Itchy scar

Hi all,

Just thought I would share about what I have discovered with regard to my itchy scar.

I had axillary lymph node removal on the 18th Dec 2020 and had a drain in for about 5 days. There were complications with this but that’s for another thread tbh. 
The problem was with after the drain was removed and when the healing started. I’ve had surgery before on broken bones before so I know how itchy they get but my armpit scar was on another scale!

a few days later especially after the dressing came off although I was moisturising I was having to get up about 4 times a night to put a cold wet flannel on my armpit to get back to sleep, as the itching was so intense that I wanted to claw my skin off with my fingernails!! I researched this and google came up with a silicone gel pad sheet. I thought well I’ll give this a go and phoned my GP’s. I thought it was a long shot even though the one that I got is from a reputable clinical company Smith&Nephew and as I expected the GP told me just to moisturise more. So, I ordered some off Amazon and all I can say is what a fabulous product!

I put it on yesterday in the afternoon and left it on overnight and it’s a transformation, I took it off and washed it and my scar this morning then put it back on and I’m so comfortable now, so if you have an itchy incision scar give it a go as it worked for me.

Alice x

Hi Alice

How I remember the itchy scar! Mine turned into a rash and spread down my body and round my waist. I wish I’d known about what you recommend. Have you thought you might be allergic to something, if you’ve experienced it with other surgeries? Mine was caused by an allergic reaction to the waterproof dressing I asked for after the drain was removed so I could shower. If you ever need surgery again, it might be worth mentioning what happens because it’s no fun, is it!