Preparing for surgery

Hi 
I have my surgery in 9 days & wondered if others reduced contact and going out to mitigate any risk of picking up a cold, cough or something else they may result in surgery being cancelled? I want to be careful but not sure if I am just being paranoid? 

Thanks x

It seems sensible to try and avoid Covid before your op , I don’t think they would be too bothered by you having a cold . I’m not sure what the guidelines are right now but last year at my hospital they did a Covid test 2 days before op then told you to isolate . Has the hospital not given you any advice ?

Hi, I had my surgery on Monday, and at my hospital if you have a procedure where you stay overnight, they book you in for a PCR test 72 hours before surgery (if it’s a day procedure then they ask for a lateral flow test). As I stayed overnight I had a PCR the Friday before the surgery and was told to self-isolate until surgery (then at the time of admission they did a lateral flow test, and another PCR test post admission - they were super cautious). Personally I took added precautions the 2 weeks before not going into crowded areas, and wearing a mask when going into shops and other indoor spaces (wasn’t asked to do this, just did it because I didn’t want anything to interfere with my planned surgery).

xx

Hi, at my pre op appointment I was asked not to go gallivanting about. If only, huh?

Seriously, I didn’t completely avoid people but I was careful. I wore a mask if I went to the supermarket and had limited contact.  I did a test the day before surgery (my hospital phoned to check) and then I had another test at hospital on the day of the surgery. 

Hi 

I would check with your hospital as it sounds like things vary from hospital to hospital. I too like the others took care so that I reduced my risk of catching anything, but I didn’t have to have any covid tests done before my surgery and I stayed in overnight.  Always best to check what you hospital procedure is x