cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SURGERY APRIL 2018

705 REPLIES 705
Highlighted

Re: SURGERY APRIL 2018

Sally .. I’ve been catching up with June chemo thread and see you’ve got info about findings about your complaint ... except you weren’t told about it and there’s incorrect info???? It beggars belief !!! Good luck with your reply to them.  Really sorry that your hair is thinning after all you did to keep it through cold capping... that must be devastating. Did it start after starting letrozole or is it a delayed reaction after chemo? I’m on letrozole, my hair is drier, not noticing too much more hair fall but I can get that if my thyroxine levels aren’t right anyway. I remember having slight nausea, mainly when I was changing from taking it at night to mornings but that has settled. Haven’t lost my appetite, which in some ways is a shame considering the twirls and shortcake I’ve eaten these past two days. I’ve been very tired for a few days and have nodded off during the day which is not me plus when out walking I’ve felt as though I’ve been walking through treacle. Fatigue is a side effect so guess it’s that.  I have some increase in joint/muscle involvement ... if I sit too long I can seize up a bit and takes me a bit of hobbling to get going but not all the time. Reminds me of when I used to work three consecutive 13 hour shifts. You can change to another AI. I was also told if I couldn’t tolerate AI then Tamoxifen was another option. Good luck also starting your trial.

Jem and Gill.... hope you two lasses are doing ok.

xx

Highlighted

Hi Jem,

The trial is for a drug the doubles the length of outcome for advanced breast cancer so they are filtering it down to test what sort of results it gives for less advanced cancer, to prevent the cancer recurring. It gets taken alongside the letrozole or tamoxifen.
Highlighted

Sally I'm sorry they don't appear to be able to help with your arm and numbness. I still have a large area on my back that is numb but slowly is changing.

wow sounds like you will rattle with all these mess! What is the trail looking at? I'm just on tamoxifen- hot flushes not too bad- seems to appear when I eat anything sweet or feeling cross with the children, youngster 2 fighting a lot at the mo 😫

Glad your feet are improving- some of these se seem to linger.

take care Jem xx

Highlighted

Hi,

My feet get better as the day goes on, so they're rubish in the morning but pretty much ok by the evening. Wearing slippers at work helps. I finally have a date for my prosthesis fitting which is 6/12. Saw my ONC today, got my letrozole and adcall and he's doing the referral to Guys for the MonarchE trial and they can do my Zometa as well. Got him to check my scar and shoulders as I'm still in quite a lot of discomfort and can't sleep on the side I had the node clearance which appears to be getting stiffer despite my continuing the exercises. I also keep getting cramp in the ribs that side. He said that I have got much more movement than most peple manage to get back, but unfortunately I have a wider area of numbness than they'd normally expect and that won't get any better. The scar will get tighter as it get older so it's important to do the exercises, which I do at least 2/3 times a day. So basically I have to put up with it, feeling like I'm carrying something under my arm and the feeling of water running down my back that I get.
Highlighted

Hi Sally and Feenix

Sally I hope your feet are improving. Feenix - heard anything about your fitting?

Physically I'm doing much better, it was a good day 10 days ago when I took off the blue nail varnish- after 6 months. Nails have survived intact which is amazing, they are yellow and bumpy so replaced with pale pink for now.  Sally understand re eyebrows and eyelashes - coming back here but hurry please.  My hair on head is think and growing quickly, pleased I cold capped as growth is better- however I've gone from blonde to dark with grey 😥. I'm still have an ugly red square from rads but it is improving slowly. Fatigue much better. Emotionally was doing really well but then today happened- just feel rubbish. I think it was bound to happen at some point.  Hopefully tomorrow will be better. Have radiologist consultant tomorrow - think he will hand me back to oncologist.

keep going with the complaint  Sally.

take care Jem x

Highlighted

Hi Sally and Feenix

Sally I hope your feet are improving. Feenix - heard anything about your fitting?

Physically I'm doing much better, it was a good day 10 days ago when I took off the blue nail varnish- after 6 months. Nails have survived intact which is amazing, they are yellow and bumpy so replaced with pale pink for now.  Sally understand re eyebrows and eyelashes - coming back here but hurry please.  My hair on head is think and growing quickly, pleased I cold capped as growth is better- however I've gone from blonde to dark with grey 😥. I'm still have an ugly red square from rads but it is improving slowly. Fatigue much better. Emotionally was doing really well but then today happened- just feel rubbish. I think it was bound to happen at some point.  Hopefully tomorrow will be better. Have radiologist consultant tomorrow - think he will hand me back to oncologist.

keep going with the comp,ain't Sally.

take care Jem x

Highlighted

Nope, not heard a dickie bird on my complaint since the last time I emailed a snotty reply to something they sent me. 9 moths and counting...
Highlighted

Sally ...it’s good to moan. Keep on pestering your bcn. I’ve just emailed mine as I’ve not been contacted to pick up foob that fitter ordered last week. I was supposed to have a meeting with her but that’s still pending...she has been off sick though for some weeks and just back to work a week on phased return. Do you have neuropathy in your feet? Must be painful.  It looks as though your physio was right about your left sided numbness, which is highly disappointing, to put it mildly. Hope you see some hair/lashes/brows regrowth  soon. How’s your complaint going....any further forward?

Highlighted

HI,

I'm ok thanks, just on train home from work. Since I finished the chemo though my feet are worse than ever. I'm stiff as a board and still numb as anything on my left side. It's peeing me off that although I have movement the numbness hasn't improved one iota since my surgeries in February and April. I still can only sleep on my right side and if I lie on my left it hurts my arm and I get constant cramp in my ribs. And I've not heard anything back from my BCN about the prosthesis fitting. No sign of any regrowth of eyebrows and eyelashes either, or the hair that I did lose.

I do like to moan don't I.
Highlighted

Sally, Jen and Gill... how are you all doing?

Highlighted

Sally ... mega congratulations on getting to the end of chemo. Have a great week off... enjoy the break.

Jem ... pleased you’re starting to  feel ok. Hope rads se’s improve soon.

xx

Highlighted

Hi Jem

Yep done and dusted with chemo. No rads for me but hormone tablets plus new tablets as part of a drug trial. Not sure what they are yet but I'll find out at my oncologist meeting on 7/11. They're giving me a couple of weeks off before I start. I have a week off and we were going to go away but decided against it and are just going to have a couple of days of and about.
Highlighted

Sally 🎉🎉🛎🛎I’m hopeful that your last chemo was as planned today- you’ve done it- what a marathon you’ve had and se have been kind to you😊. Are you planning on celebrating?
What is next for you? If I remember you had radiotherapy before. Is it hormone tablets??

Today is the first day that I’m beginning to feel ‘normal’ - whatever that is! I’m very red from rads and still fatigued but ok.

Feenix where are you off to in January? Somewhere lovely I hope.

Take care Jem xx
Highlighted

Jem ... so pleased to hear you are through treatment... the holiday will do you good...a nice celebration. The fatigue sounds bl**dy awful. Definitely good news on the travel insurance. OH has insurance through bank account so we’ve got to see if diagnosis affects it. Need to get it sorted before January as will be travelling then. Might get away for a short break before then 🤔 

Sally... Fab that it’s your last chemo this week. Hopefully missing one week cold capping won’t make any difference. ... 🤞... hope your cold has gone. Sounds good that you are able to go on a trial ... will that be alongside hormone treatment? 

Gill... hope all is well with you

xx

Highlighted

Hi Jem, Feenix,

Yep still commuting on a daily basis. It's fine cos I always work it so I get a seat. Last one next week...woo. Just hope I've not undone all my work by not cold capping this week after doing it for the previous 14 cycles. Just couldn't face it when I already hand a banging headache. Typical though, today the cold is on its way out. Once this is over got to start on the tablets, I assume letrozole for me but not been confirmed yet then sort out my starting the drug trial of the new drug that prevent reoccurrence.
Highlighted

Hi Feenix and Sally

1 more to go Sally 😀. How are you feeling? Are you still travelling across London to work each day? Hope your cold is going quickly. 

Feenix- your posts are sounding so positive😀. Sorry to hear cording not great- keep going with those exercises.

yesterday marked the end of active treatment 😀🛎🛎🎉🎉. 8 months since diagnosis. Rads have been ok but the fatigue! I think it's a bit cumulative after chemo but finding it hard- I'm ok in the mornings,by lunchtime I need a couple of hours rest/sleep, then by 7 become a couch 🥔. I've got a couple of weeks without anything then start tamoxifen- not looking forward to all the se but need it so will just have to get on with it. Off on holiday in a week- at this rate it will take me a week to pack for us all. The good news- we have annual travel insurance as a family- Hubble rang to inform them of diagnosis and all active treatment finished- no extra charge😀😀😀. Hope you both have a fab weekend.

x

Highlighted

Sally ... bit of a bummer on the thick hair growth in places we don’t want it... veet rules ok. Excellent having good range of movement ... I’ve got cording but not affecting ROM ... I’m doing some extra stretching exercises when I’m sitting watching tv ... find every little helps. Are you getting nearer to sorting out your complaint ?

Highlighted

Hi Feenix.

Nah arm and shoulders pretty screwed. I have good movement but if I don't do the exercises at least 2/3 times a day it gets very very tight and I've been told that probably won't change and nor will the numbness.

In other news I've noticed loads of long thick hair regrowth.

It's on my chin mind but you can't have everything. 🙂 The Veet is on it as I type.
Highlighted

Hi Jem...I hope rads are going ok and you’re not too fatigued. Hope you’ve got  celebratory plans  for when it finishes. The moving forward course is supposed to be good so it will hopefully help you. Seven months is a relatively short time for everything you have gone through and experienced ... emotions do catch up eventually, only natural.

Sally ... hope you’re still experiencing minimal se’s. Any improvement with your arm and shoulder area? You must be getting near to the end of your chemo ?!

Gill...hope you’re getting on ok...out and about with OH.

Ive recovered well apart from cording but that hasn’t affected my range of movement. Wound well healed .. still doing exercises/massage. I get out walking although do have a lazy day now and then. Sometimes feel quite tired .. might be the Letrozole.

xx

Highlighted

Opos- course starts on Monday!!
Highlighted

Hi Sally, Feenix and Gill
Sorry I’ve not been on for a while. Hope you are all good.
Sally you’ve nearly finished chemo- keep going not long now and you’ll be ringing the bell 🛎🛎🎉. My children organised (well started and I finished!) a party for family to celebrate the end of chemo - was good fun, the piñata took the brunt of our hate of cancer, chemo and se. Did you ever get a response from the hospital re your complaint? How’s your arm?
Feenix how are your recovery going? Are your scars healing well? Hope you are keeping up the walking - I’m only managing 3km now- the mysclws in my legs are struggling post chemo, but each day improving.
Gill are you still on the bike?
I’m now day 3 of rads- the team are lovely & I see the same ones each day. Emotion of the last 7 months starting to catch up on me 😖. Moving on course starts on My bday - really hoping this will be helpful.
Love to you all xx
Highlighted

Pleased things are improving for you and OH Gill.  It takes time to heal physically and emotionally. Hope you have a good week.

I’m doing ok... steady away. I've yet to get out and walk today... the wind will blow the cobwebs away from sorting paper work.

xx

Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi feenix how you doing. Biking good also been walking as hubby is back up to speed and less pain. Now on the list for the other hip so all good he will be running this time next year. Everything just about settled down now at last emotions still a bit anyhow but certainly improving. Never ending journey it seems but getting there.
Highlighted

Sally ...  hope today is going well. Expecting you’ll be no se’s 🤞 

Jem... hope you are much improved.

Gill ... how’s the biking going

xx

Highlighted

I’m going to stick with shampoo bars at the moment Jem... might try a moisturising one as well. 

Sorry you’re having a rough time but hopefully you’ll soon be over the se’s and ready to celebrate. 🎉 🎉 🎉  and walk along the beach enjoying the sea air 😃 

xxx

Highlighted

Hi Jem,

I've done all my own clexane , and other injections. I'm on it till at least New Year which is a pain.

Your body is probably just heaving a sigh of relief the chemo is over and wanting a well earned rest. I'm sure you'll bounce back in a day or two.
Highlighted

Feenix - Lush bar sounds good- I’ll pick one up when next near a Lush,
Sally - so pleased you’ve completed all physio- guessing you’re still doing exercises daily, you and se- fab.
The relief of finishing chemo long gone as suffering the worst se yet😖😢. I’ve not been admitted to hospital which is great, as is the effect of pain relief forbone pain. But feeling really rubbish this weekend😢- cumulative effect on my poor body - fatigue, feeling low, temp erratic but ok, aches, mouth sores and absolutely no taste at all😢 all I’ve done for past 2 days is sleep day and night. It
At least this is the last cycle and in a few days should be through it all.
Last clexane injection this evening - 100 done- Hubbie has been amazing at stabbing me each night. Do you self inject Sally?
Sorry not a more positive post. My friends and family are all so happy I’ve finished, I’m sure I will be in a couple of days.
Jem xx
Highlighted

Great that your shampoo is effective Sally.... haven’t heard of it.

Putting my washer through it’s paces today while I can... think Id better wash my winter coat 

xx

Highlighted

Morning,

Yep still no SEs here thanks. It's a bit cooler here but still dry with a nice breeze. The washing machine didn't know what had hit it yesterday!

I'm still using the biotin and collagen shampoo I got for half price in Super drug and the hair is thickening up up where it went a bit thin so that's good.
Highlighted

Jem ...I’ve started using my Lush red shampoo bar and purple conditioner today. Easy to use, smells lovely and hair feels good. Although not cheap,  I do waste a lot of shampoo as some of them make my hair feel yuk & same for conditioners, in the long run I should save money if I keep on with Shampoo bars. 

Hope you’re doing ok Sally and staying se free.

Sunny and warmer here this morning so washing in ....

xx

Highlighted

Sally... it’s good you have full movement and physio is happy to give you the boot ( something I think you’d be happy to do to some regarding your complaint but in a different context ) .. sorry they didn’t give you a better outlook long term with the numbness/tightness. Hope your stomach upset has settled.

Jem.. thanks for the tip about the lush red shampoo bar. I’m off to Lincoln tomorrow and I’m sure there is a Lush shop. I’ll give it a go. 

Enjoy the day ladies

xx

Highlighted

Morning ladies sun shining here☀️Beautiful down by the sea last evening.
Feenix you asked for recommendation re hair bars - Shi and some of Oct chemo starters recommend the Lush red dot- I’m going to give it a try too. Let me know if you like it.
Gave a good day all xx
Highlighted

Hi Gill, I got an interim reply in June which was just full of platitudes. I should get the full reply with 3 months which gives them another 2 weeks. I'm going to ask for a meeting for when I've finished chemo cos I want to rip them a new one face to face.
Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi Sally was thinking earlier. What happened with you complaint? Was anything ever done?
Highlighted

So I have been discharged by the physios cos I have regained a good range of movement and strength. I still need to do the exercises daily pretty much forever as the tightness and numbness is unlikely to improve at all and not doing the exercises will mean it slips backwards.

So for anyone wondering whether to have an ANC, I'd say if they don't say it's strictly necessary, don't do it
Highlighted
Community Champion

Well done Jem and off that chemo roller coaster. Rads will be fine and will fly by. Celebrate 🎉 well but don’t drink all 6 bottles in one go lol you will be a tad tipsy he he. Hope the next few days are good to you. But no more once all done. Look forward to seeing you in the rads thread and then into the first few weeks after rads which I started and has been great and really good for me and I am sure others that have joined us. Hope you rang the bell 🛎 loud and clear and lovely your children did the same. Love the sound of their celebrations. Games and choccy the best. Sally hope you is better for you today and feenix your doing great. Hubby is doing well and now back on the waiting list for second hip. Love my bike and went ride down our lane with grandchildren on Sunday and was lovely albeit they thought it as hilarious nanna on a bike. Had both over the weekend and had lots of fun and little Harriet (3) Monday said to me “nanna is you boob better now”? Said yes it is a lot better followed by her reply well that is very good but I will still be very careful with you. Melts your heart. Take care all and speak soon. X
Highlighted

Hi Sally hope your stomach is much better today- yesterday didn’t sound great 😖. Hope blood tests can be done today- much easier than going back . My bloods have remained fairly constant throughout chemo, well they are by pre assessment other times a bit bonkers, red blood cells are under 100 so might need some vitamins but not yet.
Good luck for Friday - I think your doing amazingly well, and to cold cap each week 😵 - I found cold capping really hard but kept going.
My little girl started Juniors today - was determined to take her and did 😊😊but worn out now. She went in well and did middle surgery one- up and dressed by 715!! Long may that continue. Eldest back tomorrow- being spoilt by grandparents today.
Feenix - some of the ladies on the October 2017 thread recommended a Lush bar for hair- I’ll ask Shi which one.
Hoping to go for a walk today to sit by the sea.
Have a good day xx
Highlighted

Morning!

Jem you must be so pleased that's done, the rads is the easiest bit of the treatment. You can get right roaring drunk now 🙂

Sleep last night was good. Had upset stomach yesterday. If my train hadn't pulled into the platform at Waterloo east with toilets it might have been messy! I was asleep by 9pm. Woke at 4.20 to get son up for work the sleept till 5.50 when I got up. I have physio today so leaving work earlier than normal. Going to try and get my blood test done today too so I don't have to get to hospital early Friday morning for it. They forgot to give me my green slip at last chemo so I'll have to pop up to the unit to get one.

Have a good day ladies, weather not much cop for bike riding Feenix.
Highlighted

Jem.... Fab Fab Fab ....  🎉 🎉 🎉 Hope you celebrate like mad.... 🤞 se’s are kind this last time.

Sally.... hope you had a better sleep last night

Gill... hope you’re doing ok, OH also... still on your bike?

hugs xx

Highlighted

I’ve done it 😊🎉I’m off the chemo roller coaster😊 🎢 now instead of waving as our cars pass Sally I’m stood on the ground cheering you on . It was a hard session today - cold cap was the hardest , I was violently sick after all over 😖 & I unlike me was really emotional after the chemo bag was finished 😖. Chn rang bells at my parents house to celebrate 🛎🛎🛎. Now need to get through next 10 days and then need to let my hair down(well bit tricky with most gone)!😂
Hubbie was so thoughtful today and has order last 2 bottles of champagne today - the champagne we had at our wedding 24 years ago- he’s not know for his romance! We now have 6 bottles -1 for each chemo cycle🍾🍾🍾🍾🍾🍾. I’ve not drunk since diagnosis in Feb. Friends lining up to share😊
Feenix I am so so pleased that you didn’t need chemo- 3 surgeries was hard.
Take care lovely ladies. 💕🎉🎉
Highlighted

Morning Jem and Sally

Great it’s your last chemo Jem... hope all goes well and hope se’s are kind. It’ll be good for you all to have a celebration.

My main numbness is beneath snb scar on side of chest.. my main scar has some numbness/sensitivity.

A break away from everything will be so good for you Sally.

Ive been on Letrozole since June... not had any real problems on Accord brand. My hair is a lot drier than usual though. I’ve been using mild shampoos lately so maybe I should change. Fancy trying a shampoo bar... any recommendations?

Have a good day at work Sally

xx

Highlighted

Morning Jem, Feenix

Last chemo Jem, bet you can't wait to get it over and done. I'm due to finish the week after you on 19/10. No rads for me due to having them before, and then it was 3 weeks worth which was easy with no side effects except what was like a touch of sunburn which was easily sorted with a ton of Acqueuos cream.

I'm also going to have hormones but no idea what yet as I've not been told or for how long.

Glad you had a good holiday. Just what is needed. I've booked a couple of weeks off work at the end of my chemo but we won't be going anywhere. The breal will be nice though.

Right off to work. Too hot last night and kept getting cramp in my feet so little sleep had, thought I may as well get up and go in early.
Highlighted

Hi Sally and Feenix

Sally - you are doing so amazingly well through chemo, which is a blessing as post surgery has been awful for you. I still have numb areas but slowly decreasing- I get an odd sensation for a few days and then notice I can feel pressure but not really feeling.

Custom made prosthetic sounds a good way to go Feenix.

here - great hols and back Sunday evening to face last chemo today ( still wide awake now- due to the steroids I think). It's a strange feeling to think post chemo- feel like I've been on this chemo rollercoaster for so long not really sure how it will feel to be off. I'm not one for tears but think there may be some today - relief no more cold cap or chemo but then facing the horrid se for 10 days. Spoke with consultant today about life post chemo- she was really helpful. 

Is the plan for either of you hormones be drugs? Was given prescription for tamoxifen today to start in 4 weeks- something new to worry about for me😥

Also saw new consultant re rads yesterday morning- great it all dovetailed into 1 morning😀- 15 rads over 3 weeks for me (in my head I had thought 20 so a bonus only 15). Slight issue with reconstruction but he agreed with the advise from my surgeon on how to minimise se. They use a new machine so don't need tattoos. 😀. I'm going to try and get off the chemo rollercoaster before thinking about this new rollercoaster - I'm hoping it's a much smaller ride!! Start on 24th Sept and finish Fri 12th Oct - is this similar time to you finishing chemo Sally?

children planning party for us to celebrate end of chemo, but in 2 weeks time so I can enjoy. Started out just the 5 of us but think may grow! This has been so hard for them, especially my middle one who is a sensitive chap- he was sobbing this evening as he didn't want to me go through the se again😥. I think the stark difference between se times and good times has been difficult. Something positive will be good for them.

hugs Jem xx

Highlighted

Hi Sally

The nurse is right about nerve repair/recovery but you may get some feeling back as still relatively early days at 5 months. .. can only hope. It might be a common problem after node clearance. Having such a large numb area must make lying on that side difficult. Your mx scar sounds like mine... on a slant to meet up with snb scar. I have a mound of tissue/fat underneath which makes the snb scar into a groove (was flat before) and I have another groove underneath that !!! .. don’t know what surgeon was doing as it’s the sorest area.  Area surrounding whole scar uneven but I’m 4 months behind you... I’m exercising, stretching and massaging so will have to wait and see. It will frustrate and greatly annoy me too if I don’t see much improvement if I put in  the amount of time and effort as you have to improve things. I do wish plastic surgeons did mx surgery. I’ve heard dog ears are annoying and can be painful but are easily sorted with revision surgery. I’ve seen some have the whole scar area revised.

Prosthetics can be custom made if the others aren’t suitable.... they take a mould. Bcn said they usually fit them after 6weeks but the fitter will decide if scar areas’ ok at that time. I’ve not had an appointment yet so I guess I’ll be chasing that up too but I think 6 weeks is going to be too early for me. Hope you get sorted soon.

Take care

xx

Highlighted

Hi Feenix,

Thankfully I've not put on any weight through this at all, not lost it either though. 😞 Was chatting to one of the nurses at my work today about my scarring and numbness after the node clearance. She used to work in plastics and unfortunately nerves recover very very slowly and sometimes not at all. 5 bloody months I've been doing my exercises every single day and massaging the scars which are still not much better than just after the op. I must get the BCN to sort me out a prosthesis as I've still not had that done. It's not going to be easy cos my surgery scarring is at an angle and still very lumpy and disappears under my arm with a bloody dog ear hanging down. To be honest I'm finding this much harder to deal with than chemo. I hate that I have such a huge area with no feeling on my arm and down my shoulder and back.

I'm with you on the sugar free jellies. They are one of my go to sweep treats. The yoghurt I have to avoid because it's full of sugar. I had a hula hoop bug I just couldn't do it any more. I just run up and down the stairs at work about 15 times a say.
Highlighted

Sally , Jem 

Hope you’re both ok and had a good weekend.

Im conscious I’ve put on weight so trying to stop eating rubbish that’s been tempting the last week or so.... no buying biscuits. Still have a square of dark chocolate a day... if I’m really desperate for something sweet it’s jam on wholemeal bread or I make an apple pie 😂 I’m enjoying sugar free jelly today... goes well with fruit and natural yoghurt. Got to increase exercise so off out for another walk later... picked up the hula hoop again too.

Hugs xx

Highlighted

Hem.. you did good on the bike and stairs.. great you are looking at life post treatments. Pleased you’ve all having a great break away....

One more to go 😀 

hugs xx

Highlighted

Evening Sally... pleased your scarring is improving esp after having two surgeries and the probs you had. I’ve seen different recoveries on the threads... some get feeling back, some don’t. Someone wrote it took about 6 months for tightness to improve and others said longer... it’s very individual recovery wise.

I do hope you get a full reply before the end of September ... it’ll save you chasing it up. Hope today was ok for you 

hugs xx

Highlighted

I'm still waiting to hear more from them on my complaint. They wrote on 19th June and said they'd have a full answer within three months, not heard anything g else yet.
Highlighted

Morning Jem, Feenix.

The scarring is improving but it's more the tightness and loss of feeling . From my elbow up on the back of my arm and my shoulder is numb. And not improving .