Oncologist appointment

Hi just received my oncologist appointment for 14 January , can anyone enlighten me on what now happens and what questions I’m supposed to ask ?? Everything feels more real ! Thought I was coping after mastectomy & lmyph node clearance, so pleased to have the support from you lovely ladies xx

I assume you’re having chemo do the oncologist will go through that with you. Tell you the treatment plan, what drugs you’ll be having, how often, go thru likely and possible side effects, get consent forms signed. He’ll also want to check that you’re fully healed before you move on to this.

Prepare to get lots of paperwork and information to read.

Thanks SallyG63 , it’s the waiting thats the hardest , I’ve been reading about different treatment and then start wondering if chemo is really necessary but there’s so much information out there , plus I chose skin sparing mastectomy with temporary implant using mesh & pigs skin my operation was still over 5 hours but I’m sure the other options weren’t open to me for whatever reason but it doesn’t stop me worrying about choices XX hope your coping well , what treatment have you had? Xx

Hi,

I had mastectomy last February with no reconstruction because the option went off the table two days before the op due to the cancer spreading into the skin. Back at work 2 weeks after that for a couple of weeks until I had to go back in in April for a node clearance and a shave of the chest muscle to get good margins. Had chemo from Beginning of June through to 19th October and tomorrow I start radiotherapy. I’m also on the letrozole. I did manage to squeeze in a couple of weeks in Cornwall between 2nd surgery and chemo as well.

I’ve been pretty good. Chemo wasn’t really a problem at all (I arranged it on Fridays so I had a three day weekend and worked the other days). I kept the majority of my hair because I cold capped but unfortunately I’ve lost a ton since starting the letrozole. I’ve done radiotherapy before and it was a doddle so I’m expecting that again. All in all I’m well and there’s no reason to suppose it won’t be the same for you :slight_smile:

Yeah I’ve just had a full node clearance , we’re all different but at least there’s forum like these , I wish you all the best in your journey and hopefully your on the road to recovery ? Xx