Mastectomy

Hi

Back in Oct I was diagnosed with high grade DCIS. I had my lumpectomy in Nov and then went back just before Xmas for the results. I was then told that instead of the lumps being 4mm and 6mm, it total area was 7.3CM and therefore no option, but to remove the breast. OK, not what I wanted to hear at the age of 45 or have to go through, but it is what it is.

My question is concerning immediate reconstruction, I’m erring on going with the reconstruction using the free flap from my stomach, BUT it is very likely I carry the BRCA gene and will end up having to have the other breast removed. Can the free flap reconstruction be done twice, or is a one time only deal? 

Any advice from anyone that has had/been through similar, most appreciated.

Lotstan

I too am due to have surgery later in Jan/Feb.  Can’t help you directly but would suggest putting this question to your care team, breast care nurse perhaps?  They will be able to advise given your situation.  I would hope they would be able to be flexible and would also hope that you can challenge them if they become a bit “computer says no”.

Good luck.

Sam

Hello.  I am the very happy recipient of a diet flap left breast reconstruction however I can tell you that this is a once only procedure   (I can’t get rid of this underline so please just ignore it)

if they do both breasts at once there is usually enough tissue to do both but they cannot go back again later  perhaps it would be possible to find out about the Brca gene first and then maybe do both at once. I’ve seen a number of people who had this done and they look great