cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

November 2019 Surgery

86 REPLIES 86
Highlighted

Re: November 2019 Surgery

Thank you so much Debelina. Well done on getting through your first two (I think) chemo sessions. Sending hugs to everyone. Xx

Highlighted

Lucylump......I am pleased to read your news and hope u r recovering well x

Highlighted

Hi Sam, well done for finishing chemo. It is such a good feeling to have got through it. Keep going Rizzer and Debelina. You will get there too. Hope you are Ok Carisma and Shelton. I saw my breast surgeon for the results from my second op on Friday and he said that from what he could tell the margins looked fine now. He said he needed to discuss it with the wider team but that all looked good so hopefully no more surgery needed now. Keep looking forward to the spring everyone. You can do this. Sending hugs to you all. Xx

Highlighted

@lucylump and @rizzer

Thanks for the fabulous advice, that's added some more questions to an already long list.  Much appreciated and I'll be back very soon.

Last chemo was yesterday (yay!) and appointment with surgeon 15th.

Thanks again

Sam

Highlighted

Thank you Lucylump - I hope your results were ok.  

Highlighted

Good Luck with your surgery Carisma. Sorry to hear you need more as well. I hope you don't need chemo but if you do it is doable. Great to get support from others on here going through the same thing too. Hope your surgery is soon so you can get it over with. Let us know how you get on. Sending hugs. Xx

Highlighted

Hi Shelton

I also had surgery in November 19 (WLE and SNB) and now need more - mastectomy and node clearance.  I feel as though I am starting at the beginning of my journey again.  I am still awaiting the date for my surgery and although I was able to (mostly) put it out of my mind over Christmas, now things are getting back to normal, all my anxieties have come rushing back.   I will not know what further treatment I will need until after my surgery (chemo & radiotherapy or radiotherapy alone). 

Highlighted

Hi Shelton, sorry to hear you need more surgery. I was the same. I had my first op on 18 November and the second one on 9 December as margins weren’t clear. Going back for the results this Friday. When is your op planned? I hope it is not this week although it is good to get it over with. Xx

Highlighted

I had surgery in November 19. Now I need more.

Highlighted

Hey Sam,

Glad to hear you’re getting thru’ chemo ok and you’ve had good shrinkage of those lumps. I’m starting on Thursday.

Im not sure I had any questions as such to ask the surgeon. He was keen to offer me some form of lumpectomy/immediate recon, but I just wanted the boob gone and would think about recon down the line. He said there was no benefit to my doing that in terms of disease, but when I saw my oncologist he said I think your surgeon was right to go for full mastectomy with delayed recon. So I said, errrr well he didn’t recommend that actually! 

It’s everyone’s personal choice of course, but I knew I didn’t want to face a long surgery at this stage. I’m not horrified by my scar or anything. If you want to see what it looks like, 2 weeks post 2nd surgery am happy to PM you a photo. 

In terms of advice, I’d say in no particular order:

1. Pick up some lanyard holder things for round your neck, so you can clip your drain to it - then you are able to use 2 hands in the shower and move properly. You’ll benefit from a cloth/light/small shoulder bag to put your drain in at other times. 

2. Do your arm exercises regularly to keep the movement. This is particularly important if you’re having axillary node clearance too (I’ve been much stiffer after that op) My surgeon said as long as you support the drain by pressing on where it enters the breast area, you should be getting that arm up in the air ASAP while it’s still raw and not trying to fight through scar tissue after a week. He was adamant about the importance of this for long term mobility. 
3. Take some form of laxatives! The surgery definitely bunged me up. They gave me movicol which works best if you get started straightaway post op

4. I felt very nauseated immediately after my first op and threw up all the water and food I had, but the second op was much easier on that front because I a) made sure I ate and drank properly right up till the cut off points you’re given and I b) went on and on about having IV fluids and oxygen which really really helped my recovery. If you do feel awful (and not everyone does of course with anaesthetic) bear in mind you may be dehydrated. 

Wishing you all the best Sam Xx

Highlighted

Hi Sam, I am probably not the best person to ask as I didn't really ask my surgeon any questions other than 'how long do I have to stay in hospital?' and 'shouldn't I be having a mastectomy instead?' I had a wide local excision (lumpectomy) plus complete axillary node clearance. I then had to go back for a second op to get wider margins. In both cases the ops were totally fine. After the first one I was driving within 5 days. There is a bit of pain but it is not unbearable in my case and it is mainly at night. In terms of what to buy I would buy pain killers in case you need them and an extra pillow if you don't have one spare. I got given a little heart shaped pillow at the hospital which was really sweet and it is still useful to tuck under my affected arm at night. I think lots of people do get them free but if not it is useful to have one. I have seen them for sale on Etsy. Re going to hospital......I really wished I had taken more food (after the op I was really hungry). It is also really difficult to sleep in hospital so I wish I had taken an eye mask and ear plugs as well! Good Luck and do let us know how you get on. Best wishes, Louise Xx

Highlighted

Morning ladies,

I've read your posts and would like any suggestions as to key questions to ask my surgeon as have my initial meeting re surgery Weds.  Am due to complete chemo end Dec so op most likely end Jan I guess.

I'm not that bothered (despite some of your experiences) re the surgery and had a relatively easy time on chemo (a few hurdles but nothing a tough northern idiot can't face).  Just want to ensure as am fully informed regarding the next phase and in a good position to challenge the experts where necessary (a valuable lesson for me from chemo experience...).

I have stage 2/grade 3 IDC and IBC and have responded well to chemo so lumps shrunk and are less dense (think it was the lumps they were referring to...).  It will be, due to cancer type, full mastectomy in RHS, I also want LHS removed, mainly from a symmetry point of view.  I will be having rads and do want (all be it delayed) reconstruction.

So that's my situation.

Please let me know what I should be asking my surgeon at this stage and also what I need to arm myself with post surgery to speed recovery/reduce pain/make life easier.

Thanks

Sam X

Highlighted

Thanks Louise 😊 Xx

Highlighted

Hi Rizzer, I am doing Ok. I went out tonight to my daughter's school. Still a bit tired but getting back to normal. I don't think I will get radiotherapy until the new year now so will be getting a bit of a break from treatment. Will be thinking of you and Debelina loads next week. Love Louise Xx

Highlighted

How are you doing Louise? Xx

Highlighted

Yay! Debelina so happy for you. Will be thinking of you both next week. Xx

Highlighted
Community Champion
Community Champion

Fantastic news ❤️ Have you both jumped onto December chemo thread, fab bunch on there 👍💕💕shi xx

Highlighted

Debelina I’m so flipping happy for you. I bet that must have been weighing on you heavily...

Brilliant news! 
I’m set to start 8 rounds of Chemo (EC x 4 and 4x Paclitaxel) starting on 18th. Need to get my port put in soon tho’. Not much looking forward to that, but I imagine it will pale into insignificance when the chemo actually starts! Love to all Xx

Highlighted

Helloooooo ladies....just checking in to ask how you are all getting on x

My cancer hasn't spread into my neck so I am all set for Chemo next week.....can't believe it......I had a call and had to go pick a wig yesterday...….I also had my massivo seroma (spelling???) drained.....I thought I would reduce into a size 10 but I am still a size 14 Smiley LOL unfortunately the fluid is returning so I have to let it reabsorb into my body because of risk of infection...….soooooo I am now back to being a human waterbed Smiley Embarassed

Life is sooooo fabulous at the minute Smiley LOLSmiley LOLSmiley LOL

love to all x

Highlighted

Thank you so much Rizzer. I am doing well but a bit tired. Hope everyone is ok. Xx

Highlighted

Debelina, how did the ultrasound go love?

I hope you’re ok... Sending you a hug X

And how’s your recovery going Louise? After both my ops I was ok to begin with but 2/3 days after felt very low, so thought I’d just check in how you’re faring? X

Highlighted

Hi Debelina, once you are over the FEC-T all should be good. I am on herceptin only now (on a mission to get perjeta added because it is really good stuff). Herceptin is giving me no side effects at all. I had 3 lots of perjeta 2 days before the docetaxel and that gave me no side effects either so hopefully you will not have crappy weeks after the FEC-T is finished at all. Definitely all worth it. Hope you have a good day. Xx

Highlighted

LucyLump…...its such a great feeling getting home to your own bed Smiley Happy

I am having 6 cycles of FEC-T and then a years of Herceptin and Perjecta…….totally gutted because I didn't realise the Herceptin & Perjecta have to been given via drip in the chemo unit too......butttttttt it is only every 3rd Monday for a year in my life and hopefully only one week in a month of feeling crappy!

I hope you sleep well tonight too x

Highlighted

Hi Rizzer

Night Sweats are an absolute absolute problem for me every single night.....I have had to take a Nytol a few times to help me sleep and those nights I haven't sweated at all......its the box that says 'one a night' I'm going to ask my nurse how long I can use them but they have been a life saver for me just to get a least one good nights sleep.

Apart from my tummy that reminds me of a waterbed moving my wounds are healing fantastic and my movement is progressing exactly as the surgeon said..... I think I could actually be driving now if it wasn't for my pneumonia chest!

Oh lord I can't believe I am starting Chemo next Tues or Wed......if you happen to be a week after me I was talking today to a lady who asked to postpone her start date for a week so she didn't have to do it over the Christmas week.

I think I am going to be ok on Wednesday I have been soooooo good a trying to be positive the past few days that I totally deserve a break so I am going in with the view that the pneumonia has swollen bits of me and that's what they see on the x-ray...….if its not then it will be a relief to know something has been picked up now instead of a few months down the line.

x

Highlighted

Hi Rizzer and Debelina and other November surgery ladies, 

Thank you for your messages. I am so happy for you Rizzer having only 2 lymph nodes affected. That is such a relief for you. Surgery today went well. I was first on the list and was actually back home in my house by 2pm. I was tired having got up at 6pm so quite happy to have a little sleep anyway. Good not to have a drain this time though and good not to spend the night. Debelina, I love the description of the 'water-bed'. That is exactly what my boob was like after the last op. Really weird. I am sorry you still have chemo to go. It is hard work at times but it is doable and there are feeling ok times too. I had FEC-T. Try not to worry about all the side effects described in the forum. Everyone is different and you can get lots to help you with the side effects. The main thing is to make your teams aware of what is going on for you. They have lots of things to help you feel better. Xx

Highlighted

Thanks debelina X So am waiting on actually getting an appointment with an oncologist. Then I think it’s booking in chemo, so you and I might be starting around the same time - me probably a week or so later (guessing). Let us know how you get on Wednesday, won’t you lovely. I just wish I could sleep through the night without waking multiple times, usually sweating. Is anyone else experiencing that? I’m sure it adds to the feeling of shakiness the next day. Glad to see the back of the drain from this op tho’. Apart from your seroma, how is the rest of your op healing? Xx

Highlighted

Hi Lucy Lump I hope you are ok going through your op...…..Its so brilliant that you are getting this out of the way before Christmas...….you deserve a break pet especially since you are also through your chemo too!!!!!!! I have a seroma in my tummy too and I swear when I press one side of my tummy it wobbles like a water bed....it is very crazy Smiley LOL

Rizzerrrrrrrr omg omg only two lymph nodes I am so relieved for you.....of course we don't want any lymph nodes but this is so positive......what's the next stage for you now xxxxxx

Highlighted

Hey Louise, welcome xx

I wish you all the best and a big hug for your next bout of surgery today to get those margins clear. Let us know how you’re doing when you feel up to it. I hope they can drain your seroma as part of the surgery too to give you a bit of relief. Thinking of you. 
I just got back from seeing consultant to discover that of my 13 lymph nodes, 2 were affected. So although no one wants lymph involvement of course, I know it could have been a lot worse. Waiting is sheer hell isn’t it. 

How is everyone else doing today? X

Highlighted

Hi Lovely Ladies, 

Hope you don't mind me joining you. I only realised a couple of days ago this thread was here. I had a lumpectomy and total axillary node clearance on November 18th. I have a big seroma and some pain particularly at night but it is manageable. I have already had my chemo which finished on 18 October. Unfortunately I am back in again tomorrow for more surgery as I found out last Wednesday that the margins were not clear so the surgeon has to clear out a bit more. So planning to have 'breakfast' in a minute to make up for the fact that I can't eat in the morning. Thankfully this time I am only in for the day. Trying to sleep in the hospital last time was not easy and not helped by the fact that for some reason they come round with coffee at 9.15pm! Anyway I am pleased to get this second op out of the way before Christmas. My tree is up and presents are wrapped. Next week writing a few cards. Best wishes, Louise Xx

Highlighted

Hi Charlotte, Rizzer & Shi x

Awwwwww Charlotte I'm so sorry you are here on this forum pet...….I don't know how you must be feeling with your leg but I totally sympathise with your arm......I also had all my lymph nodes out on the 19th and I am only know starting to get used to the feeling......mine's feel like I have horrendous sunburn but only when I wear clothes on my arm or brush it against my side...….I have been sleeping with a pillow that is shaped like a 'V' to try to get some relief......it's def better today than it was during the week......please hang in there and feel free to rant about your family dramas.......this is the place to do it.....and I have had my fair share of drama this week x

Rizzer decoration are now up thank goodness......I am feeling more like a mummy today than I have from my dx on 2nd Oct......it was bliss having those few hours of normality......I hope you are ok tonight x

Highlighted

Omg indeed debelina! Two teeth out and £50 out of pocket. What a rubbish day. I really really hope that Saturday and Sunday turn out much better for you love and that you don’t have much pain from the dentistry to contend with. My kids are getting up so the Xmas decoration process will start soon...have you done yours now?

Hi Charlotte, sorry for the reasons you find yourself here and that you’ve had troubles with your leg. Getting that drained sounds painful. Sad to hear you’re suffering from other worries and troubles on top - sending you a hug. We’re here for a rant if you need one Xxx

Highlighted

OMG OMG OMG to top my day off I have just been informed by my husband that I spent £49.99 on a mediation app I downloaded of iTunes when I was in hospital...…..there was a lady on my ward who bless her had surgery and had to sleep sitting up which meant that she snored really really loudly......well I couldn't sleep because of the noise so I decided to download this meditation app to help me sleep thinking it was free but in my painkiller induced brain fog I didn't realise I signed up for a years subscription......and the best of it is I didn't use it because I promptly fell asleep after downloading it because it took all my energy up looking for it on my phone...……..could my day get any more worse...…. Rizzer please tell me your bad days are now looking a wee bit better compared to mine Smiley LOL

Highlighted

Hi, I’m 2.5 weeks post mastectomy tug flap reconstruction and lymph node clearance. I’m feeling okay my leg is sore as I have had to have excess fluid build up drained and I’m struggling with my underarm. 
Hope everyone post surgery is doing okay. I’m having family dramas and it make me feel worse than the surgery.

charlotte 

Highlighted

Sending you positive thoughts to Rizzer…….our poor babies......thank god we have them to focus on and help us from spending every day in our beds because we can't face anything.....on a plus note to your low mood think of meeeeeeeee…..I went for the recommended dental check up before chemo today and ended up having to have my two back teeth pulled out......I am 43 years old and the only thing the dentist has ever had to do was give me a filling about 10 years ago so not only has cancer ripped away by boob but now its taken two of my teeth too...….seriously I am having the biggest diva night tonight Smiley LOLSmiley LOLSmiley LOL on a serious note I really hope tomorrow is a better day for you xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Highlighted

Sounds like you’ve got a lot to contend with Debelina. Withdrawal must be hard, especially with the new worry about your neck. I can understand why you’re gutted. I hope so much that you can get some reassurance on Wednesday. This isn’t easy is it.... Each new worry/shock/disappointment. 

Good for you putting the Xmas tree up. I plan to do the same for my 9yo. My daughter (2.5) will love it too, of course, but he is clearly struggling seeing his Mum so low and I want to do it for him. I’m thinking of you debelina and hoping the process of doing all the Xmas stuff actually helps lift our spirits a bit. Please let us know how you get on on Wednesday. Sending you lots of love and luck Xxx

Highlighted

Awwwww Shi and Rizzer I hope you are both well x Rizzer I am sad you are feeling down its really really horrible and I hope you will have something positive today even if its only taking a step outside your front door and breathing fresh air deeply xxxx

I am now feeling clear headed and calm without taking my anti anxiety tablets as my oncologist said this would interfere with my treatment and delighted that I have made the decision not to take them and gotten through the withdrawal.

Unfortunately today I got a call from my breast cancer nurse to tell me I have a area of concern on my neck and need to go on Wednesday for an ultra sound...….this was totally unexpected as I didn't realise you had lymph nodes in your neck and I thought that because all my lymph nodes were removed under my arm and only one was cancerous that there was so further cancer spread. Totally gutted but not going to pieces which is good going because I haven't got my medication to fall back on. I'm hoping that maybe my pneumonia has just enlarged the lymph nodes in my neck so that's how I'm going to stay positive until the ultra sound.

Rizzer we are putting our Christmas tree up today......honestly I couldn't give a damn this year and I am the most Christmassy person in our whole family/street/town but my son is 12 and I want to try to keep things as positive as possible for him...…...I wish I could give you some realllllyyyyyyy helpful advice to get you over your hopeless feelings but I understand its something you need to work through yourself but Rizzer your not alone pet xxxxxxx

Highlighted
Community Champion
Community Champion

Rizzer ❤️You are amazing ❤️Everyone on here is amazing, the Breast Cancer Now team is amazing and together we 👭👭 ❤️❤️ Each other always, you are never alone and never will be ❤️ You are doing fantastic even if you don’t think you are Rizzer, you are ❤️ 💕💕Shi xx

Highlighted

Thank you Shi. You’re pretty amazing. This is such a lonely process and to get your post is wonderful. Thanks from the bottom of my heart X 

Highlighted
Community Champion
Community Champion

Rizzer ❤️ Of course your head and emotions are all over the place it’s understandable. Remember you are beautiful and you are amazing ❤️❤️ It’s easy to allow it to take your joy, 👭👭 don’t let it ❤️ See how bright the Christmas lights shine, they shine more bright now, everything will seem super sharpe focus, listen to the dawn chorus and take time to enjoy things that you forget to enjoy, don’t know if I am making any sense but I hope so ❤️ 💕💕Shi xx

Highlighted

How is everyone doing? Been struggling again these last couple of days. I thought I would based on last time a couple of days post-op, but am feeling pretty hopeless and it’s hard to cope with the ramp-up to Xmas that’s all around. Just needed to say it. Love to all X

Highlighted

Rizzer I your body must be recovering really well after your mastectomy if you are home already after more surgery.......I am glad you are home Smiley Happy

My chemo is starting on the 16th or 17th. I am having the FEC-T cocktail with Herceptin & Perjecta. I've been seeing all these letters about chemo and didn't know what it actually meant but now I understand what they mean!

Hope you have a comfortable night x

Highlighted

Hi Debelina 

I’m home now. Thanks to a lot of IV fluids and oxygen I felt a helluva lot better this time round. How was the first chemo appointment? Do you have a plan of sorts? X

Highlighted

Rizzer I hope you are feeling a bit stronger this evening......how long do you need to stay in hospital for?

My scar where my nodes came out is healing beautifully but I can't feel anything under my arm still.....I hope you don't need to wait too long for the results xxxx

Highlighted

Hi all,

went in yesterday at 4pm and had an alright night. How are you doing debelina? X

Highlighted

Thanks debelina. Good luck with yours. Glad to hear it’s not been cancelled X 

Highlighted

Hi Rizzer….my appointment is going ahead...…I will be thinking of you today for your appointment......let us know how you get on x

Highlighted

Glad to hear your head feels clearer debelina and that the new boob is behaving itself! Disruption at the hospital must be unsettling for you. I hope you get to go on Monday or at least very shortly afterwards to get cracking.
Wishing everyone a good rest of weekend X  

Highlighted

Good morning everyone....just checking in to see how everyone is feeling and if anyone needs a rant x

I have had a really tough 2 days but woke up this morning and my head feels a lot more clearer...….I think I held it together to long from my dx and just fell apart so I'm really glad that parts over so that when I fall apart again I know what it is thats happening to me...….I honestly couldn't understand why I felt so crap because my surgery went really well apart from the pneumonia and its been confirmed I am having chemo, targeted and hormone therapy which I am so relieved to be able to get as I know there are so many people (including my dad) who have been told that these treatments simply won't help them but I need to just pick myself up and get strong again for chemo starting.

You know what I have my appointment for my chemo planning on Monday but I think its going to be cancelled because my hospital is having a strike and all outpatient appointments have been cancelled. 

My wound scars are so pink, healthy and juicy looking and my new tummy/boob isn't being rejected by my body so it looks like she's here to stay Smiley Very Happy

Hope you are ok Rizzer and getting reading for Monday......try to be gentle with yourself this weekend xxxx

Highlighted

Thanks for the hug Shi x Certainly appreciated it. Last night was hard. 
Just checking in to see how you’re feeling today Debelina? How is everyone else doing?X

Highlighted

Oh Debelina I’m so sorry to hear that. You’ve been through so much, including pneumonia. It’s a real trauma for the body and it’s totally understandable and not at all surprising once the distraction of pain eases up a little that you feel pretty rubbish mentally. I don’t think it’s always onwards and upwards as far as your feelings are concerned. Some days it just gets overwhelming and that’s totally natural. I felt just the same a couple of days after coming home, hence my post about post-op blues, and I didn’t go thru the sort of lengthy op you did - so I imagine your physical recovery is slower. I know everyone is different, but if it’s any comfort, that desperately sad feeling did pass for me after a few days as my body healed that bit more. 

The prospect of more surgery and tests now looms on Monday, so my head’s definitely gone down since yesterday. Chemo is hanging over you too, when I imagine you’re not feeling like you’ve got your head and body round what’s just happened.  I am thinking of you my forum friend, and wishing you all the best X