63422members
333741posts
cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

Surgery December 2018

Re: Surgery December 2018

@crochet addict Good luck to you tomorrow, too. I hope you get good news.

Maggs and Beckitt will be thinking of you tomorrow and wishing you both have a speedy recovery xx 

Essex girl great news your recovering well xx

MrsG1962 hoping your drains are out very soon xx

I get my op results in the morning, fingers and everything else crossed they got the margins x

Thank you all for your support and for all to have a happy and healthy new year xxxx

Good luck for tomorrow ladies x

Magsv good luck tomorrow.x

Mags v and Beckett just wanted to let you both know I’m thinking of you both as you prepare for tomorrow, here’s to a swift recovery for both of you and a much better 2019 for all of us. Stay strong ladies xx Melanie ( p.s. day 23 and still got my drains in, I’m sure they are now a permanent fixture πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ ) 

Hi all, just popped in to send good wishes to Magsv and Beckett, wishing you both a speedy recovery, and to say many thanks for the kind wishes and support I have had over the last few weeks.  I am still sore, still sad, but very relieved that I don't have to have more surgery.  Onwards and Upwards ladies!!!  XXXXX

@Magsv Fingers crossed that you are in good shape for tomorrow. And @Magsv and @Beckett Here's to swift, nimble, and precise surgeon's hands -- and a swifter still recovery! πŸ’•

Thanks for the advice Feenix and Reddi πŸ‘Think I'm all set now for tomorrow. Only worry is that I've now caught the cold the grandchildren brought with them during their Christmas stay πŸ‘ŽπŸ˜·. Praying it doesn't get any worse and interfere with tomorrow's op 1🀞😳
Great news 're results essexgirly2! xx

Fantastic news! Thrilled for you essexgirly2 xx

Yay! Brilliant news.
B x

Congratulations, @essexgirly2! That is great news.

Hi reddi, thanks for starting this thread, but i don't think i will be coming on here so much now.... Smiley Wink

I saw my surgeon yesterday and he told me its good news! My nodes were clear and i require no further treatment!!!!!

My areas of DCIS were 16mm and 9mm which is way more than the 5mm and 2mm first diagnosed.  It means i made the right decision to have a mastectomy.  I would now be looking at another operation to get clear margins or mastectomy  if i had chosen to have lumpectomys. 

Thanks to all you lovely ladies who have been so supportive😘

Hi ladies,
I'm in Manchester. Had 5 months chemo which finished over 5 weeks ago. Mastectomy to right breast with full clearance. No reconstruction as I have to have radiotherapy after the op so I will have to wait.
Been a long journey xx

Hi Magsv. I had a simple mastectomy. First morning case, had one drain in and stayed overnight. Pleased I did as bp was on low side. I remember not drinking much the day before op so that may have been a factor ... so drink plenty and remain well hydrated day before you have op. My drain was in overnight only. I managed fine overnight, up with no probs, had paracetamol and ibuprofen only, although offered oromorph. I took wipes with me for freshening up, mints, small snacks and mainly listened to radio although did manage to read a bit before nodding off. Was out to shops on day of discharge. I hope everything goes well. Feenix Xx

Reddi, oh deep joy a little something else to look forward to πŸ˜‚. My surgeon puts the drains to come out by your belly button ( consequently I can only wear leggings ) but she is adamant feeding them through such a long distance significantly reduces the chances of infection. She’s so totally amazing I’m not going to argue but she did suggest I have them both out at the same time, I suspect that’s because if I had one out I wouldn’t go back for the other ! The one from the sentinel node has been ready to come out for a few days so just waiting on the one from the reconstruction now. I’m hopefull for early next week. I’ve had no pain at all from the mastectomy or reconstruction but the drains are so uncomfortable I’m hoping any amount of pain will be worth it to see them gone. Two days after they come out I can shower, cannot wait. Hope you’re still doing ok xx Melanie 

Hi Essex girlie fingers firmly crossed for your results tomorrow, I’m on the south coast too at least we are in a beautiful part of the world xx

@MrsG1962 Wow! I hope your drains come out very, very soon -- no 6 weeks for you. Definitely take some paracetamol beforehand; when I say "some tugging" -- it hurt. My BCN kept checking that there weren't still stitches holding the tube in place. But of course, the pain passes.

Thanks for the top tip Reddi, my drains have been in since 7th and no sign of them coming out yet. One is still collecting 60ml per day and I need two days below 20ml before they will take them out. They are uncomfortable today so I’ve changed the dressing and the exit site for both looks swollen and sore so I’ve left a message for my bcn to see if I should start my emergency anti-biotics. I am concerned that after 20+ days they are going to be β€œchallenging” to get out. They did warn me one lady had hers in for 6 weeks ! Really miss showering, allergic to waterproof dressings so can’t get the drain site wet, but a dab hand at a strip down wash and hair wash now. Small price to pay I know but it does get you down sometimes doesn’t it. Hey ho onwards and upwards

@krcrayer Oh, just realized that you had your drains in for 16 days (assuming they came out yesterday). How'd it go? 

I'm amazed that you were able to shower with your drain bags in; I found it too unwieldy, so I've just been hand-washing at the sink, and washing my hair at the sink, too.

Like you, I've been going a bit stir-crazy in the first couple weeks after surgery/reconstruction, with the drain in. Through all 7 courses of chemotherapy, I managed to get out for walks on at least my two "good" weekends, trying to hit 10 miles one day if I could. The drain bag and soreness and stiffness and other complications have made that impossible, and I'm so looking forward to getting out this weekend. I had to stop antibiotics early as I got a fever and then -- in the realm of "other complications" -- days of diarrhea (sorry to the squeamish). Waiting to hear from the hospital lab about whether some C. difficile bacteria is lurking in my gut or I've become ultra sensitive to penicillin. 

Hi @Trixielady! Good luck today.

@Beckett and @Magsv I hope our NYE'ers have some nice plans for tomorrow or Saturday. My OH took me out for a lovely kebab dinner the night before my surgery, insisting that I needed a big meal, including tiramisu dessert, since I wouldn't be getting any breakfast or lunch the next day. (Thankfully, I don't seem to struggle with general anesthesia.)

I've got my drain removed (mastectomy side) this morning and I feel an immense freedom: a literal burden lifted (though not off my shoulders; off my side!). Because of the surgery I had (mastectomy with immediate reconstruction with a prepectoral implant), my drain was in for 14 days -- longer than many, from what I've read elsewhere -- and my body was starting to heal around it, so it took some tugging to get the tube out. 😲 For others getting a drain out in the future, I'd suggest taking a paracetamol or two beforehand, just in case. 

Hi Trixielady, and welcome,  I hope all goes well for you today.

I had a DCIS diagnosis at the end of October and had a mastectomy on 7th December. I get my SNB results tomorrow.

I am on the south coast of England.

Morning Beck's , hope your ok , I'm still just finding out how to use this forum , I had mastectomy in November & lymph node clearance 13 December I get my results today , when are you booked in for surgery ? What are you having done & where abouts because what I've been reading depends on what part of the country you live , best wishes xx

Thanks ladies.
Yes, quiet today so time to think. Need to keep busy.
Enjoy your Christmas ladies!
Becks xx

I know the feeling Becks! Manchester family staying with us until 28th though .. so plenty of grandkids running around. It'll hit me more when they're gone. Although it'll take us until the 31st to clear up after them πŸ˜…

Hi @Beckett The waiting can be the hardest part. You'll get there, and to the other side! And til then, there are 12 days of Christmas -- I keep looking for things to celebrate, and there are lots of little excuses right now. Heart 

Hi all,
Beginning to get sad about my surgery now Christmas is almost done. This time next week it'll be done.

Becks x

Hi ladies. I had my surgery yesterday and don’t feel too bad really - just a bit battered and bruised! Only had a general twice (now and for a SNB in sept) but still find it nerve-wracking when they put you under and you wonder if you’ll wake up again!). Was home by 6pm - WLE and flap. No drains, just a dressing to keep on for a week. Not a great nights sleep as my mind was racing and I couldn’t get comfy as I usually sleep on my front or my left side which were just not possible. But at least I can rest up today as hubby can manage the house and kids. All my Christmas shopping done and presents wrapped as I wanted to be sorted before my op.

My surgery was on the 10th and I went home the same day. I was nervous about it, but all in all it was fine. My bed was more comfortable and the familiar surroundings were comforting. I had a chest block for pain and mostly just slept.

I had surgery on December 10th. Bilateral masectomy with expanders. I am 11 days out and doing pretty good. I still have drains. They will be removed next week on the 26th. There is a lot of soreness in my chest and under my arms. I am still on antibiotics, but just using acetaminophren and ibuprofen for pain. I am normallly a very active person, I teach 3rd grade and am used to a lot of moving around and it has been hard staying quiet. The first week was tough. I mostly slept, and took drugs, but now I am much better. I am able to shower and do my hair, put on my clothes and get around pretty well. Other than the achy chest where the stitches are and the expanders are I feel pretty good.

Thanks all for the replies. It seems like everyone's experience is very unique. I'm hoping mine is like yours Chocxie7 - I've got a thing about hospitals! Mine is a simple mastectomy without the need for SNB as this has already been done. But I do understand the benefits of staying in overnight if necessary.

When I had my first lumpectomy 3 years ago, I was desperate to go home the same day. I had a bit of a reaction to the anaesthetic, though, and was sick a few times. My blood pressure was also through the roof so when the surgeon visited post op he advised me to stay in overnight. It wasn't nearly as bad as I'd imagined (ours is quite a new hospital so 24 hour surgery cases are allocated a single en-suite room).

After the second one, in October this year, they were rushing me out the door :-)

I don't know if the 'no drain' thing is to do with smaller breast size? When I spoke to the BCN she said that drains are no longer fitted routinely in our hospital anyway? I also telephoned the GP Community Nurses to let them know the date of the operation, as (in Scotland) New Year is a big holiday. She said I wouldn't get a visit until the Thursday (ops on the Monday), but if there's any leakage I should phone their number or NHS24 for advice.

Long post - but maybe it'll clear my mind so that I can concentrate on a lovely (busy!) family Christmas season (been awake since 4am with op fears going round my head!). The house will be very full with children and grandchildren staying over from 23rd until the 28th .... I'm sure to sleep then. Ha ha!

Magsx

Hi Mags,
Just popping in to say that I had my mx as day surgery. I had to be at the hospital at 8am, but didn't go to theatre until 12.30pm. I woke up at just after 3pm and I was home by 6pm, no drains required as no immediate reconstruction, but I didn't know this until I awoke.

Hi Magsv
I'm in 31st too and also changed from 12.30 to 7.30. In my meeting with bn I asked to be kept in over night. Not for me but so my kids didn't have to worry about me. Mastectomy for me. At least I'll lose some weight after surgery! πŸ˜‰ha
Becks x

Mags, I very much doubt you'll be out the same day.
Had a mastectomy dec 12th, they changed my time from half one to half seven, i was first in at 08/45. woke up at half one, was totally spaced until the evening thanks to the drugs I ws full of.
Kept in overight, obs were done every hour [low blood pressure thanks to surgery and drugs], so don't expect a lot of sleep.
Discharged next day although was given the option to stay in another day if I wanted [ kind of did, kind of didn't] but I went home. Took about 4 hours from thm telling me I could go home to actually going home thanks to waiting for various prescriptions, comfies, instructions about drains etc.
I know it's NYE but honestly, you're not going to be in much of state to do anything.

Hi Magsv like reddi i was in at 7.30 and first on the list.  I felt great afterwards but then I was full of morphine!   My surgeon told me i would stay in one or two nights.  I stayed for 2, i felt happier that i was being checked regularly, went home Sunday, late morning.   I wouldn't worry about less staff being on, i am sure you will be well cared for. All the best.x

Thanks reddi πŸ‘. I had 2xWLE plus sentinel nodes removed in October this year. It was an afternoon surgery (a bit of a blur as I spent the morning from 9am having dye inserted and wires put in place - but I think I went into theatre at about 3.30pm) and was home by 7pm. Your op sounds a lot more complicated than the simple mastectomy I'm going to have. I'm thinking that because of the time of year (hogmanay) there might fewer staff on and they'll be keener than usual to send folk home? I suppose it'll depend on reaction post op? xx

@Magsv As a point of reference, I had a 7:30am report time to hospital, and was the first patient rolled into my theatre, some time shortly after 9am. I woke up in recovery a little after 1pm -- and I had a WLE on the left breast and a mastectomy with immediate (implant) reconstruction on the right breast. They wanted me in overnight for observation and IV antibiotics -- but that might be because of the reconstruction, specifically. They discharged me at 4pm the next day, and they seemed eager to get me out earlier, if possible, but I had to wait for my blood test results and for the pharmacy to deliver my discharge meds.

Just been reading up on the December surgeries πŸ‘πŸ˜Š. Mine isn't until the 31st. My surgery time has been changed from afternoon to morning. I was told I would be in overnight after a mastectomy. I'm wondering/hoping if the change of op time means I might be home same day? Fingers crossed 🀞
Mags x

Willowherb so pleased for you that your 2nd re-excision worked, wishing you all the best with your radiotherapy xxxx
Highlighted

Hi Pulapula,

Wishing you all the best for Friday and you have a speedy recovery, it must be a relief knowing you do not need a drain. Keeping my fingers crossed for your results on the 7th.

I have recovered well and went back to work today, I'm self employed in retail so I can still take it easy in a way. I get my results New years Eve !!

Thoughts are with everyone else in this thread and really hope you are all doing well and are able to have a lovely Christmas xxxx

Hi all,

So I finally decided today on what surgery I'm having on Friday! Decided on a WLE with reconstruction on advice of surgeon (and BCN). Should just be in for the day and no drain :-) Find out the results on 7 Jan - really hope I don't need more chemo - i'm on a trial and it is a possibility!!!

Hope everyone who's had surgery is recovering well and not in too much discomfort.

Hello Crochet - so pleased that you have had your op. Hope you are no longer feeling post-op like

Fortunately I am not joinging this thread in my own right as my 2nd re-excision worked! so moving to radio and hormone therapy. Great start to Christmas.

Best wishes to all  who have had or will be having surgery this month

Great news you are home Reddi, wishing you a speedy recoveryxxx

Thank you everyone for your support and advice through these rollercoaster of emotions. xxx

Reddi that’s great news. Great to hear you’re doing ok too crochet addict xx

Discharged home! 😴

Thank you for all advice on what to take i did take a dressing gown and slippers which i was thankfull for as i had to walk down 2 flights of stairs and a very long corridor do get my wire inserted before op. I am well stocked up on crop top bra's on the advice of my 72 year old mother who had breast cancer 2 years ago, they are brilliant especially for sleeping.

The op went well  and was home by tea time, recovering well. I was surprised the nurse gave me codiene and paracetamol and told me to take 2 of both 3 times a day....in relation to everyone elses ops mine was wle and have coped with just paracetamol so far.

Have a 2 maybe 3 week wait for results now due to christmas & new year...trying to concentrate on christmas now and not results as it's my daughters 30th birthday on christmas eve as well

MrsG1962 thank you and my thoughts are with you and your recovery. x

Essexgirly2 sending you big hugs, keep strong and talk lots you will get through this xxx

Reddi hope you are home now and sleeping better and healing xxx

Willowherb thoughts are with you and yor treatment and thankyou for your advice xxx

Just wanted to pop on from May thread and wish you all a good recovery, for those who’ve had ops and for those who are waiting. Good to see you are through the other side of surgery Reddi.

hugs to all

xx

Good morning Reddi, sorry to hear you had such a disturbed night. Must admit I didn’t sleep that first night as it seemed every two seconds the nurses were checking something or I was taking more tablets. Hopefully you’ll be home soon.

im off to see the BCN again today, my named nurse is at a wedding so seeing one of the others - I didn’t think there was anyone left in Dorset who hadn’t seen my boobs but it seems there is afterall.

Essex Grilie hope you’re feeling a bit better, the farting for England comment did make me laugh. The amount of gas I suspect they used to get my drains in that could have been me 😊. 

Crochet addict hope you’re doing ok today, onwards and upwards 

have the best day you can possibly have ladies, stay strong xx Melanie 

"Farting for England" is my new fave phrase. (American expat, so it's new to me!)

Oh dear Reddi, I didn't sleep at all in hospital, there was one old lady snoring like a steam train and one next to me farting for England all night, there's nothing like your own bed, you'll soon be there! X