Did you mean: 

Problematic seroma

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted

Re: Problematic seroma

Yes, I hope I will be👌. Good luck for the 14th for you to. 😊

Highlighted

Hi Carmen hopefully by the 14th you’re Seroma free! I’ve read lots of information and got plenty of questions to ask just like you, but remembering them on the day is another matter so I’ll write mine down this time. Good to hear you’ve had a massage and feeling more relaxed about everything. We have to face what’s ahead unfortunately so once we start on treatment we’ll be part way through getting our lives back! Good luck on 14th And I’ll post when I get my treatment plan it may be similar.  stay positive 👍💕💕

Highlighted

Spoiler

Thanks Charlotte, I had my seroma aspirated again today, which doesn’t hurt as the area is still numb. They took less than half the amount than last week so it’s moving  in the right direction. I also had a lovely massage today which made me feel much better, so feeling calmer about things all round. I am new to using forums but I will look for the September chemotherapy thread, thanks for the tip. 
 We both have appointments on the 14th. Once I wrote out a whole list of questions and left it at home, so I’ll write them on my phone this time.

🌷🌻
Highlighted

Hi Carmen

it sounds like you’re a week or two in front of me. I go back to my surgeon on 14th for results ( he’s been on holiday) so all delayed. Great that you managed to get a Tai chi class in you must be starting to feel more confident after surgery. I’m doing my exercises religiously trying to get as much arm range as possible before chemo because I know I won’t have the energy once it starts.  It’s good you’ve got a start week for treatment you’ll have to post on the September chemo thread, I probably will once I get my treatment dates etc. Some of the info related to the first chemo is quite useful. I agree all the waiting around for results is hard but at least we’re on our way to recovery. I hope everything goes ok for w/c 14th and your dental appointment is brief 🙂 💕💕

Highlighted

Thanks Charlotte, maybe I got it wrong about a seroma delaying chemo, I had a telephone consultation with the oncologist, and was given so much information I may well have got confused. I’m starting chemo week beginning 14/9/2020, unless I need any dental work first, ( I do hope not?), because I will have  drug to protect my bones, too. 

Good news that you didn’t develop a seroma. My surgery was 4 weeks ago and I managed a tai chi class today and I’m trying to do my arm exercises every day.

I think the waiting, for results and appointments is the worst thing. But I have found the Breast Cancer Care Helpline fantastic.

Good luck with it all! 😊

Highlighted

Hi carmen Verandah (love the name :))

I’ve not had a seroma but did panic after the drain was removed 2 weeks ago after axillary clearance. Your description of how it’s caused is good though I’m sure many will find that useful. I didn’t realise it could prevent chemo starting, do you have a date for chemo. I’m not due back to see my surgeon for another 2 weeks to get my treatment plan. Hope your seroma  heals and you’re good to start your next journey. Take care 👍💕

Highlighted

Problematic seroma

After my axillary node clearance, nobody warned me that I might develop a seroma about 9 days later, 5 days after my drain was  removed. I hated the drain, but I don’t much like the seroma which  I’ve had aspirated twice so far. I’ve started antibiotics I had been prescribed ‘in case’ because it became red and angry looking. But maybe I just panicked. I rang a friend of a friend who is a lymphoedema nurse, who was  the first person to explain to me what the seroma actually is and why it happens: severed lymphatic vessels continue to drain  lymphatic fluid into the space where the nodes were, before they were cut out. Apparently the severed ends of the very fine lymph vessels eventually seal off and new vessels form to bridge the gap,  and until this happens lymphatic fluid continues to flow into the space forming a seroma. I was told that it can be counter-productive to keep aspirating as the seroma can  continue to fill up and there is a risk of infection each time. Overtime they reduce in size and the fluid is absorbed into the surrounding tissue. I think this is an accurate account of what I was told over the phone. The BCN was reluctant to aspirate mine a third time but then told me to come back if it was too uncomfortable, which is a bit contradictory. Has anyone experienced an uncomfortable seroma, or had one aspirated, and how long did it go on for? The oncologist said it would need to have settled before I start my chemo so I am a bit anxious. To be honest I’m anxious about everything now.