Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surgery January 2020

90 REPLIES 90
Highlighted

Re: Surgery January 2020

Hi yorkshire_defector 

I am now 3 weeks post rads. I have had some swelling and pain over the chest and armpit. Now improving a lot also the tiredness had from rad 7 has also improved. 

Even at its worst pain was tolerable. 

Have heart scan on Wednesday and phone consult on may 19th to discuss if can restart my 3 weekly infusions. Hope you are able to complete rads without too many issues. Stay safe and take care.

Highlighted

Hi Sam

Exercises I was given are different to post surgery, these are more stretching and working the shoulder muscles.

Skin colour is now very pale pink so hopefully will be back to normal soon 😀

I had lumpectomy so also had to wear bra 24/7 post surgery til rads started 6 weeks later, then just wore strappy summer cotton tops under my normal clothes. (I found vests too clingy)

Take care and keep smiling 😀

Highlighted

Chelle56

Glad you're doing well, and long may it continue!

Are the exercises the same ones as post surgery?  Am now VERY adept at these having had surgery twice..have even customised to work my core & pelvic floor (get me!).

What colour is your skin now, I'd assume more pinky than anything but safer not to assume with blummin' cancer I find.

Have only this week started being braless at all, up till last week (3 wks post last surgery) was wearing bra 24hrs a day...braless is a very strange feeling on the op side and will take some getting used to, am quite happy with how it looks though.  In fact the softy in some respects make things look even more uneven, may have to improvise with some socks...

Cheers

Sam X

Highlighted

Hi Sam

I am now 5 weeks post rads, have still been applying cream as instructed and doing exercises ( they said continue for 6 weeks post rads). Skin had gone pink and warm at end of rads but now cool and only slightly discoloured. 

Tiredness had eased off a bit but has come back since returning to work, so just take it easier and try not to over do it.

Hope your sessions all go to plan with minimal reaction. Cream, Hydrate and braless as much as possible 😀

Stay safe and keep smiling everyone xx

Highlighted

Yorkshire50

Thanks, managed to get my way, with begrudging agreement from rads doc.  As I have a leaky seroma not got planning session till Tuesday and then rads should start 3 weeks after that. Risk with having 3 weeks is if the radiologists staffing levels are impacted by cv, let's hope not...though that could happen no matter how long your treatment I guess, just greater risk with 3 weeks.

Was in the chemo unit yesterday for monthly zolodex and they've all had cv so that's good I guess...especially for the chemo patients.

All,

Glad some of you are returning to work - and thanks for that!

How are your side effects post end of rads as it would appear for most that's when it really hits.

Enjoy the sunshine (I hope you all can!).

Good luck all

Sam

Highlighted

Hi Yorkshire 50

Glad to hear you got through rads without too many side effects 😀

I returned to work on a 6 week phased return last week. Really strange though, as I work in admin in nhs we are being redeployed across the hospital sites so only 3 members of the team left in the office. Very unsettling knowing I am going to be put somewhere that I probably wont know anyone or what I'm doing, not sure if I will end up working in various teams either as needs require. It's not the best way to go back to work as nothing is normal at the moment, but at least I get out of the house and will see how I will cope with the hours. Feeling stressed at the moment though and not sure how my manager will keep track of how I'm coping with it, but heyho needs must.

Keep safe and keep smiling ladies x

Highlighted

Hi all completed my rads today. Skin looks red bit sore and swollen but intact. Feeling tired since no7. Feels good to be able to tick off another treatment. I wont miss daily hospital appointments but was a lot  more tolerable than I thought it would be.

How are you all?

Yorkshire_defector how did meeting on Friday go. Are you having 3 weeks rads?

Purple Lady how are you doing with your rads 2 left?

Jools 123 more than half way through. Still managing with minimal issues?

Chelle56 did you manage to sort a mutually agreeable return to work plan.

Hope you are all managing to keep safe.

Take care.

Highlighted

Hi Hre

Sending you healing hugs Xx 

Glad you got the op done now. 

Im on my last chemo which I have on Monday and will also have to have mastectomy after that !!! Which obviously I am very nervous about especially as my reconstruction got cancelled !!! They also told me there will be no drains !!! So it looks like that’s the latest protocol !! 

Im a bit confused - did you not have a full mastectomy ?? 

Highlighted

Hi DB, After my first surgery was cancelled because my surgeon had to self isolate I managed to get onto another’s list and my surgery with new surgeon was last Friday. I have just completed 6 months of chemo so it was important to get it done in the 5-6 weeks after last chemo round. I didn’t get out of theatre until 9pm as they had to take a fair bit of my left breast, underlying muscles and a full node clearance from under my arm. I was kept in over night bit surgeon was keen to get me home next day with no drain and pain killers. I’m wearing a new type dressing which stays in place for two weeks and then I’m going back to hospital so wounds can be checked.  I will need to go back for reconstruction (or a mastectomy at later date dependent on results of samples they took.) Been a bit tough but manageable with regular pain killers which I’m still taking. It’s another step done and I’m still here. It’s hard not to be nervous, I know I was , but I’m ok and managing my recovery at home with pain killers. You will soon be on your path to recovery so don’t worry you’re not alone, you have got this one. Let me know how it goes.

sending best wishes xxx

Highlighted

TLC2019
Well done for completing rads - is that it now? Do hope so.
Please may I ask why you had the rads booster at the end of the treatment.

Yorkshire 50
Looks like you're on the cusp of completing too. So an early congrats!

I have my initial meeting with radiology team Friday and am hoping that they don't try and reduce the 3 weeks I'm expecting to 1 week as some others have. We're surrounded by Bl00dy ridiculous diseases!

Sam

Highlighted

Hi TLC2019, well done on completing your radiation. It's so good when you can tick off another treatment.

I am on day12 of 15 of rads so nearly there for me. Had pain on Friday but seems better now but  skin looks red and swollen over chest and armpit.

Had heart scan last week which showed some issue with heart muscle. So 3 weekly herceptin/perjeta infusions now on hold. Only completed 8 of 18 so far. Will see (speak to) oncologist next week to discuss how to proceed. Hope you are coping ok with current situation and are able to keep safe and take care.

Highlighted

Hi Yorkshire50.  I hope all is well.  I was able to start radiation on time and just finished radiation last Friday.  Today is day #5 without it and I'm glad I'm done.  I did have some red, rashy, itchy, little painful skin especially in weeks 3 and 4.  I had 4 weeks of radiation because they gave me an extra "Booster" for 4 days.  Thank goodness for the lidocaine cream, steroid cream and aquaphor.  Things are feeling much better!  I go see the oncologist Friday and go for a skin check Thursday.  How are you doing?

Highlighted

Hi Black Cat, 

i was wondering how your surgery, recovery went? Did it all go well for you ? 

I have a mastectomy booked for next Wednesday so was wondering on your recovery. With this whole covid thing they will not keep me over night. I will be sent home the same day 😳 with no drains apparently !!!! 

DB 

Xx. 

Highlighted

Hi yorkshire_defector and everyone else,

I was told to take paracetamol as long as still had pain. I stopped after 5 days. The BCN said to keep taking painkillers if had pain doing post OP arm exercises but not continue indefinitely.

Murphsmum I did have mastectomy but not immediate reconstruction so was just told to wear what was comfortable. Have you had planning scan yet? Did they advise on this? It says braless as much as possible so I assume you should put bra back straight after treatment as surgeon advised. 

Hopefully someone who has had immediate reconstruction and rads can advise you.

Hope scab improves and you are able to start rads in early March as planned.

Chelle56 hope you continue to cope with rads with no issues.

TLC2019 I hope your appointment next week goes ok and and you are able to start rads as planned.

Hope everyone has a good weekend.

Highlighted

Hello all (esp. fellow Yorkshire folk!)

Still feeeling ok though seem to suffer a mid morning lull where feel a little queasy - might need to change my breakfast!

And yes Yorkshire 50 I will be doing the whole treatment gambit, rads (for 3 wks) probably end March, hormone tablets and also see what trials I can jump on...its still all go!

Question - how long after your surgery did you/were you told to take paracetamol for?  I really hate taking any medication (not sure why given my system has never been so full of such cr4p before!) and took for 3/4 days after surgery as instructed but now my BCN tells me I should still be taking them regularly for anti-inflammatory benefits....what have you been told?

Sam X

Highlighted

Morning all

I start radiotherapy on 2nd March, 15 sessions, well, that is if the scab I have on my saved nipple has gone by then! I am having manuka honey patches put on it to draw it off, had 4 now and it’s still there.

I have been told to wear a bra 24 hours a day for 3 months by my surgeon and I did read in the radiotherapy info to go braless as much as possible like you said Chelle56. So not sure what I’m supposed to do really 🤷🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️

Highlighted

Hi Chelle56,

Thank you for the information you have kindly shared. It is good to hear you are coping well with radiotherapy. Already completed 4 and no issues.

I am recovering well from surgery now seroma has improved.

It is good to hear others doing well with radiotherapy as slightly nervous about this next step. Will see if I am given any creams when attend in early March.

Highlighted

Also told me to go braless as much as possible

Highlighted

Hi Yorkshire 50

I hope you are recovering well.

I have had 4 rads sessions, everything going well. They gave me a tub AquaMax cream to use at my first session and told me not to use deodorant on the side that was being treated. Also told me to use simple soap when washing and to pat the breast dryCream is very thick but so far is working 😀. I apply it 3 times a day, once after rads, then late afternoon  and then when I go to bed.

Highlighted

Hi Yorkshire.  Everything went well today.  It was a very quick appointment.  I had the scan and the doc came in and marked stuff and they gave me the tattoos.  I go back in a week, next Friday.  Then the actual radiation starts 3/2.  I am doing 16 days of radiation and then what she called a booster which will be 2-4 days depending on how I do.  They did talk about two creams...Aquaphor (they said is greasy, I've used it before) and another one.  I can't remember.  When I go back I think they will talk more about it so I will let you know.  I hope you are feeling well.  

Highlighted

Hi yorkshire_defector,

Glad to hear you are recovering well. Fingers crossed for results next week.

Will you be having radiotherapy or other further treatment? 

I am now almost 6 weeks post surgery and am feeling numb underarm at times and have odd twinges at surgery site but mostly ok.

I still tire very easily but am being more active every day. 

Highlighted

Hi TLC2019,

It is good you have planning appointment and physiotherapy so soon and will be ready to start the next step. How did your pre scan stuff go today? Do you start radiotherapy on Monday?

I have my planning appointment

on 3rd March. So will be starting just as you finish probably. Have been told will need 15 sessions over 3 weeks. Was also told will reduce chance of recurrence by 50%. Did they give you any creams/ advice?

Hope everything goes well for your first session. Please let me know how you goet on.

Highlighted

Thanks Yorkshire 50

Am recovering well, got the annoying drain taken out yesterday and think as a result have been a little more sore than previously.

I insisted when anyone asked that I was not staying in hospital overnight and so it was!  Didn't end up leaving till 10.30pm though, op was at 3pm but lots of repeated blood pressure tests needed.

Got my pathology results next Thurs, could have had them today but couldn't be bothered to go to hospital for 3 days running....in no rush here!

Hope all are well.

Highlighted

Hi Yorkshire50,

I'm so glad you had the mastectomy!!  🙂  Phew!!!  Glad you are healing and the seroma is doing better.  Mine are doing pretty good now.  I saw the radiologist today and I go back this Thursday for pre-scan stuff and to get the tattoos and next week I start radiation and get my full schedule.  My Dr. recommended radiation for 16 days plus a booster 2-4 days.  She'll decide how I'm handling it in terms of how long the booster will be.  So I'm looking at 18-20 days of radiation.  She is also sending me to see the Physical Therapist so she can measure my arms in case I develop lymphedema.  She said that having the radiation, in my case, will reduce the chance of it coming back by 50%!!!!  

Good luck with your appointments.  I hope you heal well.  It sounds like you are doing good.  🙂

Highlighted

Hi yorkshire_defector,

How are you?  hope you are recovering well.

Just remember to take it easy and keep doing arm exercises. Did you have to stay in overnight? I was given the option to go home but was so tired stayed till next morning luckily had side room so got some rest. When do you get post op.results?  Fingers crossed you will receive good news. 

Highlighted

Hi TLC2019,

Good news your seroma is improving.

Surgeon informed me they had found two more small pieces of tumour so am glad mastectomy was done to remove everything left. Saw radiologist 12th feb am due to have radiotherapy planning scan in next couple of weeks then start 2-3 weeks after that. I have also developed seroma but was drained by surgeon and seems much better. I have been  given anastrozole and ibandronic acid to take 5 years and 3 years respectively. Also having perjeta and herceptin every 3 weeks for 1 year.

How was appointment today did they recommend radiotherapy? Are you having to take any other meds apart from tamoxifen?

Highlighted

Hi Yorkshire50.  Glad to hear your pain is getting less.  That's great news.  I am doing much better.  I developed a second seroma, but that is absorbing and I don't feel as much discomfort.  I am scheduled to see the radiologist on 2/18.  I think they are going to want to do radiation just in case.  I was hoping to escape it, but I'll do what they recommend as they are the experts and I don't want this to come back.  I will have to take Tamoxifen after radiation is done.  How were your results?  🙂

Highlighted

My mastectomy and wire excision are on Thursday, I've got all the gear and started sleeping on my v pillow last night - not a great nights sleep as am an on the side foetal position kinda gal but my theory is I'll get used to it pre-op??!

Appointment is afternoon one so may be staying in overnight, which I'd rather not and that's even with my Mother playing nurse!

It's great to read how well you have all done and fully expect I'll be the same - I just hope I don't say anything horrible about my surgeon whilst under...

Sam

Highlighted

Hi TLC2019,

How was your appointment with radiologist/oncologist? How is your seroma is it now resolved? I have appointment with surgeon this week for post surgery results and I am hoping will be referred on to see radiologist re radiotherapy.

I am still sometimes getting pain but a lot less than before. Hope you are recovering well.

Highlighted

Thanks Yorkshire

Hope you arerecovering well and are not in too much pain x

Highlighted

Hi Chelle56,

That's great news. You must be so happy. Now onto the next step radiotherapy. Hope appointment goes well next week.

Highlighted

Hi TLC 2019

That's fantastic news 😀, I had the same results last Tuesday, seeing oncologist tomorrow to discuss radiotherapy x

Highlighted

Hi Sam

That's great news that there was no breakthrough, you must be so relieved 😀

Good Luck with your appointments next week.

Sending hugs

Chelle x

Highlighted

Hi TLC2019 and everyone else,

TLC2019 I am so happy for you. You must be so relieved. Will you get date for start of radiotherapy next week?

I am still taking painkillers but am able to manage with less than last week so improving. 

Hope everyone is recovering well.

Highlighted

Hi Yorkshire.  How are you?  I got great news.  Clear margins and nothing spread to lymph nodes.  I just have a Seroma I'm dealing with.  I go to see the radiologist/oncologist next week.  How's your pain?

Highlighted

Hi All,

Few developments since last check in. My biopsy results have come back clear so there is no breakthrough which is a relief. I went for a CT scan this afternoon.....nobody warned me of the fact that I might think I'd wet myself. What a shock that was!! Woman LOL

I've got another pre-surgery assessment with the other plastic surgeon next tuesday and an appointment with the mastectomy surgeon on thursday so it sounds like it's getting closer and I'm getting more worried. Reading your experiences is helping though. 

Highlighted

Meant to say the Asda cropped bra top- it has removable pads is excellent. Very comfy and fine to wear with drains 

Highlighted

Hi all, 

l had my mastectomy and lymph node clearance last week. Was a bit complicated as one lump was very close to the skin. Went for wound check yesterday all seems good. I am not really in any pain but am taking it very easy. 

Have fingers crossed for next week when I get results and follow up plans. 

Hope all you other lovely ladies are doing ok. 

Highlighted

Hi 

in prep for your surgery I can recommend the asda post op bras 2 bras for £15 and asda button up pjs have been a godsend as you won’t be able to move things over your head.

i am two days post op after therapeutic mamoplatsy and sentinel node biopsy.

i was given excercises to do from the physio which I’ve started.Im pottering around then having little naps as it does all take it out of you.

wishinh you lots of luck for your surgery on the 20th.

i am recovering and back in two weeks to see if the margin they was taken was adaquate -really hoping so and everything crossed.

good luck x

Highlighted

Glad to hear you are home!  I'll be praying for good results for you.  🙂

Highlighted

Hi TLC2019,

Hope you are recovering well.

I stayed in overnight and got home this morning. Was very relieved but have to wait 3 weeks for follow up appointment.

Keeping on top of pain relief managing with paracetamol. Hope you get good news at your follow up. Fingers crossed for you. Take care.

Highlighted

Hi Yorkshire,

I hope everything went well yesterday.  I had a lumpectomy yesterday and sentinel node biopsy.  I'm hoping for clear margins and nodes.  Will know in about a week.  How did your mastectomy go?  I hope you feel a little relief that it's done.  I know I sure do.  🙂

Highlighted

Thanks Chelle

Highlighted

Hi

Yes, button up tops are best especially as you will have drains. ASDA online also do nightshirts that have inside pockets for your drains. 

Hope everything goes well for you on 20th  x

Highlighted

Hi

My surgery is next Monday, 20th, mastectomy, lymph node removal (which was going to all but they have said it might only be 4 now) and reconstruction. Have been told I will be in overnight. I’ve had 6 rounds of chemo, 3 FEC & 3 Docetaxel and am very pleased it’s over. My tumour was 7.5cm and has shrunk, a lot, I actually noticed it had shrunk after my first FEC treatment.
Hoping the chemo was the hardest part, obviously I’m nervous about the surgery, decided on immediate reconstruction as I couldn’t imagine looking at my body and there being no breast, wether this was a good reason for reconstruction or not I’m not sure. I’ll have a drain in for a week, apparently a district nurse will come round and change it. Do you know if I need to wear tops with buttons rather than things that go over my head? That’s probably a stupid question, it would be common sense really 😆

Highlighted

Hi LotStan,

That sounds a nightmare, it shouldn't be like that. Do you have much swelling? I would get in touch with the BCN if I were you. They might recommend some different pain killers for the meantime till they get a chance to check it over and see if anything is needed. 

Hope it eases off soon for you. Take it easy.

Sam xxx

Highlighted

Hi

i had mastectomy with implant recon and lymph node clearance Thursday. Home Friday. Op according to surgeons went well and looking down at myself (in post surgery  bra) all looks good. BUT, by crikey the pain in my breast bone when I move is awful. I consider myself to have a high pain threshold hold, but this has really beaten me. I’m taken paracetamol with codeine first thing, ibuprofen two hours later, paracetamol again when the required time has passes until bedtime when I take the codeine again. It’s now at the point where I’m scared to move because of the pain, which obviously isn’t good for recovery.   

Highlighted

Hi Sam

I'm feeling ok as I haven't been in any pain and not needed any tablets, I still get tired easily but am nearly sleeping all night again now 😀. I have my wound check due on Monday and my sister ( a practice nurse) has told me to take pain killers before I go for it. My husband had a go at washing and drying my hair 😂😂😂😂 good job I had nowhere special to go, I am hoping they say I can do it myself on Monday as I should be allowed to lift arms above shoulders by then.  Had a teary moment yesterday when my doctors phoned to say I needed to go in and discuss my cholestral tests results ...... of all the things to set me off! I have managed it without tablets so far but Letrozole can affect it so think I may have to give in to statins 😔.  

Look after yourself 

Highlighted

Thanks Chelle,

How are you feeling now? Its been a few days since your op hasn't it.

Sam

xxx

Highlighted

Hi Ollies

Glad to hear everything went well. Take it easy and rest up, it's easy to over do things when you can't feel any pain. Hope everything goes well on Tuesday

Chelle