Feeling extremely nervous

I am due to have my mastectomy on Wednesday (3rd Nov) after a 6 week wait.   I am feeling very anxious and scared.   I know this is all normal but is good to be able to say on here as many have/are going through the same thing. .  As yet all I know is that I will have to be one hormone suppressant tablets after for approx 5 years…… dont know about chemo/radiotherapy.

Jannie 

@Jaynie23   - Good Morning dear lady and fellow Forum clubber.

I soo remember that fear and anxiety building up before my 1st mast and full ANC (2006). Did NOT sleep the night before, which actually helped, because I felt so cream crackered when they wheeled me down to surgery, that I was more than happy to just place myself in the competent hands of anaesthetists and the surgeon, and just let it all happen.

I don’t know if all anaesthetists are the same, but whenever I’ve had ops (both boobs and a couple on a knee), they’ve always been so lovely, calming and reassuring. Told me to count down from ?? Before I knew it, I’d zonked into a wonderful deep sleep. Then waking up in warm blankets, comfy and starving hungry because of not being able to eat a while before, and being fed tea and toast. Best I’ve ever tasted.

I was amazed how “easy” it all was after all the anxious build up to it. Didn’t feel like I’d just had a major op. They’ll likely keep you on strong painkillers a couple of days, after which I was quite happy on regular Paracetamols, as strong painkillers tend to make me more fuzzy headed than I normally am  and seriously “bung up” my system. 

Afterwards, I would stress to keep, whatever your preferred painkillers be, topped up every 4 hrs. And especially before you go to bed, even if you aren’t in pain at the time, because any awkward movement in your sleep can feel uncomfortable in the early days and wake you up.

Oh, and the other tip - do your exercises religiously, and as often as possible. You’re likely to not have much else to do, so why not. As long as they aren’t pulling too much on your wound area. You’ll be amazed at how quickly you get your full range of movement back. Plus it helps prevent “cording” happening, where the tissues can tighten up, feel uncomfortable and restrict the movement.

I so wish you well with it tomorrow, Jaynie. I’ll be thinking of you, and I’m sure others will be joining you on here and will be too, along with others from your other posts as well. We’ll all be in your pocket and gunning for you gal.

Let us know how you are when you feel up to it, will you. 

Lots of love and speedy healing wishes to you,  Delly  xXx