Is there ‘someone like me’?

Just seen a fb post with a link to Someone like Me. Followed the link, but as I don’t have primary BC or genetics there is no email candidate for me to choose to link up with in a similar situation. 

I have DCIS and after two WLE I now need a full left mastectomy with immediate recon (tissue expander and later a perm implant) which is booked for 3rd June. I don’t have children, I’m 50 and this was picked up at my first mammogram in November last year. I’m really struggling the nearer this gets, for me all the more as I am not (currently) in a life-threatening situation and although I understand this is for my own good and will mean I will hopefully not have to face that - it is still completely devastating. I will hopefully not need any chemo and/or RT (but not holding my breath, my situation has got worse at every stage so far so I’m rather ‘glass half empty’ just now).

I’m scared. Of the op, the recovery, what I will look like after, what I will feel like after, that it will come back (worse), that I will get the same or worse on the other side, that no one understands how I feel, that I’m a bit of a fraud as my cancer (it has ‘carcinoma’ in its name so in my book it is cancer) is not yet invasive.

I am in awe of all the brave ladies who have faced worse diagnoses and more aggressive treatment than me, but I’m still scared. 

Is there actually ‘someone like me’? 

Sending you hugs, KMG, it is a scary time.

There is a DCIS section, where you may find people in a similar situation to you. You have already been through a lot, don’t feel you haven’t got the right to be scared xx

Hi KMG

Big hugs from me too. I agree with Jewels994 that you have every right to be scared, and you most certainly are not a “fraud” of any sort. Please don’t add guilt to any of your feelings.

When I went to the breast clinic the man who did the ultrasound initially thought mine was DCIS - as it turned out I had that, plus invasive and nodes - but I was terrified at hearing that I had DCIS, so I really understand how you feel. I have had a mastectomy with immediate implant so I’m happy to discuss that part of treatment if it helps. But it sounds as if you would like to speak to people who have the same diagnosis as you.

Your fears are very normal and what everyone on here can recognise, whatever diagnosis we have all had. I wish you all the very best for your treatment and recovery - I actually think the waiting is harder as it’s “fear of the unknown”. You will be in very good hands at the hospital. Do speak to your BCN about any specific questions too.

Evie xx

Hi, I find myself in the same situation as you. I was diagnosed with dsic in Feb at my first mammogram after 50 and I’m awaiting a mastectomy with expander then implant. I know exactly how you feel as I was told I have precancerous cells at diagnosis then given leaflets saying I have early stage breast cancer. Macmillan support, maggies, cancer research leaflets too. When I asked for a further explanation I was told its cancer of the milk ducts but it’s contained. Twice I’ve been told it’s not cancer. Why then, am I losing a breast? I’ve been for consultations with plastic surgeons who explain in graphic detail the lymph node removal, mastectomy and recon the waiting for results of pathology, the risks involved and the rest of life with an implant,but it’s not cancer. I’ve worked in the same place for 27years and barely had a day’s sick. When I attended my gp for a sicknote yesterday and she said I don’t know what to put on your line…it’s not cancer. I lost it a bit and said if I don’t then leave it where it effing is then. Shocked by my language but so frustrated at her complete blase’ attitude. She gave me the line then cheerfully said good luck then. First time I’ve met her and the last. I’m so confused and frustrated. I’ve been told I’m lucky but don’t feel it. I’ve seen some truly awesome women in this forum dealing with more serious and dangerous cancers than this and I do then count my blessings but some attitudes towards dcis are just horrendous. I have never had an op before and I’m scared but just when someone gives me a bit of support someone else makes me feel like a fraud. Good luck with your treatment. I’m due in about the same time as you. Feel free to keep in touch. This is the first time I’ve posted so I’ll try to figure out how this forum works. Bx

<Empty imported post>

KMG & BernieD

I’m sending hugs to you both.

Am I like you both ? … no! but i’m similar

I was diagnosed with low to med DCIS in Dec 2017. I was only offered a full MX on my right side. I opted to have a delayed reconstruction. On the date of the op I began to have doubts and changed my mind. I’m big chested and suddenly I couldn’t handle being flat on one side. So I only had the sentinel node bio, with the blue dye. Blue pee, seriously weird!

Around 3 weeks later I had an MX on the right side with immediate reconstruction (expander). I stayed in hospital for 5 days, due to a problem with my hand, but got released with 2 drains and a large bag of meds.

What can I tell you… you need to do what feels right for you.

They will give you a bra. I awoke in one post surgery and I had to wear it day and night for 3 weeks. I’d advise you both not to buy too many bras until afterward. I can only where sports bras from M&S as normal bra press on my expander and I don’t like it.

I was advised to take the prescribed pain killers even if I wasn’t in pain.

Post op my head was all over the place. I too was told I was “lucky” and that it was a “pre cancer” (only by some doctors ) but I didn’t feel that way. DCIS is cancer , don’t let anyone else tell you otherwise. You are entitled to protection at work under the disabilities act and free prescriptions. 

It’s been 16 months since my op, I’m back at work fulltime. I have good days and bad days. I’m waiting for a reduction to my left breast and still trying to regain the strength in my right hand.

it’s an emotional roller coaster, but you can both get through it

XX

Wish I had seen this post earlier.  I am going through exactly the same situation, but I was too scared to face it, accept it.  My surgery isn’t until next week.  You would be a week post op.  Hope you are doing well

How are you doing KMG?

I hope you are doing ok after your op.

Thinking of you.

I am in for my op on Wednesday.

Hugs and thoughts to all the brave ladies. :heart: