1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SURGERY APRIL 2018

Trishy

Re: SURGERY APRIL 2018

Lovely to be made to feel so welcome ladies.  

Hi Kitkat yes you must not overdo it.  My results are on the 23rd for results and i have only been using paracetamol for the pain but i haven't taken any today trying to do without it.  

It seems a few of us have had ops last week.  A friend i know who has been through this had her nodes checked whilst in surgery Harlow hospital so she was told immediately after op her results... Not so lucky at mine have to wait...  Been out with the dog and the kids in the lovely fresh air.  Happy Sunday everyone.x

Trishy

Lovely to be made to feel so welcome ladies.  

Hi Kitkat yes you must not overdo it.  My results are on the 23rd for results and i have only been using paracetamol for the pain but i haven't taken any today trying to do without it.  

It seems a few of us have had ops last week.  A friend i know who has been through this had her nodes checked whilst in surgery Harlow hospital so she was told immediately after op.  Not so lucky at mine have to wait...  Been out with the dog and the kids in the lovely fresh air.  Happy Sunday everyone.x

AnnaKarenina

Thank you so much everyone. I am packed, but not exactly raring to go! I have had a lovely weekend though and feel as ready as I can be for tomorrow. I am thinking of everyone at various stages of healing and waiting for results and, of course, those anticipating surgery. Together we've got this thing! xx

Feenix

Kitkayt23

yes.. on a countdown. Plan to do housework etc before Thursday ... chilling today though.

hope you’re all doing ok xx

Daisiemoo

Hello Trisha I also had my surgery Tuesday - masectomy and SNB had to have another op Wednesday due to a heamatoma and home on Thursday. ( I am lucky I am going private via my employment Bupa hence this 2nd op went ahead otherwise I think not).

Will find out my results on the 24th and hopefully nothing else found and can discuss reconstruction. 

Post Surgery

I am still on paracetamol every 4 hrs or so but have now cut ibuprofen to evening only, I am more tight sore than anything else.

Doing my exercises 3 x a day both what was given at the hosptial but also the sheet on here for week one and will then step up to the week 2 ones on Wednesday.

Walking the dog 2x day approx 30mins each although this morning went out for an hour as it was nice, then a sit down with a cuppa.

Have removed my stockings as walking the dog, I feel my exercise is ok to not be a problem without them also I was itching at the top.

My dressing is to stay on until I see the surgeon on the 24th and although waterproof it came away a bit today so will need to be careful in the shower, having no problem washing my hair use it as part of my exercises.

How is everyone else getting on as it would be good to know if I am doing to little to much although I know we all react differently to anesthetic.

Have a good Sunday everyone xx

WhyteFawn

Hi KitKat. I had decided pre op that I wanted to look at my scar as soon as possible after the op. I didn't have any dressings so it was only covered with steristrips. It was a surprise but I'm glad I did it when I did. Now my scar is totally healed but still like a red line which will go down over time. I'm totally fine with it. I'm alive and I'm doing all the stuff I love. Who needs 2 boobs anyway!! I go out mostly without a false boob on. Usually because I can't be bothered but I know everyone is different.
Gill3105
Community Champion

Hi Trishy. Had my op Tuesday and doing well. I have the odd wobbly moment more a wuzzy head then it goes. I have more discomfort under the arm than in my boob which is still pretty numb and now a lovely shade of yellow with a tinge of turquoise. Having my dressing checked tomorrow and think maybe the under arm one may come off which I think would help. Darent take off myself as still pretty much intact. Try not to surf the net to much and try and park the phone/I-pad (she says). Mine phone seems to be super glued to my hand recently and the new week for me is Park it!!! Watch this space. Yes anxious about my results and have to say mornings are not much better than they were 2 weeks ago but once I have gave myself a kick up the bum I am fine. We wouldn’t be normal if we weren’t anxious. I spoke to my bcn on Friday as felt I had been dealt a death sentence again I am thinking I am not the only person to have had these thought. So with this thought in my head that wouldn’t go away I decided to ring my bcn. Felt guilty, felt as if I was wasting her time, but I made the call. A good ole chin wag with her and the positivity crept back. And of course needless to say she told me never to feel guilty. Oh I am rambling here but hope my thoughts and experience will help somebody else just a tiny tiny bit then the ramble is worth it. Take care all and trishy the pain will ease just keep doing your excercises. Take a paracetamol I do but only one normal one not one I have been prescribed as a bit strong. Fingers crossed for your results. Another thing to be aware of but may not happen to you is tummy ache on day 4. By day 5 all ok it was the blue dye as I noticed when going to the loo!!!! Pardon the pun blue poo!!! Have to smile. Take care and hope my ramble helps a little. And your not gate-crashing at all.
ladybowler
Community Champion

Trishy

Hello and welcome, good to hear that you are the other side of surgery.  You are absolutely not gatecrashing there are lots of lovely ladies on here who will be able to give you help and support.

It is quite normal to have pain after your surgery as everything is starting to heal and you are only a few days past surgery.  Are you still taking pain relief as that should help.  You are probably still feeling the effects of the aneasthetic as well

Yep absolutely stay away from Dr Google, he is not up to date and misinformed. 

Sending you hugs and if you want to let us know how you get on

Helena xx

Kitkat23

Hi Trishy

Glad you’ve posted....the more tthe merrier!

i had my op Monday 9th (mastectomy n SNLB) still having to take co codamol for pain.... thought I was fine yesterday so did some washing, tidying round and only took paras woke up this morning and had to be helped to sit up.... so lesson learned... just going to chill today!

have you got a date for results.... mine is 25th but some of ladies on here are only waiting a week for their results.

xx

ANNA! - been thinking about you today... expect you’re thinking all the same things I was last week.

i will be thinking about you loads tomorrow, sending positive vibes... one more sleep and it will all be done.

youve done so much already just to get here.

Big hug x x x

DAISYMOO & GILL - hope you both having a relaxing Sunday !, x x

FEENIX - imagine you are on your countdown now, hope up ok?

WHYTEFAWN - am I ok to ask what is was like when you looked at mx scar first time? And how your scars are now several weeks on?. I have previously had x 2 WLEs and both those scars faded to nothing really over the years.

happy Sunday everyone x x

Trishy

Hello lovely ladies

I posted in newly diagnosed a couple of weeks ago and just seen this thread.  Sorry to gatecrash... Had my op Thursday WLE and was quick to recover after anesthetic (had quite a few different gyne ops in the past) Is it normal to have quite a lot of pain a couple of days after? Feeling quite wobbly today, i must stay away from the internet looking up about celebrities etc... with BC.  I am worried about the nodes results i had to have FISH testing for the HER2 as it came back borderline and when i asked the nurse for the results she said it has come back negative which i was obviously happy about but she replied let's  just wait and see what the MDT say.  ok rant over. x

Daisiemoo

Good morning all,

Gill3105 sorry can’t help with the itch as not big boobed so not having that problem but if I ever get itchy I always use aloe vera gel as also moisturising.

To make you SMILE, wanted to walk the dog and as it is warmer and sunny today to warm to wear my big baggy dog walking coat and although I have some post op bras have nothing yet to go in them so before going out stuffed two fluffy ankle socks in the op side. Worked a treat but did make me smile on my walk.

I have ordered my knitted knocker to get me through until my reconstruction decided on. 

So doing my exercises walking the dog and also yesterday back on the exercise bike but also having a snooze when I feel I need.

Hope all have a good weekend and if you are having surgery this week hope all goes well. xx

Gill3105
Community Champion

Quick question. I am now 4 days post op and feeling fine, doing excercises 3 - 6 times a day, taking a walk and general messing around to keep time moving. Due to the bras I am having to wear and being pretty big boobs I am get a itchy rash between my boobs which is driving me mad. Keeping as dry and clean as possible but still itchy. Any suggestions from you lovely ladies what I can put on this to stop from getting really sore? I know sudacrem is very good but might be a bit to drying? Any suggestions very welcome and good luck to those having surgery next week. I have just had Wle and snb and results Wednesday.
Feenix

Thanks Kitkat23

I hope your dressing coming off on Thursday will be easier than you expect.

I hope you all have a great weekend.

sending positive vibes xx

Kitkat23

Hi Feenix, Good to ‘meet’ you !  This time next week it will be ‘job done’ for you .... hoping you have a lovely weekend. Thursday the 19th is the day my dressing comes off ( big gulp!) .

Debbie - can I ask you - did you take your dressing off on your own? Or with someone.

the nurse said to take my dressing off next Thursday and just let it soak off in the bath.  I am starting to stress about it now I have come down from my post surgery high.

Dasiemoo - glad you’re home! Hope you feeling ok after 2 ops .

take care everyone x x x

Feenix

Thanks Anna

I see you are for surgery on Monday ..... wishing you well and a good recovery.

it looks as though you’ve had excellent support while waiting. 

Everyone on these forums are fantastic ... all the advice, experience, support, encouragement is here plus it’s a safe place to share fears and anxieties.

sending positive vibes

xx

WhyteFawn

Hi Anna.i can't comment on the SNB as I didn't have one we just went straight for the ANC. I found afterwards a lot less painful than I thought. Only painkillers I took were paracetamol and after 3 days I was forgetting to take them so didn't bother. Start your arm exercises as soon as you can. I think they advised me day after surgery. I did and I've not any any issues with my arm being stiff. Also if you're having rads you'll need to get your arm above your head so it helps with that too.
I was driving 3 days after my surgery but I know a lot of ladies have left it later. Do what feels right for you. Don't rush anything.
Will be thinking of you on Monday x
AnnaKarenina

I cannot thank you enough Catherine & Debbie for your honesty, support and kindness. It really has made a huge difference to me. You're both brilliant. 

Feenix, welcome to one of the most generous and supportive threads in town! I hope you find it as encouraging and valuable as I have done. We will all be here for you as you approach your surgery. xx 

Feenix

I’m finally joining this group following my clinic appointment ... WLE/SNB next Thursday.

I’ll be pleased to get it over and done with Smiley LOL

wishing all all a speedy recovery

xx

Debbie61

Helena - how did your mammo go? Debbie xx

Debbie61

Hi Anna. I’m now two years on from left  mx, node clearance and no reconstruction. The space where my left boob used to be has taken a bit of getting used to (couldn’t bear to look in mirror for a while). I wore my “softie” for ages until I realised it was far too light and one boob was a lot higher than the other ! Got a proper prosthesis now which looks like the real thing with clothes on. I’m fit and well though and getting on with life.  Lately I’ve been toying with the idea of getting a “titoo “ to cover the scar. Will have to investigate!  I’ll be thinking of you on Monday. This time next week it will have been nearly a week ago! Debbie xx

Kitkat23

Hi Anna

i had SLNB and the thought of a needle being put in right next to my nipple scared the pants off me but I can honestly say I DID NOT even feel it go in... and that’s the truth!

im not having reconstruction either ( my choice) and I know I still have one boob left but I expected to feel more emotional about losing the other one.  Maybe I will in time I don’t know but am just glad to get rid of what was in there.

the pain from the drain site was initially more painful than the mastectomy wound, however that’s all out now.  There is just a thin line of dressing across where my breast was, no swelling, can’t see any bruising but maybe underneath.  It’s very numb feeling, but think that’s normal too?

i was given a post surgery bra and ‘softie’ in a little draw string bag ( which I used to carry the drain around).... I’m a sucker for a freebie!

The BC nurse had asked me my bra cup size and had got me the smallest softie as I’m an A cup but she still had to pull loads of the wadding out as it was too big compared with my remaining boob.... so we both had a good laugh about that!

I am now managing on co codamol however needed paras and 30mg coedine at first.  I know if I have done too much though.  I keep getting like a buzzing sensation where my boob was, don’t know if it’s to do with nerve endings? But it’s not painful just weird!

You are NOT a coward .... you would not be normal not to be worried and anxious.

i have had x 2 WLEs previously and was still a complete mess in the anaesthetic room... I was blabbing like a baby and everyone was really really kind and lovely.

3 sleeps to go....deep breaths.... do something lovely this weekend.

im thinking of you.

x

AnnaKarenina

Thank you everyone. I really appreciate the support. I have lots of fears and anxieties, but it is immensely helpful to learn about others' experiences.

Whytefan, I wondered how you found the post-operative pain and recovery period? I am having a bilateral Mx and node clearance of some kind depending what the SNB shows. Also, I am quite needle-phobic, so terrified about the SNB itself which I know is daft, but is a big thing for me. Should I use EMLA cream cupcake style all over my boob?! I have used it to get me through eight cycles of chemotherapy and I am really fretting about it.  

I am not having reconstruction and so I guess I have lots of worries too about the impact of what I will see when I wake up and adapting to prostheses etc. but maybe those can wait until I get out the operating theatre. 

Sorry to be such a hopeless worrier and coward about it all. xx

Kitkat23

Glad you home and sorted Daisiemoo!! Make sure you rest up.

i had my drain out this morning and think I,be overdone it a bit this afternoon doing bits around the house.

i,m just going to chill tomorrow.

Nice to hear from you Anna! Not long now and you will be all done.

x x x

WhyteFawn

Hi Anna. I had a single right mx and ANC in Feb so if you have any questions I might be able to help you with let me know.
Daisiemoo Well done and rest up now after your surgery. X
Daisiemoo

Good afternoon everyone, I had my masectomy on Tuesday and was lucky to have Bupa at work so went private and had a nice room etc. Unfortunately I had a heamatoma above my dressing during the night and so yesterday had another operation to drain and clean so that was not so good but one of those things but now home. 

Had fantastic looking after and could not fault the nursing staff.

Just ordered my knitted knocker so looking forward to that arriving and on the 24th seeing the consultant for the results....

Take care everyone having surgery this month.

AnnaKarenina

Hello Catherine, Debbie and everyone, sorry to have vanished. I have been rushing around trying to finish off work and prepare the house/family for me to be out of action from Monday. It is good to have some distracting activities to stop my anxiety from going through the roof. And boy, am I anxious!

Catherine, it is brilliant to hear that you are making good progress. I find such strength in knowing that plenty of other women have taken their places in the anaesthetic room and gone through Mx/axillary surgery before me. 

Debbie, how are you doing?

Thank you to everyone who has been willing to share their experiences. It makes me feel a lot less alone as I anticipate surgery on Monday morning. xx 

Kitkat23

Thanks Cassie, and all the rest of you lovely ladies who are so supportive on this forum.

Yes I’m home!

everyone in the hospital was so kind and lovely, I just couldn’t fault the care given.

the breast link nurse is coming out tomorrow to check wound and drain, I’ve already met her twice so that will be a friendly change then back in clinic to see my named breast care nurse and consultant next week and results week after.

i didnt use this forum last time I was diagnosed in 2012 and I really should have, all you ladies are so kind and know just the right things to say and make the effort to come online and support all us ‘newbies’ to the forum.

your support and kindness is very much appreciated.

Helena.... glad you were in and out today.

enjoy your evening everyone x x

WhyteFawn

Glad to hear your getting pampered KitKat. Are you allowed home yet?

I had a single mx and ANC in Feb. Only had to stay in overnight and that was only because i was late going down to surgery. Then i just moaned at the nurses until they let me go. 

Good luck anyone with surgery coming up. 

Cassie x

Kitkat23

Hi Anna (Karenina)

Just wanted to say hello today and hope you doing ok this week waiting for your surgery.

I’m thinking of you x

ladybowler
Community Champion

Debbie

Oh wouldnt that be lovely, sometimes I wish I could go back to August 2016 when I was totally oblivous.

Good luck for your second mate

Sending you hugs

Helena xxx

Kitkat23

Ah thanks Debbie!

I think I am on a post surgery ‘high’!

X
Debbie61

Helena - hope your mammo goes ok (sure it will). Got my second year mammo post op in a couple of weeks. Be nice if we could all just forget it , but hey ho, needs must! Debbie x

Debbie61

Hi Catherine - glad all went well and you’re recovering at home. Make the most of all the pampering! Debbie x

ladybowler
Community Champion

Jay

Thank you and I will have everything crossed for you on the 26th xx

Jay68
Community Champion

Just wanting to wish you all the best for your first mammo post op tomorrow Helena.  I've got mine on 26 April which is 12 months from diagnosis. x

ladybowler
Community Champion

Andi

Thank you so much for your support, I can do this with all the love and support I have from the lovely ladies on here xxxx

Andi

Wishing you all the very best for tomorrow Helena.
You offer so much support and practical advice to ladies on the forum - you deserve a big heartfelt thank you xx
ladybowler
Community Champion

Kitkat

You really were spoiled 🙂 🙂

Thank you yes I have my first mammo post op tomorrow  xx

Kitkat23

Ah thank you Ladybowler, I am now feeling much better and am home.

i still have drain in but link breast nurse will visit at home each time until it’s removed.

I was given a lovely white crop top front opening bra which I wasn’t expecting and had a large single room with ensuing and big flat screen tv.  I felt like a private patient!

i have been a lurker on some of the other threads and think you have a check up due so wishing you the very best for this.

x

ladybowler
Community Champion

Kitkat

Yay good to hear that you are the other side of surgery.  Sounds like you are being well pampered.  Hopefully your sickness has gone now and you are able to eat something    xxx

Kitkat23

Am thinking of you Daisy moo . X x

Anna . Debbie n Stawberry hope u havin good day today.

I am feeling very pampered. Was wheeled up to a bc support thing at hospital this morning. And had coffe cake. Chat with others and hand massage. Nails done and reflexology. What a treat such kind n caring volunteers. X
Daisiemoo

Good morning Kit Kat good to hear all went ok and feeling a bit better this morning. I go in this afternoon so looking forward to tomorrow. Take care x

Kitkat23

Hi there!

All done. Wound looks ok no swelling as yet. Bp very low n been vomiting thru night ( think its the morphine) but ok. Will try to eat today. Pain ok too. Been upgraded to private wing with a large single r9m. Ensuite. Massiv tv n wardrobe! So not all bad! Also got given a post surgery bra in a cute little drawstring bag! Jus seen surgeon he said 2 to 3 weeks for results
thanka for youe kind messages . Hope u all having a good day. Speak soon x
AnnaKarenina

Hello Catherine, I have been thinking of you all day. I hope by the time you read this, you are being well looked-after and feeling relieved and comfortable. 

Debbie, good luck for tomorrow's SNB and great to have you on the pre-surgery thread! xx

Debbie61

Morning Catherine! Will be thinking of you today. Yes, it’s got to be done but you don’t have to get over yourself - it’s tough! This time tomorrow it will be behind you. Onwards and upwards! Debbie xx
Kitkat23

Hi Ladies

Well today’s the day!!

I feel very sick and very scared but it’s got to be done so I need to get over myself!

Speak soon x
Kitkat23

thanks Daisiemoo, still got cold but breathings fine so hoping it will be ok.
Good luck to you to, I will post when I can, let me know how you are too if you can.
X x x

Daisiemoo

Hello Catherine, hope you are feeling ok and your cold not to bad and as ready as possible for tomorrow’s surgery. I am going in on Tuesday for the same but tomorrow having the radiotope and dye for my SNB. Hope all goes well. x

AnnaKarenina

Oh no, Catherine. I am so sorry. I hope you can rest up and steam that cold away. It is bizarre isn't it how we go from dreading something to yearning for it to happen? I found my creatinine is a bit raised after my pre-surgery blood test and have been fretting that it might derail surgery. Wishing you healing vibes and a restorative Sunday. x

Kitkat23

Hi Anna, thanks for your post!

I have woken up full of cold and sore throat... so instead of stressing that I,m having surgery on Monday, i’m now stressing I won’t be having surgery on Monday!!

enjoy your weekend and you take good care too x x