Incision won't heal

I had oncoplastic breast reduction 5 weeks ago. On the left (DCIS) side I then had to convert to mastectomy since the first surgery didn’t get it all, but the right side remained a normal reduction.

Except that the incision isn’t healing. It was an inverted T incision, and more than an inch of the vertical part reopened. The stitches popped out, and now it’s sitting there, wide open.

My surgeon says it’s OK, just keep it covered, but it’s been weeks, and it’s still very painful and also disgusting. The skin around the wound is starting to break down from the constant dressing changes and wetness. I can’t seem to find a way to bandage and support it that’s actually comfortable.

Is there any way to help it heal faster? Better dressing options? Is there any way to reduce the pain? I’m not sure how much more of this I can take.

For context, I’m only 40 years old, I haven’t had radiation or chemo and I don’t have diabetes or any other medical condition that should impair wound healing. I’ve had other surgeries in the past, and nothing like this has ever happened to me before.

Update: I saw the surgeon again, said it’s going to be another 2-3 months.

They recommended gauze dressing, but I find the rough gauze very painful. I’ve started using these little patches called hydrocolloid. They’re expensive, but it’s more than worth it to be able to move around comfortably.

One thing I forgot to ask is about activity. Just how careful do I need to be in using my arms?