SURGERY APRIL 2018

Hi there

Not sure what or where to post.  Just thinking it would be nice to make contact with others having surgery this month ( or anyone really that is kind enough to read this post).  

I,m having a mastectomy and SNB on Monday 9th and the anxiety is creeping up every day, it’s taken over my life.

Haven’t had chance to see the breast nurse beforehand so probably not very well prepared… want it over and done with but very scared.

Catherine

Hello! I usually post in the November chemo thread as I had chemotherapy before surgery, but I am anticipating a bilateral Mx and SNB/node clearance (depending on results of SNB) on 16 April, so one week behind you. I too am extremely anxious, but also keen to get it over with. I have been fortunate to have lots of time with the BCN and surgeon, plus a very kind and patient pre-surgery assessment clinician appointment on Tuesday which did reassure me a bit. I am really sorry you’ve not had that chance.

I hope perhaps others will come along and we can support each other. There are a few of us on the November chemo thread anticipating surgery and some who have recently had surgery. I take comfort from the reassurance of women who have gone there before us and say it was rarely as bad as they feared, but I know nothing really helps with the anxiety monster strikes. Hang in there. We can do this thing. x 

Hello KitKat

I had DCIS in 2011 and WLE plus radiotherapy. Last May I was diagnosed with recurrence of DCIS in same breast so mastectomy was only option. I was shocked and it took some time to take it in and then decide on treatment. I decided to have a simultaneous reconstruction using a DIEP flap and this was done in November. I did feel scared but was reassured to know that the surgical teams are doing these operations all the time and   are really skilled, you will be in good hands.  I hope you are taking someone with you on Monday who will be company and reassure you if you need it.

It will be over soon and you can get on with your life.  I took up every offer of help from friends and family, once people know they were really supportive, as a bit of a control freak I found this difficult but it really helped me and it meant my husband did not have to cope with everything  on his own. People who love you will be anxious but it helps them if other people are aware of whats going on.  

All the best for Monday

Mx

Hello again Catherine,

How are you doing this morning? I am guessing that you’re probably feeling pretty apprehensive and tense. I know I am getting increasingly grumpy to be around and can feel the stress building which is no fun for the poor people around me who have already put up with me during 8 cycles of chemo! 

Along the way, I have learned that being vulnerable and expressing my worries, here or elsewhere, is helpful and probably makes me more resilient. Never apologise for feeling anxious - it is entirely normal and there are plenty of us out here who share your emotions and worries. 

Like you, I am not going for reconstruction. I hate being a patient and just feel that I want the simplest option (!) at this stage, so it will be knitted knockers and eventually prostheses for me on each side. People keep saying I may change my mind, but I feel intuitively that this is right for me at the moment and probably longer term too. There is so much else to contend with right now. 

I confess to being a complete wuss and pretty terrified of needles, so I am fretting about everything from the Sentinel node biopsy to cannulation and the business afterwards! It is daft I know, but I do find it hard not to be a complete coward about it all. I am coping with displacement activity making lists of things to take to hospital and recipes that are simple enough for my family to cook. I also went dancing this morning which was brilliant and just the ticket to take my mind away from what is to come.

Catherine, I will be thinking of you hugely this weekend and, of course, on Monday. Whenever you want or need to post/PM, please do and let us know how you’re doing when you’re ready. Take care. xxx

Oh no, Catherine. I am so sorry. I hope you can rest up and steam that cold away. It is bizarre isn’t it how we go from dreading something to yearning for it to happen? I found my creatinine is a bit raised after my pre-surgery blood test and have been fretting that it might derail surgery. Wishing you healing vibes and a restorative Sunday. x

Hello Catherine, hope you are feeling ok and your cold not to bad and as ready as possible for tomorrow’s surgery. I am going in on Tuesday for the same but tomorrow having the radiotope and dye for my SNB. Hope all goes well. x

Hello Catherine, I have been thinking of you all day. I hope by the time you read this, you are being well looked-after and feeling relieved and comfortable. 

Debbie, good luck for tomorrow’s SNB and great to have you on the pre-surgery thread! xx

Hi there!

All done. Wound looks ok no swelling as yet. Bp very low n been vomiting thru night ( think its the morphine) but ok. Will try to eat today. Pain ok too. Been upgraded to private wing with a large single r9m. Ensuite. Massiv tv n wardrobe! So not all bad! Also got given a post surgery bra in a cute little drawstring bag! Jus seen surgeon he said 2 to 3 weeks for results
thanka for youe kind messages . Hope u all having a good day. Speak soon x

Good morning Kit Kat good to hear all went ok and feeling a bit better this morning. I go in this afternoon so looking forward to tomorrow. Take care x

Am thinking of you Daisy moo . X x

Anna . Debbie n Stawberry hope u havin good day today.

I am feeling very pampered. Was wheeled up to a bc support thing at hospital this morning. And had coffe cake. Chat with others and hand massage. Nails done and reflexology. What a treat such kind n caring volunteers. X

Wishing you all the very best for tomorrow Helena.
You offer so much support and practical advice to ladies on the forum - you deserve a big heartfelt thank you xx

Glad to hear your getting pampered KitKat. Are you allowed home yet?

I had a single mx and ANC in Feb. Only had to stay in overnight and that was only because i was late going down to surgery. Then i just moaned at the nurses until they let me go. 

Good luck anyone with surgery coming up. 

Cassie x

Hello Catherine, Debbie and everyone, sorry to have vanished. I have been rushing around trying to finish off work and prepare the house/family for me to be out of action from Monday. It is good to have some distracting activities to stop my anxiety from going through the roof. And boy, am I anxious!

Catherine, it is brilliant to hear that you are making good progress. I find such strength in knowing that plenty of other women have taken their places in the anaesthetic room and gone through Mx/axillary surgery before me. 

Debbie, how are you doing?

Thank you to everyone who has been willing to share their experiences. It makes me feel a lot less alone as I anticipate surgery on Monday morning. xx 

Good afternoon everyone, I had my masectomy on Tuesday and was lucky to have Bupa at work so went private and had a nice room etc. Unfortunately I had a heamatoma above my dressing during the night and so yesterday had another operation to drain and clean so that was not so good but one of those things but now home. 

Had fantastic looking after and could not fault the nursing staff.

Just ordered my knitted knocker so looking forward to that arriving and on the 24th seeing the consultant for the results…

Take care everyone having surgery this month.

Hi Anna. I had a single right mx and ANC in Feb so if you have any questions I might be able to help you with let me know.
Daisiemoo Well done and rest up now after your surgery. X

Thank you everyone. I really appreciate the support. I have lots of fears and anxieties, but it is immensely helpful to learn about others’ experiences.

Whytefan, I wondered how you found the post-operative pain and recovery period? I am having a bilateral Mx and node clearance of some kind depending what the SNB shows. Also, I am quite needle-phobic, so terrified about the SNB itself which I know is daft, but is a big thing for me. Should I use EMLA cream cupcake style all over my boob?! I have used it to get me through eight cycles of chemotherapy and I am really fretting about it.  

I am not having reconstruction and so I guess I have lots of worries too about the impact of what I will see when I wake up and adapting to prostheses etc. but maybe those can wait until I get out the operating theatre. 

Sorry to be such a hopeless worrier and coward about it all. xx

I’m finally joining this group following my clinic appointment … WLE/SNB next Thursday.

I’ll be pleased to get it over and done with :smileylol:

wishing all all a speedy recovery

xx

I cannot thank you enough Catherine & Debbie for your honesty, support and kindness. It really has made a huge difference to me. You’re both brilliant. 

Feenix, welcome to one of the most generous and supportive threads in town! I hope you find it as encouraging and valuable as I have done. We will all be here for you as you approach your surgery. xx 

Hi Anna.i can’t comment on the SNB as I didn’t have one we just went straight for the ANC. I found afterwards a lot less painful than I thought. Only painkillers I took were paracetamol and after 3 days I was forgetting to take them so didn’t bother. Start your arm exercises as soon as you can. I think they advised me day after surgery. I did and I’ve not any any issues with my arm being stiff. Also if you’re having rads you’ll need to get your arm above your head so it helps with that too.
I was driving 3 days after my surgery but I know a lot of ladies have left it later. Do what feels right for you. Don’t rush anything.
Will be thinking of you on Monday x

Quick question. I am now 4 days post op and feeling fine, doing excercises 3 - 6 times a day, taking a walk and general messing around to keep time moving. Due to the bras I am having to wear and being pretty big boobs I am get a itchy rash between my boobs which is driving me mad. Keeping as dry and clean as possible but still itchy. Any suggestions from you lovely ladies what I can put on this to stop from getting really sore? I know sudacrem is very good but might be a bit to drying? Any suggestions very welcome and good luck to those having surgery next week. I have just had Wle and snb and results Wednesday.