Pain & Altered sensation after WLE & SNB

Hello All,

I’m sure this must have been covered before - but I can’t find any relevant threads at the moment. I had WLE & SNB 10 days ago under general anaesthetic. 

Since the local anaesthesia wore off about a week ago, I’ve developed a range of really uncomfortable sensations around and beyond the op sites, in my armpit and radiating down my inner arm towards my elbow. Its a weird combination of numbness, constant burning, stinging & feeling swollen (despite there being no visible swelling/redness etc in the area at all - dressings are still on and all looks clean & tidy apart from a bit of bruising).

Its a separate feeling to the normal soreness I can feel associated with the actual incisions and covers a much larger area & is not relieved by pain killers (codeine/paracetamol) and feels like they must have done some damage to the nerves in that area.

I have my consultant appointment on the 11th to discuss results of the op - obviously I will be bringing it up with him, but I think if he tells me " …it’s a normal consequence of the operation and may take some time/months to settle and let’s see how it goes…" I may have to punch him!!

Nobody warned me about this and it’s going to drive me mad if I have to put up with it for very long on top of everything else - most days by about 5pm I’m beside myself with the pain & discomfort. 

Please has anyone else had anything similar/got any advice on how to manage the sensations or how long it might go on and what I can ask the consultant about. Has anyone found any other method of pain relief they can recommend?? All advice gratefully recieved.

Thanks, KayJay x

KayJay

I remember after my op as the days wore on I experienced discomfort, stabbing pains, tingling, numbness in the op and underarm areas where the scars were.  I did have it down the inside of my arm to my elbow as well but it got better over time, it was the nerves etc healing and settling down.  If you are at all worried you could always give your bcn a call and ask her for peace of mind.

xxx

Thanks ladybowler - that was quick! Do you mind me asking if you remember how long it went on for (weeks/months?) I do plan to get in touch with my BCN and have also emailed the BCC nurses on this site.

Thanks again xx