cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is nipple reconstruction worth it?

10 REPLIES 10
Community Champion

Re: Is nipple reconstruction worth it?

I had Paget's disease and lost my nipple, I was offered reconstruction but turned it down. I simply don't want to be pulled about anymore BUT I had surgery, chemo, radiation and Herceptin.

I had a tattoo but it did not last and I have a stick on nipple that attaches with eyelash type glue but I never wear it!

After having a nipple reconstruction, I would say if you can afford 3D tattoo go for it,

NHS reconstruction if ok, however as you said it goes flat no sure I would bother again if needed.

Good luck with your decision big hugs 🤗 

Hi

I had a nipple made, the surgeon cut the skin and twisted it to make it look like a nipple.  The only reason I had it done was because they were doing a revised uplift on my other breast and some liposculpting.  At first it looked great but it began to flatten pretty quickly.  I then had my nipple tattooed by my surgeon (I thought the nurse was doing it do felt so guilty when I walked into the operating theatre with 2 surgeons and nurses looking after me).  They use weaker ink on NHS and the colour match wasn’t great with what they had available.  That being said it really helped my reconstructed boob look real.

So if I had a chance to rewind the clock I wouldn’t bother with the nipple reconstruction and would look to find a private tattooist that can do 3D tattoos.  There is a lady called Clare in Poole that does it for free and trains other people so often wants models.

Thanks for the replies. Really useful to know people’s experience. I think tattooing will probably achieve what I want, which is to cover scarring and match up the two boobs. Well as much as is possible! Seeing the surgeon again in december so have time to make a decision. I had an uplift and implant exchange in August so still need time to recover from this surgery. I don’t know if you find this, but when people ask me about my surgeries they are always interested in whether I kept my nipple or not. Whilst I know it is not really any of their business, I think this has made me feel that I should have nipple reconstruction. I know I’ve got to make a decision for me though! 
Thanks 

Smash

Hello ladies. I had nipple sharing to create a new nipple on my recon side. I was so desperate at the time to get my recon looking looking the same. Sadly, it didn't work for me and almost immediately went flat. I went on to have the areola tattooed on. I think at the time my head was all over the place and I just wanted my boob back! By nipple sharing I also lost sensation in the remaining nipple. If I had my time again I would just have a tattoo, like you said MM to create a focal point which I totally understand. 

Hope this helps and look forward to hearing what you decide to do..xxx

Hi Smash73

As I've said for me the tattoo does not seem to last very long.  However even though it has now faded and I will have it repeated, it completed transformed the look of the breast and made the whole reconstruction look like a real breast as there was a focal point (if you know what I mean)?

The nurse matches up the colour of the tattoo ink with your other nipple and areola to be as close a match as possible.  It doesn't take very long to do.

I was told that the tattoos will fade so always knew it was not a permanent solution and so next year I hope to get it re-done and will continue in that mode for the future.

I'd say go for it!

MM

x

Hi MM

That information is really helpful. I have a similar dilemma to Smodge as don’t know what to do about nipple reconstruction either. I feel I need something, to hide the scar if nothing else. Does the tattooing just match up with the colour and size of the Areola on the other side? I have seen the 3D tattoos which look good. My surgeon is really not keen on the nipple reconstruction, says they go flat. 
Difficult to know what to do...!

Smash

Hi Smodge

I had a nipple replacement (from the same reconstruction, not nipple sharing) and it went flat very quickly, within a few months which was upsetting.  I also had tattoos done.  I had a second lot of tattoos done in December (normal to have 2 lots), but it has almost comleptely gone now only 10 months later!

With hindsight I wouldn't bother with the nipple reconstruction.  At first it looked fabulous but only stayed that way for a very short time and all the visits to hospital etc to check it and the surgery itself I found it not to be worth it.

I will have the tattoos repeated though as it is a quick procedure and really does make the breast look normal and balanced.

Hope this was helpful!

MM

x

Thanks Smash73. I'd prefer to have a nipple of sorts because the front of my foob is quite flat so having something which actually raises its profile (literally) would be great, but if the results are poor and it often or quickly goes flat, maybe it's not worth all the extra messing....would be nice not to have another surgery if you know what I mean! x

Hello Smodge

I do not have any helpful advice I’m afraid, but responding as I have the exact same dilemma. I’ve just had new implant and lift on good side, so next step is nipple reconstruction and/or tattoo. Surgeon said to me the nipples can go flat and the tattoos fade. I’m coming round to the idea of a decorative tattoo instead over the scar on foob side, but I would really like to hear people’s experiences too. Good luck whatever you decide. 

Is nipple reconstruction worth it?

Hi all,

I had a skin sparing mx and LD flap reconstruction last summer which has healed well and so now it's time for the last stage: a nipple reconstruction. I had wanted this all along to make the foob look a bit more realistic, but now I'm beginning to wonder if the results will be worth undergoing the extra surgery, discomfort and recovery. I've heard that they often go flat after a year or two and that the NHS tattoos are often very basic and fade quickly too.

So I'm wondering if it may be better to forgo the nipple surgery and instead pay to have a 3d tattoo?

Being nipple-less doesn't bother me so much now I've got more used to it and a decent tattoo may produce the desired effect (of looking more 'normal' at a glance). I'd be really keen to hear your experiences of either, to help me decide!

Many thanks, Smodge