1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lumpectomy in October/November buddies?

11 REPLIES 11
linde

Re: Lumpectomy in October/November buddies?

Hi Jukebox,

Hope you don’t worry too much about the surgeon not saying anything. They will tell you everything in the post op appointment in 2 weeks. Like Purplegranny said it has to go to pathology first. Also they will have the MDT meeting before your appointment to discuss your results. I didn’t even speak to the surgeon before or after my op, never meet her, and I just had my post op appointment with the breast cancer physician. Good luck with your op Purplegranny! X

jukebox

Hi Jane no I had a general and the anaesthetist was lovely . That whole bit was interesting. I suppose there was an element of adrenaline and wanting to get it done that means that now it’s done and I finally feel ill (!), it’s very deflating. Mind you I even feel a little stronger as the day has gone on and gives me a little hope that I will bounce back.

PurpleGranny

Hi Jukebox,

Glad to know you have come through surgery - did you have to stay in overnight?  I hope your soreness diminishes quickly.

I should think that your surgeon being non-committal was because it all has to be sent to pathology so he truly doesn't know.  But anyway I suppose you just have to wait.  There seems to be so much waiting in all this!

Thank you for your kind words.  I went to the Nuclear Medicine unit today to have a radioisotope injected.  This is supposed to show the surgeon the way to the sentinel nodes - I hope it works.  If not, he has said he will inject me with blue dye (my nearest and dearest are looking forward to this as it will make me part-Smurf!).  Operation tomorrow and I can't wait (!) to get it over with.  You said it was weirdly interesting - were you awake for it?

Will let you know how things go.

Have a big hug,

Jane xxx

jukebox

Thankyou jane. I’m recovering at home now and feeling a bit fuzzy and sore but ok. A mixture of emotions as I felt a bit suspicious of the surgeons post op chat- could be me but that’s where the brain goes. Two weeks of the dreaded waiting. But the op was fine and weirdly interesting experience- great to get on the other side. I wish you luck and hope you tell me how it goes xxx

jukebox

Thankyou my dear. Had the chop yesterday and I’m ok. The report from the surgeon was disappointingly vague, he wouldn’t say anything about it and made me quite confused- the implication was that it had not been seen properly on the mammogram so it was an unknown? But wouldn’t answer if it was bigger or if the lymph nodes looked different? I felt bad for asking all these questions and seeming doubtful after the amazing thing he’d just done. My emotions were a total yo-yo all day. 

PurpleGranny

Hi Jukebox,

I am 69 and was diagnosed following my (potentially last) mammogram in September.  I have a grade 2 E & P positive tumour 11 mm (don't know about the HER2 yet), no lymph node involvement seen on the scans.  I am due to have a lumpectomy and SEN removal on Thursday, followed (I think) by radiotherapy and hormone treatment.  It has all come as a bit of a shock as I am feeling perfectly fine at the moment - had no symptoms!

I wish you all the best for your surgery next week.  Please let us know how it goes.

Jane

grannyp

Hi there jukebox.

This stage before any treatment starts is all a bit strange as you cope with the bolt from the blue that has hit you and are still unsure of what you are actually going to have to go through. It all seems surreal and I am sure we all think of every imaginable option.

Good that you are going to have your surgery soon and I am sure you will soon recover from the op. I had a lumpectomy two weeks ago and am now awaiting results. Unfortunately, I had a known lymph node involvement from the start, so also had a node clearance. But even with that the recovery from surgery has been relatively easy and I suspect that I am also much older than you. Once the surgery has been done, you know that the cancer has gone and that is such a huge relief. Yes, there are cases where something unexpected crops up after surgery or where treatment plans change and we need to bear that in mind. But also remember that lots of people posting on these forums do so because they have a problem and so they are not always representative of the majority of people undergoing cancer treatment.

It sounds as if you are in a really good position regarding the likely treatment and outcome, so just remain positive and indulge and spoil yourself a little.

jukebox

Yes Im going under the knife in five days. I swing between feeling really serious about it and wondering if I have to change my diet/life forever afterwards to stop it coming back (why did it get there???) and then feeling a bit blasé as it seems like it is really treatable if it goes the way I hope. I have met several people already tho who ended up gets Mx/ chemo/ even offered choices afterwards that I feel I need to be prepared for. 

How much time to take off work? go back in-between Lumpy and radio?

Sjd62

Hi

I am having a lumpectomy in 2 weeks time, I’ve just finished work today to self isolate for two weeks. The plan is surgery, radiotherapy and tamoxifen, hopefully no chemo needed. 🤞 My philosophy is if my mum can lose a breast at 85, live until 93 without cancer, I can lose a lump at 58. 

jukebox

thankyou, that's reassuring. Do you have an idea of what's next for you?

Ive been pleased with how quickly things have gone for me and because of NHS takeovers, I get to go to a really swish private hospital for the operation - almost shame not to stay over!

linde

Hi Jukebox,

I had a lumpectomy and sentinel node biopsy a week and a half ago. I had the surgery booked very quickly on the nhs even though I have insurance also it would have been the same timeframe. They assured my at the east London hospital that they have not had to cancel any urgent operations like lumpectomy because of covid. It was honestly not that bad, quick surgery, it will be over before you know it.

I wanted to chat to the other women on the ward but they were all in and out so quickly I didn't get a chance. They book you a covid test a few days before and the ward was very secure, no one allowed in apart from staff and patients. Easy to say but try to take it each day at a time. Things might change but you will be so relieved to get the bugger out, that is the first step! I found it wasn't too painful after, I didn't need to take painkillers just asked for some straight after the op. I think you just have to be careful and watch out for infection.
L x

jukebox

Lumpectomy in October/November buddies?

Hi all Im wondering if there are others getting lumpectomies into next few weeks that want to chat? Im currently looking follow up with tamoxifen and radiotherapy but also worrying about further results and changes of treatment plan.