Reconstruction and Coronavirus

Hi Ladies,

I do hope you are all coping well in this current pandemic. It feels very surreal.

I feel almost a little ashamed even posing this question, because I was successfully treated for stage 2 breast cancer in 2018-2019. It was triple positive, and I had chemo, followed by a mastectomy of  my left breast in October 2018, then radiation, and three weekly Herceptin til June 2019. I have been taking Tamoxifen since November 2018.

I have had one annual mammogram in May 2019, which was clear, thank goodness. I am due to have one next month, but my breast cancer nurse says this will be postponed until after the Coronavirus pandemic. That in itself unsettles me, but I do understand.

My question is as follows. Out of all my treatment, the mastectomy was the biggest issue for me. I was very traumatised at the thought of losing my breast. I pleaded to have an implant at the same time, but the surgeon refused because of the subsequent radiotherapy. I have literally been counting the months til I could have my reconstruction. It should have been at the end of this month. I am sixth on the waiting list, and the new surgeon carries out six per month, and he was going to start surgeries at the beginning of April. The appointment to meet him in early March was cancelled, and all reconstructions have been cancelled currently.

Does anyone know if, once this is all over, the NHS will carry out reconstructions again? I am so worried, as my boss said she was not surprised that my appointment was cancelled as the reconstruction was ’ not essential’. But, psychologically, to me , it is. Any thoughts?

Stay safe all.

Jane xxx

Hi it’s not wrong to feel disappointed and frustrated , it’s something that’s very important to you .Many many procedures and treatments have been cancelled on a temporary basis to reduce the numbers of people in hospital at the present time so lots of people feeling like you .it doesn’t mean that those treatments /surgeries are not important physically or psychologically .Its frustrating and disappointing but I’m sure these things will be rescheduled but with a bit of a backlog we may all have to be patient :frowning_face: