cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recuperation

16 REPLIES 16
delly

Re: Recuperation

@Itiswhatitis - Ha ha, what else could we add to it?.......... installing a pair of flashing nipples perhaps? d'you think, hey ?? 

More seriously though, and I think a lot of/most other women on here would agree, I found the "physical" bodily healing and recuperation relatively easy. It's mental effects afterwards, however? Those can be more difficult to deal/cope with and are longer lasting. 

x❤️x

Itiswhatitis

@delly I’m quite looking forward to getting a real prosthesis 😊

💕

delly

@Itiswhatitis  - Yeh exercises. Just keep "gently" pushing more each time. It's amazing how quickly your range of movement increases. And the difference a decent prosthesis makes, other than your "softie".   x❤️x

Itiswhatitis

Ha ha Delly,

I like it ‘babes in the bra’, should go well with my tiara.

Now I have had a sneak preview I think I will be okay when the time comes to give up the dressing. You hit the nail on the head when you say you make a point of not standing topless in front of a mirror. That was one of the many factors that made me know I didn’t want a reconstruction. I never used to wander around naked or stand in front of a mirror looking at my boobs before the mastectomy so why would I need to afterwards. When I go out I wear my prosthesis and no one is any the wiser. When I’m at home who cares. My husband is supportive of my choice and my 13 year old has no idea I have one less boob with or without my softie.

Today has been a good day and I am making the most of being off work and doing nothing apart from my exercises.

One thing is for sure there is no let up once diagnosed - I have now received my physio appointment for next week (via video 😀) and appointment with my consultant the week after, probably get my results then 😬.

I also bought some aqueous cream to start massaging my arm, oh the joys.

Take care Delly 💕

Diane

delly

@Itiswhatitis - Hi Diane.  Thank you soo much for your lovely email, darlin.

Mmm, Yeh, am with soo with you on the shock and upset of seeing your scar and loss. At my time of, we were in hospital for about 5 days. Thought I'd be brave and took myself off to have a look in the ward bathroom mirror, that same night of the op. Un buttoned my pj top, and fell to my knees. Always been a tough cookie, and not usually prone to such dramaticism, but fffflip. And that was with the dressing still on! But..... got more used to it, given time.  Even more so, once I'd been fitted up with a good looking prosthesis and bras.

Is why I'm always pro immediate recon, if it's offered and possible that is. Doesn't affect all women the same, but I knew it would affect me badly. Was even worse, with the second, not even a year later. But again, that much better when fitted up with decent falsies, and had loaded the "babes in the bra" on. I make a point of not standing topless in front of a mirror though.

So hard, tough isn't it. Does get easier, after the initial shock. 

Lots of love to you,  Delly  x❤️x   

Itiswhatitis

Hi Delly

Thanks for remembering.

The dressing was removed and the nurse was really pleased with how it is healing.

To me it still feels sore and bruised and I felt like it still needed some protection so she was happy to put another one on for me.

I have to admit seeing the wound was a bit of a shock. As neat as it seems I was surprised at the length of it and somehow it seemed more obvious that my boob was missing. Certainly nicer looking at a dressing so I am happy it is still covered up. I can prepare myself for the dressing being removed permanently as I don’t think I gave it enough thought beforehand.

l don’t need to go back I can remove it myself and she did give me another one in case I’m still not ready to leave it uncovered.

I now have the more advanced exercises to do which are more challenging than the first set but I’m sure they’ll get easier. In fact I think I noticed a bit of a difference after 1 day of doing them - or is that just wishful thinking 🤔 🙂

Have a good day Delly and all you other ladies too 💕

Diane

delly

Hi again, itiswhatitis/Diane

Have you now had your dressing removed? If so, is it feeling any better for you?? x❤️x

delly

@Itiswhatitis  - Aww Diane, Thank You, but you are sooo blummin welcome, sweetheart. It's all FREE, but sooo seeeriously wholeheartedly felt. I "hate" hearing of any other women having to go through this ffflippin (polite "F" word!) c**p disease.

That's great on your exercise attitude. Loving it. Keep it up, girl.

As far as being "chauffeured", during your "forced" resting period from driving, how about getting yourself a flashing diamante tiara and practicing royalty type waves!! 😉 Mind you, you might get TOO used to it ! 

Much love  x❤️x  

Itiswhatitis

Hi Delly

I too am doing the exercises religiously and more than the suggested 3/4 times a day. I so do not want to have any lasting issues with my arm or chest and like you say there isn’t anything else to do whilst recovering. 

I have accepted driving is a no no and in reality there isn’t really anywhere I need to be anyway, apart from my hospital appointment(s) and actually it’s quite nice being driven around for a change.

I’m looking forward to the dressing coming off on Tuesday as I think (hope) that is contributing to some of the tightness I am feeling but only time will tell. 

It was lovely to hear from you again Delly and inspiring that you are here for us newcomers having gone through this yourself a massive 15 years ago.

Big hugs, 
Diane

delly

Hi again Lovely Ladies

@Itiswhatitis  - Diane, I've just been reading back through your posts, and it further jogged my memory, ref driving. It being such a long time ago now, from my Masts and full node clearances 2006 and 07.  I can remember my BCN saying best not to drive for 3 weeks after, and it also being the advised time stated in the info leaflets given. Both from a protecting the delicate scar and healing angle, and insurance angle ref "mobility" wise, plus effects of anaesthetic sometimes having a lingering effect. Yeh, I too can remember being uncomfortable in a seatbelt as a passenger, over my mast scars.

I'm really pleased to hear you are doing so well after a week. I physically bounced back, really well too afterwards, both healing and movement wise. But I was "religious" with my exercises, and I think that was a huge part of why. So I can't stress the importance of that enough to you. Do them as often as you can. I did them MORE often than the physio's recommendations (didn't have an awful lot else to do at that time, so why not), because I was so intent to get my arm, chest and shoulder movements back to norm as soon as possible. Obviously not "over"-stretching too much at first, and not over-doing, so as not to damage and pull on the wound. But just gently "pushing" the movement a little bit further each day. Especially to avoid any "chording". Be strict with yourself about them. They make a huge difference. Can't tell yer enough.

Am soo wishing you well in your speedy recovery, and your future, Diane, darlin.

Lots of love to you and everyone else on here,  Delly x❤️x   

Itiswhatitis

Hi adoptedmanc

Thank you for your reply it is really helpful. I think I will probably have the same underarm pain as 4 days post op I have a little bit now from time to time and my chest feels really tight - probably due to the anaesthetic wearing off. I think I will avoid long car journeys and hold off driving for 3 weeks at least. 

I have an appointment on Tuesday (1 week post op) to have my dressing removed. It’s a 14 mile drive so not too far so hopefully it won’t be too bad.

How long ago was your op if you don’t mind me asking? Are you fully ‘recovered’ now?

Best wishes

Diane

adoptedmanc

I can relate: I was very lucky in my post operative recovery, quick and no complications. I did do a very short (“emergency”) test drive around 2 weeks after but found my SND wound under my left arm really pulled and hurt in ways it wasn’t doing when not driving! I left it another 4 weeks, but didn’t “need” to drive. 
Incidentally I actually found my breast wound was most uncomfortable after a long car journey (as a passenger) at 2 weeks 

xx

Itiswhatitis

Thanks Delly, much appreciated.

Just keen to get back to normal and put this episode behind me.  Guess I’m not a very patient patient. 😊

Thanks again.

Diane 

Itiswhatitis

Hi Jill 

Thank you for this reply I thought I’d read something about 3 weeks somewhere but I couldn’t remember which site - I have been on so many since my initial call back letter, despite trying not to. 

I will give it a few weeks, just not use to being chauffeured around.

Thanks again.

Jill1998
Community Champion

Think it’s very personal and depends on how you feel and how you recover - best get proper advice from your surgeon - once they’ve advised you are ok to drive should be no issue with insurance company if you did have an accident .

this is advice from NHS website 

“Get advice from your doctor or nurse about when to start driving. Generally, you should be OK to drive if you can make an emergency stop without discomfort in the wound.

Some people are able to drive about 3 weeks after the operation, but it may be sooner or later than this depending on how you feel.

Some insurance companies will not insure drivers for a number of weeks after surgery, so you may want to check your policy.”

delly

Hi again isitwasitis

That's fantastic to hear you are doing and feeling so WELL, and so soon following your op. BRILL.

I can understand you're "itching" to get back to driving as soon as poss. But bare and keep in mind that there will be insurance implications. Strongly suggest you check out the recommended advice around it again, with your BCN, surgeon, team, before you do. Better to be on the safer side, that get back to it too soon, should anything untoward happen, hey?

Lots of love and speedy healing/recovery wishes to you,  Delly x❤️x

Itiswhatitis

Recuperation

Hello 

Well, following my High Grade DCIS diagnosis I had my mastectomy and SLN Biopsy surgery this morning. I am now home in bed not feeling as though I have just had an operation. At worse I feel tired but other than that, nothing. I am having paracetamol regularly to make sure I don’t get unmanageable pain, so all in all I just feel happy the disease is out.

My hope now is that the 3 sentinel lymph nodes that they have removed show no sign of invasive cancer. This wait, for up to 4 weeks, is what will prey on my mind during the day and keep me awake at night. 

One question I do have is when should I be able to drive. To be honest I feel as though I could drive now, but obviously I won’t and know that would be wrong, but I do wonder how early others have started to drive again as 4-6 weeks seems a bit excessive.

In the meantime, for now I hope my positive post will help others out there waiting to start this step of their journey.

Hugs from me to all

Diane