Double mastectomy but single sided reconstruction?

Hi all, 

Brief history, I was diagnosed Dec 2020, had therapeutic mammoplasty on left breast, then chemo, radiotherapy, immunotherapy and hormone therapy. 

As I was only 32 when diagnosed I was tested for genetic mutations and during my radiotherapy it was confirmed I have BRCA2 gene mutation. 

I plan to have a double mastectomy and oopherectomy to reduce future risks. 

I saw my oncoloplasty last week and we discussed options. She feels having an implant on my left side would be too risky due to previous radiotherapy. I do not have enough stomach fat for DIEP , but she’s referring me to another surgeon to see if another type of flap would be possible. 

However, the more I look into it, the less I want any sort of flap reconstruction, for lots of reasons but the main one is, I already have scars on my chest I really don’t need anymore. 

So the alternative I have thought about, would be to have implant reconstruction on my right (good side), and go flat on my left side. Does this sound a bit odd? 

Has anyone got experience with this or advice, or any other comments are welcomed with thanks! 

Pips 

Hi @pips88  

I hope you’re finding our Forum useful, and that there are people’s stories you can learn from.

I found this page on our website which may be useful for your research, and you can always speak to our team of breast care nurses on freephone 0808 800 6000 (Mon-Fri 9am-4pm; Sat 9am-1pm) if you need to ask anything. If you prefer, you can leave them a message right here on this Forum, in one of these boards.

Sending our love

Bernard