1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surgery January 2021

Gelbel

Re: Surgery January 2021

Happy Birthday Delly. 💐🥂 xx Might have to pass on the dancing - can certainly feel my pec/wound/armpit today. That's pushing a small shopping trolley with a few items in it for you and I was doing stuff with my left hand. 

What a good excuse to be (extra) lazy today with coffee, wine and blueberry muffins - especially given the snow. And, have more hugs for PeonyRose. 🤗

delly

Bluebelltime - Mo, I've done it for you, flower. (For next time - Just open the relevant thread, right click on the address box, click COPY, open the message box you want it in, position your cursor, right click again and then click on PASTE)

It's a brill thread. Well done to you, for putting it forward.  

https://forum.breastcancernow.org/t5/Living-with-secondary-breast/No-evidence-of-active-disease/m-p/...

Wow,  such a hope-giving, up-lifting and inspiring thread. So many brave ladies. May it give you some hope Peonyrose ❤️  xxx

Titch - What a frustrating time you're having of it. Hope you get that date real soon. xxx

All you others, keep doing your exercises gals.

Am draping lots of glittering lights, have mirrored ball ready to rotate (A la Strictly!), and champers all ready and chilling. No need for glasses, have enough "bockles" so we can just use a straw, hic 😋  Umph, why did I try ironing my borrowed Gelbel's Mum's onesie elephant trunk? 😕 Mmmmm, NOT a good idea, Delly. I'll have to stuff it with a sock, OR I could pinch Gelbel's knitted knocker!! Mwa ha ha ha haa 😆     xxxxxxx 

delly

Bookish  - But Dharrrling, "Onesies" are soooo "de rigeur" this season. And especially FROG ones. Why else would "I" be suggesting and having them?!!!!! Mine's pocketed for booblets too. 21st?? Naaaa, 62nd.  I'd gladly go back 20yrs, but not 40, yuk.

If it and ME are gonna be too noisy for this thread, then just say. I'll move it over elsewhere. 

Gelbel  - How did you KNOW to buy wine AND CAKE today?? I hadn't announced my b'day until just before you popped on this evening. E.S.P.? Or you're just a woman after my own heart, obviously. Think there are quite a few of us after that same "vino and cake" heart too, from the sounds of things!!!

Think we need to rally round and go and very "gently" grab Peonyrose, girls?? I keep trying to eat as much as possible of that treacle she said she was in.

Mmmm, if only it were JUST treacle, darlin girl.

❤️xxx❤️xxx❤️ 

BluebellTime

Peonyrose,I am so sorry to hear this awful news. I hope you can soon settle into your treatment and that it works well for you. I don't know if this will help you at all but there  is a post from a member called Pawsome on the Living with Secondary Cancer thread, which gives very encouraging news about her progress, and she is not the only one with good outcomes. The  thread is called No Evidence of Active Disease, first post on 9 Oct 2020. Sorry I do not know how to do a link. Take care of yourself and do not give up. Much love Mo xx

bookish

Oh dear. I have spent *years* refusing to have anything to do with onsies... but for you ladies, I will cave, and I would find a frog onsie for a party with you all - for Delly's (21st?) birthday, and for all of us through all of 'it'!

Gelbel

Deffo party time. I went out today - wine and cake went in the shopping trolley. So lovely being out even though the weather was pants. No one stared at me. Well, no more than usual due to my supermodel looks. 😂🐷✈️

delly

Hey Gelbel and girls

So this is where you, Amy and Peonyrose kept disappearing off the "Surgery tomorrow" thread to!! I know you purposely didn't tell me, so I wouldn't INVADE this area as well😆 Well Tough Boobies babes (even if "I" DON'T have ANY 🤣) .

It's my birthday tomorrow - think we need a party. Hopefully cheer Peonyrose up a bit if possible - you up for it Peony?? And all the rest of us up a bit. I'd thought about making it a "ONESIES" party?? What d'ya think Gelbel and girls?? Could meet on the other thread if you feel it more appropriate than this one?? I might have to ask to borrow your Mum's elephant onesie, Gel? 

Lots of love to everyone on here,  excitedly, Dellypoos xxxxxxx   

Gelbel

Oh PeonyRose, I was thinking about you all day yesterday. Oh my love*, what absolutely horrendous news - very pants indeed . My thoughts are with you.

Sending you hugs. 🤗

Gel x ♥ 

*Funny, we don't know each other and have only been in each others' world's a few days, I feel I know you already. I'm here if you want an ear to rant to. x 👂 😱 

delly

Peonyrose Alice - Ohhhh, my darlin' girl. I'm not surprised you've had a "really difficult day". I can only imagine how you must be feeling. What (strong swear word) awful news.  I hope there's perhaps something further that can be done for you at some later stage. I'd been hoping for good news from you on the "Surgery tomorrow" thread and happened upon you here - with THIS 😞

My thoughts, prayers and love are with you right now and through this, lovely lady. ❤️❣️❤️

Lots of love to you and everyone else on here,  Delly  xxxxxxx  

PeonyRose9

Hey my lovely surgery January 2021’ers. This is not easy for me to write. Today has been a really difficult day.  I have stage 4 breast cancer that has metastasised to my spine and possibly my liver ( needs MRI scan to confirm or eliminate)
I have been told it’s not curable but can be managed. I’ve been prescribed Letrozole for starters, I need to have an injection each month to put me into menopause and stop oestrogen production and I’ll need a bone strengthening treatment too.
No surgery at this time and no chemo... I’d only want chemo to get cancer free but that’s not going to be the case for what I’m told.
It’s not what I expected. He was certain the lesions on my spine were cancer and that determined this outcome. What can I say... it’s just pants 🩲❤️❤️

bookish

Aw, that's tough, Titch! I think I was more worried about a last-minute cancellation than the actual surgery, didn't know how I'd cope with the sudden delay. Having overheard a conversation between some nurses, I think I was 'lucky' to hit a narrow window and be squeezed in, even as I wonder if I was sent home ever so slightly earlier than they would have without covid fears, and am now a bit paranoid about anything going wrong if the hospital gets overwhelmed - if it helps, at least that is one bit you can avoid!

Gelbel

Aw Titch that's a bummer, especially when you psyched yourself up. 🤗

Are you a everything happens for a reason type of gal? I am, though not in a god's/universe will type of why - p00p/good stuff happens. It might yet be for the best - giving you more time to clear your chest.

Think I'll pass on the cow - we had chickens for years, they were bad enough. They are feathered, lean, mean pooing machines.

Hope your day improves. I'm going to attempt to wash my hair without getting my dressing wet.

Gel x

Titch53

Good morning lovely ladies!

Well had the dreaded phone call yesterday-Friday’s op now delayed as Wrexham hospital is really struggling with the covid situation! Felt sorry for the Macmillan nurse, she was trying to get round everyone so no one heard it on the news. Been given the new date of 26th Jan so only an extra 11 days and is in a different hospital 1.5 hours away where Covid is less of a problem.

Won’t lie -I was pretty fed up as had psyched myself up for Friday but could be worse!

Hope you’re all feeling really well! Good to hear your recovering well Gelbel...so when are you buying that cow lol?!!

Have a good day!!!

Gelbel

As you were. Staff nurse who would have removed the drain called back as she thought it sounded too good and wondered if the tube was blocked. She explained how to milk it as it were.

Wow like Niagara Falls. Still we didn't make a wasted journey. And I can now probably milk a cow with both eyes closed and a hand tied behind my back. 🐄

Gelbel

Only having my drain out at 12pm. Just 15ml drainage in 24 hrs, I'm mobile, pain free (taking 3 paracetamol a day), exercising and keeping my fluids up so they are happy to remove it. 🎉🎊

Gelbel

Hi Elaine.

ANC is anxillary node clearance - basically taking all of the notes out under the arm. I had that because my cancer was found in a couple of nodes at diagnosis/biopsy strange. No surprise because it was with the node swelling I went to the GP with.

All that commenting about the drain and it didn't drain at all during the day. But when I 'emptied' and re-vacced the evening whoosh! 100ml in 2 hours. Blooming thing obviously did not want to play nice in the morning. And it's behaved overnight.

I've had to resort to the ibuprofen this morning, only one, and that's because my drain site is a itching and stingy - not infected - I know it's how I recover. I can certainly feel my shoulder today from where my arm was obviously over my head during the op. Paracetamol doing its job. 

I'm quite surprised how mobile my arm/shoulder is - exercises are going well and the ones where you reach behind are easy. I do only have one long scar as they extended the mastectomy cut to get the note out rather than cutting under my armpit. At least, I should be able to get some deodorant on this morning. 👏

I'm going to attempt a shower later - I've found a large, thick carrier bag that I've cut a neck hole in. Going to be fun getting these surgical socks off with help from my hubby. 

I do hope everyone else is continuing on the recovery path and if you are struggling with your thoughts that they are lighter or clearer than they have been recently. 

Parky, I see you mention Yorkshire. Is that where you are? I am. 😀

Gel x

LouJP

Morning

I came home with mine in a carrier bag - no tote bag on offer or heart shaped pillow but I had both at home.

I drained little so only had it for a couple of days and was only in the house as couldnt go anywhere (cos of covid) but i did have a habit of putting it on the floor and forgetting to pick it up!

Wierdest thing was I had to sleep the other side of the bed.
We are all amazing what we go through.

Enjoy sunday all xxx

Titch53

Hi ladies,

Gelbel-so glad you’re feeling okay, not the most sensitive comment from your sis-in-law and surely they’d have warned you of this at the hospital if being seriously ill was a common risk! Hate to ask this but what does ANC mean?! Sometimes I think I’m the least informed person with BC ever lol!!

I’ll phone the BC nurse tomorrow and ask about the drain situation!

Thankyou ladies-have a lovely Sunday!!

Elaine

parky

Hi Elaine,

most people seem to have a drain when they have a mastectomy whether or not they have lymph node surgery or implant reconstruction as well.

At my hospital, they sometimes have drain bags available and sometimes not. I took two of those thin cotton tote/shopping bags with me in op day and used them until I got some smaller drain bags.

If you know anyone who's handy sewing Google 'mastectomy drain bag pattern'. Cancer Support Yorkshire have a free one which is simple and good.

Hope that helps 

bookish

I've had drains in since my bilateral Mx on Wednesday, but I think that's more to do with the implants - they can't let fluid build up around those. They've been minorly awkward, not awful at all.

Gelbel

Hi Elaine 

I hope your op goes ahead. Ask your BCN about the drain, though I do think it's for ANCs.

I had a long decent night kip and just a little bit of a ache in the the top of my right pec - that's all.

Had fun with my drain this am - wouldn't click together. Quick call to ward, bit of advice and done. Phew - the only thing that worries me is that blessed thing. Not helped by my sister-in-law said last night that her friend messed hers up and that made her very ill. 🙄 

How are all you lovely ladies today? xx

LouJP

Hi Elaine

Fingers crossed you are well enough for your op.

I had a drain as I had full lymph removal - I think it was linked to that so might be worth checking.

xx

Titch53

Hi Gelbel!

So glad your op went well yesterday! Hope you’re feeling okay today and that you recover nicely! 
My lovely GP gave me antibiotics yesterday as a precaution as I’ve developed a chesty cold and was panicking my op next Friday could be cancelled! 
I’m going to sound really naive now but will I need a drain bag for my mastectomy? Does everyone have a drain? They didn’t tell me anything about this at the hospital!

Lots of love and best wishes for your recovery!!

Elaine

Amy1988

Gelbel. I'm so pleased it went well for you! I love my heart pillow now and the drain bag definitely comes in handy. Have plenty of rest and I hope you get better soon

Gelbel

Hello ladies, all done, back on ward, bit achy feel like done massive pec workout, certainly no pain. In for another 4 hrs at least for obs. Tea and toast I've just devoured was the best ever! Snooze time I think. 

Heart pillow and drain back just delivered - same colour as the cardi I wore in! 

Hope you are all safe and warm - snow here. Thank goodness none this morning when coming in..

Amy1988

Alice

That's ok, there is always hope! Im a hypochondriac too, I don't know how I've coped with all this lol. I'm doing ok thanks, but I think the anaesthetic is wearing off now, as I'm feeling more pain! Still manageable but needed to take some painkillers. How are you?

Gelbel 

I'm thinking of you today and hope it all goes well for you 

PeonyRose9

Amy, thank you so much for giving me some hope. Another friend of mine had a lesion on her liver and it turned out not cancer. This gives me some hope to cling on to, for now. This cancer malarkey isn’t for the faint hearted is it! 
I’m so pleased you are recovering so well ❤️

Amy1988

Hi Alice. I'm so sorry to hear about your ct scan results. When I was first diagnosed, I initially had a mri and ct scan. My surgeon told me there was 'suspicious areas' around my stomach and lungs. And he seemed convinced it was more cancer, so I had to have a pet scan to find out. But thankfully they turned out to be nothing. I really hope yours is ok. But either way, you're a strong person and you can fight this! 

Gelbel

Oh Alice, I am so sorry to hear about your scan results. 🤗

I've no experience at all and can't even think of words of comfort other than you are in safe hands.

My thoughts are with you.

Love Gel x

PeonyRose9

Hey everyone, I’m feeling so defeated. I had a call from my surgeon and bc nurse with the results from my CT scan and they said I have a legion on my liver and spine(L2 & L12) I now need to have an MRI scan for a closer look at what’s going on but I’m now back into the fear of not overcoming this. They are looking at possibly chemo before surgery and I have an appointment on Tuesday 12th with oncology but haven’t out ruled the surgery until the oncologist has seen me.    I wasn’t expecting this and was hoping for a linear line through treatment. Has anyone got any experience with shadows/ legions or any words that could give me some hope back.  With love from Alice🙏🏼❤️

Gelbel

Hi PeonyRose

Thank you for your good wishes - sending you loads. 21 January will be here before you know it - just like Friday is from when I was booked in on 15 December!

You've got this! x

PeonyRose9

I’m in the new year new me gang! I have now been given 21st January as my surgery date. I’m having a right side mastectomy and lymph nodes removed. No CT scan results yet but hoping for the best. Waiting for the dates for the pre op stuff but it feels like it’s all in motion after so much angst and waiting... knowing the cancer is there inside me feels really horrible given it’s potential.

Amy I’m so pleased you’ve had your surgery, I thought about you often during the day and kept you in my prayers. I wish you a comfortable and quick recovery along with the absolute best results.

Gelbel, I wish you the very best on Friday and that everything runs smoothly and you have a fantastic outcome. I’m also researching V pillows, what a great idea!

Thank you everyone on here. You give my hope, give me strength and soften the loneliness of going through the motions and emotions. My pink ribbon warriors 🎀💪🏼🌈❤️

Gelbel

Hi Elaine

That's such a shame that you need more surgery - better safe than sorry eh? I do hope your op will go ahead - they learned so much from the original lockdown about keeping (urgent) services going.

I've not long had my pre-op team call to make sure I am going to my covid test tomorrow. Doh - yes! Be nice to have a bit of time away from the house as we've been isolating due to Friday's op.

All the best. x

Gelbel

Hi Amy

Wow - yesterday. I hope you are feeling ok after the anaesthetic and not too uncomfortable from the op. I hope you get home and get those new PJs on soon.

I got the Dorma forever full v pillow from Dunelm - they are doing a click and collect service with the new lockdown if you don't fancy waiting for it to be delivered. Got a couple of their own brand pillow cases for it - nightmare to get on.

Please let me know how you get on with your post-op recovery - if you want to. x

Amy1988

Hi gelbel. I want to wish you the best of luck for friday. I've had my mastectomy (mon 4th) and I'm definitely doing the 'new year, new me' too! I need to lose weight and start eating healthier so I'm joining slimming world. I'm in the hospital now, but I've stayed in the town they gave me. I don't think I'll get to wear my new Pyjamas here lol. A v shaped pillow sounds like a good idea, I think I'll need to buy one. I'm a side sleeper so I'm struggling with not being able to for now

Titch53

Hi Gelbel!

Good luck for your op on Friday-you do sound brilliantly prepped!

I’ve got mine on 15th so week after yours. Had lumpectomy on 10th Dec but now need mastectomy as in the words of my doc ‘that breast is a liability to you now!’

Not going to prep till last minute-not normally superstitious but on edge that covid could get in the way and cancel the whole thing! In N Wales and numbers are high!

Lots of love to you-hope all goes swimmingly!!!

Elaine xx

Gelbel

I might have cracked the back sleeping malarky...🤞  I found the body pillow I got for my hip op and put this at the end of the right hand side (will be the side of my mastectomy) of my V-pillow. When I got into bed I made sure the body pillow was very close to me.

Bingo! According to my Fitbit, best night's sleep (and quality sleep) for quite a while. I know I snored like a pig though! 🤣

Perhaps the length of the pillow supporting me down my right side made me think I was on my side? 👋Dunno, but it worked.

Gelbel

Thank you for your replies.

DJD - so pleased to hear it was relative 'plain sailing' for you, albeit it's sad to be in this situation.

Bookish - having a plan is my nature. Very probably if it wasn't Christmas and New Year I probably wouldn't be so far ahead of the game.

My covid test is on Wednesday, 90 minutes before my consultant's appointment but at a different hospital. Several people are trying to change it for me but it doesn't look like the convenience of having the test at the same hospital will happen. I suspect appointment times is the guiding force there.

I doubt there will be any delays, other than emergencies outside of our control that aren't covid related. Certainly at my hospital trust, the breast department has been BAU throughout. I've a friend who's a chemo nurse and that department carried on just about as normal too. Here it seems the more general/umbrella departments have dropped off - my husband has an autoimmune disease and has needed hospital intervention in the last few months to help him manage this. At the moment, there is a total lack of joining up between departments. After one lot of blood tests, he was told his immune system needs investigating - he was rather sarcastic telling them he has Crohn's disease and very firm in asking why they hadn't joined the dots! We might not like what we are going though, we are in safe hands.

A new you in the spring sounds like a fantastic idea to look forward to - new beginnings, beautiful blossoms and all that.

All the very best for Wednesday. xx

bookish

Hi Gelbel - I'm in for the game! Heading for the final stage of my bilateral mastectomy (and immediate reconstruction) on Wednesday. Well, I hope - I haven't heard otherwise, I'm booked in for a covid test tomorrow in prep, but I think until it actually happens I'm half-waiting to hear some covid-related something or other has delayed the whole thing. And like you, I'm just wanting it all over even as I'm absolutely dreading it.

You are *so* prepared! I thought I was doing okayish, but you've got me beat there 🙂 I think I've got enough sorted, though. Bag wasn't entirely unpacked after last time, freezer is full, etc etc.

The sleep thing sucks. I got to experience that from September when I had the first stage of the op. But, what can you do? It does get better eventually.

At the moment what's keeping me going is the thought that come, say, spring, when I'm done with the next lot of recovery, that's me - I get to start getting my life back, and it will indeed be new and improved!

Fingers crossed for us both xx

DJD

Hi there Gelbel - my goodness you're organised, well done you.  Sincerely hoping everything goes as per the plan on 8th.  Just wanted to tell you that my mastectomy was the first op I'd had.  I was terrified, and assumed I'd be pretty helpless after surgery.  Like you, I stayed overnight and was discharged with drains.  A nurse made a home visit the following day to check all was well.  I was surprised at how well I felt.  I had no pain - best described as a little discomfort at most, which was quelled with paracetamol for a couple of days.  I was very tired - most likely my response to anaesthetic and the fact that I'd barely slept with anxiety leading up to op!  I did the recommended exercises religiously and found my arm movement was back to normal quicker than I expected.  My husband was wonderful and keen to look after me, but  as I felt OK,  I was itching to get back to some normality.  Will be thinking of you. D

Gelbel

Surgery January 2021

Anyone having surgery this January want to join me in an extreme game of New Year new me?

I'm having a right mastectomy and ANC on Friday 8 January. My surgeon likes her mastectomy patients to be in overnight. I will have confirmation of this on Wednesday as I am seeing her for my '(clear 😅) CT scan explanation and reminder of what her plan is for me' meeting. 

I've bought the cheapest full button sleeveless tunic that I will use as a night dress that I could find. That will be destined for the charity bag ASAP as I sleep in the nude and avoid button up stuff as much as possible as they always gape on me even when I go two sizes too big - just like this one. 😲 I do have several baggy camisole style nightdresses that I use to preserve my modesty if I I stay away somewhere (remember those days?) if needed. I've even sewn a tape into my dressing gown because one side fell off to help transport the drain. Although I do have a wonderful selection of lanyards! I already have a lovely range of lounging tops that I can get into without raising my right arm, I've a few gym zip up jackets that have big inside pockets and and I several of those magic bras that I can step in and out of - I hate wearing bras at the best of times. Although isn't it ironic that I have recently found my perfect fit, can't feel them on brand that I've been buying one or two a month of for the past few months? My BCN told me not to worry about that as my long term prosthetic will be be sorted to fit them.

I've discovered the snuggly joys of a V-pillow, I already had a body pillow from having a total hip replacement only 18-months ago. My biggest fear is not being able to sleep - I just cannot sleep on my back. After my hip op, I didn't sleep for more than 2 hours a night with some very short catnapping during the day for the first 4 to 5 weeks. 😢

Big supermarket deliveries of ready meals and easy cook stuff are sorted for the day before and week after. I've a 'good riddance to bad rubbish' video call booked in for the night before with my besties. I've been training my husband on how to put fresh bedding on properly - I'm lucky that he does most of the housework as he's retired and he can work the dishwasher and washing machine. 😇

I'm ready! I might sound gung-ho - I want to get on with it. As I've said elsewhere, I know it's going to be a long hard slog but I can say I'm going to be cured and I will do all in my power to support the surgery and therapy teams doing their bit for me.