Haematoma

i had my mastectomy and snb on Tuesday 25th, then drains removed on the Friday. District nurse said all looked good and swelling was fine. Since then, swelling on my side, where the edge of my breast would have been, has remained the same. I was told to contact them if it became red or hot, which it hasn’t. It feels fairly hard, but is not painful. Having read all the information gaiven to me by bcn (all breastcancernow leaflets), I guess it’s a haeatoma, and not something to be unduly concerned by. I’m going to see the surgeon on Monday morning, for the check up and pathology results. Am I right in thinking this haematoma will gradually be reabsorbed by my body? Or is my surgeon going to put on his unsmiling face? Or worse, cut it open? I’m feeling like I just don’t want any more poking, cutting or prodding at the moment!

Dear Sharlea,

I have a similar problem after my surgery, and need to have antibiotics, as it was quite a nasty infection, maybe a call to hospital for some advise before Monday, if this is an infection the sooner you get medication the better. I don’t want to worry you, but please check it out.

Wishing you well, big hugs Tili :rainbow:

I would say that if it doesn’t feel hot or red then it is probably ok to leave it until your appointment.

It is not that long since your surgery. I found things took a while to settle down. I had a mastectomy in August last year. At my follow up meeting with my surgeon about a month after I still had a significant swelling on one side. Over time this has gone down, but it took a few months. Similarly my scar has approved in appearance and has faded in colour over time.