62234members
327610posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

November 2018 Surgery...

Re: November 2018 Surgery...

I am back home, the surgery went well. The first night was uncomfortable, next day first drain came out and I could shower. Following day, today, second drain came out and I could go home. I am in a bit of pain but not too bad, my arm is much better than I had expected. Now I have one perky breast (the new one) and a saggy one in comparison. I am glad I am at the other end of it.

Evening Lorraine H

Thank you. I too found the waiting/unknown unbearable. Staying positive and focused on the healing so I can start my next stage of this journey. Sends Huggs 💕💕

I’m glad to hear your op went well and you have been well looked after.

it is such a relief to get the op out of the way, diagnosis and waiting for treatment were the worst part for me.

Wishing you all the best, take things steady xxx

Good afternoon everyone

I had breast conserving surgery yesterday, have taken a long time to come around due to such a lack of sleep before hand. Pain killers doing there job but don’t feel like
going out for a walk just yet. All in all went better than my mind was telling me so it’s 👍👍 for me. A massive thank you to all concerned at Derriford Hospital Plymouth everyone was fantastic could not ask for better. Seeng big Huggs and speedy recovery to everyone we can do this 🙌🙌💕💕💕

Good luck Wahini 😘 I’m a week today post quadrantectomy, results next week, new nipple later 😂 

I can’t believe how it’s healing, I didn’t have much pain just a horrendous burning under my arm.

ive been out everyday and doing my excersises xx

up, dressed, had shower and going out for coffee later 1 week post-mastectomy.

Only annoying thing is gravel rash sensation from ANC, but hopefully it will settle like it did after SNB.

Even managed the washing up yesterday!

It's a scary time right now, being drawn all over with black marker! I remember looking in the mirror and thinking "whatever they do to me, has to be an improvement on this reflection". It's now 9 days post-op and I'm feeling and looking pretty good, all things considered. More importantly, im cancer free. So life is good. Have check ups next week and nipple reconstruction and tattooing to consider now. If I'm really honest, the op, the stay in hospital etc was nowhere near as bad as I'd expected. You'll sail through I'm sure and be fine 😍

Today is the big day, I am at the hospital for surgery. I look forward to getting knocked out and get it over with. 

Hi JacquiT
Thank you for your understanding. I am so pleased you have come though the other side, I know it’s a long hearing process but I wish you a speedy, reduced pain recovery. Sending big Huggs Julie xx

Hi NannaJ
You aren't empty, if you were you'd feel nothing and you are feeling a mix of so many emotions that those who love you can't possibly understand. I think you feel more lonely than empty, which is how I felt at the beginning of this journey, as those closest to you just can't possibly understand what you're going through.
I've been home from hospital since Friday, following a right mastectomy and DIEP reconstruction. Being in hospital with other magnificent ladies going through the same experience was the so uplifting and the loneliness just peeled away from me. I'm sore, uncomfortable and don't look the same as before but I'm so happy to have come through it.
Just wallow in your friends and family's love for you, as really it's that which will give you thecstrengthget you through

Hi this is my first posting
I have recently been diagnosed with Invasive ductal breast cancer (NST) grade 2/3. My surgeon has told me surgery, radiotherapy and hormone therapy is the way we are going at this moment in time, but this could change when pathology report comes back after hormone receptor , HER2 and lymph nodes have all been tested.

I have breast conserving surgery 14/11/18 I feel numb, motionless and still cannot believe what is going on in my life, is this normal? I cannot sleep, cry I just feel numb, my friends and family tell me I am brave and strong - I am none of these I am EmPTY

Good luck pastamissus. You have certainly had a tough time, but hopefully you will recover quickly.
My very best wishes
Jane xx

back home with drain in. Very little pain, just a bit of gravel rash in upper arm similar to last time. I seem to have reasonable movement both arms. Just not much brain power!

Hello all. First poster here. Just back home after my second day surgery. First was 4 weeks ago wire guided WLE to remove suspected DCIS. Recovered well from that but results 3 weeks later unfortunately showed small 17mm invasive breast cancer grade 2. Hence my return today one week later to have re-excision as one margin not clear, and SNB. Surgeon reused the same incision and managed to get the sentinel node out via it as well as more tissue so just the one to heal. Not in too much discomfort at the moment and will manage with paracetamol and ibuprofen. I am hoping to heal as well as before but unsure if this will be so.  Fingers crossed. DaisyDi I hope yours goes well - I know it’s a bigger thing you’re having. Sending good vibes.

It is a rollercoaster I agree. I now have to wait till early Dec for results on lymph node as his clinics ‘full’, and radiotherapy won’t start till after Christmas. Not sure whether this is a good or a bad thing. Guess I’ll just have to be patient.

Hi ladies, I am 10 days post op having had mammoplasty and sentinel node biopsy.  They have said Stage 2 grade 2 but found multifocal areas in cells near the tumour and also one node was positive.  I am now having my second surgery on 29th November to remove suspicious area and have an axillary clearance.  I am so scared yet again especially about the axillary clearance as it is my right side and I am right handed.  My wound is just starting to heal nicely and now it will be cut into again.  I dont know whether I am coming or going. Talk about roller coaster.  Do you think I will have to have chemo now that one node is positive.  Will my staging be upgraded.  I hate this

Hi. Good luck. Will be thinking of you today. Be sure and let us know how you are. Sending lots of love.💖💖💖xxx

Off for my second mastectomy with snb and anc the other side. Get an overnight stay this time!

Hi everyone- this thread seemed to have disappeared for a while. Can't believe we're into November- it seemed so far away when the thread was first started.
I'm from the September surgery group but have been following a lot of your progresses, so hope you can update the thread now it's back.
Sending love to you all - you're all I in my thoughts. 💖
Love
Helen
Xxx

Thanks Helenann! I'm really pleased to hear you're doing well on the Letrozole. On the whole, it's much better than I had anticipated having read all the horror stories. I'm sure once my BP is under control I'll feel better about being on it. 

Sending you loads of hugs....

xxxx

Hi Marla - Great news re the oncotype test - so it was well worth while getting it done. I've been taking Letrozole for just over a week now - and I seem OK - so fingers crossed.

Have an amazing time in Canada and take care.

xxx

That's great news that you don't need chemotherapy Marla13, and added bonus that presumably you won't need to see the oncologist too often either in the future!

Have a great holiday, hope a bit of relaxation and TLC from your parents will bring your BP down too!

re breast care nurses: they are basically there as a chaperone, to protect the doctor from any claims of inappropriate touching. Unfortunately this is essential if doing any kind of breast examination.

I'm a Dr and have the joy of having to get chaperones to do intimate examinations.

Thanks very much Wahini! 

I had good news today (thank god)-my Oncotype Dx test score was 1! Zero being the lowest and the lower the score, the less likely chemo will be needed. I'm so relieved.

On another note: I can't find the thread that I contributed to re-Letrozole and bon density scan, but just to say...I asked my oncologist if she will arrange a scan and she really didn't seem too concerned and said we'll do the scan after my surgery (which would suggest when I am all recovered)-which will be 2-3 months post-starting on Letrozole. Now I know, from the other thread that the jury is out re-when to scan (some suggest scanning *prior* to starting on Letrozole and others are more go with the flow....2-3 months post starting)....my oncologist's view seems to be "you have cancer, and so regardless of whether your bones are brittle from Letrozole....you'll need to stay on it". I told her that I am coping well with it (surprisingly as I had read a lot of negatives about Letrozole) *but* I did share with her that my knees have felt weak ever since starting it just over a week ago. Wasn't phasedSmiley Happy. Same with my BP. It's been creeping up a bit since starting Letrozole buy again, the mindset seems to be "we are dealing with cancer here so you'll just need to find a way with your GP to manage your BP". I do get her approach but every time I come away from my appointments with her I just feel the compassion is lacking. Yes, I get that cancer is serious and we must take it seriously, but surely a heart attack or stroke from BP rising as a result of Letrozole is a concern too.

I *was* hypertense before but now that I am on BP meds I was disappointed to see my readings increase.

I have always been anti-drug and so the idea of taking one drug/med to ward off the side effects of another doesn't sit well with me. My nurse friends are so different-they love popping pills and take tablets whenever they need. I've never been like that. I have always preferred to rest and sleep off whatever ails me. Sadly my coping mechanism will not suffice this time roundSmiley Happy.

OK-I've gotta pack and then get to my hair appointment! Thanks for your bon voyage wishes. Where do *your* relatives live? If I don't respond before I leave tomorrow, I'll respond when I get back on 28th, if not before.  

xx

Hi Marla, my relatives also live in a different country but I have my husband with me who is my rock. You should take up the offer of your friend to acompany you, you have already proven you don't rely on anyone. Also, one day they will stop asking and we do not want that. That is very scary, those typos in letters if it concerns what side should be operated on. I will be more alert to check these kind of things.

Have a good time in Canada!

It most certainly is, Diane! I wish I had a Roger! Smiley Happy. I've been going to all of my appointments alone, and though a friend has offered to come with me, I've been braving it myself because I don't want to rely on anyone. 

I realise I am coming across as a cynic, but I've heard the reason the BC nurses are in the consultations with us, isn't to provide us with support, as much as it is to avoid any legal repercussions down the road ("you said X", "no, I didn't, you misunderstood me"). And so I've always felt very much like I've been outnumbered at my consultations, as in a two against one, situation. I don't actually feel like I need a nurse in my appointments with me-I arrive with my clipboard, take notes, ask any Q's and leave. It's also quite clear that the nurse is there for the consultant rather than us, because if it *were* for us-we should be asked "would you like a nurse in your appointments with you"-I haven't been offered the *choice*. I just find it all a little weird. I'm a stickler for accuracy, and not only have I found significant typos in letters (as in "right" as opposed to "left" breast) etc but my nurse made a comment in passing to me, about me, but was *not* me-if you know what I mean. She must have been thinking of someone else.

A very wise woman on this forum advised in one of her postings to write in large letters the cup size you and your plastic surgeon agreed on so there are no misudnerstandings or mistakes on the day. As wise as this advice is-it worries me that we would even need to consider this. I would hate to think that my consultant doesn't remember my "case" or details of my case. 

I'm just crossing my fingers all goes well on the day-or I will be phoning my lawyerSmiley Happy.

OK-I'm off to my appointment....hope you have a good few days if I'm not back before.

xxxx 

I will be having a lumpectomy on November 8th, I can’t believe how quickly everything moves. 

I’m just glad Roger came with me, I have no idea what my consultant was saying ☹️ It’s almost like it’s not happening isn’t it 😢 xx

Hi Helenann,

I hope you are doing well? Thanks for the well wishes.

Yes, I get my results back today and am determined not to think too much about it until I'm on Canadian soil and can make sense of it all with the people who love me most. It's been very difficult being so far from my parents (who are the closest people to me), so if I don't update here before I'm back, don't worry-I'll be in good hands.

xxxxx

Hi Wahini-thanks for clarifying.  What do you mean by side effects of the node clearance? Do you mean how sore the arm is after the procedure? I'm so sorry you've been on such a roller coaster ride. 

I'm a bit hurried today because I fly tomorrow but will be back properly, as soon as I can.

Till then-sending lots of love and healing vibes to you...

xxx 

Hi this will be my third surgery. Two years ago I was diagnosed with low grade DCIS and it was taken care off with a lumpectomy and nothing else. Mammogram year later didn't show anything sinister. Then half a year ago I felt lump under the scar and hoped it was scar tissue but after a while I thought I better have it checked. Another lump and the dreaded biopsies and this time invasive cancer plus some ambiguous tissue near it! It was classified as grade 2, probably stage 1/2, and it was taken out together with a few lymph nodes end of August. The pathology report of this lump was not good, it was upgraded to grade 3 and a couple of lymph nodes infected. I am not worried they mis-diagnosid, I could feel for myself it was not good. So, now I will have mastectomy and node clearance (which scares me most because of the side effects). The surgeon said " you have been on a bit of a roller coaster", feels more like a downhill slide more like to me. Fortunately the CT scan came back clear.

Hi Maria- just wanted to say hope you have a great time with your parents.
Do you get your oncotype test results today?
Take care.
Xxx

Best of luck for 12th November Jmag81! 

I'm away from tomorrow till 28th Oct but will be back then-feel free to connect with other November surgery women here and I'll be sure to wish you lots of luck again nearer the 12th. Till then, try and do nice things for you!

xxx

Highlighted

Hi ladies, my surgery is booked for 12th November, not as extensive as some of yours, I'm having a lumpectomy and SNB, so no reconstruction needed, hope not left too 'deformed' x

Hi Wahini-I'm so relieved for you that your CT scan came back clear. I know we've "met" on another thread but my memory is failing me and I can't recall your story....please remind me....when did it all re-start for you and what is your current diagnosis/treatment plan? 

xxx

Hi Wahini

Glad your CT was clear. It's such a relief, isn't it! All the best for your surgery

Hi Maria

Good luck for your surgery too

Hi Marla, I will have surgery the day after you as my CT scan came back clear. Phew! The first positive test result in a line of several bad news test results since it all (re-)started. I will have mastectomy of right breast with immediate reconstruction with an implant and mesh, and lymph node clearance. 

Hi Pastamissus,

Thanks very much for clarifying. I'm learning something new every single day. OK-that all makes sense to me now. I empathise with your situation-they couldn't feel my breast cancer either-it only showed up on the mammogram but it has lobular features which is what makes it a bit more "interesting" as my surgeon said. I think the lobular nature of it means it is all over the place (in the breast) rather than confined to one lump. I have Invasive Ductal with lobular features. I find out on Friday whether I will need chemo. I have *everything* crossed-if you know what I meanSmiley Happy

xx

If the SNB shows up lymph nodes with definite cancer (which mine did) then they do an axillary clearance, which is removal of all the lymph nodes in the armpit on that side. If the SNB only shows what they call micrometastases (odd cancer cells) then I think they tend to leave them without surgery and go for radiotherapy. With mine, they removed something from quite high up in the breast, it was either a lymph node which had been taken over by cancer, or a second cancer, or spread from the main cancer which was quite a way away (lobular). So basically, they want to throw everything at it. Then the MRI showed I had a cancer in the other breast, which no-one can feel, even when they know where it is!

Hi Pastamissus,

I'm sorry to hear you need a second mastecomy. Can I just ask: if the SNB isn't clear-what further op will they do? I thought the idea of a mastectomy was that it removes all the cancer from the breast? Where will they operate if the SNB isn't clear....in the armpit area? (apologies if I'm asking the obvious-this is all new to me).

My fingers are crossed for you that all will be clear for you on 8th November.

xxxx

Hi Jacqui,

Welcome to the November "gang"-not a gang we really want to be part of, but hey ho! I'm really pleased you feel fine on Letrozole. I, too, am on Letrozole-just a week though, and am feeling OK on it except for 'weak' knees. I can live with it, as it is now...I just hope it doesn't progressively get worse. I'm going to discuss having the bone scan when I see my oncologist on Friday just to be sure I am not vulnerable to developing any bone-related issues.

It's reassuring to know that I'm not alone in thinking they've made a mistake with the biopsy results! Me too-no symptoms, no lump. Invasive Ductal Carcinoma with lobular features. We're nearly twinsSmiley Happy

As for tips: I've found a lot of useful information on the following thread:

https://forum.breastcancercare.org.uk/t5/Surgery/DIEP-recovery-queries/m-p/1240550/highlight/true#M5...

I'm in the same position as you are-just waiting for my surgery so I don't feel best placed to offer tips just yet but hope that I will be able to once I'm on the other side of my surgery.

I've actually been out all afternoon shopping for elasticated stretchy trousers-so that when I am well enough to venture out (even with swollen belly) I look half decentSmiley Happy. I found some leopard and other animal print stuff at Zara today...I find animal print is a great way to conceal any extra lumps and bumpsSmiley Happy.

Your surgery is 9 days before mine. Some useful tips I've gathered include having your refridgerator stocked with your favourite things so that you don't have to cook when you get home from hospital.

I am going to make an on-line food order from my hospital bed, once I know my discharge date because (I live alone) and there are certain foods that will just go off if I buy them too far in advance (and my freezer is small so I can't freeze *everything*). 

I'm around till Friday and then off for a week, but if I get any notifications while I'm away I'll do my best to reply.

xxx

Good luck on the 8th November. I'll be thinking of you xx

Hi Marla13
I've posted and inadvertently made another thread for November Surgery- ooops!
So repeating myself here as want to 'join your gang'.
I'm due my right breast mastectomy and DIEP Recon. on 5/11. I've been waiting months for this op but now that is getting nearer, I'm feeling really anxious.
Like you, I keep thinking that they may have made a mistake, but I think its because I can't feel anything, which apparently is common with lobular BC.
I do feel really well cared for so far, everyone from the BCN to the breast surgeon and the plastic surgeon, have been frank and honest and I do trust them. As the op has been long awaited (first diagnosed 2/7) my Breast surgeon has put me on Letrozole already, as he said I'll have to take it post-surgery anyway.
I've been taking it for 2mths and so far I feel fine. Also taking VitD and Calcium.
Getting my bag ready for hospital stay, any tips greatly appreciated.
Have a lovely trip xx

Due surgery 8 Nov - second mastectomy with SNB and axillary clearance the other side (initial mastectomy 30 Aug). No reconstruction - going flat. Really hope the SNB is clear, otherwise I'm going to need yet another op and it delays the radio and chemo even more.

November 2018 Surgery...

Hi Ladies,

I'm going to be taking a short break from the forum while I get myself (and my home) ready for my upcoming surgery-I'm also flying abroad this week-end to visit my parents for a week before my surgery date (14th Nov) but before I disappear for a few days, I thought to start a November surgery thread because I'm sure I am not the only one who's date is in November. I will be having a skin sparing mastectomy with sentinel node mapping (left breast only) with immediate DIEP reconstruction. I've been fortunate enough to have "met" some incredible women on here who have had the same op and who have recovered, or are recovering well, and though I had a meltdown a week or so ago, I'm feeling much more optimistic about the op (providing the diagnosis is accurate)-yes, there is still a part of me that is thinking "are you sure the biopsy results were *mine* and not someone else's". I'm only too aware that mistakes do happen and the thought of having my boob removed for no reason at all (i.e., in error) sends shivers up my spine. I'm sure I am not the only one who has questioned the reliability of their biopsy results! That aside...

I welcome any other November surgery gals to join me here and share with us what upcoming surgery you will be having, and whether you're having immediate, delayed, or no reconstruction. 

As I typed the above sentence, it does remind me of ordering a drink at Starbucks....there are many different permutations and combinations of treatments, reconstructions, etc. and no two "cases" are the same. 

xxxx