Recon choices? Latflap or Diepp? Will a Lat Flap greatly affect my back strength?"

Hello 

I was diagnosed with TPNBC at 34 years old, in November 2020. I have my 6th and last chemo tomorrow. I met my surgeon yesterday and I need a left mastectomy. I’m opting to have reconstruction at the same time and have whittled down my choices to either lat flap from my back or diep flap from my tummy. I’ve discussed pros and cons with him, and read online until my eyes hurt! :slightly_smiling_face: just wondered if people can give me first hand experience of either op and or what swayed their decision. I’m considering recovery times swaying me towards the back, but more natural look from tummy. I just don’t know how to decide. My friend who owns a gym also said to consider the lack of strength in my back / shoulder, does this limit people doing anything etc? Grateful for any relevant comments of experience or from physios to discuss recovery process and outcomes etc. 

Thank you all

HI @Jo87

A very warm welcome to this lovely Forum. Sorry you’re here, darlin’, and especially at your young age too.

Self tissue recon wise, I was offered a Lat Flap - had no other spare flesh being slender, but also only requiring a small size 34B’ish boob replacement size.

I opted for “implant” to reduce extra scarring, healing time, risk of infection. Plus implants are more natural looking than the “plonked on” look they used to be. The other reason, more pertinent to your question, was that of the Latissimus Dorsi muscle being one of my “strongest” muscles, again with me being slim, used for regular 3x week swimming, and wearing rucksacks for hiking - didn’t want possible chaffing to scars.

I wasn’t using the Forum back then (2006/07), so had/have no direct insight into whether people HAVE found a Latflap to actually" impair" their physical activities much or not? I just made my own judgement. So I hope you get more responses from those who’ve directly experienced both Lat flap and Diepp tummy recon.

Can I just ask you something? You mentioned Diepp giving a more natural look, but that a Lat Flap would be less healing time?? Why is that? I would have thought both equally as long as each other? Both areas required equally as much by everyday body movement, I’d have thought.

I wonder, Jo, if your thread may give you better responses if you perhaps changed the title to something more specific/targeted, such as: Recon choices? Latflap or Diepp? Will a Lat Flap greatly affect my back strength?". You’re then stating your other choice/considerations of Diepp in your text. It’s just a suggestion, lovey. Or place another post as well as this one (there’s no limit) specifically for Lat Flappers views on reduced strength. “Has your Lat Flap greatly reduced your back strength”?  But you could just see how it goes, response wise. 

I soo hope all goes well for and with you, Jo, in whatever you choose. And that you now stay and keep well.    Delly xXx