Expander exchange surgery outcome

Hi there

Had my expander exchange surgery last week and feel quite disappointed with the result at this stage.  BS couldn’t get the expected size of implant in so it looks quite small, but the worst thing is the big wrinkles in the skin where the scar is.  There is still a bit of glue on it so hopefully when that comes off it’ll feel better and BS says that when it’s healed up I will be able to massage it, but can’t see how that’s going to help.  Its smaller than the other one so don’t know how to go about getting fitted for a bra either.  I know I’ll probably feel better when I’ve got used to, its all about ‘managing expectations!’ 

Thanks 

Hi - I’m so sorry you’re disappointed with the exchange surgery.

I wonder if I could ‘pick’ your brains - I was diagnosed with breast cancer last August and had a right sided mastectomy on 24th September last year and had a temporary skin expander implant inserted. I had to go for regular ‘fills’ to get it to the right size.

I had my last ‘fill’ in November last year and had to wait 3 months for things to settle down. I went back to see the consultant in February and she put me on her list to have the exchange form the skin expander to a softer more natural silicon implant and was told it would probably be April when this would be done.

We’re now nearly into July and I’m still waiting on a date for the op. I’ve phoned a few times but there’s always a reason why they can’t fit me in! Its driving me crazy as I feel the skin expander is very hard and heavy and there seems to be some swelling over the top of it recently and it’s becoming quite painful.

I was wondering if this was the treatment you had and if it was how long did you wait for the exchange to be done, and did you have any swelling and pain with the skin expander? 

Mine at the moment is hard, lumpy and sore and out of shape - hoping when I do get the exchange it looks and feels better than it is at the moment. Thanks for reading.?

Helen