Surgery January 2021

Anyone having surgery this January want to join me in an extreme game of New Year new me?

I’m having a right mastectomy and ANC on Friday 8 January. My surgeon likes her mastectomy patients to be in overnight. I will have confirmation of this on Wednesday as I am seeing her for my ‘(clear ) CT scan explanation and reminder of what her plan is for me’ meeting. 

I’ve bought the cheapest full button sleeveless tunic that I will use as a night dress that I could find. That will be destined for the charity bag ASAP as I sleep in the nude and avoid button up stuff as much as possible as they always gape on me even when I go two sizes too big - just like this one. I do have several baggy camisole style nightdresses that I use to preserve my modesty if I I stay away somewhere (remember those days?) if needed. I’ve even sewn a tape into my dressing gown because one side fell off to help transport the drain. Although I do have a wonderful selection of lanyards! I already have a lovely range of lounging tops that I can get into without raising my right arm, I’ve a few gym zip up jackets that have big inside pockets and and I several of those magic bras that I can step in and out of - I hate wearing bras at the best of times. Although isn’t it ironic that I have recently found my perfect fit, can’t feel them on brand that I’ve been buying one or two a month of for the past few months? My BCN told me not to worry about that as my long term prosthetic will be be sorted to fit them.

I’ve discovered the snuggly joys of a V-pillow, I already had a body pillow from having a total hip replacement only 18-months ago. My biggest fear is not being able to sleep - I just cannot sleep on my back. After my hip op, I didn’t sleep for more than 2 hours a night with some very short catnapping during the day for the first 4 to 5 weeks.

Big supermarket deliveries of ready meals and easy cook stuff are sorted for the day before and week after. I’ve a ‘good riddance to bad rubbish’ video call booked in for the night before with my besties. I’ve been training my husband on how to put fresh bedding on properly - I’m lucky that he does most of the housework as he’s retired and he can work the dishwasher and washing machine.

I’m ready! I might sound gung-ho - I want to get on with it. As I’ve said elsewhere, I know it’s going to be a long hard slog but I can say I’m going to be cured and I will do all in my power to support the surgery and therapy teams doing their bit for me.

Hi there Gelbel - my goodness you’re organised, well done you.  Sincerely hoping everything goes as per the plan on 8th.  Just wanted to tell you that my mastectomy was the first op I’d had.  I was terrified, and assumed I’d be pretty helpless after surgery.  Like you, I stayed overnight and was discharged with drains.  A nurse made a home visit the following day to check all was well.  I was surprised at how well I felt.  I had no pain - best described as a little discomfort at most, which was quelled with paracetamol for a couple of days.  I was very tired - most likely my response to anaesthetic and the fact that I’d barely slept with anxiety leading up to op!  I did the recommended exercises religiously and found my arm movement was back to normal quicker than I expected.  My husband was wonderful and keen to look after me, but  as I felt OK,  I was itching to get back to some normality.  Will be thinking of you. D

Hi Gelbel - I’m in for the game! Heading for the final stage of my bilateral mastectomy (and immediate reconstruction) on Wednesday. Well, I hope - I haven’t heard otherwise, I’m booked in for a covid test tomorrow in prep, but I think until it actually happens I’m half-waiting to hear some covid-related something or other has delayed the whole thing. And like you, I’m just wanting it all over even as I’m absolutely dreading it.

You are *so* prepared! I thought I was doing okayish, but you’ve got me beat there :slightly_smiling_face: I think I’ve got enough sorted, though. Bag wasn’t entirely unpacked after last time, freezer is full, etc etc.

The sleep thing sucks. I got to experience that from September when I had the first stage of the op. But, what can you do? It does get better eventually.

At the moment what’s keeping me going is the thought that come, say, spring, when I’m done with the next lot of recovery, that’s me - I get to start getting my life back, and it will indeed be new and improved!

Fingers crossed for us both xx

I might have cracked the back sleeping malarky… :crossed_fingers: I found the body pillow I got for my hip op and put this at the end of the right hand side (will be the side of my mastectomy) of my V-pillow. When I got into bed I made sure the body pillow was very close to me.

Bingo! According to my Fitbit, best night’s sleep (and quality sleep) for quite a while. I know I snored like a pig though! 

Perhaps the length of the pillow supporting me down my right side made me think I was on my side? Dunno, but it worked.

Hi gelbel. I want to wish you the best of luck for friday. I’ve had my mastectomy (mon 4th) and I’m definitely doing the ‘new year, new me’ too! I need to lose weight and start eating healthier so I’m joining slimming world. I’m in the hospital now, but I’ve stayed in the town they gave me. I don’t think I’ll get to wear my new Pyjamas here lol. A v shaped pillow sounds like a good idea, I think I’ll need to buy one. I’m a side sleeper so I’m struggling with not being able to for now

Hello ladies, all done, back on ward, bit achy feel like done massive pec workout, certainly no pain. In for another 4 hrs at least for obs. Tea and toast I’ve just devoured was the best ever! Snooze time I think. 

Heart pillow and drain back just delivered - same colour as the cardi I wore in! 

Hope you are all safe and warm - snow here. Thank goodness none this morning when coming in…

Only having my drain out at 12pm. Just 15ml drainage in 24 hrs, I’m mobile, pain free (taking 3 paracetamol a day), exercising and keeping my fluids up so they are happy to remove it. :confetti_ball:

Yeah! Back to work today. #LovedIt Boss given me some projects that aren’t time bound so it won’t matter when I do them assuming I’m doing the hokey cokey with chemo. I want to work when I can/if I fancy it and they’re happy with that. 

I did my exercises throughout the day and stood up for calls.

I was awake from 3am worrying about that. I’m sure I’ll be ‘happier’ when I get my plan, which I assume will be at the onc. appointment tomorrow. Thank goodness for the cricket being on so early, a bit of Test Match Special soon helped take my mind off it… sort of.

How’s everyone doing? 

Gel x