68.5K members
1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Preparing for Double Mastectomy this Friday 11/6/20. What did you do that helped you the most?

3 REPLIES 3
bookish

Re: Preparing for Double Mastectomy this Friday 11/6/20. What did you do that helped you the most?

I'm halfway through a two-stage double, yes - January is the actual mastectomy for me, but had all the 'prep work' (basically a breast reduction!) done in September. Not knowing how to prep was the worst, and trying to figure out info from various online articles. I've had lumpectomies before but this was the first both-sides-at-the-same-time op and I was petrified I'd not be able to do anything at all. But I didn't have any lymph nodes removed this time, so retained a lot more arm movement than I had immediately after the lumpectomies. Not sure how Jan will differ, but I guess I'll find out!

Ooh - big, big tip I forgot: pillows! I have never been okay sleeping on my back and that's almost been the worst of the whole thing, not having an option not to. There's various bits of advice out there on pillow types - v-shape, wedge, 'pregnancy-style' - and if you can figure out how to be semi-comfortable on your back now that'll probably help. Personally I've got about eight normal pillows, and I find one making a small ramp under my back helps with a more sitting-up posture, and one each side to stop me rolling/give me something to lean on.

And as with any op: get yourself something like senacot or fibogel, as the painkillers do not play nicely with your regularity o.O

TLC2019

Re: Preparing for Double Mastectomy this Friday 11/6/20. What did you do that helped you the most?

Thank you so much for replying!!!!  I didn't even think about the cups in the cupboards!!  Good to know.  Totally makes sense.  I have started putting meals in the freezer as well.  I have some coloring books, reading books and moved a tv into my bedroom.  I will start packing my bag tomorrow.  I'm always cold (especially that I'm off Tamoxifen and don't have those hotflashes anymore).  🙂  How are you doing?  Did you have a double mastectomy?  It sounds like you are having more surgery?

bookish

I was the same before my op with the frantic cleaning, and also stocked up the freezer with a lot of pre-prepared meals (and/or ready meals in the fridge). I was packed about 2 weeks in advance, so I didn't have a mad panic that I'd forgotten something! 

Advice I got but didn't need this time 'round (prob come Jan and next one, though!) was to make sure stuff like cups, glasses, etc were left out easy to grab as there'd be no reaching up into cupboards.

Make sure you've got tons of nice telly, books, etc lined up for yourself to look forward to during recovery.

Oh, and I think I had about 4 baths the week before my op knowing I wouldn't be able to for quite some time again.

Sending you loads of luck for Friday! xx

TLC2019

Preparing for Double Mastectomy this Friday 11/6/20. What did you do that helped you the most?

Hello.  I will be having a double mastectomy with the start of reconstruction (tissue expanders) in 6 days.  I was wonder what helped you guys the most when preparing for this time?  I have my meds already and organized a bin with dressings, tape, etc.  I'm cleaning the house as much as possible because I will rest easier if it's in decent shape.  🙂  I would love to hear from you.  Thank you.