Left mastectomy with sentinel node biopsy

Yesterday I had a left mastectomy with sentinel node biopsy. The anaesthetic left me feeling really quite poorly and feel I shouldn’t have been discharged on the day. The op was a day case. 

I have noticed on the discharge sheet that I had a left mastectomy with 3 x sentinel node biopsy.  What does 3x mean is that 3 lymph nodes have been removed? 

Hi Sunflower14,

I hope you are feeling better.  They do like to get us home quickly - I just wanted to get back to my bed and not be in a ward with everyone else.  The 3x most likely means they removed 3 lymph nodes - the sentinel lymph node is the first node that lymph fluid drains to from the lump, and in your case maybe you had 3 lymph nodes very close together so they removed all 3.  We all have slightly different numbers and placement of lymph nodes around and in our armpits - I had all my lymph nodes taken on my right side - 16 - yet a work colleague had 48 removed. 

Wishing you a good recovery.  

Hi Sunflower.

Well done for getting through the surgery. An alternative explanation may be what I had done with ultrasound the week before surgery - three punch biopsies in the one sentinel node which is the first port of call for rogue bc cells. When mine all came back positive, it was a clear indicator I needed a full axillary clearance along with the mastectomy. It certainly helps determine what further tests you need and what will be included in your future treatment plan (from not much to the whole caboodle). Perhaps it would be wise either to ring your breast care nurse and ask or to ring the team here who are really helpful, no matter what pours out of you unexpectedly when presented with a sympathetic ear!

I specifically requested not being kept in overnight - interesting how we are all different in our needs and wishes. 

Good luck with your recovery x

Hi Sunflower14,

I know how you feel. I also had my surgery in a ‘day surgery’ slot in July 2019. I think it’s ridiculous, I felt so unwell as I came round and throughout the day and had to be wheeled to the car in a wheelchair by my partner when I left the hospital.

I had breast cancer 19 years ago and had a lumpectomy; I was in hospital for 10 days with a drain.

My surgery this time was for a left mastectomy & sentinel lymph node biopsy. The surgeon told me the 3 nodes they had removed were the closest ones to the tumour and were checked to see if the cancer had spread.

I have had complications since the surgery, partly due to it being done in ‘day surgery’ and also due to a lack of after care. I hope your recovery is going well and that you are receiving lots of support and care.

Best wishes,

dorsetlass