Did you mean: 

Is there ‘someone like me’?

104 REPLIES 104
Highlighted

Re: Is there ‘someone like me’?

Hi Astra, good luck for tomorrow. You will be just fine 🤗xx

Highlighted

Thanks Kate. Good to know you’re going away with the girls, go girls! Have good fun.

BernieD, thanks and thinking of you for tomorrow and next 15days🤗😘xx

Highlighted

Thanks Kate, will do.

Very best of everything for you too, and for everyone.  x x Heart x x

Highlighted

Good luck, I had 2 lumpectomies before but as my DCIS was so widespread I then needed the mastectomy. Luckily histology and lymph nodes were all clear so nothing else needed except maybe hormone therapy.

Hopefully yours will go that way too. However one thing I’ve learned is that no two people ever have the exact same story.  This has been my life since November and it seems very odd not having had any appointments for two weeks when since early June I’ve been back and forward at least twice a week! 

Let us know how you get on x

Highlighted

Hi Kate

So glad you are healing well.  I am having lumpectomy and lymph removed told they won't know the extent to those have been analyzed.  I think I am still in shock and probably even more after the op, can't quite believe its all happening.

Enjoy your time away with the ladies 🙂

Highlighted

Syke - yes you need to keep an eye on the other side definitely. Don’t let them fob you off if you are worried.

I’m worried about mine with no reason to be, just because it’s still there 😩

Glad your daughter is feeling better x

Highlighted

Hi Astra,

I am a bit better every day now thanks. Infection all gone and boob settling down a bit at last, still sore where it’s stitched in but hoping that will calm down soon too. Got a girls weekend away in 5 weeks time so really looking forward to that.

Are you having the same op? Good luck you will be fine I’m sure. Let us know how you get on.

Kate x

Highlighted

How are you doing KMG?

I hope you are doing ok after your op.

Thinking of you.

I am in for my op on Wednesday.

Hugs and thoughts to all the brave ladies. Heart

Highlighted

Thanks Syke, 15days of radiotherapy coming up. Then six weeks later back to plastic surgeon to access the damage. That's a shame about the wee one. I have a couple of friends who's daughter's have crohns and it's not pleasant but both girls have fighting spirits and a good mental attitude. Keep on talking about your other boob worries regardless. Who is gonna look out for you if you don't? Bx

Highlighted

Hey Benie, good luck with radiation & fingers crossed boobs would survive it. I can imagine you not looking forward to it at all, I guess this was why I was shivering like a leave when I went for my results, but you will be just fine. I will be thinking of you for Wednesday. How many days of Rads have you got?

Sincerely I am worried about the other boob, you know even ultrasound never picked up my 12cm+ DCIS in the first place, so don’t know if something is being missed (maybe I am being paranoid😁). I still had a little discharge yesterday, I will just keep an eye on it and if it persist will check with them again. I have decided to disconnect from everything at the moment and live life😊

Highlighted

Thanks Kate & BernieD, she got diagnosed with Crohn’s disease 2weeks ago and was placed on some strong medication (her pancreas got inflamed from drugs hence we ended up in hospital again, so consultant is changing it). We are back home now, she’s back to her cheeky old self 😊

Kate, good to know boob’s settling down and taking on the right colour phew! Yes definitely have to take it slow as your body has been through a lot the last month. glad no more mention of Tamoxifen (meaning once boob is completely settled, you can sort of like put this whole episode behind you and move on).

Highlighted

Hi Syke, I'm ok thanks, starting radiotherapy on wed. Not looking forward to it. Neither is my poor boobie. Hope your wee one is ok, glad you got the all clear. Bx

Highlighted

Oh that’s good news, hopefully it won’t happen again (was it just the once?) Hope your little one is ok?

I’m doing mostly ok now thanks, been off ABs for a week now, skin is settling down slowly and becoming softer and better colour again. Got this and next week off still to make sure it doesn’t flare up again so probably back to work after August BH. Will have to take it slowly I think, a few hours out of the house still has me exhausted 😩 

No more mention of Tamoxifen so I’m keeping my head down on that one! 

Kx

Highlighted

Hi Kate sorry for slow response, stuck in hospital with my little one, so very slow in responding to things. They did a scan on the other breast and it’s all clear. He said it might be inflamed duct and that it might happen again, but nothing to worry about except it’s if it’s bloody discharge . So very relieved about that. 

How are you doing Kate? Hope things are settling for you?

BernieD, how’s it going with you? I joined this group sometime back, young breast cancer network (uk) on Facebook, not sure if you’ve heard of them, it’s a very good group too..xx

Highlighted

Hi Syke82,

How did you get on today with your other side appointment? All ok I hope x

Kate x

Highlighted

Here’s hoping it doesn’t mess with your nipple or implant Bernie🤞Have you checked out any radiotherapy threads I’m sure you’ll get help/reassurance/advice there x

I’ve not been able to wear a ‘normal’ bra yet due to sore skin but yes I guess could try just hoiking up the droopy side. Mine don’t really fit me now as I’m smaller than I was. Don’t want to buy new ones until it’s all settled to ensure I get the right size. Still wearing the reco-bra, stretchy crop top ones or none at all just now. I don’t suppose anyone else would notice but I do!

Highlighted

Hey kate.To level up my boobs I have one bra strap higher than the other seems to work ok for me. Bx

Highlighted

Thanks Syke, I will have a look at the lifters, I’m a B cup too. The surgeon explained that as there is only a thin layer of skin over the implant with a blood supply it will take longer for the drugs to reach that area. If I had it the infection the other side then the blood supply in the breast tissue would take up the drugs too and it would flood the area quicker, makes sense I guess. She said I’m not out of the woods yet but she could see an improvement (not sure I can TBH - but maybe I’m looking too often!) Just hope I can keep more surgery off the cards for the near future if at all possible 🤞

Hope 13th goes ok and it’s nothing to worry about x

Highlighted

Hi syke, there's a few options with expanders. They can exchange for silicon or leave expander in only removing the fill up port. Mine's is filled to the max. (Complete with a very attractive side boob. 😁 ) radiotherapy can harden the surrounding tissue resulting in smaller replacement boob. This would annoy me because the surgeon and nurses have worked hard to get a good result, it's also a similar size to my own boob at the moment. My surgeon said it would be a tragedy if it messed with my saved nipple. 😲 Planning appointment is Monday morning. I get more info then. Take care and continue to heal. 💗Bernie

Highlighted

Oh my BernieD, wasn’t expecting that. Like KMG said, at least the nasties are all going to be fried now! If I am correct, they use expanders for Radiotherapy before they put in proper implants (I think I read that somewhere), if what you got in are expanders, then that should be ok. When do you start RT? Sending you loads of 🤗 xx

Highlighted

Hi Kate, it’s good there’s no seroma/sign of infection. That boob’s been pulled through so much the past few weeks, so probably need so abit of time to settle. It would be great if you don’t end up in theatre again. Regards to dropping boob, I use the stick on lifters for my other boob to help with lift until it’s fixed😊. I am a size B, so it works for me. got it on amazon (just type in invisible strapless push-up bra) and see if it would be of any help.

Got a letter through yesterday and they will see me 13th August for the other breast as it’s being treated as a new complaint, fingers crossed no drama there😊

CA657273-AEEF-44C9-BC8F-D6FF3F304BDD.jpeg

Highlighted

Oh Bernie, at least those cells will get zapped good and proper, and there is a lot they can do now if your implant is affected. RT will be done while you have the expander in I assume so could it be expanded more if it were to shrink any? We can compare notes/moan about Tamoxifen together for years to come! When (if) my new boob ever heals I think I’ll need (or at least would like) some tweaking to the other side as it’s quite droopy in comparison even in a bra which I think is quite noticeable. 

Fingers crossed for you - when does it start? x

Highlighted

Hey syke and kate, appointment today turned out to be with consultant. Very nice and explained what's now going on. Turns out cancer cells were found in my chest wall as well. 3weeks of radiotherapy and 5-10 years of tamoxifen. Just need to wait and see how the implant reacts to radiotherapy. Keep your fingers crossed as it's looking quite good just now and would be a waste to lose it now. 💗bx

Highlighted

I had a reprieve! Surgeon decided to give the antibiotics a bit longer.  No real change in colour yet and a bit swollen again so had ultrasound yesterday but dr said no seroma to drain, so not sure what that is about or if I should be worried. Back to see surgeon tomorrow so hopefully will find out. I should just take a sleeping bag in really (this will be my 13th clinic visit since 3rd June!) 

Keep on at them for appt - 2 weeks seems while to wait for something like that? Hope it’s nothing to worry about x

Bernie hope you got on ok with RT today x

Highlighted

Awww BernieD, had you in my thoughts this morning! When it’s toasted!😂, at least one thing  cancer cant steal is our sense of humour 😊.  I am learning to take it one day at a time these day, don’t think too far ahead, just deal with everyday.

breast care nurse will sort appointment for next 2 weeks  for the leaking nipple. Kate, how did Monday go, hope you ok? Like BernieD said, you definitely due some good news soon. I am sincerely keeping my fingers and everything crossed for us all 💕😘xx

Highlighted

Hey syke and kate, ain't this just a pain. Fingers crossed for your other boob syke, good idea taking pics of it. Kate you've been through the wars your due some good news soon. I've got radiotherapy and tamoxifen to look forward to next and was worrying how my reconstruction will cope. It's looking good just now and I'm hoping it won't shrink or warp when it's toasted. 😉 bx

Highlighted

Oh goodness Kate! Feels like it’s one rollercoaster that’s not stopping (this mastectomy palaver!). At least the disease is out, if that’s any consolation, I am thinking of and keeping everything crossed for you Kate. I will definitely giving them a ring today as I am learning not to take things for granted anymore. Please keep us posted, sending loads of love 💕 yours and BenieD’s way 😘xx

Highlighted

Oh gosh Syke yes definitely get that checked out and let us know how it goes x

Unfortunately my skin is not much improved despite even more ABs since Thursday so I am nil by mouth from 7am tomorrow (Monday) in case my surgeon decides I need to have the implant site flushed out or even to have it removed for a while 😞

I feel fine and have no discomfort and not on any painkillers, but surgeon is concerned that cellulitis is not clearing. Dreading tomorrow as could end up right back where I was 7 weeks ago. I started a new thread yesterday (implant removal fears) to see if this had happened to anyone else and how it turned out x

Highlighted

Fingers crossed for you Kate, hope it went well and you are much better?

@BenieD thanks, true words about remembering you will recover heal and move on when down. When life throws one these obstacles, it’s best to pick yourself up, dust yourself, hold your head high and move on, easier said than done though, but we can only try 😊. Hope both your appointments went well?

On a different note, I found something odd in my good breast today. When I took of my bra, I found some clumps on my nipples, wiped it off, after this, there was a little dark orangeish discharge  on the nipple, not a lot though. I took photos of it but I am sincerely spooked, I am too worried to google anything. I am not sure if this is normal given what the body has just been through but thinking of checking with the BCN. 

Highlighted

Hi RoxanneT

Hope you don't  mind me messaging you but I've just read your reply after I was going to post a new subject regarding my tissue expander and noticed you had also had one.  I had a right mx towards the end of April and have had my tissue expander filled twice. My surgeon told me they took off 525cc and I have only had it filled to 400cc as I thought I wouldn't want it as big as my other one as I need to lose weight for a diep and then my natural one would be smaller.  A few weeks after my last fill my expander has moved by the look of it or the saline has dropped and now I have one side of the expander sticking out and what seems full of air?  

I'm in two minds whether to get in touch with my bcn as to whether this is normal or does it just look like this now as its not full? Just wondered what you had experienced?

Thanks 

Sharon 

Highlighted

So happy for you syke. Time to heal and get off this horrible ride. You too kate. I'm seeing consultant on Thursday for my treatment plan and I can see it far enough. When your feeling down remember you will recover and heal then move on. This is a blip in the shenanigans of life. 💗bx

@syke82 wrote:

Thanks ladies, Got my results today, nodes are clear and Just DCIS so no Radiotherapy/chemo needed. The dcis was 112mm though (surgeon didn’t expect it to be that big) and intermediate to high grade (when I was diagnosed, I was told low to intermediate). I was literally shaking like a leaf when I went in for my results today, never been that scared in my life.

BenieD & Kate, hope you both doing ok?x

Highlighted

Wow that’s great news I bet you’re relieved. My DCIS was over 20mm on top of the 60mm already taken and high grade so a mastectomy was the only way to go really to get rid of it. I was so surprised that I didn’t need anything further it took a while to sink in.

I’m still very sore and quite red so just hope the infection really starts to recede quickly soon. If it doesn’t I’m dreading it as will probably have to have the implant removed and start over which would be a nightmare.

I have 5 more days on ABs but will see surgeon on Thurs so see what she thinks then. Wish me luck!🤞xxx

Highlighted

Thanks ladies, Got my results today, nodes are clear and Just DCIS so no Radiotherapy/chemo needed. The dcis was 112mm though (surgeon didn’t expect it to be that big) and intermediate to high grade (when I was diagnosed, I was told low to intermediate). I was literally shaking like a leaf when I went in for my results today, never been that scared in my life.

BenieD & Kate, hope you both doing ok?x

Highlighted

Hi syke, I waited 10 days for my appointment with the consultant. I've been told it can take up to 4 weeks. Hopefully you'll hear soon. I have my fingers crossed for you. Bx

Highlighted

Hooray! Thursday 6pm nearly and I just need to wait for prescriptions then can go home after a week 👍

I had my ops on a Monday and got results the following Thursday - so 10 days. Do you have an appointment scheduled? 3 weeks seems a long time x

Highlighted

I know right! anyways a few more huddles as you say, the best we can do is keep a positive spirit and keep fighting. I am still awaiting results, it’s gone past 3weeks now and still waiting, did any of you have to wait this long?x

Highlighted

Hey syke, glad to hear your on the road to recovery, that was quite a dramatic time you had recently.😮I have a cat scan on Thursday then a plan will be put in place with treatment soon after. Wish I was clear and could just focus on getting fit but that would seem too much to ask. Whatever!!! Just a few more hurdles to get over. 😉 take care. Bx

Highlighted

Hey BernieD, I know right! Definitely worth saying if you ever meet her again, will teach her to be more sensitive and empathic. Breast care clinic checked & scanned the boobs, said all looks good that the cordlike thing might be deep vein thrombosis (now, that scared me), so came in to see one of the surgeons today who say he thinks it’s where the strattice is attached/sewn, says to massage with oil and should get better with time. Will just keep an eye on it, he checked for fluid collection, all looked good. 

Ya, definitely keeping fingers crossed for you that it would probably just be Radiotherapy (any idea when you start this yet?) also good you have a full diary, definitely keep your mind off this to some extent. Sending you loads of 💕 xx

Highlighted

Oh no Kate!  Sorry to here you’ve had a set back, Just when I thought your were sort of home and dry with this bit. I hate antibiotics with a passion🤮, hope you are coping ok with them though and hope You all sorted and back home soon, sending you loads of 🤗 x

Highlighted

Hey kate. Sorry to hear you were kept in. Hope you have 2 ear plugs this time.😮, hopefully you'll be home soon. 🙏  I had another top up today as they're in a hurry to get me filled so that it can cope with the radiotherapy. Chemo was mentioned today and made me a bit apprehensive. My chest scan is Thursday and I'm hoping for a miracle. This certainly spoils your plans. I should be in Cornwall right now😩. My diary is full of appointments and lunch dates with friends. So half my time is lovely. Take care. You know where I am if you need a laugh, cry or a good rant. 💗bx

Highlighted

Hey syke, I'm glad you got the drains out. Freedom!!!. Watch out for the dreaded thrush after the antibiotics. 😳. Seems a strange place to have the tendon thing under the boob, my first thought was cording but that's usually under the arm.be interested to know what it is.  Hope all went well today at bc nurse. 👍 I got my expander filled again today and it wasn't as bad as last week. I'd love to see that doc and tell her in the words of the late great spike Milligan, "see i told you I was ill" 😀bx

Highlighted

Happy Yester-Birthday Linda! 

Unfortunately I am in hospital on IV antibiotics for infection. Woke up to red swollen boob on Weds, given antibiotics and back Thurs to get some fluid drained off. Swelled right back up and felt ill with fever and redness had spread so to a&e Thursday evening and was dealt with really quickly considering. In at 6:50pm and on a drip by 8:15pm, in bed on ward by 11:15pm. Initial blood test results show infection is in the skin not in the fluid so they can’t drain it as putting a needle in could spread the infection inside which could be a nightmare and mean having to have the implant removed. Need to clear the infection and deal with fluid afterwards. Change of abs today as they were not working, few more to try so will be in a few days yet. My surgeon is on holiday but they called her to let her know and she is gutted. She will be in to see me on Monday as she is operating over here.

I always say I had ‘non-invasive cancer’. Cancer cells are Cancer in my book whether they’re contained or not. I thought I’d got off quite lightly not needing more treatment but maybe not so much! 

Keep smiling all (or is that grimacing?) 😊😄😁😬

xxx

Highlighted

Awww BernieD, so much for the doctor saying she didn’t know what to put down! My surgeon kept saying Linda you have DCIS not cancer and I remembered what you said and was really getting upset every time she mentioned it 😡. Hope your CAT scan go ok BernieD, thinking of you.

My drains are out and of antibiotics, so feel more human now😊. Spotted a tendon/artery like stuff poking out under the constructed breast stretching to my rib cage this morning, so going to have it checked out at the breast clinic to make sure it’s normal.

KMG, hope the dripping has stopped and things beginning to settle for you.

also was my birthday yesterday and totally forgot about it till my other half reminded me the day before😊

can’t  wait to put all this drama behind me 😊. Ya trying to enjoy the sun, got to make the best of every moment.

Highlighted

Hope you get your scan soon Bernie, and your results Syke82. Jay82 any update from you? Hope you are doing ok?

I am signed off another two weeks, wound still seeping a bit, strapped up with steri strips and having fluid taken off regularly. Fed up now and just want dressings off and pain gone. Not on painkillers last few days but it’s still a bit uncomfortable. Can drive so at least can get out a bit now. 

Nice weather at last this weekend so have topped up my tan a bit 👍

What is normal again? 

Kx

Highlighted

Woah syke. That's a traumatic time you've had up to now. Hopefully you'll make steady recovery. I've been ok. Got results last Thursday and I'm disappointed that they found more than dcis. I'm waiting for a cat scan to decide the next course of action. My recon is going well too so I'm worried that I'll probably need radiotherapy and implants don't like that. The drains are a.ball n chain. Hope you get them out as planned. 💗bx

Highlighted

Hi BernieD, thanks only just picked up messages. Got out Saturday as had to stay an extra day as antibiotics were making me sickly, so came home with anti sickness tablets to take with them. I am getting better by the day, drains come out next week Tuesday as had to keep them in for 2weeks. Awaiting histology results now😊, hope you doing ok? Anyone of you got histology results yet?

Highlighted

Hey syke, did you get out yesterday? How are you feeling now.? Bx

Highlighted

No just the left for now, surgeon said better to focus on the dcis breast for now but they can always do the other eventually if I am still committed to removing it 

will just focus on getting better for now, that way I can get back home tomorrow but all my numbers are good today.

Highlighted

Oh crikey syke82 what a nightmare! Glad you’re all on the mend now. Did you have both done? Hope all goes ok and you can get home on Friday ok x

Highlighted

Aww man that is rotten luck. Better happening in hospital than at home tho. Hope you get over this wee hurdle quickly. I had 2 drains in the one boob. Feeling stronger each day. Baby steps and try being patient. 💗bx