333002posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

November 2019 Surgery

56 REPLIES 56

Re: November 2019 Surgery

Omg indeed debelina! Two teeth out and £50 out of pocket. What a rubbish day. I really really hope that Saturday and Sunday turn out much better for you love and that you don’t have much pain from the dentistry to contend with. My kids are getting up so the Xmas decoration process will start soon...have you done yours now?

Hi Charlotte, sorry for the reasons you find yourself here and that you’ve had troubles with your leg. Getting that drained sounds painful. Sad to hear you’re suffering from other worries and troubles on top - sending you a hug. We’re here for a rant if you need one Xxx

OMG OMG OMG to top my day off I have just been informed by my husband that I spent £49.99 on a mediation app I downloaded of iTunes when I was in hospital...…..there was a lady on my ward who bless her had surgery and had to sleep sitting up which meant that she snored really really loudly......well I couldn't sleep because of the noise so I decided to download this meditation app to help me sleep thinking it was free but in my painkiller induced brain fog I didn't realise I signed up for a years subscription......and the best of it is I didn't use it because I promptly fell asleep after downloading it because it took all my energy up looking for it on my phone...……..could my day get any more worse...…. Rizzer please tell me your bad days are now looking a wee bit better compared to mine Smiley LOL

Hi, I’m 2.5 weeks post mastectomy tug flap reconstruction and lymph node clearance. I’m feeling okay my leg is sore as I have had to have excess fluid build up drained and I’m struggling with my underarm. 
Hope everyone post surgery is doing okay. I’m having family dramas and it make me feel worse than the surgery.

charlotte 

Sending you positive thoughts to Rizzer…….our poor babies......thank god we have them to focus on and help us from spending every day in our beds because we can't face anything.....on a plus note to your low mood think of meeeeeeeee…..I went for the recommended dental check up before chemo today and ended up having to have my two back teeth pulled out......I am 43 years old and the only thing the dentist has ever had to do was give me a filling about 10 years ago so not only has cancer ripped away by boob but now its taken two of my teeth too...….seriously I am having the biggest diva night tonight Smiley LOLSmiley LOLSmiley LOL on a serious note I really hope tomorrow is a better day for you xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sounds like you’ve got a lot to contend with Debelina. Withdrawal must be hard, especially with the new worry about your neck. I can understand why you’re gutted. I hope so much that you can get some reassurance on Wednesday. This isn’t easy is it.... Each new worry/shock/disappointment. 

Good for you putting the Xmas tree up. I plan to do the same for my 9yo. My daughter (2.5) will love it too, of course, but he is clearly struggling seeing his Mum so low and I want to do it for him. I’m thinking of you debelina and hoping the process of doing all the Xmas stuff actually helps lift our spirits a bit. Please let us know how you get on on Wednesday. Sending you lots of love and luck Xxx

Awwwww Shi and Rizzer I hope you are both well x Rizzer I am sad you are feeling down its really really horrible and I hope you will have something positive today even if its only taking a step outside your front door and breathing fresh air deeply xxxx

I am now feeling clear headed and calm without taking my anti anxiety tablets as my oncologist said this would interfere with my treatment and delighted that I have made the decision not to take them and gotten through the withdrawal.

Unfortunately today I got a call from my breast cancer nurse to tell me I have a area of concern on my neck and need to go on Wednesday for an ultra sound...….this was totally unexpected as I didn't realise you had lymph nodes in your neck and I thought that because all my lymph nodes were removed under my arm and only one was cancerous that there was so further cancer spread. Totally gutted but not going to pieces which is good going because I haven't got my medication to fall back on. I'm hoping that maybe my pneumonia has just enlarged the lymph nodes in my neck so that's how I'm going to stay positive until the ultra sound.

Rizzer we are putting our Christmas tree up today......honestly I couldn't give a damn this year and I am the most Christmassy person in our whole family/street/town but my son is 12 and I want to try to keep things as positive as possible for him...…...I wish I could give you some realllllyyyyyyy helpful advice to get you over your hopeless feelings but I understand its something you need to work through yourself but Rizzer your not alone pet xxxxxxx

Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Rizzer ❤️You are amazing ❤️Everyone on here is amazing, the Breast Cancer Now team is amazing and together we 👭👭 ❤️❤️ Each other always, you are never alone and never will be ❤️ You are doing fantastic even if you don’t think you are Rizzer, you are ❤️ 💕💕✨✨Shi xx

Thank you Shi. You’re pretty amazing. This is such a lonely process and to get your post is wonderful. Thanks from the bottom of my heart X 

Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Rizzer ❤️ Of course your head and emotions are all over the place it’s understandable. Remember you are beautiful and you are amazing ❤️❤️ It’s easy to allow it to take your joy, 👭👭 don’t let it ❤️ See how bright the Christmas lights shine, they shine more bright now, everything will seem super sharpe focus, listen to the dawn chorus and take time to enjoy things that you forget to enjoy, don’t know if I am making any sense but I hope so ❤️ 💕💕✨✨Shi xx

How is everyone doing? Been struggling again these last couple of days. I thought I would based on last time a couple of days post-op, but am feeling pretty hopeless and it’s hard to cope with the ramp-up to Xmas that’s all around. Just needed to say it. Love to all X

Highlighted

Rizzer I your body must be recovering really well after your mastectomy if you are home already after more surgery.......I am glad you are home Smiley Happy

My chemo is starting on the 16th or 17th. I am having the FEC-T cocktail with Herceptin & Perjecta. I've been seeing all these letters about chemo and didn't know what it actually meant but now I understand what they mean!

Hope you have a comfortable night x

Hi Debelina 

I’m home now. Thanks to a lot of IV fluids and oxygen I felt a helluva lot better this time round. How was the first chemo appointment? Do you have a plan of sorts? X

Rizzer I hope you are feeling a bit stronger this evening......how long do you need to stay in hospital for?

My scar where my nodes came out is healing beautifully but I can't feel anything under my arm still.....I hope you don't need to wait too long for the results xxxx

Hi all,

went in yesterday at 4pm and had an alright night. How are you doing debelina? X

Thanks debelina. Good luck with yours. Glad to hear it’s not been cancelled X 

Hi Rizzer….my appointment is going ahead...…I will be thinking of you today for your appointment......let us know how you get on x

Glad to hear your head feels clearer debelina and that the new boob is behaving itself! Disruption at the hospital must be unsettling for you. I hope you get to go on Monday or at least very shortly afterwards to get cracking.
Wishing everyone a good rest of weekend X  

Good morning everyone....just checking in to see how everyone is feeling and if anyone needs a rant x

I have had a really tough 2 days but woke up this morning and my head feels a lot more clearer...….I think I held it together to long from my dx and just fell apart so I'm really glad that parts over so that when I fall apart again I know what it is thats happening to me...….I honestly couldn't understand why I felt so crap because my surgery went really well apart from the pneumonia and its been confirmed I am having chemo, targeted and hormone therapy which I am so relieved to be able to get as I know there are so many people (including my dad) who have been told that these treatments simply won't help them but I need to just pick myself up and get strong again for chemo starting.

You know what I have my appointment for my chemo planning on Monday but I think its going to be cancelled because my hospital is having a strike and all outpatient appointments have been cancelled. 

My wound scars are so pink, healthy and juicy looking and my new tummy/boob isn't being rejected by my body so it looks like she's here to stay Smiley Very Happy

Hope you are ok Rizzer and getting reading for Monday......try to be gentle with yourself this weekend xxxx

Thanks for the hug Shi x Certainly appreciated it. Last night was hard. 
Just checking in to see how you’re feeling today Debelina? How is everyone else doing?X

Oh Debelina I’m so sorry to hear that. You’ve been through so much, including pneumonia. It’s a real trauma for the body and it’s totally understandable and not at all surprising once the distraction of pain eases up a little that you feel pretty rubbish mentally. I don’t think it’s always onwards and upwards as far as your feelings are concerned. Some days it just gets overwhelming and that’s totally natural. I felt just the same a couple of days after coming home, hence my post about post-op blues, and I didn’t go thru the sort of lengthy op you did - so I imagine your physical recovery is slower. I know everyone is different, but if it’s any comfort, that desperately sad feeling did pass for me after a few days as my body healed that bit more. 

The prospect of more surgery and tests now looms on Monday, so my head’s definitely gone down since yesterday. Chemo is hanging over you too, when I imagine you’re not feeling like you’ve got your head and body round what’s just happened.  I am thinking of you my forum friend, and wishing you all the best X

Hi Rizzer…..I don't want to leave the bedroom unless I absolutely have too......I am so teary and cant stop crying and the worst of it is I actually am feeling not as much pain today so you would think I would want to get up but I'm really not in the mood to be positive today so I am going the lie here and weep for a while.....have a good day everyone.....I actually do mean that x

Hi Debelina, glad to hear you’re up and about. The bedroom carnage can wait! Nice to hear you’ve made contact with someone on the ward and hopefully can give each other a bit of moral support thru the dreaded Chemo. Thanks for sharing your experiences with the axillary clearance. I hope you make it out of the bedroom and well past your son’s room today! Trying to live a bit rather than just exist while waiting for the op again on Monday. Consultant hassled me to stay on with the exercises as he said the scar tissue will be a pain for him (and me) to deal with otherwise. Wishing everyone going through this all the best X

Hiiiiiii Rizzer,

I slept soooo much better last night after relenting and taking something to help me sleep so I slept for a solid 5 hours without waking......I can really feel the difference today because I managed to walk from our room into our sons room......saw the carnage and promptly came back to bed and slept for two hours so that's progress in my book Smiley LOL

I am petrified of chemo.....my but I'm going to start reading the info books the nurse gave me this evening.

I knew from my initial dx that my lymph nodes where holding some cancer and that made it easier for me to accept having them all removed.....in the end only 1 out of the 20 was cancerous but it was one too many for me!

I don't feel pain at all under my arm sometimes a bit of tingling and today is my first day only using paracetamol so for me its manageable. They used glue and dissolvable stitches which are now showered away and there is a lovely healthy pink line for my scar and its so so thin. My vest top isn't irritating it at all. A girl on my ward had her mastectomy 3 weeks and was in for her axillary clearance......out of 16 lymph nodes 13 of hers was cancerous.....and we are texting because we will probably have chemo at the same time.....her axillary clearance recovery sounds even better than mine.

This is so wick xxxx

Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Rizzer and debelina😘sorry you’ve both got to have chemo 👭and rizzer sorry you’ve got to have node clearance now too. Please look at the starting chemo threads, lots of good tips and advice on there, if you are starting in December there is already a starting Chemotherapy December 2019 thread started. It’s such a lot to take in just now, so have a read through those and if you want a laugh please read our crazy Oct17 chemo thread, if nothing else it will get you 😁 as you read us navigating through 👭together. You will always have people on here that understand and don’t forget the ask the nurse facility and the someone like me options on here and find strawberry blondes mountain lion story 💪💪 sending big ❤️And ask away about anything, someone will always be able to give love and support and any tips 💕💕✨✨Shi xx

Thanks Debelina. I hope you had a better night? I’m sorry you’ve got to go thru it too. How are you feeling about Chemo starting? Have you had full axillary clearance then as part of your surgery? Thanks for responding to my post. It’s a comfort to know someone understands. Sending you lots of love X 

Oh Rizzer I am gutted for you.....to go from one operation to another so soon isn't fair xxx

I got my letter today confirming my results and will be staying with you on our journey which looks like is going to last longer than we hoped. I'm having my chemo appointment on Monday. 

Sending you lots of love x

Hi. My cancer is in my lymph nodes and I have to have another op to remove all my nodes. Probably Monday. I’m certainly having Chemo and Radiotherapy. I am totally gutted X

Awwwww Rizzer our poor bodies......I was horrified when I saw my tummy scar and my tummy/boob......she looks like a boob but there is no nipple and the scar are pretty tremendous holding it in place across the middle of it......I could have nipple reconstruction to add one on but I am not going too....I made the decision to go through the reconstruction and mastectomy during one operation because I don't want to go back into hospital for anymore operations as my anxiety is too high. I feel a bit better today now I have seen my body but who knows how I will feel tomorrow!

I am so glad you are getting your results in the morning and not in the afternoon......less waiting......please let us know how you get on and naturally sending you positive hopeful thoughts x

You so didn’t the need the pneumonia on top of op recovery as well, but I’m glad to hear you’re up and moving about, Debelina. I hope you have a better night tonight x 

I’ve been eyeballing my mastectomy scar today, having thought... I’m going to give myself a cricked neck by avoiding looking down in the bath. Not horrific or anything, just a bit emotional to see a flat chest on one side. Bizarrely keep getting the ‘let down’ prickly experience familiar from breastfeeding, but clearly there’s nothing there now. Makes me sad when it happens.  

Ive been dedicated to doing my arm exercises and although painful, I hope I’m making progress. I’ve found the morphine unpleasant (nausea/dizziness) so am sticking to the paracetamol or codeine. 

I have my results tomorrow at 9.30 so am fearing all sorts of horrible outcomes. Still, there’s absolutely nothing I can do about it now. 
wishing you all lots of love and healing X 

I feel like absolute not niceness Smiley Sad but I am still glad to be home. My hubby got a call at 11pm last night to collect my medication but to be honest I had such a rough night I couldn't have told you if it made a difference!

I cannot believe how poorly I feel......I am constantly shivering and sweating and its awful.....I know this is the pneumonia and I need to be over it so much. 

On the absolute positive side of things my diep scar is healing so well, my tummy tissue that is now my new breast is so pink and healthy and although under my arm where I had my lymph nodes removed is sore and tender its bearable especially as I had no feeling under it yesterday. I can safely say that my recovery from the mastectomy and DIEP is so unbelievably not scary and I am a real pain diva!!!! Today I walked around my bedroom with a straight back Smiley Happy

Dreading tonight and the night chills Smiley Sad

Okkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk feel so much better after that little rant...….how has everyone coped with their recovery today? 

Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

😁😘debelina, I had pillows all round me in bed when I got home, like a wall of pillows, it just made sure I didn’t do any moving through the night when back in own bed. Now amazing lady, rest up and enjoy being home 😁👍❤️💕💕✨✨Shi xx

Hi Debelina

Great to hear from you. Have been wondering how you’re doing. No clot, thank goodness, but pneumonia? That’s certainly something you could have done without. Reading between the lines of your email... Are you glad to be home by any chance!!? 😉 I hope you can get comfy enough to sleep without your pain relief. Very very glad to hear from you and sending you a big hug Xx

Ladies...…… I AM HOME I AM HOME I AM HOME Smiley Happy Ok so I was supposed to get out on Friday but I got a clot in my lung which ended up thank god not being a clot but pneumonia instead...…...and ok I am home with no pain relief and waiting on my hubby getting a call letting him know when he needs to go back and get it but I cant believe I am home!!!!!!

Happy to answer any questions...….and big hugs to us all xxxxxxx

Thanks rizzer. Sounds like you are doing great. I’m hoping to be able to do similar. 
Thank you for the lanyard tip, will have a look at getting some. 
Wishing you luck with your recovery and onward journey xx 

L x 

Sorry meant to say op was on Monday 18th (not yesterday!) 

Hi lbow82 

Lots of love to you. I’m at home recovering from the mastectomy and sentinel node biopsy. I am also having a delayed reconstruction (it all felt like too much to contemplate for me at this point). 
In terms of pjs I would say, based on where my one drain is, it’s fine to have long sleeves buttoning at the front. Mine comes straight down slightly to my left side and is taped to my ribs. You can slide that arm in first. It is also very quick and easy from my experience to empty the drain. 
One tip I would give - I can’t remember now who suggested it - was to get hold of some cheap lanyard holders on amazon so you can hang it round you neck and clip the drain to something for hands-free bathing/dressing. 
Ive found it hard not to feel a bit low about everything since the op, but I know this isn’t the case for everyone. And yes, the results are looming. The docs and nurses were absolutely lovely tho and with their support and your loved ones around you you can do this lady. 
I walked a couple of miles (slowly!) yesterday (Op on Monday 22nd) and am cracking on with arm physio exercises so physically you should feel a lot better after 2-3 days. Sending you lots of hugs and healing wishes. If there’s anything else I can answer around the op please just get in touch Xx

Hi. I’m having a single mastectomy (delayed reconstruction) and senetal node biopsy on Tuesday next week. I’m still not sure how I feel about it. I will be glad to get the cancer out of my body but I’m not sure how I will feel about my post op body. However hard I try I can’t imagine what it is going to look and feel like. 
It has been good to read people’s experiences and advice on this thread. I have only bought long sleeved button through shirts and pjs, mainly because I’m always cold - do people recommend short sleeved? If so, can I ask why? 
Also, how have people got on with the drain? Is it easy to empty/change? My partner isn’t very good with blood/bodily fluids but insists he will change it for me! 
I still don’t know what my follow up treatment is going to be which is playing on my mind. I feel like I’m in a bit of a limbo - knowing the cancer is going to be gone (hopefully) but not knowing what’s coming next. 
Good luck and big hugs to everyone having surgery this month xx 

L x 

Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi rizzer  sending big ❤️ Glad to hear you are home and sorry you’ve got post op blues. I can only speak for myself here, post op is a bit of a right, that’s the op done 👍then you kind of morn the loss of your post op body, but celebrate too because they’ve got the cancer out, so it’s quite a strange feeling, you also have to say hello to new body and I said right we are getting through this together. Hope that doesn’t sound too mad. To help my husband feel included and helpful, while everything was heeling, I asked him if he would mind just checking the wound when I was concerned after bandages were off to see what he thought, it did help him feel useful, included and a help to me and it got him over any worry of looking at me. They honestly don’t care you know as king as we are ok, that’s all husbands, wives, partners care about ❤️ I don’t know if this helps at all, but hope it does 😘💕💕✨✨Shi xx

Anyone around? Feeling pretty low about it all. Today been a sad day. Does anyone else have experience of post-op lows or advice they can share? X

Hi all, how is everyone doing? 
Im home now after the mastectomy and lymph stuff. I hope you’re recovering well Debelina. Feel weird looking at my flat left side but that’s to be expected I guess. Your op sounds much more involved with the tummy. I imagine you’re pretty sore. I hope you have some good drugs. Sending you lots of healing X 

Hi Debelina 

Sending you lots of love and hugs my dear.

X

Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Debelina, ❤️👭❤️ For tomorrow, this is like a grand national hurdle that you will fly over, have total trust in your surgeon and team and let them take care if you. You just let yourself and body heal and rest afterwards, you will be amazed how quickly your body will heal, just be sensible and follow your teams advice and guidance and for anything else you’ve all us on here, the ask the nurse facility and the someone like me facility 👭👭 you’ve got this 💪💪👍👍😘😘 and we will all be 👭👭with you tomorrow ❤️💕💕✨✨Shi xx

Hi there...… I am having my surgery tomorrow. I am all marked with the permanent marker where the surgeons are going to remove my breast and part of my tummy for my diep reconstruction...… I have just had my injection to avoid blood clots and my 'big' socks are on my bedside table to put on in the morning. I need to be at the hospital for 7am and I am the only one booked into the theatre tomorrow so they are planning to begin at 8.30am.....the surgeons hope to be finished in 8 hours. I so need this operation.....my breast is so sore and I can now see where the tumour is pressing at my nipple which makes it all seem so real now. I only need to hold it together until I say cheerio to my son who is only 12 years old in the morning then I am going to feel like I can totally go to pieces so he won't see. I couldn't have gotten this far and held it together if I didn't have this forum and been able to read everyone's experiences and feelings.....so a massive thank you to you all.....sending much hope to you all xxxxx

Rizzer……sending you lots of hope and calmness for today x

Hi rizzer 

There was no way I was missing my concert lol.

I have just finished chemo and starting rads this week.

Best wishes everyone x

Melanie good luck with your recovery..... good advice with the pain relief xxxx

Hi,

I had surgery on Friday and I got home Saturday. I'd recommend taking a dressing gown as well but they will give you a hospital one if you don't have one. Also I took jammies in with me but also took a light top and shorts which I ended up wearing instead. My top is really lose and quite strappy so it didn't get in the way of the drain and didn't restrict my arm which is more sore than my boob (I got a mastectomy and then implant reconstruction.) They offered me dihydrocodine before bed, my advice TAKE IT, I didn't as I felt amazing, like I thought I could run a marathon but believe me it was the meds talking, i woke up at 4.30 barely able to move. I've found it's best to avoid the pain in the first place rather than have to make up for it. Good luck and know that there is loads of support, also make sure you don't go home until you feel that you are comfortable, it took me until the early afternoon to stop feeling woozy every time I stood up. They did say that there was no rush which made me feel better about taking my time. 

All the best,

Melanie

Thanks for taking the time to post Katy. I can’t tell you how much difference it makes to feel that someone really understands.  Looking back at what’s behind you and offering help to those about to face it, is really kind of you and everyone else who has contributed their experiences. It made me smile to think of careful dancing at Wembley! Good on you. 
Glad you managed to avoid the rib removal. Have you been through Chemo or radiotherapy subsequently? 
X

Hi ladies

I had my mastectomy in May and I found the forum really helpful so I thought I would add my 2 pence!

I echo what Shi said about taking to the hospital. I would also recommend a small pillow to put under your arm pit especially at night. I was given a heart shaped one (with matching bag to put my drains in) and it made a real difference.

I had a full node clearance from arm pit and also had node removed from my chest. This involved going between my ribs to get to them. I have 4 removed. They did warn me that they may need to remove a bit of rib if they couldn't get to them, but luckily this wasn't needed.

Because of the chest nodes I was in hospital for three days, so would also say don't forget your phone charger!

The drains were more of an inconvenience than painful, but u get used to them. I was really worried about having them out but they came out easily and pain free :-)

Once out of hospital I was surprised to be virtually pain free and was dancing (carefully) at a concert at Wembley only 3 weeks later !

Hope this helps, happy to answer any questions you have, especially about the internal nodes as this is a bit more unusual. 

Best wishes everyone 

Katy

Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

That’s great you are having chat before Monday. I always went armed with a notepad, questions written down. They are the experts and do treat bc all the time ❤️ Get yourself a nice scarf while in London to wear for after the op and a new lippy ❤️ A new lippy is always good. If I can’t get on forum the next few days please use ask the nurse facility and there will alway be others who have had surgery already popping in with any help and support they can offer ❤️ Be gentle with yourselves everyone it’s not a sprint, but you do feel like giving usain bolt a run for his money at times. And well done everyone for being vigilant and taking action to see your doctors, you are doing amazing. If you feel able to tell as many people as you can to check themselves regardless of age ❤️ It’s so very important ❤️ Even if it’s a random stranger, your conversation could help save a life ❤️💕💕✨✨Shi xx