Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surgery May 2018

Kip
Community Champion
Community Champion

Re: Surgery May 2018

Hi Feenix, post op I was driving again after a week, hardly any pain at all,  bit under arm where Snb was taken hurt the most I guess.  I got full movement back within 2 weeks.  I wear post op bras from George Asda and find they are not too chunky, I can wear strappy tops still, I am only A cup tho.  I use knitted knockers in my bra as still haven’t had my fitting for prosthesis but I have heard these can feel heavy.  I love my knitted knocker and was wearing bra on day 1 after op.   I may be having node clearance after chemo so don’t know how that will aff3ct things?  All in all I haven’t found being flat in one side too bad, found losing my hair worse although I know that doesn’t make sense as the hair should come back.   I don’t really think about it in the day as can’t feel the difference.  Hope that helps a bit...  

cdc1811

Good luck for tomorrow Kip! I’m also feeling pretty normal now too. I’ve never been able to hula hoop! Just haven’t worked out the technique to keep it on my waist! Il be a quarter of the way on 10th July. Good way of looking at it. Xx
SallyG63

Hi Feenix,

I don't drive so can't really comment on that but was ok and back to work 19 days post MX so if I could I'd have been driving by then. Of the two ops I had the mastectomy was by far the easier and fastest easier recovery. The node clearance and muscle shave was far trickier recovery and was the one that took 7 weeks to heal, probably cos they opened up the same scar that had not long since healed. I've had trouble finding comfortable post surgery bras cos they're all too thick, straps too thick and too high cut so they rub on scars. I've now gone back to wearing my normal underwired bras with a knitted knocker in. Much better. The worst thing for me is the heat because I can't now wear half my clothes and certainly not the flimsier summer stuff that I normally would when it's hot. I used to go braless half the time (still perky at 55) but that's out the window now.

After the actual operation I had no pain whatsoever, just a tiny bit of minor discomfort where I had my drain.
Feenix

Pleased you had a lovely day at the fete cdc. Your wounds sound much better even though there is exudate ... you’ll be pleased you don’t need those vac dressings for sure.

Yes ... a hula hoop . I did try to make one but it was too big so I bought a weighted one... bit bruising ... took it back. Last year I bought a lighter weighted hoop and I find that ok but would like an ordinary one. I’ve just started to try it again.

Im not up to your speed or stamina Kip... I’d be doing a couple of minutes 7 times a day !! I could probably do more if I put my mind to it but I do find I’m better at it since I’ve lost some weight...looking to get another 5kgs off.  I do hope cycle 2 will be as good as first... minimal se’s. it’ll be another one .    

I’ve meant to ask how you are doing post mx as you are some weeks post op.... healing, recovery, adapting, driving, bras etc.... any practical tips?..... that query to Sally also 

Hope everyone is having a good day

Im clocked in front of tv watching footie... out for another walk later

positive vibes to all

hugs xx

Kip
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi all, Feenix I hoola  hoop, have done for couple of years, 15 mins a day whilst listening to funky music, love it.  I have a weighted hoop from amazon and you can buy different weights and sizes to suit.  I think mine is 1,kg , very good for the waistline.  Glad to hear you are all doing well so far, chemo 2 tomorrow for me, hope it's as good as this time, feeling back to normal now... Oh well I'll be third of way there!  Keep positive ladies!  

cdc1811

Hi Feenix
Hooping? Is that like hula- hooping?! Sounds a fun way to get fit. I still have exudate from my wounds (oozing) which is a pain but they are considerably better than they were and I only need to dress them with gauze and steri-strips now and not those awful negative pressure vacuum dressings!!! My daughter's school fete was fun as she and a friend decided to enter the talent contest. They did well singing a cappella. They then went off together and left my OH and I to catch up with a few people we have't seen for a while.. It was a good day. Earlier my daughter handed me a piece of paper. 6 of her best friends had written get well messages to me and signed it. Very, very sweet of them.

mcnulcc really interesting to be able to trace your family history back to the 1500s!! The WW1 side of things has always fascinated me. My Grandma's brother lied about his age and signed up when he was 16. That side of the family are from South Wales and the choice was to go down the pits or to go to war. The Tredegar war memorial is full of the names of very young men- not even men really just boys. My Great-Grandma was able to pay some money and get him home but he just signed up again at the age of 17 and was killed by a sniper in Ypres. Last year we went to Bard Cottage Cemetery to pay our respects and to see where he was buried. We later headed to the Flanders Field museum and whilst looking through a book on child soldiers I found him listed along with details of how he had died. It was an intensely moving experience. I think my brother uses Ancestry.com and he also had his DNA tested through them. We have Irish connections and found out our links to America go way back too. Really great you were able to help your Grandson with his project. xx
Feenix

I found the app for my OH cdc but he’s never used it. I’m fine walking but really need to do target exercises to tone up...I started hooping but want a lighter hoop. I need to lose more weight too. I think walking is just right for going through surgery and chemo.... you’ll get back to swimming eventually. Hope issues with wounds are “little” ones. Interesting family tree ... wonder what I would find in mine ... probably boring stuff. Hope you enjoyed your daughters school fete and survived the heat. Humour is good .... like it Smiley LOL

Definitely sounds like it will grab your attention full time mcnulcc  ... ancestry . com must have been good.

Seaside beckoned today .... busy place .... long walk  

Have a good night all xx

mcnulcc

I recently did mine and my husbands family trees on both maternal and paternal sides. Did it with the help of Ansestry.com. It can take over your days if your not careful but I discovered lots that we didn't know about. Relatives on both sides who fought in WW1. A great great uncle who was given an MBE a whole raft of the Irish side of the family who went to America in the 1800s. However my grandson was so impressed when I was able to give him a family tree for a school project that traced my dad's side of the family living in Devon back to the early 1500s when Henry the eighth was king!!.. Think its one of those things that you should save for the winter when you don't want to go outside. Xx
cdc1811

I really do need to up my fitness levels. I am very impressed with the Couch to 5k Ap. Not that I've attempted it yet but my brother who suffers from very high blood pressure has been doing it for a couple of months and from only being able to run for a minute, can now do 25. It also lowers his blood pressure which is the main aim for him. I don't feel very robust physically at the moment as still have some issues from my re-excision and fatigue but I will definitely try and walk more. I love swimming but have been told I mustn't do it - firstly because of my surgery and now because of the risk of picking up infections. It will be a very happy day when I can get back in the pool. Tracing the family history is always very interesting. My brother is obsessed. He has a page dedicated to ours on Facebook! Latest is that our 11 x Great Grandfather Alderman John Byde, was Master of the Brewers' company in the City in 1653 and was also the Sheriff of London in 1647. His brewery produced one of Samuel Pepys favourite ales and he talks about it in his diary! All fascinating stuff. We also have illegitimacy in the family and cousins marrying cousins. Must have been very interesting to visit Lincoln cathedral Michelle with your family connection. How sad that your grandmother's mother felt she had to give her away. Times were certainly very different then. Hope everyone has a good day. I'm off to my daughter's School Fete - Oh joy of joys! My Dad used to always call such things 'A fete worse than death'! But maybe I shouldn't joke about such things on a BC forum!!! Take Take Care and hugs to all xxx
Feenix

It must be very satisfying doing a family tree.... fascinating what can be found out. Good link to Lincoln. I did think about doing mine some time ago but didn’t  find out how to do it so it went by the way. I know my cousin did his family tree but don’t know if he found out anything of interest on my mother’s side but he did email some old family photos.

It’s amazing how time is going by for you.... number 5  and hopefully it will go as well as the ones before. It must be a really good feeling Michelle and I feel quite excited for you too. You’ll  be starting to think about your your surgery next.

Youre never boring Michelle and I agree that walking is a good help... exercise and getting out and about. I’m sure you’ll be out running your half marathons next year. I was toying with trying running but I’d probably end up just walking quickly !! I’ve never been into it before so I don’t know why I would think I’d be ok with it now, or be able to do it. Maybe I’ll try it but I need to build up gradually ... the OH  is keen to get running again, although it is some years since he did it. I think getting back into swimming might be more my thing.  My bike is still in the shed and OH is keen it stays there until he gets back... he’s worried I’ll come off the thing. I actually don’t like my bike  ... think it’s too big and heavy !!!??

Heres to gremlin free days... well, a break from them at least Smiley LOL

The only constant thing in life is change.

xx

Michelle21

Lovely photos Feenix, I traced my family history a couple of years ago as my grandmother was illegimate. I found out her mother had her when she was 30, gave her away and married 2 years later to a vicar. Before you wonder if I’m on the wrong forum wittering on like this he was ordained in Lincoln Cathedral! Got there eventually! We went there a year or two ago and it is a beautiful cathedral. Glad you had a good day it is amazing what a day out can do but sadly there is no avoiding the downs they sneak up on us. It’s so easy to let the mind wonder and sometimes I think it’s good to let it out but not easy at the time.
I had chemo 5 today so getting very excited about seeing the end but also keeping my fingers tightly crossed that it continues to go without any major hitches.
Exercise targets always great idea in my book, waking has really helped me through chemo as I’ve probably bored you with before, I’m getting really excited at the thought of getting out for a few runs in between chemo and surgery, although I imagine my fitness has plummeted. I ran a half marathon 1 week before I was diagnosed. Funny how your life can alter ciursebin a blink of an eye. Still I will be running half’s again next year, I have no doubt!
Hope everyone one on chemo is doing ok xx
Feenix

Great ktk... I’d not noticed xx

Feenix

Afternoon ladies

I really must get my brain cell in gear and see where you all are with ct.... 2nd cycles must be coming up.

I had a really good day yesterday, think it was being out and about but whew it was hot... today much the same weather wise although It will be a Smiley LOLbit cooler here on east coast.... looked yellow on the weather forecast map whereas everywhere else was red.

Ive been out this morning but got leaky eyed while driving around ... stray thoughts... not good. Being up and down is normal I tell myself but I do prefer it when I’m on an upward trend.  I’m probably peed off because If all had gone according to plan I would have, most likely, been finishing active treatment now. Anyway, it didn’t and I haven’t and I really need to embrace that, accept that it is what it is. 

“Mantra” stuck on fridge as a reminder that we all get through what we have to.

Watching a bit of tennis for a change ... much prefer the men’s game tho.

What a boring England game last night ... they’d better get on track for the next match Smiley LOL

cdc ... the good thing about yesterday was that I walked nearly 6 miles. I really need to up my exercise though. Thinking about getting the bike out of shed ... whether it goes anywhere remains to be seen 🙂

A bit more exercise, along with my better eating may equal more weight loss which would be good although not much chance of getting down to spelk  like dimensions any time soon.  Wonder if I should try the couch to 5k app ?? ..... always a first for everything ... on second thoughts might just stick to the bike and get some gardening done and weed the drive  Smiley LOL

Hope you’re all having a good day.. medication on board as needed and se’s kept at bay

Positive vibes

xx

ktk

Not that I’m competitive, but May has beaten April 😜
cdc1811

Feenix great photos. I did go to Lincoln a few times when I was studying in Nottingham but haven’t been back for many, many years. It’s now on my list of places to visit when treatment is finished. Glad you’re OH is keeping in touch and you’re feeling s bit more normal. Also that you haven’t had any side effects from the Letrozole. Long may that continue!!
Mcnkucc 12000 steps is impressive. I was only averaging around 8000 even before diagnosis. It’s good to set a target. Have a good evening everyone xx
cdc1811

That really is good news Michelle. I’ve not heard of a birthmark on the liver before very interesting. Hope you can have a restful evening xx
Feenix

080082BE-9B93-4893-B425-AD0FE24D8E59.jpeg203F6E8D-7D9F-438E-A710-705CAED667AC.jpeg809B1240-78AF-4B7C-955D-BE44EBFEDA12.jpeg

Just for you  mnculcc xhugx

Feenix

Hi mcnulcc .... if I can do Steep Hill I’m sure you can Smiley LOL  Actually not caught up with the Christmas Market. Pleased pic has brought back some lovely memories. I do like Lincoln ... bit steeper to get to Cathedral as compared to my home town of Durham xx

mcnulcc

Ahh Feenix my grandad came from Lincoln have done steep hill a few times but not sure I could manage it at the moment. I am getting out walking aiming for mimimum of 12000 steps a day. Have you done the Christmas Market at Lincoln. Used to take my grandad many fond memories been brought back xx
Feenix

cdc ... forgot to say I saw that your genetic results came back .... good you’re not BRCA although I know there are still answers to questions yet to be revealed xx

Feenix

B09D59FA-BC32-4225-B079-7D80AA98ECB9.jpeg

Onwards and upwards .... good exercise Smiley LOL

ktk

Glad to hear your news Michelle x.
Feenix

Cdc you've had such a lovely , recharge the batteries break with your lovely mam...thats so great, getting some normality back .. mams are lovely.. I do miss mine. I'm not a gardener either, but we have a good sized one... I could post a pic of the abundant weeds !! I'm in Lincoln at the minute... it's hot hot hot so having a cuppa to keep fluids up. Hubby and sis in law have given me a call luckily when I'd got to the top of Steep Hill (clues in the name) and had had a breather.... they keep checking up on me... but I'm feeling a bit more myself today.
I've no side effects from Letrozole... started on Crescent brand.
Big hugs xx
Feenix

Great news Michelle... xhugx
Kip
Community Champion
Community Champion

Woop Woop….that's fabulous news Michelle...so pleased..
Michelle21

Had the ultrasound and thank goodness they are nothing untoward! The one on my liver looks like a type of birthmark. There is a medical name but I’ve forgotten that already. Whenever I get any info it appears all I can retain is whether it is good or bad news! There are 2 cysts on my ovary but that’s exactly what they are cysts. It’s such a relief. Thanks, it really helps having support from ladies who know exactly what this feels like xx
cdc1811

Good luck Michelle! Thinking of you.

Hi Feenix The country walks were lovely.
Back in London now but I'm so pleased to know that the journey to my Mums is doable. I used to go down every Wednesday to help when my Dad was ill and continued to go and see her when she started her BC treatment. I haven't been there for a couple of months so it was wonderful! She has a beautiful garden so I slapped on the Factor 50 and watered it for her. l really enjoyed it and I'm not much of a gardener as I live in a flat! So good to see her at home too. She has come up to attend appointments with me etc but it was just lovely to catch up without having to get to the hospital! I'm hoping to get down and least twice in weeks 2 and 3 of each cycle. Anything that brings a sense of normality back to my life is wonderful!

How are you getting on especially with your OH away? Any side effects from the Letrozole? I do hope not. Restarting the Yoga sounds a great idea. Been thinking of you xx
Kip
Community Champion
Community Champion

Thinking of you Michelle21, fingers crossed!

Michelle21

Thankyou so much for your replies, I really appreciate it. I know I won’t have any answers until tomorrow but it’s good to hear from those who have been through similar and get how I am feeling. Thanks again xx
Feenix

cdc .. hope you’re still enjoying the country walks at your mams. What you say about  ct scan picking up ‘something’ is very logical and makes sense.  Xx

Feenix

mcnulcc...Chris ....great you’ve got your rads planning date..will pop onto your thread also to see you’re doing ok.  I started Letrozole last week. OH arrived safely ... WhatsApp a godsend. I’m pottering, planning things to do, places to go and trying not to overthink.... going to restart my yoga nidra as it helps to me destress.... good in the run up to surgery. Good luck with rads... hope minimal se’s or better still, none Smiley LOL

xhugx

cdc1811

Hi Michelle I got my results yesterday. Bone scan and echocardiogram all fine. CT has picked up something on my liver and also my gall-bladder. My oncologist was very reassuring and said that it is policy to scan again if anything, however minor, shows up. Doesnt expect it will be cancer. Most likely fatty deposits on liver or a cyst (My Mum who has had BC twice has a liver cyst which is benign) and as i’ve had gallstones before I’m sure that’s what the CT scan has picked up. (My Mum had her gall bladder removed too and that was also a benign condition-I seem to be taking after her!). I’ve been booked in for another MRI. I’m managing to keep the worry gremlins at bay on this occasion but do understand how scary it can be waitin pg for more scans and results. Sending a huge sympathetic hug! Xxx
Feenix

Brill Kip.... what a relief. I have a friend who chose to have rads to axilla instead of anc. She has some residual pain in arm from the radiotherapy but nothing that isn’t manageable. Celebrate tonight xx

Debbie61

Hi Michelle. I had the same - CT picked up something on liver so had to have another MRI - it was nothing. Debbie x

Kip
Community Champion
Community Champion

Yes that's easier said than done though, I understand that...at least you have the scan tomorrow and don't have to wait too long.
Michelle21

Thanks Kip, you are right they do pick up everything and the Onc seemed fairly positive, I just need to try and put it out of my mind for a while x
Kip
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Feenix, all scans were normal.. phew! Big sigh of relief, now just keep on with the chemo, decide whether to have lymph node removal afterwards (not sure about that one?) and then onto rads...thanks for keeping everything crossed... that was a scary appointment xx
Kip
Community Champion
Community Champion

Good luck with the rads MCNLUCC, the home straight for you! I'll keep an eye on your posts in readiness for my turn. Take care and thank you too for all your support. xx Kip

Kip
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Michelle, sorry to hear your results, but I have read other threads on here where things just turn out to be normal lumps and bumps and nothing nasty, I think the scans pick up anything and everything, sending you much love and big hugs to you.

Michelle21

Hi all
I had my CT results today. It came back with what looks like 2 cysts, one on my liver and one on my ivary. They have said to confirm they will do an ultrasound and have booked me in tomorrow. Has anyone here had this happen to them? I’m so scared they are more cancer. X
mcnulcc

KIP good luck today everything crossed for you
Ktk hope you are okay and holding up
Cdc hope you have managed to get to your mums
Fennix hope your taking it easy has your OH arrived safe and well?.

Have finally got my Rads planning appointment on 13th July. Minimal side effects from the Letrozole so that's good.

You are all so very brave and the support you are giving each other is amazing. I will probably be joining the July radiotherapy thread next but will keep coming back to see how you are all getting on.

Your support and advice whilst I have been on the surgery and results journey has kept me sane I cannot thank you enough for your support I have everything crossed for all of you. Sending big hugs and lots of love Chris xx
Feenix

I’m sending you a great big hug ...  everything crossed for your results .... Heart xx

Kip
Community Champion
Community Champion

Onc results to day, absolutely petrified....on the plus side wearing new wig, good to have some hair, although takes some getting used to.  I burst into tears just seeing it in the box but have braved the village this morning.. almost makes you want someone to ask about your hair just so you can say "ha! its a wig!"".

Hope you all have good days today, I'll report in later with onc results!  big hugs Kip xxx

Feenix

Afternoon ladies

Kip ... our old selves are still there just a bit trampled on ... we will emerge, rise above the changes bc has brought about, the cr@p it’s chucked at us and be better for it.  Got to stay positive although that’s easier said than done... some days will be better than others. I have to have a positive mantra going through my head when I go into scared rabbit in the headlights mode. ... might write it down and pin it to fridge as a reminder. How are you adapting to your haircut? I’m conscious it’s your appointment tomorrow so I’ve got everything crossed. I’m surprised they don’t have Christmas things in the shops by now !!! Smiley LOL  ... maybe after the summer sales ?? You’ll soon be planning and getting organised for it, so it’ll feel nearer.

cdc .... hope your onc appt has gone ok. Pleased you’re feeling much improved today. Have a lovely time at your mam’s.... enjoy the country air and walks. 

ktk ... hope you’re having an ok day today

After a overcast start the day has turned sunny again ... not much of a view first thing at seaside

74C230E0-EBDD-44FF-8C15-B7D8929B1516.jpeg

cdc1811

The sennokot has done the trick for me too Kip! Woohoo! Feel so much better! Feel like some of the toxins have been flushed away! Xxx

I’m feeling much brighter today. My friend who has been clear of BC for 8 years told me that memories of the treatment will eventually fade as time moves on. In the short term it’s helpful to realise that I no longer feel as I did on Sunday when I just felt like giving up on everything.. It gives me hope to know that the horrendous days don’t last. Sending my best wishes and positive vibes to everyone. Xxx
Kip
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hear Hear Feenix.. I keep thinking of Christmas and hoping that all this crap will be fading away...I need "me" back too!   Perhaps we just get a new version of "me"? 

Kip
Community Champion
Community Champion

CDC - I had a day or two constipation, nurse said to take sennokot, I took one before bed and it worked and all back to normal.
Feenix

Yes Michelle I do remember your chemo happening really quickly. Everything still feels surreal. I’m onto my 3rd op .. pretty gutted and having some difficulties deciding what to do but prob go for mx and have some time to think whether I really want recon.... plus I’ll still have the post op mx histology result to get and I want to make sure there’s no more surprises.

A breather is a good idea as there are always decisions to consider, weigh up pros and cons. 

Hoping that this Christmas will be good for all this year ... sad thing is there’s always other women following us down this cr@p road.

Anyway some things we just can’t seem to escape and have to get on with things as best we can .... and definitely keep talking

xx

Feenix

Sounds like a plan ktk Smiley LOL

Michelle21

Hi Feenix, as you may remember I started chemo 8 days after diagnosis. In some ways that feels like a lifetime ago as life really has turned upside down since as it does for all of us. But actually the chemo seems to have gone by fairly quickly. I think the nice weather has helped. Yes 5th cycle on Friday, 6th on 20th July and then I’m done and move on to surgery, followed by rads. Hopefully some sort of normal life will return at Christmas although I’m not sure I will feel ‘normal’ for a long time after that. How do you come to terms with all of this?
I read that you will be having a mx too. Will that be your 3rd op? Sorry you are having such an awful time, none of it is easy but to have to keep going back to more bad news must be very difficult emotionally. I hope it all gets sorted soon. I understand your thoughts on recon too. I don’t think I can have a recon straight way because of radiotherapy. I think this will be a good thing as it willl give me some breathing space away from hospitals and treatment etc.
We have both come a long way since the dark days in March x