Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Implants over the muscle with Braxon mesh

5 REPLIES 5
Evie-S
Community Champion

Re: Implants over the muscle with Braxon mesh

Hi Catbear

You ask some really good questions, hope I can help. MrsR - sorry to hear that yours didn't work and wish you all the best for your next operation.

I do agree with MrsR about the implant looking different to my other breast, but that won't be a problem for you. It's kind of hard to describe but I'll give it a go! My left breast is small, but sort of triangle shape whereas the implant breast is bigger and more round (and has no nipple). At first it bothered me but I have got used to it now. I use a prosthesis for my left breast to even things up as the implant has made the right one too big.

I didn't have the option of back or tummy flaps as I didn't have enough fat, but I had always wanted an implant because of the quicker recovery time. I had node clearance at the same time so my recovery was probably a bit longer than if I had just had the implant, but I was back driving in about 3-4 weeks.

Ok, let me answer your questions:

Yes the implant feels secure. As above, it looks more like celebrities after a "boob job" (not that I look like a celebrity though!!), if that makes sense. I really don't notice it now, as with anything new it took some time to get used to it plus I couldn't raise my arm fully for a while.

I can swim and exercise with no problems - except the limitations my surgeon advised to try to avoid lymphoedema, but that would have been the same with any reconstruction or no implant. I still do arm exercises to stop that area getting tight. I think the slight tightness I have is more linked to the nodes being removed. I don't notice the implant at all when I swim.

I didn't have any fat graft at all, just the implant.

My plastic surgeon said it's a relatively new procedure and that the recovery time is the same as for a mastectomy. He suggested I google "pre-pectoral implant" to get information about it and I found more information from the US where more people seem to have had this procedure. He did tell me that he has recommended this procedure to patients who are keen athletes.

Hope this helps - I'm very happy to discuss it more.

Evie xx

Catbear

HI Linda, thank you very much for your honest comments. I wonder if many women have problems with rippling, creasing and lack of fat over the implant.  I was also told that I didn’t have enough fat for a Diep flap and in the panic of hearing I had cancer went with the implant under the muscle. I wasn’t offered the implant over the muscle with Braxon mesh at the time of my surgery since my surgeon doesn’t do this procedure. Since then I have been for a second opinion and this procedure was offered to me. 

I can totally sympathise with how you are feeling as I feel pretty much the same and just don’t know what to do. Although I have implants my breasts still aren’t symmetrical, don’t feel particularly comfortable and despite the fact that I specifically requested not to have large implants I have ended up being a M &S D cup. I hope the Diep flap works for you. I will certainly keep your comments in mind as I make a list of questions for my next doctor’s appointment. 

Thank you,

Catbear

MrsR

Hi Catbear

I had a single mastectomy with a braxon mesh implant over the muscle at the end of November 2017.  Recovery wise I was back to work in the new year with no problems.  I go to the gym, run, use weights etc.  Initially it felt very strange and heavy but you do get used to it.

However, it is very different from the other breast - but it you are bilateral then then that wouldn't be an issue.  I do have major problems with rippling and creasing along the upper part of the breast where there is little fat and I can feel the implant through the skin. I now have to use a filler in my bra on that side as it is so flat across the top. I have been back to plastic surgery to look at options - one would be to put the implant under the muscle which I have discounted.  Another option is fat grafting/lipofilling - however I have told it would probably take 3 - 4 operations and there is no guarantee that I would be happy with the result.  I was also told by the consultant that approx 50% of these implants need replacing within 10 years.  The rippling and creasing is so bad that I have made a decision to have the implant removed and go for a Diep flap - I was not offered this option at my original consultation last year, was told that I did not have enought fat on my stomach to do this and that a braxon implant was my only option.  I have now been told by the other consultant that I do have enough (am the same weight now as I was last year).  Do feel really frustrated that I was not given this option as would have gone for it last year as really struggled to get my head round having an implant and that fact the my breasts look so very different from each other.

Hope that helps - really dont want to put you off having the braxon mesh as I do know a lot of people are happy with it, it just didnt really work for me.  Happy to answer any other questions.

Linda

Catbear

Hi Evie,

Thank you for your reply. Yes, I had a bilateral! 

I was wondering the following:

Does the implant feel secure? Does it look like an implant or a proper breast? Does it feel comfortable or do you have any tightness? Does the implant feel heavy?

Are you able to swim and do regular exercise? Work out at a gym with weights etc with this kind of implant? 

I have tightness with my present implants that are under the muscle and the muscle is continuing contracting when I work out.

Did you also have to have fat grafting? The doctor I consulted would also do this in my case. 

How long did it take you to recover?

I am finding it very difficult to find any information about implants with Braxon mesh and so any information would be useful. Do you know whether many doctors are now starting to use this method and if the general feeling  is that this is the best way forward?

Sorry about so many questions but if you are able to offer any suggestions or information then that would be great. 

Thank you,

Catbear

Evie-S
Community Champion

Hi Catbear

I'm sorry to hear that you are so unhappy with your recon. I had a single mastectomy and recon using an implant on top of the muscle with Braxon in May 2017 and am very happy to answer any of your questions. I am happy enough with mine, the only issue I have is that it doesn't match my real one. That wouldn't be an issue for you if you have both done at the same time. Please do send any specific questions or concerns and I'll see if I can answer.

Evie xx

Catbear

Implants over the muscle with Braxon mesh

I had a bilateral mastectomy with immediate reconstruction using implants under the muscle. (March 2018) I am extremely distressed with the poor results of the reconstruction. I had a second opinion and a surgeon suggests that I get implants over the muscle with Braxon mesh. I would be interested in hearing from any ladies who have had this procedure.