Masectamy on 3rd July-anyone else?

Hi, I’ve got my masectamy on 3rd july and would love to chat with anyone going through the same. Im being positive but of course its a scary time. Im 38 and lobular breast cancer. After the masectamy I may have chemo and then radiotherapy. Looking for positive vibes :slightly_smiling_face: xx

Hi Stephie82

We are sending you warm thoughts and positive vibes ahead of your surgery on 3 July!

If there’s anything you’d like to chat through before the day, our nursing team is right here and always happy to chat. You can reach us on freephone 0808 800 6000.

Bernard x

Hi Stephi - can remember only too well how I felt before my mastectomy 3+ years ago.  It’s a time of such anxiety and uncertainty with relatively little time to process the impact.  For what it’s worth, my own experience was so much better than I imagined.  The actual operation (I’d never had an anaesthetic and was terrified) was fine - I stayed in hospital overnight and took paracetamol for a few days so felt no pain or discomfort.  Accommodating the drains was inconvenient but again not a huge problem.  I felt pretty tired but think that was just a combination of having so many sleepless nights beforehand and having anaesthetic.  I felt more myself everyday.  Probably the biggest obstacle was my emotional well-being.  I ping ponged between feeling grateful that the cancer had been dealt with and sorry for myself that I was physically changed.  I projected an upbeat manner but very prone to some good private wallows too! I found that each time I had to face follow up treatment my emotions would nose dive…  But, again, nothing was as bad as I imagined it would be.  I’ve not had a reconstruction - just felt it wasn’t for me so wear a prosthesis and I’m still on hormone inhibitors but all in all in a good place. 

It may not seem like it from where you are at the moment, but for the majority who walk this path we come out the otherside, not completely unscathed but able to move on.

Hoping all goes well for you 

I had a mastectomy a week ago today. I was quite anxious about the surgery and anaesthetic. The hospital was very quiet due to the recent pandemic but still had to wait from 7am till noon before it was my turn. I woke from surgery at 4pm and was in a little discomfort but mostly I had a very sore throat from the intubation. A nurse was right beside me and offered my lovely cool water which helped. The immediate minutes after waking can feel a bit unpleasant due to the anaesthetic but it does pass quickly. I returned to ward and was very dizzy and sleepy but stayed awake as there was a really chatty lady in another bed.

She was moved to another ward and I then had the whole place to myself. I didn’t need any pain relief except paracetamol for my throat. The breast area has loads of local anaesthetic pumped in so it’s very numb.

I had a wee Peak down my gown and wasn’t too horrified. It’s like a return to prepubescence. So not entirely unfamiliar.

I stayed awake reading because I was scared if I dozed I wouldn’t sleep at night. I actually felt quite upbeat. That might’ve been the drugs.

I was discharged next day after being given some exercises by breast nurse and a padded fake boob.

on day 2 post surgery I felt quite weepy. I went for a short walk but could feel liquid sloshing about.

over the next few days more liquid accumulated and the sensation made me feel quite sick.

yesterday, day 6, I drove my car for the first time. Massive turning point. It made me feel so much better.

Today, day 7, I got dressing off. I was expecting it to be a huge relief but that was wishful thinking. I have a seroma which is moderately sized so won’t be drained. I feel very tight as though I’m wearing the most uncomfortable bra prob due to seroma and surgery in general but the absolute best way to deal with this is distraction. I forgot  about it when I was driving.

I am now thinking about going back to work. Not tomorrow but soon.

In short, 7 days after surgery, I feel a lot better, even though I have the prospect of chemo ahead.

I have not had to take any painkillers at all.

Im 57 and not very fit with moderate to small breast(s)

Obviously I’m not telling my husband that I can probably help with the cooking. I reckon I’m due a bit more pampering.

I hope this helps allay your fears. It’ll be a relief to get it over.

Hi Steph,

I too have a mastectomy soon on the 1st July followed by possibly chemotherapy and radiotherapy so very similar to you and I’m a similar age - 37. It sounds like the mastectomy takes much less recovery than a reconsatruction which is good news, especially if we have other treatment to follow. I thinK I’m feeling more nervous about the idea of chemotherapy than the mastectomy how about you? The tumour in my breast is really big - 10cm - so I desperately just want it removed and got rid of. Hope you’re doing ok in these few days leading up to it xxx