Struggling failed breast implant

Hello

I’m really struggling with my situation and any advice would be really appreciated. 

2019 had lumpetomy didn’t get clear margins so had mastectomy with immediate breast implant. The breast that was removed had no cancer in it. I did seek advice on this and was told that does happen sometimes.

Really pleased with the implant and how it looked. But developed daily seroma 3 months after. It came out of the nipple so thought just comestic can live with that.

March this year had infection in the mastectomy breast and it pulled apart the mastectomy scars. Seroma now comes out of the scars and scars have turned blue. 

I’ve seen my surgeon and he says implant has to be removed and the blue scars is dead skin and needs to be removed. 

He’s booking me into see the plastic surgeon to see if any fat can be used for reconstruction but he’s already said very unlikely as I’m too slim. 

He said a smaller implant could be attempted but he thinks it will not be successful as he thinks the seroma is my body rejecting the implant and it will happen again. I saw him 6 months ago but he didn’t say that then.

So the other option which he thought was very likely to happen if not now but soon was to go flat.

I’m now questioning my surgeon . I’ve always trusted him but now I’m doubting everything. I’m feeling guilty for feeling this about him.

I’m incredibly grateful the cancer has not come back but I’m feeling terrible. I cannot get my head round going flat. I have so much admiration for women who choose to go flat and the courage it takes but im not there yet. I feel so guilty as I don’t have cancer and this is purely comestic so I know I should be so grateful.

Any advice would be appreciated. Has anyone had a failed implant and had another put in and was successful.

Any advice on going flat and how to deal with it would be really appreciated. 

Thanks 

Cheffy

Hi Cheffy,

Thank you for your post.

I am sorry to see that you are struggling at the moment. There is no need to feel guilty or explain yourself about your emotions and the way you experience the situation. It’s your body so you need to make sure that you will decide the best for yourself.

I am hoping that my response will help our members to see your post and offer their experience and advice. In the meantime, please remember that for any clinical questions, our breast care nurses are here and happy to talk things through.

Sending you our warmest wishes,

Zoe

Hi @Cheffy  - I’m not sure I can help, but I didn’t want to go past without sending a hug at least. I also agree with Zoe’s comments, you really shouldn’t feel guilty either about wanting a second opinion or wanting a reconstruction. It is such a personal decision whether to have a reconstruction or stay flat, so it’s really important that you explore all options. As Zoe says, it is your body and the mental side of BC is as tough as the physical side.

I had a reconstruction with an implant when I had my mastectomy 4 years ago, so of course I’d be happy to discuss that but I’m not sure my experience will help at all. But I’d see what the plastic surgeon has to say, as he may offer different advice to your original surgeon. If I can help or chat please do ask. I wish you all the best as you go forward and hope that someone else will be along to chat. Have you searched the forum to see if anyone has posted a similar question before? The search box is just above this chat, but do make sure you search the whole forum not just “this board”. Evie xx