Immediate Diep Flap reconstruction pre and post surgery

Hi everyone, I am on day 10 post op for a right sided mastectomy, sentinal node biopsy and immediate Diep Flap reconstruction. I thought it might be helpful to share my reasons for choosing this type of surgery and my experience after surgery. I had WLE  previously in the same breast in 2016 for high grade DCIS plus 15 rounds of radiotherapy, er/pr negative. On my last (5th) year surveillance mammogram a new cluster of calcifications were detected in the same site plus a new area of invasive ductal carcinoma. My only option at this point was a masectomy, I knew I did not want an implant or anything foreign in my body so for me it was either try the Diep or stay flat, I’m a young 52 year old not ready to accept that just yet. My surgery was just over 11 hrs, it went really well and medically they were really pleased with the surgery and my observations. I cannot tell you how scared I was to have such a long surgery but that’s understandable, there would be something wrong if I wasnt. Emotionally I found it hard to accept the surgery and it took a long time for the anaesthetic to leave my body, honestly only started to feel the brain fog leave in the last couple of days. But, I am amazed how I have turned a corner, beyond chuffed with my new breast which started to have sensation around three days post op and now feels like part of me, because it is part of me! My mobility is getting better each day as I continue to heal and am doing my exercises as recommended. I currently only require ibuprofen and paracetamol but only when I feel I need it. I am in awe of the surgeons skill, I have a brand new belly button and a flat but still numb stomach with a surprisingly considerate scar about 1.5 inches above my pubic line running in the curve of my groin area from hip bone to hip bone. Most importantly they have cut the cancer out of my body and that’s the priority, reconstruction was a choice but I’m so glad I was brave enough to go for it. Love and hugs to anyone out there who is going through this terrible disease xx

Dear Vanmack,

How nice to read such a positive response to your surgery, wishing you well with lots of very happy days ahead.

Please take good care, look after yourself one day at a time.

Big hugs brave lady :rainbow: x

Thank you for sharing this! I had a mastectomy for dcis in April last year and wasn’t able to have recon at the time due to covid. Currently on the waiting list for a Diep but been feeling anxious about it. Wondering if it’s worth going through such a long surgery. Like you I didn’t want an implant as didn’t want anything foreign in me! 
glad to hear it’s gone well, you have restored my faith In My decision. Thank you  

Becky xxx

Thank you for sharing this, I will have surgery soon and I’m petrified but your message has given me a real boost. Thanks so much 

Hi Vanmack, I am just going through consultation for diep now. Could I ask how you feel and look a year on please? Did you have any reduction surgery to your other boob or were they able to match it up? Many thanks. x

You have helped me with your share.  Thank you.

I am going through this same dilemma now, whether to have the diep flap reconstruction or just mastectomy. The duration of the surgery really scares me. I’m 53, otherwise fit, well active and healthy so the cancer diagnosis has knocked me for 6. Please may I ask what the deciding factor for you was?