68.5K members
1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LD flap reconstruction... has anyone had one?

12 REPLIES 12
Debcully

Re: LD flap reconstruction... has anyone had one?

Oh right...well I’m seeing plastic surgeon again this morning and will ask him how many he’s done before 😬 x

Debcully

Hi. It’s my only option because I can’t just have implants because of previous radiotherapy and apparently haven’t got enough fat anywhere on my body for a diep flap or whatever else muscle sparing reconstruction so plastic surgeon told me this was my one and only option for a reconstruction x and no I don’t mind you asking at all 😁 x

Tili

Hi Debcully,

Hopefully, you are getting some good feed back, was wondering why this is your only option (if you don’t mind me asking ). 

As regard my pain it’s mainly my back, please keep in touch if I can help any further do hesitate to ask.

lots of luck, brave girl, big hug 🌈🙏 x

Joskyblue

My surgeon said it's not particularly common because it's quite a complicated surgery and not that many surgeons are trained it. When I went in for my operation there was my surgeon and 2 others there who were learning the procedure from him..... good luck with it all.

Debcully

It is indeed but thank you for sharing your experience and yes it has answered a few questions... it doesn’t seem like this particular reconstruction is very common does it ? Oh well hopefully everything will work out in the end ...not really got a lot of choice other than staying flat and for me that’s definitely not an option I would even consider 😬 

Joskyblue

Hi, I didn't have an implant and after doing some research I didn't really feel that an implant would have been for me. I am quite small and in the end didn't need one in any event, they got enough fat from my back to make the LD work 😀.  I was fortunate in that I only had to have the left side done.  The symmetry isn't perfect but it's pretty good and with clothes on it isn't noticeable.  To be honest i have found it harder getting used to the scar than being a bit uneven - although it was all explained to me i still found seeing the scar difficult, and i still do. In terms of the pain, it was certainly uncomfortable for a bit but for me it felt manageable and I was ok with regular paracetamol. I hadnt had an operation before so i had no idea what to expect about any of it.  It definitely wasn't as painful as I thought it was going to be though. Recovering from having a baby was more painful i think! After the first few days it was mainly a feeling of constant pins and needles. My surgeon said that is the nerve endings trying to make new connections.  I had a drain but that was only for a couple of days and I had a build up of fluid that had to be drained which hurt!  Mobility was a bit tricky at first, but it improved quickly, although being restricted on both sides is sure to be more tricky in that respect.  I don't have any pain although a small area under my arm is still numb. They have told me it might stay that way or it could take 18 months to settle down properly. It felt uncomfortable for a bit after radiotherapy was completed.  I have pretty much all the movement back that I had before, although I have been really strict with myself to do the exercises they give you and I try to do a bit of yoga every day which has really helped me I think. Last weekend we cleared out our garage and I felt a bit of discomfort for a couple of days, it wasn't awful but was a reminder that too much lifting is not a good thing, and things aren't quite the same as they were before all this. Hope this helps a little bit, it is all hugely daunting and overwhelming and just a horrible situation to be in. Let me know if there's anything else you want to know

Debcully

thanks Tili

I’m in Leeds so at Jimmy’s for operation. Did you have any other problems with the front after LD or was it only your back you suffered with? 

Debcully

Hi there. Did you see I had replied...think I replied on somebody else’s post instead of answering each of you independently so might not have pinged up on yours? 

Tili

Dear Debcully,

I don’t want to worry you, as I said I think I was very unlucky with my surgery, this was decided after have a straight forward implant, followed by a very bad infection....implant was removed after 10 days, followed by LD flap after 6 months, so damaged to the left breast before 2nd surgery. (This was 5 years ago).

Wishing you lots of luck with your surgery, as I said this was 5 years ago and thing do move on and surgery get better all the time, so hopefully this will be a great success for you.

Can I ask what hospital you are under. Maybe call the breast cancer nurses on this site always, so helpful and understanding.

Thinking of you. Big hug Tili x

Debcully

Omg Tili that doesn’t sound good 😬 I will ask about that at Guys hospital!  joskyblue did you have an implant put in also? Was it just one side? How did symmetry compare to the other side? How painful was it after the op? How is the strength in your back now? Does it feel any different? I’m having both sides done and LD is the only reconstruction that I can have as not suitable for anything else unfortunately ... so not looking forward to it 😬 

Joskyblue

• Hi, I haven't posted on here before but have found it really helpful for information over the last few months. I had the LD flap reconstruction in September 2020 and all is pretty good so far. I'm happy to try and help with your questions. It was a really difficult  decision as it was looking like a mastectomy was my only option, but I then saw a different surgeon who thought the LD procedure was an option, and I'm glad with hindsight that I went down that route. 
Tili

Hi Debcully,

i had a LD flap reconstruction 5 years ago, unfortunately not a great success for me, have been left with constant back pain, also slightly lopsided my feeling are this needs a great deal of looking into, however maybe I was just unlucky. My consultant really pushed me to have LD FLAP thinking it was the best option at the time.

I also understand that Guys hospital don’t carry out this surgery anymore. 

Wishing you lots of luck, health and happiness. Hugs Tili 🌈🙋🏼

Debcully

LD flap reconstruction... has anyone had one?

Hi there...has anyone had an LD (Latissimus Dorsi) flap reconstruction...if so you may be able to answer a few questions that I have please?