cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surgery February 2021

74 REPLIES 74
noodledoodle

Re: Surgery February 2021

We will have to get an April chemo thread going. I will be having chemo, but don’t have a date yet but will be April sometime. Oh the Joys!!!

pips88

Hi guys.

@yjj yes! Glad you got your chair. Bet it looks lovely! 

Totally agree with the covid talk. Was ballsed up from day one! 

Hope to get my scan results Tuesday and start chemo 12th. 

Hope your all well loves xxx

UmLydia

Yjj thanks so much for expressing that. I agree 100%. It is not just UK that created the monumental F up though, it is the same in most Western democracies. I live in France and I am half Spanish and it is exactly the same situation in France and Spain as UK. Its been making me mad and furious too. At least you don't have compulsory face masks in UK. It is like living in a science fiction movie seeing masked zombies everywhere. 

I feel lucky too my cancer hospital is great, on Friday I went for first radiotherapy session and then my three weekly targeted therapy cos I am HER 2 positive, and the psychologist just popped in to see how I was doing. Little things like that make such a difference. Also they haven't cancelled our keep fit classes despite France going into lockdown and closing schools again. For me these keep fit classes (inside the hospital) are a life saver. Usually I live too far from the hospital to go regularly. 

Ha ha we both passionate antilockdowner "conspirathists" 😂😂😂in love with our surgeons. 

So glad you don't need chemo though. It messes your body up. It's nasty stuff better to avoid it if you can. 

yjj

I second noodle, you look fabulous, v cool and v don’t F@?k with me!! I have to google Masumi headwear now...

I agree wholeheartedly about Covid. In the Uk I think the govn have created a monumental F up. They screwed the economy, wrecked lives and created a massive mental health issue, knackered education and school kids welfare. It scares me that laws have been passed without going through parliament and normal process. I’m not a conspirathist (is that a word??) at all but I think this is one humongous error that BJ couldn’t reverse out of. How many cancer patients who don’t even know yet will die as they couldn’t access diagnostic services - breast cancer especially. It makes me sad and furious and insignificant in my ability to do anything about it. Anyway apologies for the political rant....v unlike me!! I blame Lydia for lighting the blue touch paper 😂

I didn’t have chemo, my cancer type and testing deemed it “unnecessary” given the potential benefit over the obvious body trauma. Tbh, I’d have rather had it as an extra security against possible recurrence. I find This is a mentally exhausting disease, some days I’m my bouncy normal self and some days I’m holey moley CANCER awful. Every time I go to my cancer hospital ( which I’m so bloody lucky to have) it’s a stark reminder of the disease and my being a part of it. I know I’m v v lucky, despite falling in love with my surgeon who is unavailable 😂🤣😂🤣, I’m so bloody lucky.  Anyways ladies, I’m rambling and boring so I’m going. Have lovely Easters beauties xxx

UmLydia

I ended up not wearing my wig it doesn't feel natural, plus I didn't want to hide the fact that I was going through chemo, the opposite actually I wanted it in everyone's face. All the covid hysteria makes me mad to be honest, imagine if they gave cancer as much prominence in the news. So I decided to buy  a few basic chemo caps because they are very comfortable (I like masumi headwear) then bought loads of inexpensive pretty scarves to change my look. 

I didn't find it too upsetting to lose my hair, but it is taking ages to grow back.... I lost it in October. 

Hugs!!!!

noodledoodle

Loving the headscarf. What a gorgeous colour. You look Fab! Hope I look as good when my hair goes🙈

noodledoodle

Loving the headscarf. What a gorgeous colour. You look Fab! Hope I look as good when my hair goes🙈

UmLydia

Hello yjj

Thanks so much for the yoga link that is exactly what I need. We are locked down from tomorrow in France schools closed, so I need things like that not to lose my sanity!! Thank goodness the schools were open when I was under chemo. 

Have been enjoying the sun going out a lot it's been great this week. Cording is better, my chest feels tight but I sup pose that is normal. See how the radiotherapy affects scar then... I agree the tattoos even if they are tiny are one more kind of violation of our bodies. I am breastless, bald with ugly white hair growing back in patches and normal now geometrical points on my chest !!! But who cares I am alive and feeling good. We have to wear masks every time we leave the house in France, 130 euros fine if not, so if I wear my sunglasses I look kind of weird:

20210401_133830.jpg

 Crazy! 

Glad your operation went well doodle!! Take lots of time to recover and pamper yourself. We deserve all the sympathy we can get!

noodledoodle

tattoos not ratios!!!

yjj

@UmLydia hey you, hope you got the link ok. Is it today you start RT? My hospital said bio oil is ok to use... using it on my scars but need a moisturiser too Aveeno is what they suggested

have a good weekend even if you’re trogging back and forth for zapping!! Xx

yjj

Hey noodle x so glad surgery is over, it’s such a relief isn’t it?! I still have a smurf nipple...that points decidedly west, from first op at start of jan!  I think there are 3 tattoos for everyone, one each side on top ribs and one central, just black full stops or freckles.  I had a minor freak out as I get kinda claustrophobic about things outside my control... tattoos, cancer...🤣🤣..lifts, toilet doors etc etc (nutter)

take all the sympathy you can and rest when you need to. But I do recommend doing the physio as often as you can. The next bit of waiting on path results is I think the worst bit. But patience is not a key skill!!

enjoy Easter weekend, hope you get extra spoilt!!

xx

noodledoodle

@yjj 

Surgery went well thanks. Feel much better than I anticipated, just tired from anaesthetic but getting plenty of rest and playing on the sympathy vote😂😂

results in 2 weeks but as I am triple negative, I will be having chemo and radiotherapy too...oh joy! Still first hurdle over with now. 
I had no idea the ratios were permanent either!! Already have a smurf tit from the sentinel node. I am imagining what it will look like now! 

yjj

Oh Lydia btw, I’m not sure of the reality behind this but my surgeon said the best thing for scarring is radiation.... guess time will tell!! X

yjj

Hi

https://vickyfox-yoga.com/

here is the link .. I liked the leaning on the chair one, really good stretch. I’ve still got cording and burning in my armpit  ... are you going to be okay with arms over head for RT?  It’s not my armpit that hurts for this it’s my scar under my boob pulling upwards. Not sure how the MX scar works or feels

i found the planning session for the RT quite tiring and stressful as you are in there for quite a while. And my other shocker was that the planning tattoos are permanent!! I mean they’re not dragons but still permanent. I stupidly thought they would fade... durr

a pips / hope you are okay too, no dates yet?

@Guest user hope surgery went well and next big step on the crappy thorny dark road in bare feet is done!! 

RT over the bank hol ... who knew?! 
onwards and upwards girls - I’m deffo having some filler and Botox when this is over 🤣🤣

yjj_0-1617295323786.png

UmLydia

Hi Yvette

Would be great if you have time to send yoga for cording links. I started doing sun salutations but then it seemed to slightly reopen my masectomy scar, either that or the massage I tried to do on the scar. In any case I stopped all streches and touching scar until it has properly healed. Also I start radiotherapy on Friday for five weeks. The scar is unsightly and radiotherapy isn't going to help. 

The cording in my arm is better but armpitt still weird. I will have physiotherapy but they were all booked until May in my area so waiting to start

Are you glad to be back at work? I am off for nearly a whole year. I won't go back until September. 

Pips how are you? Thinking about you and your scan. Sending hugs. 

Noodledoole good luck for your surgery. Hope everything goes well. 

noodledoodle

Thanks Yvette

I agree about the adverts. Plus it’s like being on a diet and seeing food everywhere, as soon as you have a cancer diagnosis, it’s everywhere!!

just packed my bags for tomorrow and feel better now it’s so close. All the waiting is so shit!

will let you know how I get on xx

yjj

Hey noodle - good luck hen. I had the same op for an 28mm invasive plus 32mm of DCIS. Had to have a second go as margins were crap but that’s more unusual

I too felt like running for the hills so you’re v much not alone in that thought. It’s a very traumatic time and don’t feel bad for feeling crap. I do think we slowly adjust and get more used to this rubbish time. I’m now furious about the cancer adverts on the telly being so gloom and doom as many cancers are very treatable but the media drives so much negativity. It makes me mad and it doesn’t help us who are recently diagnosed 

put your posi pants on girl, you can do this xx

lots of love

yvette

yjj

Hi All - sorry not posted for a while, went back to work and got swamped!! RT starts today for 3 weeks so on half days for a bit now. Just back from dental review before I start the bisphosphonate 

@UmLydia I have a link somewhere for bc yoga, will hunt it out it as it had great cording exercises.  I have cording in armpit and also have an odd extra muscle which is now hard and distorted after surgery and somewhat unsightly  who knew you could get an unsightly armpit?! 😬

@pips when do you get your scan and results for your nodule? I had one on my liver which turned out okay but the waiting is dire..as we know!

good luck to everyone else starting the surgical journey  I def second staying on top of meds for pain relief  I had 3 surgeries and am only just turning in sleep without waking up... but t does get better but needs patience and much humour IMO  my humour and patience has been pants!!

much love xx

ps pips I bought the pink velvet chair 🤪

noodledoodle

Hi pips88

Glad you have had your op and recovering. Thanks for the tips. I am having my surgery tomorrow. I feel okay about it now. Have good days and very negative days. I will just be glad to get the tumour out!

will let you know how I get on. 
take care and make sure everybody spoils you!😘

pips88

@noodledoodle @Have you had your surgery yet? 

Mine went really well and recovery seemed ok. Keep up with your paracetamol every four hours for the first week after, that definitely helps. 

I ended up sleeping on a recliner for the first week because I found it easier than laying flat but plenty of pillows will help. 

Hope your well and looking after yourself!

Pip xx

pips88

@UmLydia @thanks for your reply! 

Ugh I’m sorry you can’t get a physio. How frustrating. I’ve found it really helpful as they did a massage on the are which was made a huge difference to the tightness. My physio recommended The Breast Cancer Physio. She makes videos on you tube all about treating your cording. Worth checking out. 

Have you started radiotherapy yet? Hope your well. 

Hope everyone else is doing well and keeping spirits up xxx

noodledoodle

Hi Pip

hope your surgery went well. My tumour is also grade 3 and due for wide local excision with sentinel node biopsy at end of this month. Will also be having chemotherapy and radiotherapy. 
I too am very scared and feel like running for the hills, but don’t think that would do us much good!

I hope you are recovering well. I am having a Magseed inserted tomorrow. My tumour is 18mm too, at the minute so very similar!

let me know any tips for surgery recovery and take care xx

UmLydia

Hello Pips

Nice to hear from you! Let me know what they say about being triple positive. My oncologist said I was lucky to be HER 2 positive because they can treat it successfully with herceptin. It's a kind of miracle drug for us.  But when I looked it up it said HER 2 is more agressive and thanks to herceptin we have similar outcomes to other hormone positive cancers. 

I think they try to cheer me up by putting a spin and making the news seem good. But i cope better if they are really honest. 

I had my pathology results. Residual cancer in breast so I am having a new version of herceptin with chemotherapy added (Kadcycla), but targeted chemo this time. It's to improve survival chances and like you I feel lucky I think my cancer hospital are being fantastic. 

I have appointment tomorrow to prepare for radiotherapy.

I found it hard to find a physiotherapist for cording, they are all overbooked where I live... will have to wait a bit until one becomes available. I am stretching and even doing some yoga while waiting for appointment. What do they do in physio to help?

Sounds tough waiting for CT scan.

Sending hugs!!!!!

pips88

@UmLydia @Thank you for your info ! Definitely helps to know what to expect. 

Heard from my BC nurse today and my HR2 finally came back and it’s positive. So I’m triple positive. Will find out what this means for me on Monday at my oncology appointment. Friday I’m seeing a physio for my cording. And 27th I’ve got a CT scan for my lung nodule. I think that’s the one I’m most worried about.

I have to say, my hospital have been amazing , I feel very lucky. 

Hows everyone doing? 

Hope you are all well. 

Pips xx

UmLydia

My first oncology appointment she explained lots of things that I didn't understand. Then they sent me to a nurse to explain everything again. And when I had the operation to put the box under my skin they sent yet another nurse to check I had understood everything.... 

I did end up understanding!! It was a lot of information to take in. 

What was tricky was all the different medicines I could take for all the different side effects i might have. All the anti nausea drugs, antifungal washes, mouth washes... and injections after chemo to boost immune system, what to do if you have a fever... 

It's a strange time. The monthly chemo groups are really great. They helped a lot. 

pips88

@UmLydia My cancer was grade 3 so they normally look at chemo for that grade I’m told, and also because of my age, to give me as many years as possible.

My bc nurse thinks it will be FEC-T but I’ve got an oncology appointment 22nd March so I guess I’ll find out then? What do they actually do at the first oncology appointment?

Hope you’ve all had a great weekend 

Pips xx

yjj

🤣🤣🤣

caroly21

It made me laugh too! I was looking for the “sh1te” box!

UmLydia

HI everyone

Pips great news, so pleased to hear that your margins are clear!!

The cording is a pain hopefully we will get rid of it soon. Mine is already a bit better even without physio I try and stretch a lot. 

I already had chemo. Do you know what type you will be having? Why do you need it if lymph nodes were clear? I had two of epirubicin EC that didn't work- the tumour didn't reduce in size. Then four rounds of docetaxel and herceptin that did reduce the tumour a lot before surgery. 

I had some spectacular side effects including one night vomiting non stop (EC); feeling like an 80 year old unable to walk up the stairs cos of joint and back pain (docetaxel), a few trips to ER with fever, and obviously hair loss and tiredness. But globally it wasn't too bad, there were always periods when i recovered and had almost normal energy levels. I walked all the way through chemo,  almost every day and  even did some exercise classes at the hospital (muscle building- a first!). That helped with the tiredness bizarrely. 

They can always adjust the chemo if your side effects are too strong... you get lots of support. Every time I had a treatment the side effects were very different. 

Yjj I love the way you express that- in a kind of trance... it's exactly how I feel. 

I went out shopping again this morning to a big second hand warehouse-bought SO MANY clothes... I spent the last ten years not bothering at all about how I look what with kids and breastfeeding etc etc. And you cut my breast off and all of a sudden i'm back to wanting to look feminine and attractive. Like a second adolescence... I suppose it makes sense. I'm so glad I can wear normal clothes with the fake boob and nobody would be able to tell. Not much to dress up for at the moment what with covid and being off work, at least spring is coming. We have to wear face masks every where in France, outside inside... apart from at home. 

Caroly I woke up in tears too... out of control. True they must be so used to it.

Hope you all having a good weekend!! 

yjj

@pips88 @Woo hoo excellent news!! So chuffed for you. No chemo for me just radiation and Letrozole, onco appt on tues

surgeon not handsome... but v lovely and has me in some kind of awesome trance 🤣v upbeat and positive which is what I needed as I was such a mushy mess!!

let us know what your next steps are and when chemo actually starts. I thought I might have to have it so did some research and it seems okay for most folk. Tough but mana gage able and I’m sure you will whack through it xx

@caro lol, I had 3 surgeries- tears before all and woke up uncontrollably sobbing just once. Like you say it must be a daily occurrence- kind of makes me want to be an anaesthetic nurse so I can be kind and understanding!!

re health and census - that made me laugh I don’t know if it was supposed to?! Slightly worse than average maybe??!?! Stupid question to have on there as the responses will be so wildly different and v subjective. Mine arrived today but not opened it yet!!!

hope everyone else has nice weekends, talk soon xx

caroly21

I’m trying to complete my census form - how do you respond to the question “How is your health in general “ ? Answers range from very good to very bad.....

caroly21

Hi yjj - you got knocked out in tears, I woke up in tears! They must be used to it...

pips88

@UmLydia @yjj Im good thanks ladies. 

I’ve had some good news and my margins and lymph nodes are both clear! Huge relief! 

I do try and stay positive, and my diagnosis is as good as can be hoped for so I’m grateful for that. 

Although, I too have developed the dreaded cording, and now feel slightly sick at the idea of it popping 😂 My BC nurse has referred me to physio so I hope to get it sorted ASAP. 

My next plan is starting chemotherapy in about four weeks. Are any of you ladies having chemo?

I feel a bit jealous you have attractive surgeons. Mines lovely but she’s not my type. 

I love the idea of a pink velvet chair in the bedroom 😍 We are completing a barn conversion at the minute and I need (definitely need 😂) to find a nice chair for the bedroom. It will be my little reading nook when the husband is driving me nuts. 

Hope everyone is well and in good spirits. Hugs to all

Pips xxx

UmLydia

Yjj that is such a relief!! I am not the only one with teeny weeny crush on surgeon 😂😂. I would never have admit that on my own-it seems so wrong! Plus he chopped my breast off!!! Ha ha But he was just so reassuring, warm and calm the first time I saw him. He looked me in the eyes (unfortunately we were both wearing face masks so facial expression very limited) and he really did transmit a lot of compassion and warmth. I felt so relieved and able to trust him.  Apparently all the women love him in the hospital. What a fan club of bald, needy, mutilated terrified women! Yours sounds lovely too. I used to live in Manchester I love northerners. Mine is French/ Portuguese and seems humble too. Even if he does dedramatise his masectomies a bit much. 

Thanks a lot for advice on yoga or BC. Will definitely look that up. Will get cord thingy to pop then!! 

Your bedroom sounds lovely hope you get right pink colour for chair. I hate online shopping. You will be unlocked soon hopefully and then in France it will our turn to be under house arrest again...

Hope you are OK pips. 

Hugs to letalightin 

yjj

Hi Um in France x glad you are feeling better and on the road to recovery! Shopping for tops, get you 🥰 well done girl.  No such jaunts here unless it's the supermarket or Boots!! I've had a recent desperate need for the lovely Itslian soap they sell in TK Maxx....but that's a no go till Boris tells us shops can open and we can go out. Dove will have to do in the meantime!! I also need (v much need...not want 😂) a pink velvet chair for my bedroom but that will have to be online and chancing the colour is right

Your surgeon sounds lovely.  I think its fab when they are positive and grounded.  Mine is a positive peter and very humble and northern, I think I might be a teeny bit infatuated..🤣🤣

The tight channel is called cording here.  I have one in my armpit but I'm stretching more and more.  Apparently they Pop like a rubber band!  Someone recommended Vicky fox on Instagram- yoga for BC and some really good stretches in there

@Letalightin, you've gone very quiet madam - hope you are okay? We are here to support and listen and push you along this ride if you want.  Please ping back on if you want to rant or cry or anything.  We have all been there x

@pips hope you are okay too, stupid phone wont let me scroll back! Hope you were able to enjoy those few beautiful spring days before it went back to winter!!

Sorry if I missed people off this mail but am thinking of everyone and wishing all better brighter days xx

UmLydia

Letalightin how are you? Are you recovering after the axiliary clearance? I hope you are starting to feel a bit better. We don't know how important the lymph nodes are until the surgeon takes them out. 

I went to see the nurse today because my arm is all painful with a kind of stiff node running down from armpit down to elbow. It's getting worse not better. But the nurse said it is normal and I will have physiotherapy to help drain it. The lymph canals are all blocked like a traffic jam she said. I didnt even know they existed before this. 

The surgeon had been like: this is no big deal, I'm just going to chop your breast off (which surgically is very simple for us) and you'll recover so fast we are going to send you home on same day. I believed him. Still, early days... 

Today I actually went shopping and got myself some new tops. Nice tight tops, my usual style. I am looking forward to getting my silicone prothesis when scar heals and new bras. I'm really glad I can still wear the same style of clothes and be me. Usually i'm not that bothered about my appearance but I suppose it's a good sign of mental health that I can be bothered to go shopping during all of this. 

How are you doing Pipps? You are so young to be going through this... hugs!!! You always sound so positive and brave. 

Hugs hope everyone is recovering 

pips88

@Letalightin 

Everyone has given fantastic advice. How are you feeling? 

There are so many amazing charities that support breast cancer patients, and one might have just the kind of support you need right now. I know breast cancer haven offer a talking therapy service, and Penny Brohn offer lots, I think they do 1:1 but also group sessions. I’ve signed up for a few of them including, QiGong and acupressure. So have a look , I hope one of them has something you could find helpful. 

UmLydia

Hi Aileen

I think we are all self obsessed, our lives have suddenly become in danger from a really horrible disease. And covid on top so we don't always have our support networks and are made to feel guilty just for seeing people close to us. 

It is a lot to handle... I have had loads of support from family and friends. Plus I live in France where people are less freaked out by covid so I actually do have a social life with close friends. It has been so important to me. What keeps me sane and strong. If I were isolated it would have been so hard and I would have found it very difficult to cope. 

In a way it's fantastic they only found cancer in two of your nodes. They couldn't have known could they... and it would have been so much worse if they had left the nodes and cancer had spread. 

When I read that your tumours are measured in millimetres it makes me scared, mine was a massive 7 cm. I just hope my pathology reports come back ok for lymph nodes. I've no idea how many they took out. Will find out next week...

I think it's normal to be upset and the last thing you want to do is force yourself to feel positive if you don't. Let it out, cry, scream, feel angry.... it's terrible to be isolated at a time like this. Sending you hugs and keep on posting!!! 

Susanmanchester that's so so unfair to get lymphodema on top of everything else. I would find that very hard I am a musician and I use my arms to play... I can deal with having just one breast but not with having limited arm mobility.  I hope that they have it under control and it doesn't upset your life too much. Like you say at least we are here to moan. But it is tough. Hugs!! Thanks for posting. 

yjj

Hello Aileen x welcome to the forum though I’m sure you’d rather not be here!! You will find great support and even a few giggles on here so keep posting

please don’t feel bad for feeling so woeful - this is scary stuff and most of us have felt truly rubbish. I was a total wreck for weeks and I mean a total wreck, couldn’t string a sentence together without dissolving into a teary, panicky mush. Like you, I share my kids with their dad and I held it together when they were with me but I found my patience and parenting lacking as all I could think about was cancer and frankly dying from it. At the time I doubted anyone could be as anxious, panicky, angry, sad or frightened as I was but it turns out others are pretty much the same!! It’s a hell of a roller coaster but we have to strap in and ride it out. 
what type of cancer do you have - hormone positive or negative and Her2 pos/neg?
I had full axilla clearance and also had 2/21 nodes involved - they’re removed now as are yours and your tumour is removed as well - if your pathology comes back clear (good margins) then you have made the first mahoosive  step to kicking its a&se!  Well done xx

Few things which might help:

lymph nodes are friends - they catch nasties for us, ours were doing their jobs. Sure it would be better if they were clear but ours weren’t and now they are out of our bodies and so are the cells they caught for us

Your tumour is out - fab!!

Of course you feel emotional and frightened - that’s v v v v v normal. It’s life changing and it’s scary BUT many BC are v v treatable and many people with BC lead happy, normal, long lives after this

ive been using Smiling Minds, it’s a free app for meditation, relaxing and switching off the inner negative nag. I normally hate these but I found this one really helped me for panicky moments

For lots and lots of women this does get better as we adapt and accept the nonsense of this cra&&y disease 

v much like you, for me this was that damn straw that destroyed the camels back!! It’s a long journey but it also gives time for reflection and has taught me to be more patient (v impatient redhead here). The waiting on results is I think the v worst part as it’s uncertainty and that little negative elf in our heads is having a field day chipping away constantly with his negative blather. You can’t shut him up completely but you can turn him down and give your head a break by using some of the exercises on the app, or doing something else - baking, puzzles, reading. Get outside and walk, notice all the 5 senses. It just gives your mind a few moments of blissful peace

blimey I’ve rattled on, sorry xx your post touched me as I was in the v same position for a few months and I know how rubbish I felt too. If it doesn’t improve, please ask about support from your team as oncophyschology services are available too

ping me anytime you want to chat. You’ve got this lady, put your positive pants on and kick it!!

lots of love, Yvette xxxxx

emarveling

@Letalightin 

Just wanted to say I’m thinking of you. 

Susanmanchester

Hi I appreciate your fed up ness. I had all lymph nodes removed and turned out only one of nodes had cells and those so microscopic counted as clear . Chemo radio and It has left me with lymphodoema and limited mobility in my right arm plus last year had a frozen shoulder . No point in wishing they had not removed them they thought it could be much more involved than it was. Had the cells not been spotted they could have proliferated and spread.... so I know it is hard to accept but hang on in there make sure you do the exercises and you will probably be OK. I walk lots it just flares up sometimes and am seeing nurse week after next. At least I am here to moan good luck x 

Letalightin

Hi @pips88 @yjj @UmLydia @emarveling and @KITT on this thread for Feb surgery. 

Just want to say thanks because it's defo helped me feel less alone to read your posts. You all seem braver and more positive than me but no doubt your struggles in private are just as hard or harder.

What's killing me right now (pardon the turn of phrase) is that I seem to have lost my ability to handle things or stay positive. I'm a mess. Not helped by the fact I sent my son to his dad's...If he was here I'd probably try harder to keep my s€&t together! But I'm just staggering from one tearfest to another at the moment, it's not great.

They spent about 6 weeks looking for my primary cause I turned up with a swollen lymph node. 2 MRIs, 2 mammograms including a 3D tomosynthesis, 2 ultrasounds. A breast biopsy showed DCIS. They spent a lot of money on me! I had an axillary clearance with partial mastectomy on the 15th, overnight stay with a drain at home for 8 days. The pathology showed a 4mm primary tumour with 2 involved lymph nodes of the 18 they removed. So I'm very very lucky. And I know some of you have much worse things to deal with. 

But I just can't stop wailing. I'm so angry they did an axillary clearance for just 2 cancerous nodes. The recovery has been so painful and exhausting. But I sound so ungrateful!!

I think loads of unresolved stuff from the past has come up and that's why I feel so sad and out of control.

Oh lads, I'm sorry for the long self-obsessed post. I've been so isolated, and I'm terrified by how emotionally out of control I feel this week.

But again, thanks for your posts, they have really helped. 

Aileen xx

pips88

@UmLydia aw I’m glad your surgery went well and you are starting to feel better. It’s amazing what they can do and send us home all in a day! I do get your anxiety around that though. I worried about everything for the first few days. 

Im 32 so the surgeon wanted to opt for breast conserving surgery first hence the therapeutic mammoplasty. Although I’m waiting to have gene testing and it’s very likely I’ll have to have a mastectomy at some point. You know sometimes you just have that inner knowing?! Tell you what though. The bloody itch around the surgical sight is driving me insane!!! Can’t wait to have a (really attractive) proper good scratch . 

Yes the waiting ting is horrible! I feel like I’m spending my days just waiting, for the next result, the next procedure, the next appointment. That seems to be the tough part for me. I’m especially anxious about the pathology results. I think knowing my cancer had already grown it’s a real possibility it’s elsewhere. But we carry on don’t we. 

This weekend I’m stuck inside doing some training online but I hope your all out enjoying this bloody marvellous weather!

hugs to all xxx

yjj

UnLydia - wow well done you. Massive step taken towards recovery and kicking cancer up the backside. I think as told non strenuous walking was okay from day one and arm exercises also from day of surgery. May be a bit different for MX but can’t imagine it would be too much difference. It seems exercise and movement are good from a DVT perspective as much as anything else! I’m finding the body brush in the shower really good and few weeks on from my axilla clearance and I can finally brush the underside of my arm a bit more vigourously!   Also still with smiling minds and so glad you found it useful too xx

fingers crossed for your pathology results and hope the wait is not too arduous. I’m waiting on onco DX results at mo to see if it’s chemo or no chemo. On the upside I’m learning to be patient and accepting of some things being outside of my control!  Slowly tho... v slowly 🧐

brilliant news for Emarvelling, what a relief you must feel. Now you you can crack on with life - so pleased for you xx

im 53 BTW but normally behave around 33 - last few months it’s been more like 93 some days 😱but the sun is shining, spring is def on its way with lighter nights and we are hopefully coming out of Covid now with the vaccines. Brighter days ahead!!

have nice weekends peeps xxx

UmLydia

Emarveling that is fantastic news, no chemo! So happy for you, what a relief that must be to be clear. 

Thanks for your messages you cheered me up.  On Wednesday the masectomy went well according to them. I was talked into being a day patient by my surgeon, who I idolise a bit. But it was brutal coming home the same day. I woke up after surgery in pain so they gave me morphine and I spent all day just zonked out and actually started crying upset because I didn't feel capable of being sent back home!!! I couldn't eat anything and i felt nauseous. But when the surgeon came round to check he said everything fantastic, take the drain out, don't eat no problem! I was sick twice in the car on the way back. So I wouldn't recommend that. It's true i was OK once back home and felt much better the next day. 

You made me laugh with frankenboob pips. I cried this morning when the nurse took the bandage off and I saw my flat chest. But she was lovely and luckily I saw the lady for the prothesis and special bra straight afterwards. Feeling relieved that it is all over now and hoping pathology results will be OK. One very nasty step out of the way on the way to recovery. 

The moisturiser is for the arm, not the arm pit. Will do the body brush in shower thing. 

Have been doing the smiling minds meditations they are very helpful. 

Pips how old are you? I'm 43. Stay strong. Like you said they will throw everything at you necessary to get rid of the cancer. We need to take it day by day to stay sane... 

Yjj hugs and thanks so much for your message. I can move my arm quite well already, will start exercises tomorrow. I'm trying to chill... not in my nature. Does anyone know when we can go out for little walks? I forgot to ask. 

pips88

@emarveling yes! That’s fantastic news! So pleased for you! Now hopefully this covid will get lost and you can eventually treat yourself to a big celebration!

My surgery went well last Thursday. Sorry I didn’t update sooner. I had to switch off from it all for a bit. I felt surprisingly squeamish for a few days!

Not sure when I will get my pathology results but I had a chat with my surgeon after and she said unfortunately it seemed the cancer had grown between diagnosis and surgery. I wasn’t too surprised as I had noticed the lump was getting bigger.

Trying not to think too far ahead. Just keeping my arm moving and not looking at my frankenboob too much! 

@UmLydia hope your surgery went well

hugs to all xxx

emarveling

I’ve got some fantastic news!!

They got all of the cancer during the surgery and all of the lymph nodes were clear!!! I don’t need to have any chemotherapy or radiotherapy, just hormone. 

@UmLydia i hadn’t heard about moisturising the armpit, I’ll have to check that out. 

yjj

Hello umlydia- I think or hope that you are all sorted and hopefully back home? Truly hope all went well and that you have some relief at this point and feel comfortable 

you must be one heck of a lady to be a day case for an MX - you go girl!!

yes - this is a life changer, I’ve had the same thoughts re lymphodema. Keep thinking oh I’m okay I don’t have it and then read that it’s often a decent time ahead when it can occur....brilliant!!!  I’m using a body brush in the shower... wrist upwards and across chest to aid draining. My physio said this was a good thing to do but I didn’t know about the moisturiser idea.... will start that too

make sure you chill for a while and recover from surgery but do those exercises lady!!

gentle hugs - massive step forward ticked off lovely xx

UmLydia

Hello glad to hear surgery went well for you emarveling. Hope you are still recovering well. 

Mine will be over in a few days, masectomy on Wednesday. 

I saw the nurse for the exercises she didn't make me do them just gave me a paper, I should have a look at them before surgery... also she said it is very important to moisturise the arm where lymph nodes have been cleared to avoid lymphodema. I didn't realise the risk of that happening is for life. You need a cheerful disposition to get you through this don't you.... i'M not very good at following instructions like that, will have to force myself. 

My surgery was moved forward by one day, so I can consider myself lucky in Covid times, will be a relief to be on that operating table. They are treating me as an outpatient, everyone I know is shocked by that but I hope it means they think I will heal really fast and the operation is uncomplicated. Still- a bit tough. 

They said I wouldn't have drains and if I do need one they will keep me in...

Hugs to everyone hope you are all recovering!! Hugs. 

yjj

Hi emarvelling - glad all is done and dusted, yay. Also brilliant that your follow up is so fast. You sound like me - I’m 3 GA in and seem to always get knocked out in tears, I think it’s pretty normal 🤣

good luck for Friday xx