Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pros, cons and experiences of implant reconstruction vs none

6 REPLIES 6
Feenix

Re: Pros, cons and experiences of implant reconstruction vs none

Thanks for sharing DJD.

I have read, in the bumpf given to me today, that often women decide not to go down the recon road after living post mx as they find it’s not as bad as first feared. I tell myself that I’m still female no matter whether I have 1 or 2 breasts. I like that you have invested in good bras and swimwear which must make a difference. 

I am not keen on major surgery but it’s good to know that recon can be thought about at a later date when there is less stress and pressure.

Xx

Feenix

Thanks for replying Evie.

It’s interesting that you say some implants don’t have to be replaced.  It’s good that you are happy with the results your implant has given you. I’m wading through reading material as I had an appointment with surgeon/bcn today.  I’ll certainly ask questions if I need to ... thanks for the offer. 

Feenix 

xx

DJD

Hi Feenix - so many options and it's such a personal decision.  But thought I'd tell you where I'm at. 

I had a right-side mastectomy Feb 2017.  I was told by my surgeon that as I would also be having radiotherapy immediate recon wasn't an option.  I was given a silicone prothesis.  At my follow-up appt a year later, recon options were discussed.  I took the booklets home and had a good read andweighed up the pros & cons. 

Pros:  (i) a matching pair.  (ii)  saggy real one gets 'face lift'  (iii) can wear anything  (iv)  confidence boosting

Con:   (i)  substantial surgery  (ii) normal life on temp hold while healing  (iii) second site with scarring

(iv) possibility of complications 

I decided to stick to the status quo, as after more than a year living with only one, i realised that it's no where near as bad as you may imagine. I've invested in some quality mastectomy bras and swimming costumes, so that, when dressed, I look no different to how I've looked in my recent years - I'm 60, so my cleavage flashing days were over before my diagnosis.  My scar joins with an earlier SNB scar, so is very long and into my armpit but is now just a very neat line.  It doesn't upset me to see it, in fact in some ways, it is a bit of a badge of honour - I HAD breast cancer.   

My surgeon tells me that should I change my mind, I just have to call her, which is nice to know, but don't think I'll be beating a path to her door any day soon.

This is, of course, my personal choice and I know from this forum that many people opt for recon and are very happy with their results.

Evie-S
Community Champion

Hi Feenix

First of all a big hug as you make your decision - as you say it's a very personal one, there is no right or wrong.

I had an implant about a year ago. I knew I wanted some form of reconstruction. I didn't have enough tissue for a flap so an implant was my only option, but I was glad about that as I wanted the shortest possible recovery time.

My implant doesn't match my real one, but I'm not very bothered by that.

I was also told that I won't necessarily have to have my implant replaced in the future - some have to be, some don't.

I wish you all the best as you look at your choices and I'm more than happy to chat or answer any further questions if I can help.

Evie xx

Feenix

Thanks Emily

I’ll do that.

EmilyA_BCN

Hi Feenix

It's Emily here from Breast Cancer Care.

While you're waiting for responses on here, I wanted to let you know that we have two email volunteers who are a similar age to you who made this choice. You'd be very welcome to email them to hear their perspective of the pros and cons of their decisions.

Annie was 64 when she decided to have an implant: annie@breastcancercare.org.uk

Veronica is in her 70s and decided not to have reconstrcution: veronica@breastcancercare.org.uk

Wishing you all the best in the meantime.

Emily at Breast Cancer Care

Feenix

Pros, cons and experiences of implant reconstruction vs none

Hi all. I’ve had welcome input regarding decisions about recon vs none. I’m definitely not for flap recon and I’m not keen on an implant as I’m not sure how it will look or feel but I’m conscious of the need for replacement and I’d be well into my 70’s then. I do lean towards not having recon at all as I want to minimise surgery now and in the future. I’m not sure how I will feel post op with either choice. 

My question is about the pros and cons of having implant recon, have you ‘bonded’ with your implant ..... the same with your non reconstructed side.

I know decisions are personal but your experiences post op would be most welcome.

xx