Had surgery waiting for results

Hi everyone, this is all new to me as I’ve never even been in a hospital before. I was diagnosed after my screening recall last month and it came as a huge shock as I tick all the boxes for “How to avoid cancer”. My cancer was 6mm which doesn’t mean much to me and I had my surgery a week ago today. They removed the cancer and some lymph nodes and I’m now in that waiting period until my results next Wed.Im trying to be positive but it’s still an anxious time…im sure everyone knows that. Any tips for taking my dressings off which I’m hoping to do tomorrow, they look  as if they have been glued on and I have one on my breast and the other in my arm pit.

Hi Trotty

Don’t the nurses remove the dressings? I had mine removed the day I went for my results. You’ve had complex surgery around the lymph nodes, which involves nerve endings as well as muscle, and I’m pretty sure mine required a new dressing after a week and remained ‘dressed’ for 2 weeks. Maybe I’m a bit wimpy but I’d want someone to check it for me as soon as the dressing was off. However, if this is what you’ve been told to do, maybe ring the nurses on the number above for medical advice?

Good luck.

Hi Trotty,

Please don’t remove any dressings yourself! They should be left on for at least 2 weeks to allow everything to settle. If in doubt, don’t is my motto. Hope all goes well at your review meeting. Let us know how it goes.