cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nipple pain after nipple sparing mastectomy

4 REPLIES 4
Musicmoll

Re: Nipple pain after nipple sparing mastectomy

You could always give your breast care nurse a call, and she might be able to put your mind at rest. These aches & pains can be a worry, but it is still early days in recovering from your surgery.

sunny43

Thank you very much for your response. I hope you’re right. I had all my breast tissue removed and have quite small breasts and can actually feel the implant, it’s very odd! The scratching sensation combines with a pulling one too as if something is sticking and pulling away away from something else and is quite painful. Now at 41/2 weeks on and I just want to feel better. That’s not me feeling sorry for myself just being honest. 

I hope your recovery goes well for you. Is good to hear from someone who had the same operation. Would welcome any response. All the best. 

Musicmoll

P.s - I don’t believe the nipple will be anywhere near the implant, so just the nerves knitting together.

Musicmoll

Hi Sunny, I have a similar thing to you. A week ago I had a mastectomy with reconstruction and a reduction on the opposite side with the nipple being re-sited. It is driving me crazy with itching, but I understand this is a normal sign of healing. Hopefully it will pass shortly. Try and see it as a positive sign as if there was no feeling in the nipple at all then that would feel even stranger. Good luck with your recovery.

sunny43

Nipple pain after nipple sparing mastectomy

Hi, I had a nipple sparing mastectomy three weeks ago.  The operation went well however since that time I've had a kind of scratching pain behind the nipple.  I feel it the moment my arm moves and even when breathing so you can imagine it's constant!  The nipple seems to have no sensation on the outside just on the inside.  It is quite painful and no medication seems to touch it.  I'm not sure if it's the nerves mending, or nerve damage or what it is.  I'm currently wearing the bra I was advised to wear post surgery 24/7.  The only time I take it off is when I take a shower.  At that point the irritation/pain seems to subside so I'm thinking is it the bra pressing the back side of the nipple against the implant?   If it is, how can the wound inside heal if it is being constantly irritated by rubbing against the implant.  If anyone has experienced this or anything similar I would love to hear from you.  Thanks.