Feeling very sorry for myself

I’m usually upbeat, manage what’s thrown at me and keep positive but today I feel really fed up.  I had my surgery a week and a half ago and thought I was doing well but over the weekend I have developed a lump under my arm which is really painful and uncomfortable. Now my shoulder and arm are also stiff and sore.  Sleeping is off the cards.  I’m going to see the nurse later today to have it looked at and drained if needed. Assuming this is a seroma.  Ive also just noticed cording in my arm pit.  I was so sure I’d recover well yet I seem to be getting all the side effects .  Im likely to have to have the full set of treatment from the oncologists  which is terrifying, I hadn’t expected this bit to be hard too. Just needed to share with people who will understand.
Moan over. 

Hiyer K8,

Down days are allowed - its really tough to keep hopeful cheer and positive vibes turned to high all the time. When you are facing the ‘full set of treatments’ something not going according to how you would hope can certainly tip your mental boat, it all becomes daunting doesn’t it ?! Just because there are a few niggles that have arrived in response to the surgery it really doesn’t mean that you won’t/aren’t recovering well, it is only a week after surgery and I know that I certainly had a seroma and cording appear at this time (though oddly not under the arm for either of them).

Do let us know how you get on with the nurse, I think they will certainly check (hopefully) that what is causing the pain under your arm isn’t infection. Did you have lumpectomy or mastectomy ? I do know of someone, a few months ago, who had a pain and symptoms like yours develop after surgery, they started fairly quickly as yours have. Initially it was thought to be seroma, but it transpired to be an infection a few days further along, when it was more obvious with redness - so (and I’m not trying to worry you, as infection is easily resolved) do make sure the nurse takes a good and proper check.

Step by step K8, don’t think too far in advance right now - view everything as small stages :slightly_smiling_face:

i don’t blame you for being fed up. You had been prepared for some pain but not this one. Cancer is not for wimps is it? It is scary, painful and uncertain. None of these things are a joy. So pat yourself on the back for not being even more sorry for yourself than you are. How would the nurses, doctors, surgeons cope with being looked after I wonder. I hear they are the worst patients of all. But maybe not!

Seagulls