Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

More surgery

24 REPLIES 24
Jayne4369

Re: More surgery

Hi

I’ve been in the same boat as you. I had recurrence.
I had my scan then 2 weeks later received my results (they got it all but lots of disease found) with a date to go ahead with surgery which was 10 days later. I’ve started my zolodex injections and my letrazole and hoping to start my radiotherapy on 12th Feb all being ok. 
Hope this helps 

sending hugs 

cookie365

Hi yjj and all,

thanks again for so many replies....it’s comforting to know that I’m not alone!!!

I have had my CT scan and bone scan 2 weeks ago then like an idiot I went out last weekend in the snow with my daughter- slipped on the ice and fractured my scaphoid bone. Now under the fracture clinic to add more drama😭😳

Still no news yet on my node clearance surgery nor have I had any results from my scans even though my nurse said the reports are in...the consultants need to review them?? Is it normal to wait this long? Plus as time is getting on, as it was present in the nodes, can it spread while I’m waiting for the op or their decisions?

think my mind is just working overtime! Any help or suggestions would be greatly received 💜

delly

yjj  -  i hope your scan went okay yesterday and the results were favourable for you?

Hope all goes well with your op on Tuesday.  xxx

yjj

I’m an idiot...couldn’t see all the posts before I replied....durr!!!

yjj

Hi Cookie

gosh you are going through the mill somewhat! Rodeo is a great term but not a great ride, I’m in the ring too. I haven’t had NHL - my ex has it at mo so my kids have 2 parents with cancer. Breast wise we are kind of similar, I had a lumpectomy for an 18mm tumour but invisible (hmm great, who knew that was a thing?!) DCIS of 32mm so my margins are rubbish and I have a positive sentinel node. Now having another lumpectomy and full node clearance (Tuesday). I have a ct scan today and like you I am beside myself about spread. It’s all I think about, well utter panic might be more truthful. I know the stress will change nothing so just got to plough on but my goodness it’s hard  

I’ve been told that presence in lymph does not necessarily mean further spread  lymph nodes are our friends and they do their job of “catching” nasties... fingers crossed for both of us x

i notice your post was a few weeks ago so please let me know how you are and what’s next 

much love Y xxx

cookie365

Glad of the company delly....really enjoyed the mask! ☺️🤩☺️...enjoy your evening xx

delly

Hey Cookie

I'm sitting next to you as I squeak! - eating Chinese (a ready made), watching The Mask, and then The Voice. Enjoy your weekend too. xxx

Everyone else too xxxxx

cookie365

Thanks Evie-S ...certainly have felt much better today and empowered by everyone’s kind words, support and suggestions. Feels so good to know your not alone and that there are some wonderful people who know exactly what I’m going though....feel so very lucky, thank you all 💜💜💜

Just ordered the book....should be here Monday!

Enjoy your Saturday night all...looking forward to Chinese, the masked singer, the wheel then the voice on plus 1 🤩💕🌻

Evie-S
Community Champion

Hi Cookie - thank you for your lovely reply ❤️, but I’m sorry you were so upset in the surgery. As Delly  said, it’s fine to have a sob, better to let feelings out. And chat away on here - Delly won’t let you be sad for long!

The book I mentioned is called “The Cancer Survivor’s Companion” by Dr Frances Goodhart and Lucy Atkins, it was recommended on this forum to me. It has all kinds of tips, but also put down in writing some of the feelings I was having - so I realised I wasn’t alone in feeling that way.

Hope all reading this chat have a good Saturday eve - as Cookie said, it’s definitely an eve to snuggle under a blanket and watch movies. Hugs, Evie xx

delly

Hi Gelbel - I hope you got your drain sorted and are staying comfortable. Your fish and chip dinner's got my tastebuds and juices flowing, struggling with a really poor appetite. Can't seem to tempt it with anything. Haven't had fish n chips for ages. 😋

Cookie -  I put the wrong area, I've just amended it, get 'em mixed. "Night Birds" is in the "Moving Forward After Breast Cancer/Living With Breast Cancer". i must have gone up around 3.30ish last night.

** There's a really good link Jaybro posted on another thread. We were saying how helpful it would be if people were given this information at the beginning of ANY BC journey, it would help better us understand the process we go through. xxxx

http://www.workingwithcancer.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/After-the-treatment-finishes-then-what...

cookie365

Hi Gelbel....Saturday fish lunch....sounds amazing!!! Glad you slept, it’s the best form of healing. 

I didn’t get much training from my right side after surgery but a bit more on my left, however, as time went on - they both increased a bit. It’s such a lovely feeling when you get the drains out...feels like they become a part of you and it feels a bit strange when you don’t have to lug them around everywhere in the days they give you 🤣🤣

I had to ring the award at one point as nothing was draining so I went in and they moved it around a bit then the flood gates opened 🤣😷

Rest as much as you can and watch random stuff....it’s defiantly a Saturday to tuck up and watch movies....weather looks shocking out there!

💜

Gelbel

I'm fine thanks Cookie. I had a long decent sleep. I'm really in no pain at all (taking half doses at half the time intervals) nor too dozy. Forcing myself to do nothing much is hard. The frozen ground has helped - thank goodness for Just Eat, we got our usual Saturday fish lunch delivered. Not had any for 3 weeks and hubby was getting withdraw symptoms!

My drainbs hardly got anything draining into it which I'm surprised at. Had to really fiddle with the back top flap this am as it was not upright to click into - had to call the ward for advice to free it. I suppose it's all ok. I'll check the site when I get ready for bed - won't be a late one.

cookie365

Was up delly but didn’t see your post or would have loved a chat!, ended up doing a couple of jigsaws on my phone and scrolling random stuff🤣🤣.... I will check next time 🤩

delly

You are sooo welcome, lovey. Hope you sleep well.

If not and are awake in the wee hours, want someone to talk to, fancy a chat about ANY thing, 'I' may still be up on the "Night Birds" thread, on the "Moving Forward After Breast Cancer" area - Living With Breast Cancer. x x x 

cookie365

Thanks Delly....can’t tell you how good it feels to hear I’m not alone 💜

delly

Hi Cookie (hoping that's a "tough" one)

It's such a massive shock, having to deal with all this cancer millarkey (that's a POLITE word!!). I'm not surprised you had a breakdown today. Not only is it a huge trauma for your body to have to cope and deal with - It's a mahoosive mental trauma too. Can just hit you out of the blue, unawares. So don't be surprised if you have more of them. I always think it's good to have a good sob, let it out rather than try keep a brave face on and hold it in. Don't feel embarrassed about it either, whoever's around. 

Early days are the WORST - but pleease believe me, you WILL start to feel better about it all. In the meantime - you have a damn good sob whenever you need to.

We've got mountains of tissues on here, and always friendly, supportive and sympathetic ears.

Speedy healing and love to you and everyone else, 

Delly xxxxxxx 

cookie365

Hi Gelbel,

thank you so much for your reply. How you feeling now? You will feel a bit dozy for a while! I remember not feeling pain for a couple of days after my mastectomies.....still had the anaesthetic running through me I guess 🤣

Sorry to hear your look down journey was rubbish too but thank goodness for clinic and mammograms as I too wouldn’t have found my lump.

I send you strength and healing love and hugs for your recovery. Take care and rest 💜

cookie365

Hi Evie-S,

thank you so much for your response. Love the fears are not facts approach. Would love to know more about that book....sounds like something I really should read!!

Went today to get my dressings changed and ended up breaking down in the surgery....thought I had it all under control? but think it was fear that took over and I defiantly need more facts! 

Took your advice and kept off google! I really appreciate you offering to chat about any questions I have as you are right, it is easier to chat to people who have been through it and get it as I am just putting on a brave face at the moment. 

Thanks again and sending strength, love and hugs back to you too Evie 💜

cookie365

Hi bookish,

Can’t tell you how relieved I am to hear from someone who has had a similar experience to me from the Hodgkins.

Im 5 weeks after the double mastectomy now and I know you will get stronger and healthier with every day. Once the drains came out, it really improved no end....hang on in there!! Not sure if you have had your surgery yet but if not, nope it all goes well....will be thinking of you.

Thanks also for the heads up about the infusions as an alternative. I hadn’t heard of them before so not I will be aware just in case it’s mentioned.

Sending healing thoughts and hugs 💜

cookie365

Thank you so much BluebellTime (Mo) for the support and your post. Congratulations on your good news....that’s wonderful!!! Good to know there are always choices on treatment options and feel quite reassured that the team will just be a bit more thorough now with scans and investigation.

Feel a lot more positive now knowing others have had similar journeys and that we are all here to support one another.

thank you and sending love and hugs for the rest of your journey 

Gelbel

Hi Cookie365

I'm so sorry you've had to join us. As I know myself, you will have amazing support here. ❤️

I am hot off the operating table for a mx and ANC. ANC because I went to my GP with a lymph node lump in Lockdown 2.0 No way at all would I have found my 2 lumps discovered at clinic - one 20mm BC, one just well iffy looking tissue with a few free (+ another world I can't remember) cancer cells, that one didn't show on mammogram at that first clinic.

My CT scan - needed because it was in the node proved 2 nodes have BC cells in and no spread elsewhere. So those little babies were doing their job and stopping it spreading to other parts of my body. Although being in the nodes it showed the BC was moving.

If it helps anyone... hand on heart, I'm 7 hours post op and not in pain. I do feel like I've over done a pec workout in the chest side of my armpit and then I'd say only the area of that ache is the diameter of a small satsuma. I will keep on the painkillers! 

I hope that helps a tiny bit. x

Excuse any typos - bit dozy from anaesthetic still. Bed calling me! 

Evie-S
Community Champion

Hi cookie365 - a big welcome to this lovely forum from me too, I’m so glad your nurse suggested you come on here but I’m very sorry you have had a BC diagnosis as well as your previous treatment. You have already had some great advice and reassurance from BluebellTime and bookish and I agree with all that has been said.

The waiting really is hard isn’t it, but do keep in mind that the nodes are there to catch any stray cells. I had a mastectomy and node clearance about 3.5 years ago, so happy to answer any questions you might think of. Try if you can not to either google or let you mind run away and imagine the worst. I have a good book that reminds us that “fears are NOT facts”. Come back and chat any time you need, sometimes it’s easier to chat to people who have been through it and just “get it” without explanation. Sending you strength and hugs. Do keep in touch and let us know how you get on. Evie xx

bookish

Hi Cookie,

Wanted to reach out and tell you you are not alone - my story is so similar! I had Hodgkin's back in the 1990s, and yup, almost certainly the radiotherapy that caused my subsequent breast cancers. I've been on annual MRIs, and tamoxifen, also unable to have more radiotherapy and chemo would be tough as I've done it twice before. So, this week was finally the mastectomy. I'm also getting bisphosphonate infusions as a chemo alternative/just in case kind of thing.

Lymph nodes aren't necessarily a bad sign, but as said below, will make them super cautious. Which is good! I always felt very reassured by the tests.

I'm sorry you can't quite avoid hospital for now, but my fingers are crossed for those results for you xx

BluebellTime

Hello, I'm sorry you find yourself here after all you have been through, but there is lots of support here and people to cheer you on. You've done it before and you can do it again if need be! No, it is not always bad if in the nodes, but it does mean your team will be extra thorough with scans etc to make sure. I've had mastectomy and lumpectomy in the past, nodes thought to be OK, then 2 years ago I had lumps in one armpit so needed full axillary clearance. The cancer  had not gone any further and I've had ct scans to check for any spread and always been clear, the last one was before Christmas and I had the good news this week. I did have chemo after the axillary clearance but it was not absolutely necessary and I had a choice, which being otherwise in good health I decided to take, but it is always a balance and you may not need it. It may well  be those nodes have done their job catching the cancer and surgery and hormone tablets will be all you need. It is such a hard time for you, but try to hang onto the positives. Very best wishesto you for the rest of your treatment. Love Mo xx

cookie365

More surgery

Hi all, this is my first time posting. Been looking for some reassurance so my nurse recommended this forum and I must say, the posts have been giving me comfort.

This isn’t my first rodeo, I was diagnosed with Hodgkins Lymphoma in 2004, which is a blood cancer of the lymphatic system. Due to the severity of my treatment plan I have been on checkups every since and mammograms for the past 7 years.

I felt really poorly during the first lockdown and was self isolating as I was in the extremely clinically vulnerable group. My mammogram was put back a few months so I went in the end in early September 2020. The mammograms showed a lump and I was diagnosed with breast cancer in October 2020. It looks like it was caused by the mantle radiotherapy I had from my previous cancer.

Due to the new diagnosis, the position and my high risk I had a double mastectomy on the 25th November. I have had a few problems and am still having treatment for an infection. Due to COVID, biopsy results just seem to be taking an age! 

went for the results yesterday and was told that 2 out of the 5 nodes they took have cancer present so I am now waiting for a CT scan, bone scan and an axillary clearance....not the best start to 2021 when I hoped all surgery was over. Hospital is such an awful place during COVID and lockdown...my experience in November was awful!  I am treating is as a set back and not a disaster but deep down I’m pretty scared and just pray it hasn’t spread.

Due to my previous treatment, I can’t have any radio therapy and they are reluctant to give chemo again if they can help it as I had a very aggressive form last time. I know I will be having hormone therapy/ treatment after but my consultant said we would discuss the treatment plan after the scans and additional surgery.

If you have cancer present in the lymph nodes is it always bad? Just not enough information out there! Thanks for reading 💕