cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Post surgery check up and results

6 REPLIES 6
sharlea

Re: Post surgery check up and results

Hi Middle C, thanks for your reply and so pleased to hear your test result said no need for chemo. Amazing how personalised this test enables our treatment to be. Wishing you all the best for your oncology appointment, sharlea, xx

sharlea

He Sarah’s, so pleased to hear you had likewise good results.

I have been referred to oncology, which would be in 2-4 weeks, but was also told about genomics testing, to determine whether chemo would be suitable, or not. From the written resort they gave me, the meeting will be about chemo, radiotherapy, anastrazole and bisphosphonates. I would need to agree to the genomics testing, which would then take another couple of weeks. I gather it’s about trying balance the benefits of chemo with the likelihood of recurrence.

It seems a good idea, particularly if chemo was likely not to be of any benefit, as wouldn’t have to go through it. But, on the other hand, if it indicates that chemo would be of benefit and reduce the likelihood of reoccurrence, then better to be forewarned.

maybe, as we had similar results, it has something to do with the size of the tumour, or that this is my second occurrence.

wishing you all the best for your oncology appointment, sharlea, xx

sharlea

Thank you disneyj, and sorry to hear you didn’t get your result when expected. I really hope you get good news on Friday, please let us know. Glad to hear you’ve lost the drain and hope that’s making you feel more comfortable.

yes, the test is to find out if chemo is likely to be suitable. I have to wait some time for the referral to oncology appointment and then, if agree, have the test done which will take another couple of weeks. As you know, it’s the waiting that can be difficult. I think I’m accepting of chemo, if needed, because it will be what’s needed to help get rid of this disease.

it would be great if someone knew the magic formula to remove those pessimistic gremlins, or in my case, the chattering parrots! Best wishes, sharlea, xx

Middle C

Hi sharlea

My consultant ordered an Oncotype test, which profiles the tumour to see if any benefit from chemo.  They only do it in certain situations. There was a good section on this website and the Macmillan one explaining it.  It can take 2 weeks for results to come back. I got my results last week and thankfully was told I won’t need chemo.  So now waiting for oncologist appointment to discuss radiotherapy and hormone therapy. The extra time waiting to hear was hard as you just want to know.  Hope you continue to get good news. x

Sarahx

Hi sharlea,

So pleased you got good news today with clear margins and lymph nodes, such a relief. I had my results today and got the same good results! 

I haven't heard of the genomics testing either, sorry, does that determine your next treatment? I am now waiting for an oncology appointment to plan radiotherapy treatment. 

Sending hugs,

Sarah xx

disneyj

Oh Sharlea I’m so pleased for you that’s fantastic news!!! 97mm and clear margins no spread - amazing and so hopeful! I haven’t heard of genomics testing but it sounds like they’re going to do the Oncotype Dx testing. I believe from what I've read that is sometimes done to help assess whether chemotherapy would be beneficial? Have you tried asking the bcns on here, or your own team bcns for more details?

Sadly I didn’t get my results at clinic today as expected since they weren’t back in time for MDT. 🤞 they’ll be back and considered when I go back to clinic on Friday. I was told it doesn’t necessarily mean anything that they’re not back yet, and several ladies are also waiting. Unfortunately, it doesn’t stop the pessimistic gremlin on my shoulder from catastrophising in the meantime 😔 . I did manage to lose the dreaded drain today though so it wasn’t a wasted journey and wow it’s so nice to ditch the drain!!

Please update once you know more xx

sharlea

Post surgery check up and results

I went for my post surgery check and result this morning. The surgeon decided not to drain my swelling, said it was a seroma with swelling of the skin but should be reabsorbed by the body in time. My wound is healing well too. And the best news, is that, despite having a 97mm invasive cancer, it has not spread to the lymph node as and the margins are clear. Phew! Now just waiting for referral to oncology, to discuss the rest of the treatment. Has anyone else had genomics testing? (Not the same as genetics, they told me a sample of my surgery tissue would be sent to determine possible chemo).