Had my lumpectomy Monday

Hi, I had my lumpectomy and a few nodes taken on Monday. I was petrified going in but it was all over very quickly. I was diagnosed with stage 1 IDC and 35mm of DCIS. I was told when I woke up that the surgery went really well, but not sure what that means as I have to go for my results next Thursday and I’m dreading being told my nodes were involved. My stage 1 invasive IDC was 7mm.

Since the op I am surprisingly well. Very little pain and only paracetamol for 2 days. The area feels really itchy.

Is there anybody else at this stage? I’m dreading the next stage as I will also be told if I am HER2 + which would mean chemo with Herceptin. I’m also dreading taking Tamoxifen, I’ve read so many awful things. As you can see I’m getting ahead of myself. I’m even thinking what if it comes back already… I need to stop.

Anybody else out there at the same stage and feeling the same? Thanks so much xx

hi Getorade

There are some similarities between your stage and mine, so I thought I would respond, if only to reassure you, but I am sure there will be other ladies along soon.

I had a mastectomy on 31st October, when four nodes were taken for testing , and I get the results next Thursday. I am hoping it is not in my nodes too.

I had a biopsy of the invasive cancer and this was HER2 +. I had Herceptin separately from the other chemo to begin with ( to check for side effects) and there was none. ( I had chemo before surgery). Chemo is difficult, but the nurses are fabulous and will tweak the medications to reduce side effects, so try not to worry.

It is really common to get ahead of yourself. I was advised that I would have to choose between mastectomy or lumpectomy with radiation. I agonised over my decision, did lots of research, then at the meeting with the surgeon I was advised that mastectomy was the only option due to the large size of the DCIS. So my advice would be to deal with what you do know, and wait for the results before dealing with the next stage. It will hopefully be really good news for you ( and for me!)

Best wishes
Jane x

Thanks for replying Jane. Would be good to keep in touch with our results next Thursday :slight_smile:

Thanks for the advice, I’ll try my hardest not to run away with myself. It’s weird how all I thought about before the op was the op and now that’s over all I think about is the result and go on sites and read about others getting secondary METS and thinking this will happen to me. I’m k out normally like this I’m normally very positive but I just can’t believe this is happening.

You sound very positive and in control, I’m going to take your lead :slight_smile:

Keep in touch. Xx

Thanks Jane for the encouraging words, I’ll definitely be back in touch after my results next Thursday. Onwards and upwards and yes the wonderful string ladies on here really do keep me going. So grateful to have a place to come to and connect with people understanding what I am going through.

Speak soon

Mandy xx

Hi Getorade
You are 2 weeks ahead of me, but my surgeon just kept telling me Baby steps, baby steps so when I get ahead of myself I just say to myself baby steps and I know it is annoying but it does infact work. ?for Thursday, I have my op on Wednesday- I feel physically sick (think it the unknown that is making me feel like this) I am alway in control of my life but not now ?xx

Good luck with the op Nanna, it really is a big milestone to get that over with. Baby steps indeed but I still can’t help myself wanting all the answers now.?

Let us know how you get on after your results.

Hugs ? xx

Hi Getorade

I know you do - don’t we all, wish I knew why I/we have got this “Nasty” as my surgeon calls it. But be strong, be positive and we will beat this together. Sending big Huggs xxx

Thanks for your positive words Nanna. We will most definitely beat this. ?

Mandy xxx

Thanks so much Jane.

I received a call from the oncologist today asking if I am OK for them to use my tumour for testing to see if they can work out high risk of recurrence or low risk. It seems its some sort of genetic test and for high risk individuals they will offer chemo.

I used the time on the phone to ask him about my results. He said there was no lymph nodes involved and that they got a good clear margin. I’ll still be going in for my official results tomorrow and to talk about next steps. My HER2 results are not in yet.

The very best of to you too Jane. I will be in touch tomorrow xxx ?

Hi Jane

That’s great news. So pleased to hear this.

I’m going in today for my full results, will let you know how I get on.

What’s the next step for you?

Mandy xxx

Great we’ll both be getting results at the exact same time. ?. I have everything crossed for both of us. I’ll probably get there for 1pm haha

Speak later.

Hugs
Mandy xxx

?? sending big Huggs ??

How did you get on Jane?

My results are that they got a clear margin with 1mm to spare. The DCIS (35mm) was 1mm away from the edge of the tissue they took out. They also found an 8mm tumour which is IDC invasive which has also come out. The lymph nodes were clear.

They said the call from the oncologist yesterday who asked me for permission to test my tumour was asking to do an oncotyping test. It is something they do in America to determine whether or not they are over treating people. It will tell them if I am in the high risk or low risk group of it coming back. If I am in the high risk group then I will also be give a certain type of chemo. If I am in the low risk group, I will only have hormone therapy and radiotherapy. Either way I will have radiotherapy but only after I have heeled. I have to also wait the the results of my HER2 to come back.

Next steps are I see the oncologist for the result of my tumor test and after that either I have chemo or start hormone therapy.

They also said when my surgeon is back from hols she may want to do another op to get a bigger margin but I won’t know until I speak to her.

Xxx

Evening Janie123
That is really good news and a relief. Not surprisingly You sound as if a weight has been lifted. On wards and upwards now . Send big Huggs and have a treat day tomorrow ??

Hi ?

I had WIde local incision and SNL on Monday afternoon, home couple of hours later, I’m feeling good, I’ve been relaxing this week but heading out tomorrow, I see Oncologist in 2 weeks for results, I’ve been told I’ll also need Radiotherapy and Tamoxifen.
I was terrified of surgery but medical team made me feel at ease, I needn’t have worried at all.
Where SNL was done hurts like hell but I’m sure I’ll be ok in a few days.
I know exactly how you feel, it’s so hard not too worry but we have to stay positive!
All the best for your results
Take care
Les xx

Really good news for you Jane, I’m so pleased to hear this. Good pathological response and smaller tumour, clear nodes, all good. ??

I’m really hoping not to have chemo, I just don’t want that in my body. Can I refuse it and have Herceptin by itself if I’m HER2+?

If the oncology test comes back that I am in the high bracket I guess I have to have it.

Xxx

? Thanks Jane. Yes I think we are the same.

I need to fully understand things and if something does not make sense then I question it to the end. It often gets me in trouble ?

My oncologist won’t know what’s hit them. Hopefully they have all the answers.

Speak real soon Jane, I’m just watching Living Proof, the film about the creation Herceptin although they called it HER2.

Mandy xxx