Implant in boob that has had radiotherapy...any problems with it??

Hi all…back on here for the third time ? anyway saw oncologist yesterday and basically it’s a mastectomy this time…I’m trying not to look like a patchwork quilt so said I would prefer implants … she said it maybe a problem as that boob has had previous radiotherapy so I just wondered if anyone has had implants over radiotherapy area and if so has there been any problems? Also I’m pushing for a double for symmetry and would be very interested to hear from both single and double mastectomy people who have had any sort of reconstruction…how they/it looks…for symmetry or likeness to other breast. Thank you in advance

Hi again :slightly_smiling_face:

I had radiotherapy to the left side, albeit many years back, and this year had a bilateral mastectomy and implant reconstruction. I’m only 7 weeks on, but I don’t really see any difference between the two sides. Maybe it’s time? Can you ask your consultant to be more specific about what she’s concerned about?

Symmetry is pretty good, not perfect, but then neither are natural ones! I think my nipples (which I got to keep, to my surprise!) are slightly different levels, for instance. Of course, that might be because I was a cup size out between sides anyway, and needed a reduction first.

I was getting the double for medical reasons but I too would have pushed for both sides anyway. I know everyone is different, but I have the impression for others I know that dissatisfaction with the reconstruction seemed worse because the real one was always right there for comparison. I’m still getting used to the ‘noo bewbs’ but they just are my boobs now. Bonus: no sagging

Of course, there are downsides, and I have very little sensation now. Some might return, some almost certainly won’t. I think that’s a big reason docs are unwilling to take both if they don’t have to. In terms of how they feel, well, pretty similar if a little firmer (in a good way) and fuller. I do have a bit of rippling at the edges, especially when I lie down, but lipofill might fix that down the line.