69240members
363550posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SURGERY OCTOBER 2018

Re: SURGERY OCTOBER 2018

Thanks Feenix. Not many on this thread but afew new peeps. I think the November surgery thread may have gone too. Any idea re what to do re scarring that the surgeon saw inside from when I had my SLNB? XX

Linda .. just popped on ... great to hear you’ve had your surgery... let your OH pamper you... keep up with exercises. Fingers crossed for good results.

xx

Had my surgery at 4.45 on Monday and back on ward at 7.30 so a long day as arrived at 7.15. No food from 12 so was starving after op.it all went well and the surgeon who is amazing thinks he got it all out. Get results on the 1st so a waiting game now!
Got home yesterday at 2.30 as surgery was in surrey and i live in somerset so was tired last night and today. In pain last night but ok today after popping the paracetomol and ibruprofen. Trying to avoid codeine or cocodomol as codeine gives you constipation and i already have enough issues with that.
Been doing exercises but only managed 2 lots today. My v pillow with a fleecy cover is prooving useful and my OH is looking after me.
Hows everyone else doing?

Hi Everyone

Sorry for the technical error which meant this thread temporarily disappered.  Here it is, back again, 🙂

Best wishes
Anna
Digital Community Officer

Sorry you need to have further surgery Lootz - that's my biggest dread. Three years ago I had my first lumpectomy and SNB nodes removed, radiotherapy, letrozole and that was it. It was also what I had prepared myself for and all went like clockwork - well, after the initial "this can't be happening to me" "there must be a mix up here" etc. thoughts.

This time friends and family have been saying things like .. well at least you know what to expect because you've been here before. I think it's difficult for them to consider that maybe things won't be so straight forward this time. It's always in the back of my mind, but I get the impression it's not what they want to hear (or don't want me to even think along those lines)

Maybe better to prepare myself just in case 🙂

Anyway - just in case I do need more surgery - is it less complicated as it's via the same excision (not sure if you know the answer to that -just wondering)? xx

Thanks Magsv!
Good luck tomorrow Lootz28. I feel ok for tomorrows surgery still but no doubt will be a nervous wreck soon. Going to take a diazepam tomorrow before 6 am. Wheres your surgery? Mines in Surrey.x

Got my results after my first surgery, unfortunately 2 of the 3 lymph nodes removed contained tumour, as did the inferior margin (although very tiny!) I'm scheduled for more surgery tomorrow, to remove a little bit more via the same excision and for axillary node clearance. Not what I was expecting and certainly not what I'd prepared myself for! Thankfully I did get a cancellation, as surgery was orginally scheduled for the 29th, but that doesn't stop me from dreading it!

Will be thinking of you on Monday Linda 👍. I'm doing just fine after op - although the bruising is actually getting worse as the days pass (thought the lack of pain after op this time was too good to be true!).
The district nurse came to check the dressings and organised a prescription for waterproof ones as I found it difficult to keep the ones the hospital gave me dry in the shower. She's arranged to come back on Tue to make sure all still ok with wounds. Isn't the NHS wonderful? 👍.
Just in that 'no man's land' at the moment waiting for results and news of any planned follow up treatment etc. x

It's all on for Monday - fifth on the list but that could change. he starts at 8 & they are all small ops. Thought I would be later as staying in over night. Hows everyone doing?

Petra I too am going in for a second op. Not feeling too hopeful that they will get it all this time - wonder how much of the boob will be left at this rate!

Thanks ladybowler

I think that some hospitals use blue dye and others (like mine) just use clear stuff? Googled it and other hospitals use both? Anyway- fingers crossed it works no matter what method used 😊

I had two lymph nodes removed this time and wound doesn't hurt at all - so far!. Last op (on other breast) I had 3 removed and still have pain there 3 years later. 🤞😊
Community Champion

Magsv

I know when I had my lumpectomy, the blue dye was inserted during the op.  I did not go "blue" however my wee was blue for about 48 hours and I had a blue boob where the dye was injected into my breast, the girls at work called me "blue tit" for a while afterwards :).  It does fade over time and is not painful. I went to hospital the day before to have some clear fluid injected into my breast in preparation for the blue dye.  That did not hurt just felt like a small scratch and took seconds to do.

Helena xxx

Petra and Sals - I asked the nurse who inserted the dye if I could expect to be blue after reading your posts about it (I couldn't remember that happening to me last time). She said that the stuff used in our hospital doesn't contain the blue colour and thought that it was a different dye if it was injected during operation? I was just curious ☀️

Well I survived surgery (although did feel really yucky for a good few hours after - I was the same last time too) . Ok was at 3pm and home - feeling a bit wobbly and out of sorts- by 6.30. I feel a thousand times better this morning tho after managing to eventually fall asleep 😊.

There were a few hiccups pre op as, after the dye was injected, I mentioned that I was due to have 2 wires inserted, but turns out there was no appt for this as they thought I was having a mastectomy. Luckily it was a local holiday here yesterday and as it was very quiet an appt was slotted in. There was a bit more confusion when they looked at the charts and discovered 3 markers and not 2! The radiologist had to arrange a meeting with the surgeon (between ops) to work out where to put the 2 wires. Hopefully they chose the correct places 🙄. It was also a bit of a palava getting the wires in during umpteen mammogram position attempts- small breasts and large breast bones are not a good mammogram combination 🤣.

Two lymph nodes removed. District nurse coming to the house on Wednesday and Thursday to check dressings. Glad that part's over. All NHS staff were wonderful - results in 2 weeks 🤞😊

Hi Linda, yes it’s a re-excision, to remove a bit more tissue from the same area.  I’m just not looking forward to more surgery, as I have long-standing M.E. and struggle after the general anaesthetic.  Thanks for your support though.  Hopefully things will go OK. 🙂

Petra is it a re excision doing the same op? Sorry to hear that and glad you are feeling ok. Chemo wasn't too bad if you need it and you will get support on the chemo threads. x

Hello Linda, thank you!  They took 6 lymph nodes which were all clear, so that was great news.  But I need to have further breast surgery as the margin was too fine.  So that’s scheduled for 24th.  Meanwhile I’m seeing the oncologist next week to organise Oncotyping, so it’s possible I may need chemo as well as radiotherapy.  Ho Hum!!  I’m feeling OK and just taking things one step at a time, but struggling a lot with underarm nerve pain....  Things can only get better, right?  😂

My surgery is on the 22nd fingers crossed. I would do what you did as I got a second opinion after being told i needed a mastectomy and was going to see if I could have diep reconstruction at another hospital which was a 6 to 8 hour op with 3 months recovery. Anyway i am now having a therepeutic mammoplasty where I got a second opinion. The surgeon said don't burn your bridges. Its a 1 to 2 hour op and 2 t0 4 weeks recovery and is day surgery although I am staying in for 1 night as I live such a long way away from where I am having the op. You can have a mastectomy if you need to but reconstruction is not recommended at my local hospital either immediately if you are having radiotherapy. I have had second thoughts too but am not too worried yet although as it gets closer I may be more worried and wonder if I am doing the right thing. I am not sleeping too well either so maybe its there at the back of my mind but just want it over as it has been cancelled once already. x

Thanks Linda 🙂 When is your surgery?

I've had a few wobbles recently (mostly in the middle of the night - typical). Initially I was told that the only option was 2 WLE of the one area of high grade DCIS and a further suspicious area. But after discussing the fact that I've been on letrozole for the past 3 years due to invasive breast cancer in the other breast another meeting was held and I was offered a single mastectomy as an alternative. It's hard when they won't tell you their opinion, but leave the decision up to the patient. I don't think they're allowed to offer advice?

Anyway, I chose the same operation as last time - just the 2 WLEs plus (hopefully) follow-up radiotherapy. I could have taken longer to decide, but I'd waited so long to get an actual surgery date, I didn't want to postpone it any further.

My reason for not going for the single mastectomy was because I thought I'd only worry about the remaining breast that had been affected previously anyway ... but now I'm thinking I should just have asked for the mastecomy as I've read that high grade DCIS is more likely to return after treatment.

Hopefully I'll sleep the next 2 nights and accept my decision was the best one ... if I don't, at least I'm guaranteed some sleep during the op 🙂

Sale how did your surgery go last week?

Petra hope your results were good?

Maglev good luck with surgery on Monday. How is everyone else doing having surgery this month? I went for a pre op and echo yesterday. Not heard anything today so I guess its going ahead this time. 

Thanks Linda - there's so many abbreviations involved it's like learning a new language 😊. Just been spending time getting to know how the forum works as well. I really should have watched the introductory videos instead of just jumping in blindly.x

An echo is an echocardiogram on your heart to see if chemo has caused any damage. I got a second opinion so am having op by that surgeon in Surrey.

Not sure what an echo is? I'm lucky as local hospital can do it all - 5 minute drive away from my house 🙂

Hello Linda, I’m doing OK since surgery.  No drains, thank goodness, so just taking things gently.  I’m really exhausted and still quite sore, but managing to do the gentle exercises OK.  Back to clinic next Thursday to get results of my lymph node biopsy and see where we go from here....

Magsv welcome. Sounds like this has been going on for a long time! My op is on the 22nd now. The gp is arranging an echo for me now at my local hospital in Somerset as surgery is at a different hospital. x

Hello all,

New to the forum ... but not new to breast cancer! Had invasive cancer in left breast 3 years ago - lumpectomy and sentinal node removal then follow-up radiotherapy and letrozole. Was called back in May because of suspicious finding in other breast following yearly mammogram. After umpteen core biopsies, mammograms, ultrasounds and MRI stuff, has been decided I have one area of High Grade DCIS and another area that came back benign but looks very suspicious so being removed as well. Surgery planned for 15th October - finally! WLE x2 plus sentinal node removal then maybe follow-up radiotherapy. It's been a very long stressful summer Woman Frustrated

Sale and Petra. Hope surgery went well? Mine is now in 2 weeks if my bloods are ok and if I get an echo done which i chased up today to no avail.

Do you think that's the reason the sch as I am anemic too. Haemoglobin is 101 and nests 1.36 I think. I haven't heard from anyone yet to say why. I wonder how long it will be before its rearranged? I live in Somerset. Where did you drive down from Petra 1962? Good luck with your op tomorrow. x

My boob is very blue today and my face was a strange colour yesterday after the lymph node biopsy - I looked like a waxwork or manakin so be prepared for that.

Hi Linda,

im having a local wide excision, and sentinel lymph node biopsy.  Yes, I’ll be a blue booby too 😂

im so sorry your op has been postponed, but do understand if your WBC is so low (I used to work in a haematology lab 8n a former existence).  I went down to Exeter today (2hour drive) for the radioactive injection and scans.  That was OK and not too painful or uncomfortable.  I was watching the scan and the radiographer said it looked like Mickey Mouse (which it did 😂). You just couldn’t make this up!!  So my op is still going ahead tomorrow....  I wasn’t very worried before today.  Just strangely calm!  But now I’ll be glad when the surgery is over....   I do hope yours isn’t delayed for too long, and I’ll see you on the other side..... 🙂

Hi All, 

Ihave been reading posts on the site for a few days and am ready to share and support, I received my final diagnosis last Thursday and had the sentinal lymph biopsy yesterday, recovering wel at home today - don't normally get the chance for daytime TV! Friday I am scheduled to have my masectomy and temporary implant, all a bit nervewracking but I am feeling calmer now I have actually started the process. Wishing everyone the best and lots of strength and courage

My op has been postponed so am awaiting a call from medical team to explain why but I think its due to my white blood cells being 1.99.

Nodes to be removed during surgery and checked for cancer.

Good luck on the blood test results.  Hope the surgery goes as well as expected, and that your soreness/ brusing goes away quickly.

Love from Mama Smurf

Nodes to be removed during surgery and checked for cancer.

Good luck on the blood test results.  Hope the surgery goes as well as expected, and that your soreness/ brusing goes away quickly. Love from Mama Smurf

Hi Sally, welcome. Do you mean a sentinel lymph node biopsy followed by surgery to remove nodes the next day? I have to call the hospital tomoz to confirm time to arrive and what needs doing before going to ward etc  so just hope my blood test is ok.x

Hi I think this is the place for me I am booked for Blue Boob on the 9th and then surgery on the 10th. This should be fun, so far just 8 cycles of FECT, then surgery,(1 lump removal, 1 boob resizing and the nodes) . Well as they say things can only get better . 

The NHS are deciding how to spend 20 billion so please go to the Breast Cancer Now website to give your reason why it should go to BC. I have done this already.

Hi Petra,

What op are you having? I am awaiting blood test results still but should get them tomorrow. I will have to have another blood test if nests and and are still too low. I will use my body wash tomorrow night if blood test is ok tomorrow. We will have to rebook a hotel too as we cancelled it so won't lose any money as my op is in London and I live in Wellington in Somerset. Are you feeling worried? I am not yet but will be I expect soon. Will think of you too on Wednesday. I expect others will be along soon. 

Hello Linda, I’m having surgery this coming Wednesday too - 3rd October.  I was just received my diagnosis on 21st so I’m still getting m6 head around everything.  Thankfully I didn't need chemo before surgery, but I’ll be glad once next week is over.  I have grade 2 invasive ductal carcinoma, also ER+ and HER2-.  I hope you’re surgery goes well, and will be thinking of you.

SURGERY OCTOBER 2018

Thought I would start this thread as I am having my TM op on Wednesday all being well. Having another blood test tomorrow as my neutrophils and white blood cells were too low for surgery when I had blood test yesterday. No surprise really as that's happened the last 3 cycles of chemo. I have grade 3 invasive ductal carcinoma which is ER positive and HER2 negative.