Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reconstruction with silicone implants & mesh

7 REPLIES 7
Spu1

Re: Reconstruction with silicone implants & mesh

Dear Mo,

Thank you much for sharing your experience with me, particularly the part about the length of time it took which I’d definitely have to factor in. I’m also pleased to read that you’re happy with it second time around which is excellent news. Best wishes, Spu x

BluebellTime

Hi spu1, sorry I cannot help with your specific query either, but I've had one implant with mesh, mine is under the muscle so not sure what difference that makes. I always wanted a recon, implant was my only option, and i had that with a mastectomy in 2014. The first implant always felt a bit too big and uncomfortable and a year later my surgeon agreed to replace it with a smaller round one which is a lot better and I am very happy with it. Naked, it does not look quite the same or move the same as my natural breast, but in bra or swimsuit you cannot see any difference. Just for info, the exchange op was GA, but an easy job (so she said!) about 40 mins i think, and recovery was quick and easy. My surgeon also said it is not automatic that implants need replacing, many never do. I went on to have a nipple recon which was about 20 mins  with just local anaesthetic and later a nurse did a tattoo and it looks good. Please feel free to ask if I can help any further and very best wishes for whatever you decide. Love Mo x

Evie-S
Community Champion

Thank you so much for your lovely message and very kind wishes, I’m glad I could help. I wish you all the very best for your treatment and for the speediest possible recovery. Big hugs coming your way. Evie xx

Spu1

Hello Evie,

Thank you so much for this detailed reply, it really, really helps. Thank you also for being honest about how it looks too & also that you’re happy with it which is the most important outcome. It sounds like the same option as they’re giving me so it’s great to hear you had a good experience of this. I completely understand why you wanted the quickest recovery - that’s actually the same as me. I get bored real quick & hate missing out on anything! Despite being disabled, I’ve never been on extended sick leave in a long career! I wish you luck & a happy life, thank you so much! 

Evie-S
Community Champion

Of course, I'm very happy to answer anything if I can, so ask whatever you like. It's really important to get as much information as you can to help you make the right decision.

I have a single implant, it's on top of the muscle ("pre-pectoral") and sits in a sort of sling, called Braxon (in case you want to google for more info). I had it done at the same time as my mastectomy about 3 years ago. I had radiotherapy afterwards.

I'll be honest with you and tell you that mine doesn't quite match my real one, the implant is more rounded and slightly bigger, but I'm not interested in more surgery to even things up and I'm now used to it and happy with it. I chose an implant as I didn't want to be flat, and I also wanted the quickest recovery - but it is a very personal decision and everyone has different priorities and lots of people are very happy to be flat. There are lots of threads and support groups for people choosing that option. It's totally ok to be vain too - it's really important that you are honest with yourself, which you have been. Surgeons will understand that too.

I don't know how long implants last - I don't remember being told anything about having it replaced, and from what I have read the answer isn't clear. I've read some articles/chats saying that they may never need replacing and some saying they only last a fixed time. That would be a good question for your consultant/surgeon.

In fact, it's a good idea to write down a list of questions for your surgeon so you don't miss any. Also see if you can ask him/her if they have any photos of what implants look like to give you a better idea.

I don't know if I have helped at all, but please feel free to come back with as many questions as you want, any time, I mean that. xx

Spu1

Hey, thank you so much for responding, that’s super nice of you. I guess I’d like to know a bit more about how you find your implant (or implants) & how you found the experience of getting one (or double).

I’m wondering whether I should be committing myself to further future surgeries when ideally I shouldn’t be having GA’s & if my body might reject the implant (s?) I have to be honest & say I’m vain but if the implants cause me issues, then I’m thinking I could do without the hassle! If you can help me, that’s great! 

Evie-S
Community Champion

Hi Spu1 - I'm afraid I can't offer any advice on your specific question but I didn't want to read and go by without sending you a big hug and wishing you all the very best as you go through treatment. I hope someone else will be able to help you. I had an implant and mesh so can answer any questions on that part should you have any.

Evie xx

Spu1

Reconstruction with silicone implants & mesh

Hi,

I realise that this is a really long shot but I wondered if there was anyone out there who might have been through a mastectomy procedure and then an immediate reconstruction with silicone implants - and who happens to have the disability spina bifida? Or who has reduced lung function which means that for major surgery they need to be on a ventilator and for sometime afterwards? My disability is making relatively straightforward breast cancer treatment fairly complicated. I have one other friend with spina bifida who was successfully treated with breast cancer but hers was a different type and grade, and she didn’t have a mastectomy. Many thanks for trying to help.