November Surgery

I’m going in on 5th November for mastectomy and DIEP reconstruction. I’ve been waiting months for this op and now it’s nearly here I’m getting nervous.
I’m already taking Letrozole and feeling well on it so far. Taking VitD and Calcium too but will have to stop this next week, on request of surgeon. He said I can start again on them post op.
I’m getting my hospital bag ready with post-surgery bras, big knickers, fan (someone told me it gets very hot in hospital, and with my hot flushes I’ll be ready to combust!), scar cream etc. Any tips on things I might need during my stay (in for a week) greatly appreciated.
Good luck to those having surgery too this month, I’ll look forward to comparing ‘notes’ xx

Hi, 

I too was very  nervous just before my op  total breakdown in tears while waiting but had an amazing team of people who looked after me so well  which I am sure you will have too. I did find taking wet wipes and some moisturiser for your face was good, other than that you sound very organised, I too am back in hospital for hopefully my final reconstruction on nipple on the 8th November. I sending you a big hug ? and wish you well. Please feeel free to ask me any question s .

take care

xxxxx

Good luck with your op Jacqui - having just spent 9 days in hospital - some suggestions - Slipper socks are always good to have then you don’t have to root around for your slippers under the bed when you are struggling to bend and shuffle off to the loo a little spray water bottle - yes it’s very hot in hospital and combined with hot flushes - phew …Earplugs - it’s very noisy .Portable charger for your phone if you have one - so you can charge your phone without having to get out of bed and plug it in/ in plug it .All the best .Jill.

Hi Ladies, thanks for all your tips for hospital stay. I should be in for about a week. Counting the days down now, having trouble focussing on anything else at the moment. Fingers crossed it will go well and I get a nice team too. Be in touch again after my op on Monday :heart:

Finally have surgery tomorrow my nerves have really kicked in am frightened of such a long anasthetic.  Just frightened. Don’t want it to be worse than they think. Just scared of it all now.