Post Surgery Aftercare Remedies/Treatments?

Hey!

My mum is going in for her mastectomy and reconstruction next week and I wanted to organise a hamper for her. I was wondering if there’s any creams or oils that anyone recommends for scarring? I was thinking of putting things together such as some socks, a neck cushion or even stuff that helps for when she will have her baths. Any good bath salts or gels? Any ideas that I can put together would be great!

Would appreciate anything! Just wanted to collate some ideas to make her recovery time more easy. Thank you!! :sparkles: :cherry_blossom: :ribbon:

Evie, what a lovely thought.

She’s going to need loose, front fastening tops for a while. Socks are good - cashmere socks even better. In fact, anything cashmere is to be treasured.

One thing that would probably be very welcome is what’s sold as a mastectomy pillow (but look for similar shapes not labelled that way to compare prices). It fits under the arm, stops you rolling over in your sleep but also provides much needed support for that aching arm during the day.

A nice ‘comfort bra’ for sleeping in would also be useful. They can be stepped into and rolled upwards if necessary (I wanted really tight so I opted for an Under Armour sports bra) but you should look for those that have front fastening if possible,

Baths initially will depend on whether she has a waterproof dressing or not. Oils and salts may make the bath a little slippery when she only has one arm/shoulder to help her balance. I tried Epsom Salts and slipped under! So, nice wash-wipes would be appreciated; I liked Aveeno wipes tho they’re hardly a treat. Essential oils will depend on her tastes but lavender (people love it or hate it) has soothing properties. If she can’t have a bath, dry shampoo is useful but she’d need help using it as her arm may well ache a bit.

Creams and oils for scarring is dicey territory. She will get instructions from her breastcare nurse, with suggestions. I stuck with the Aqueous Cream BP I was given in hospital but I had a complete mastectomy. It will be too early to risk things like Bio Oil and rose massage oil. However, I found I went through masses of hand cream after surgery so you can go to town there. How about some scented candles? Out-of-character nail varnish (if someone is there to apply it). Just stuff to lift the spirits.

If your mum is likely to get low-spirited (unpredictable after an anaesthetic and surgery), you might consider a Rescue Remedy spray or pastilles. A lot of people swear by it for alleviating stress. 

You might ring The Haven and ask their advice - they’re great on aftercare and their service is free. Right now, it’s not face to face but that’s an advantage for people who don’t live near to one of their bases. We can do things like EFT for anxiety, meditation, pilates, yoga, tai chi…all online and all free of charge during the pandemic. Just google their site.

Hope something here helps. It’s completely random, I know! I hope it all goes well for her xx

Hi,

I had surgery on Tuesday (Therapeutic Mammoplasty) and was so sick after with the anaesthetic. I have such a sore throat too from the breathing tubes and mouth sores on the inner lip area and on my lips. So, I would recommend some nice lip balm. My feet are really dry from wearing the compression stockings too, so again some nice foot cream. Because the stockings are quite slippery, I’m finding slippers and big fluffy socks a god send.

Get some ice lollies, helped loads with the sore throat after.

Dry shampoo and leave in/spray conditioner may also help.

Good luck to your mum :slightly_smiling_face: x

I had my op last week and did lots of research, it’s a lovely idea making a hamper for your mum. I also got nice hand cream as I found my hands were very dry, also lip balm is a definite! I’ve been using Arnica 30C to help with healing/bruising and taking Bromelain which is supposed to help with inflammation. Having some nice treats in the house to eat and I also love my scented candles too. I bought some luxury body wash for washing the rest of me (Jo Malone) apart from wound area to feel a little special and smell good. I use EFT for post surgery healing and do online hypno for healing after surgery. Hope your mum gets on well with her op!