62235members
327618posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surgery May 2018

Re: Surgery May 2018

Michelle ... pleased that rhyme has a foothold in the south too ... wonder if the kids know it now ...prob not on social media 😂 My aunt used to make her own and put ham off the bone in it. I saw a prog recently about a Geordie guy who makes it with a variety of flavours...think he has his own deli/sarnie shop. You must have needed to rest ... and you can’t beat a baked pot ..goes with anything and so easy..just the ticket. Take it easy in all that traffic. Put your feet up when back home. Hugs Xx

I used to sing that rhyme at primary school! And that was in the south, although I don’t know many other people who have eaten it! My mum used to do it with gammon.
I didn’t even get as far as a shopping list this afternoon, I went to bed instead so it’s jacket potato tonight!
The weather has turned here now and is pouring, I wish my appts for rads weren’t all so flipping late! 5.15 tonight and then battle the traffic. X

Kip ... pease pudding is made from boiling split yellow peas... it’s traditionally served with ham/gammon. Eat it cold or it can be fried. It hails from the northeast of England where I come from... there’s a saying  “pease pudding hot, pease pudding cold, pease pudding in the pot, nine days old”. It’s a staple like pie and peas, mushy of course. The tinned stuff used to be ‘ok’ in the 80’s but it’s dire now. Just got a tin to try ...yuk. I’m definitely getting some of the real deal next week. How’s your thumb now?

Michelle .... that’s a good plan to cook in the afternoon.... keep it simple while you are feeling tired...something in one pot... or get a takeaway for a treat !!

Clare ... hope you’re doing ok. How are your feet? 

Gardening done. Have quite a few windfall Bramley apples so I’m going to have to make a pie. I’ve been resisting but it’s got to be done...I do like pie though 😀 

Xx

Kip Community Champion
Community Champion

Yes Feenix… what is in Pease Pudding? I used to have the tinned stuff in the 80s too. I now fancy a hot chocolate Michelle, mmmm unfortunately that leads to biscuits too...oh dear how will I ever stop. The bowling ball is about right too, feels so strange even though it doesn't look swollen.

Oh dear Kip your Klingon is really Klinging on. I really hope it slows down soon.
Well done on salads and home made soup. When I was growing up we used to have pease pudding, from a tin, it was the 80’s! What is it made from? Is it chick pea’s or lentils? I haven’t had it for years!
I’m like you Kip I’ll never stop at a square or two of chocolate, even dark choc! However my cold seems to have suppressed my appetite which is highly unusual for me! So I am making the most of it as I’m sure it won’t last for long and I’m trying to make sure the food I do eat is healthy. My one treat is a hot chocolate in the evening. I don’t buy the sugar laced one although it probably still has a few calories but it does help to take the edge off the sweet craving.
Kip when I first had my op done I described it as feeling like a bowling ball under my arm, then it went down to a tennis ball now it just feels a bit funny sometimes, so it is improving! Keep up the exercises you’ll need the flexibility if you are having rads.
I’m trying to summon the energy to do a list and go to the supermarket. That way I can prepare dinner this afternoon. My rads appts are mostly between 4.30/5pm, so with the traffic and the delays it’s an effort to cook when I get back.
The weather here is cold and fresh, it’s nice to have the sun shining. Enjoy your gardening Jean, hope you have less drainage Kip and CDC hope you are feeling better, have a good day x

Morning

Kip ... I really must be better and make my own soup ... I only have the ready made stuff to hand. When you make your own food at least you know what’s in it and it tastes better.... and most is easy to make. I’ve been on a mission to find fresh made pease pudding, to no avail. I think it’s because it’s a Northern thing. So, I’ll have to make my own. Or... as I’m travelling north next week I may pick up a supply of Durham pease pudding while I’m there 😊    Watching tv = snacks ... that’s where a square or two of chocolate comes in handy for me. You deserve a nibble, a biscuit or 5 and a cake...

That Klingon is mightily fond of you ☹️ 

Clare and Michelle ... hope you are both on an upward trend today.

Sun is out here which is great because we’ve got to do some gardening and fill up the bins ready for collection tomorrow.... I’d better get a move on

have a good day

xx

Kip Community Champion
Community Champion

Well done Feenix with the salad and only a couple of squares of choc.. i can never manage to only have a couple of squares.. one just leads to another.  I started off really well yesterday, normal breakfast (porridge and fruit), then made vegetable soup for lunch.. then in the afternoon got the nibbles and ate biscuits and then by evening watchin the Bake Off.. had to have a cake... grrrr.. oh well will try again today.

Klingon still klingin on again today I think...

Kip

xx

Your drain certainly can’t take the hint Kip. Hope it’s out before the weekend. You’re certainly having weird sensations in the underarm area.... I guess when there’s nerve damage it changes your perception of the area. Im always checking my arm.

The weather hasn’t been too good here either. Did some walking around the shops this morning but that’s it...apart from a bit of wiifit. No biscuits in the house and I’ve started having a salad for one meal a day...no carbs. Let’s see how long that lasts !!! I do have a square or two of 90% dark chocolate a day ... that sorts out my chocolate craving 😊 

Hope you all have a good night

xx

Kip Community Champion
Community Champion

Morning ladies, and thanks Charys for you lovely words.   It is so encouraging when you find that everyone struggles along the way of this journey... I know I do, one minute up the next down again, there is nothign wrong with a good cry/rant I find!

Michelle - glad you are getting out for a walk, thats what I find helps me too, I go out regularly with some other ladies and I rant and moan and they are now experts in all things BC!  

Feenix - Yes I bought my Mum a book called "knit your own farm" for her birthday as she loves knitting and goes stir crazy if she hasn't got a project.. hence I have a supply of KKs!   There is every animal in the book plus their babies, so far she has almost completed the cow, its lovely, not sure what she will do with a knitted farm afterwards by hey!  Excellent that you are going on the Moving On course, you will be able to tell us all about it.  I've heard good things about it.

My Klingon is still klinging on.. and wont' be budging today either...still not down low enough to have the drain removed...1 week today and counting.   The weird underarm feeling is so strange too, I remember reading somewhere that one lady said if felt like "somebody had wedged a book under there" and I thought "what?" but now I get that exactly... thats what it feels like.   I feel like my arm is twice the size.. but when I check it isnt at all just feels weird!  Oh well I see the BC on Friday for dressing inspection so I can ask her to check everything then if needs be!

Pouring with rain here... so that put pay to my quick walk round the block before work... oh dear, maybe I'll have a biscuit instead...Smiley Wink

Kip

xx

Thanks Charys x

Thanks Jean, I’m meeting my friends for my walk this morning. I don’t feel great but hopefully will feel better in my head after a walk and talk. X

Kip ... love that your mam is knitting a farm. Great you’re feeling well...not so great your drain is like a Klingon and not wanting to leave you. Once you get rid of it your daughter will be much happier, as will you. Your daughter sounds lovely ... hope the boyfriend is canny. Hope your OH perks up soon....It’s definitely hard on them. Nicola Jane bras are popular... I’d maybe wait for the sales !! I’ve sent off for an Asda bra to try but I’ll definitely look on Nicola J website. 

Michelle.. always feel free to say how you feel. Kip has put it so well. I know rads aren’t ‘easy’ from what a friend told me when she had them last year, but realise everyone has different experiences. You won’t be feeling so good if you’ve got a cold, rads can be really tiring, the treatment itself and the travelling, you’ve not been out for your usual walk, you’re back on the treatment rollercoaster and they can feel never ending... but you may find some counselling helps you along, Sending you gentle hugs.

Clare ... hoping you had a bit better day

Im on the Moving Forward course next month so will let you know what it’s like.

Jean xxx

Community Champion

Hey Michelle, (and Hi to Kip!)

I can remember crying in a room after seeing the consultant, and I was alone then with my BC nurse. I kept apologising and saying I should be able to cope, but I coudln't control myself at all. She looked at me and said 'this is a BIG deal' [the diagnosis], that why we have counsellors who deal with it and nurses who are there to help and guide. Its a tough road, a really tough road, that will push you further mentally than you thought you could go - but you will travel it and come to the other side Smiley Happy

Somebody said 'rads was a walk in the park?' - ey - I'd rather have a walk in any park! I guess some people respond better to it than others, some don't have major problems or skin issues or exhaustion - some do. I guess whoever said it may have been very lucky and got away a 'walk in the park-like feeling'. lol Many of these comments, like that one, are designed to encourage you and make you feel better about undertaking treatment, unfortunately when you fail to feel that 'walk in the park' feeling it all feels somewhat more distressing. ( I will add though, there are some treatments that are obviously much harder than others and take an even greater toll on the body)

Thanks for your kind words Kip, you are so right being back on patient made brings the enormity of it all back to reality. That’s exactly how I feel. People outside of here just don’t get it so it’s so great to have you lovely ladies xx
Kip Community Champion
Community Champion

Oh Michelle dont apologise, you are allowed down moments, we wouldn't be human if we didn't! All the treatments are tough in their own way.  Lets face it what is normal about lopping of bits of your body .filling yourself with poison or frying yourself on a weekly basis in a machine??  Surprising we dont have more melt downs actually.  I find it hard being back in patient mode at the hospital as it bringx the enormity of it all right back into reality.  some counselling may be good, k think. I will ve gojng on the movjnt on course if i can once treatment is finished,

.dont be hard on yourself. Leg fhe tears come if uou need to, sometimes a good cry is what you

need.  Big hugs

Kip

Xxxxx

This really is a rollercoaster we are on isn't it CDC and I’m not a fan of any type of rollercoaster and especially not this emotionally and physically draining one. You really do have a lot of uncertainty with your treatment to contend with and I think that makes things harder. I know our OH’s are also going through a lot but I’m sure yours will be ok taking the reins briefly.
I’ve just had a few tears myself in my rads weekly review. She’s referred me for counselling but I think I’m just having a low day. I didn’t walk this morning because of my cold and it makes such a difference to how I feel. Having said that I also find you hear people saying rads is a walk in the park but it’s not. I feel like a patient again going to Velindre everyday, putting the gown on, sitting under a machine. I was feeling very positive before rads started and now I’ve started to think negatively. It doesn’t help that they are often running late so more time to dwell!
Kip it sounds like your daughter has a distraction for now! I hope the boyfriend meets your approval! The drain is a very visible sign that things aren’t ‘normal’ so hopefully she will feel a bit better when it’s out.
Jean your Kk is looking great, you must post a picture when it is finished!
Sorry for being on a bit of a downer but this is just hard sometimes isn’t it? X
Kip Community Champion
Community Champion

Sorry meant to say Bravo for reaching the top of Pen y Fan Michelle, go girl.  I couldn't climb the top of the stairs without getting out of puff!

Kip

xx

Kip Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Ladies,  well done Feenix with the KK.. its coming along, once you have done one its apparently easier (according to my mum, who is currently knitting her own farm!!). 

I'm feeling pretty well at the moment, still stiff and a bit sore and still attached to the dreaded drain, no sign of it coming out today either, still draining too much grrrr.  Otherwise ok, just trying not to think of the results next week.

Sorry to hear you are feeling so fed up Clare, I'm sure the flamin' steroids will be to blame, rest up and you'll soon bounce back again.  I feel I haven't seen my daughter for days, she is too in Luurve with her boyfriend to hang around with her old mum, shes really become a teenager, out shopping, chatting with freinds, make up.. eeek when did that all start.  I guess its good she's keeping herself occupied, but she did ask again last night "when will you be back to normal".. what a question to try to answer.  She hates the drain and I think that keeps her at arms length too.  Hope you little one is ok and your OH is feeling better, funnily enough my OH has been under the weather too, and thinks its a build up of stress and anxiety over me.. It must be hard to watch someone you love go through this I guess.  I'll give him a break and allow him to wallow for a while Smiley Wink

Regarding earlier the conversation about post operative bras I have asked a friend of mine who had MX 2 years ago and she buys hers from a catalogue called Nicola Jane (on line website).  They aren't always the cheapest but do offer all sorts of styles and fabrics.  My friend is large busted and finds that when she bends forward (she is a nurse so has to lean over patients) sometimes she would flash a hint of lopsided cleavage and Nicola Jane do bras which have a built in panel to prevent this, worth looking at.  She also buys from M&S and Debenhams but N Jane is her preferred outlet.  They also do swimwear, clothing and have a range of bras not only for MX but for reconstruction and radiotherapy.  I feel some online shopping coming on and I can't blame the chemo brain now!  Eeek.  Just taken a look at the website and lots to offer.  Now where's my credit card.....

...Michelle .. great you got to the top of your climb. Hope you get over your cold soon. Steady away ... hopefully you’ll soon be back to your usual energy levels after rads. I’ve never tried following a crochet pattern... did squares only and sometimes they were a bit Pete Tong. Wonder what my KK will look like when finished !!?? Christmas will soon be here 😊 

Clare ... sending hugs... hope you and OH feel much better soon.

image.jpgThis could take some time 😂 

Kip .. hope you’re doing ok and not trying to throw your drain out the window... might it be out soon ?

Well done for getting to the top of Pen y fan Michelle! It’s good to push ourselves at times isn’t it but I do think we all have a tendency to over do things, Hope your cold clears up soon. I’m no hill/mountain climber but I do try and carry on with my life as normal and it’s really hit me today that that is just not possible. This is my second afternoon in bed. I’m physically, mentally and emotionally drained. Glad you’ve had your daughter at home for the weekend. I’m sure she’s just enjoyed spending time with you even if you’re not feeling at your best, I feel I’ve hardly seen my daughter this today. I’ve really had to rely on my OH to take the reins which has been tough on him as he’s not feeling that great at the moment either. Just keep reminding myself we won’t feel this crappy forever!

Kip I’ll definitely take a look at Mai 7s blog after my next surgery as I’m sure I’ll need a different bra type/size then, How are you feeling post your surgery? Not too sore I hope. I noticed another thread where someone was having to make the decision between having nodes taken out or just having radiotherapy. It’s so hard to make decisions at times, I’m waiting to hear whether my original surgeon agrees with the consultant at the Marsden, that I don’t necessarily need a mastectomy. However, she’s the one that told me that a MX would be my next step after chemo so I, pretty sure she’ll still hold that view especially with my family history.

Jean, and all of you knitting your own KKs - respect!- hope they are coming along nicely.

It’s been a miserable day up here - the weather has reflected my mood so I hope they both brighten tomorrow!

Hugs to all xxx

Hello, sounds like everyone is doing ok but don’t blame you beings fed up with the drain Kip. Fingers crossed it’s out soon.
I also read mai’s blog in the early days. It gave me a bit of hope when I needed it.
I did get to the top of Pen y fan. I was breathless but so was a friend, so that made me feel less like it was because of treatment however on Friday I got the beginnings of a cough and cold and haven’t felt great since so probably over did it. I find it so frustrating, in my head I want to go on longer runs and walks but my body is letting me down. Hopefully when rads is over I will start to gain energy.
I’m impressed at you knitting your own knocker! Where else could you say that?!! I taught myself crochet last year but every pattern I’ve followed ends up looking not quite how it should!
My eldest has been home this weekend, it’s lovely to have her here but wish I’d been feeling better. Next time she’ll be back will be Christmas!
Beautiful day today but it has definitely turned into wood burner weather! Happy Sunday everyone x

A wood burner sounds lovely and cosy Kip. The KK pattern is easy and I’m plodding on with 2 needles ... not getting very far as I’m not picking it up very often. Hope you get that drain out asap. Keep up with those exercises. Sounds as though you’re doing great.  I think I read Mai’s Blog “in the beginning”. 

Its been raining/hailstones today so I’ve not been out walking ... hopefully tomorrow will be better.

have a good night

xx

Kip Community Champion
Community Champion

Ladies have you read the blog Life after Lola...  mai7 has written it and shes added a link on the October chemo starters page (latest post)... She has some links to sites for bras, i thjnk jn the surgery section... Might be worth a look?

Kip Community Champion
Community Champion

Hj Feenix, my mum knits mine on 2 needles, says its quite easy once you've done one.  Well done with the Boudicc a bra.  Im still sat in bed with the darn drain attached, ive done the exercises but would be easier without the drajn.  My last one had a really long tube so i could sit in the bath and drape it over the side and stand it on the floor.  This one is so short it doesnt reach so just makes everything hard!  It was a chilly night here to but perfect for firing up the wood burner..  lovely 

Kip ... I’m going to try the cotton rich ones from Asda ... when my size is available. I’ll send off for one of the others just to check the sizing. As long as they are comfortable that’ll do me. I’ve never been fussy about bras. Boudicca bra off now... I lasted all day 😊 

I can see my snb scar over the top of the side ... my mx was done to join up with it. I don’t find it uncomfortable .. I’m a little bit numbish there anyway. 

I’ve started to knit a KK but on 2 needles at the moment, just to try it out. If I can’t find my other knitting needles I’ll have to buy more so I can knit it in one go ie circular. 

Very chilly tonight ... winter here we come ❄️ ☹️ 

Kip Community Champion
Community Champion

Oh dear Sally that's tricky. I have a friend who has had mx jn last couple of years, ill fjnd out where she shops! Everyone deserves some nice comfy undies don't they

Kip Community Champion
Community Champion

Yes from the post op range, have a try

Is yours from the post op bra range Kip ?

Hi Kip ... I’m going to send off for an Asda bra..that one looks good and comfy. I’m wearing my freebie Boudicca bra just to get used to wearing a proper one again and stretch it a bit.. it feels ok.

I hope your aches and pains are improving. Fingers crossed you get your drain out soon. 

Cdc... great you’re having your chemo today

Michelle ... hope you’re recovered off climbing that mountain. How’s the rads going? 

Lovely and sunny here. A small portion of fish and chips beckon for lunch ... warrants popping along to the seaside with a flask of tea ... nice walk too ... burn off some of the calories.

J xx

I do have 3 bras from Asda (though not that one which the lacy bits would stop me wearing)) two which are cotton which would normally be fine but they are cut too high under the arms so rub.
Kip Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Feenix and Sally here is the bra i get from asda on line, i realise it does have a bit of lace but very soft...  20181026_094730.jpg

Hi Sally...I just caught up with the June chemo thread and see that you are going to get your prosthesis. Hope you get it soon and find it’s good. I empathise on the bra side of things and I know what you mean about having the right material. Like you I often see clothes I like but the material is awful ... I too have to feel material. I much prefer cotton, linen, natural materials... hoping I can find a cotton bra. I did wear an m&s post op bra  some time  after wle and they are definitely odd but it did disguise my missing bit. I tried it after mx but it was rubbish.... going to be donated. I have yet to look at proper bras again .. I’m still in soft front fastening ones. I do wear peacocks crop tops as well and I’ve an m&s secret support vest which is quite firm fitting and works great over the crop tops to keep everything in place, especially when active. Im also going to look at non mx bras and if good get pockets sewn in. Have you had a look at doing that? Your fitting service should do a couple of pockets for free if you can find a good bra that doesn’t irritate your scar. That may be better if you need low sides... or do you need deep sides?

I thought that all women got a bra at fitting but obviously not. 

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

This is the bra I was given by my fitter ...it’s soft, very slight padding, cotton pockets. Out of Woman Zone ... I was given a catalogue of their products... some quite dear which is usually the case. I would have to send off for Nicola Jane bra too ... if I found their sizing ok I’d buy from their sales. They seem to be popular. I agree that it’s not as good as seeing in shop though. 

Let’s hope our bra hunting goes well 🤔 

Hi Linda. If it’s to do with internal scarring I would suggest keep doing your designated exercises post op...  Ask your Bcn when you can do something like Pilates, yoga or swimming if they will help.  Scars take up to 18 months to finally settle as it takes that long to heal and tissues to strengthen. Keep on with massage. If you’re seeing your surgeon he’s the best one to ask and get advice. Hope you’re doing ok. 

Anyone know what to do re scarring from my SLNB that my surgeon saw inside? I used bio oil for 3 months. I will ask him next week what the implications are.

Michelle... hope rads are going ok and se’s are keeping at bay. We have a mix of fence, walls and hedge... OH does hedge too. Hope your training on Pen y Fan goes well 🏔 Those choccie biscuits will have done the trick. 

My foob fitter is from North Wales .. had a chat about learning Welsh. She’s done her job for 35 years so I trusted her judgement when trying on foobs. I asked for light and cool. She measures first, then gives you a bra, which you keep, then you try foobs. She tells you how to look after them, the does and donts. As I’m often out and about flat, and went to my appointment like that, she did tell me that even small breasted women over time will can find their posture changing if not wearing foob. She said women can find they start to have trips and falls and it could be due to imbalance. I do wear foob all day sometimes, but did say I would wear foob at least 2 hours a day .. I’ll need to get used to wearing a proper bra again anyway 😂 I’ve started balance exercises just in case ... not getting any younger lol.

My staging is on my Histology reports... just remembered I’d seen it somewhere.

Clare ... my OH was eyeing the mince pies but decided on the mini stollen as a treat as less carbs. Fingers crossed for you brother and cousins results. I know of someone who’s had 3 re excisions after their initial WLE. I think it will depend on size of breast as to how many can be done (?).  Pleased to hear you are se free, apart from extremities. Hope you get the go ahead for chemo.

Kip ... Stollen rules ok... I do like it. The mini bites from Aldi are quite nice. Well done on your exercises ... great you are up to shoulder height... keep on going 💪  Pleased you’re feeling good. Hope you get your drain out soon. Will you start rads in about 4 weeks?..... last leg beckons 😊 🌈 

J xxx

Kip Community Champion
Community Champion

Feenix, ive been eating stolen too!!  And biscuits... Also doing the exercises, arm up to shoulder height so far!  Feeling pretty good at moment.

Cdc glad you are feeling SE free thats a relief and excellent idea to worry about surgery later.  Get through chemo first.  As for staging etc what is m0?  

Michelle good to hear nails return to normal, my thumbs are flaky at the ends.

Looks like the biscuits are catching us all..  yummm

Kip

Mini stollen Jean? Does that mean I can start on the mince pies?? I was sorely tempted when I saw some in the supermarket yesterday,

I’m trying to get about surgery until I see the Breast surgeon at Barts next week.

With regards to staging I have my TNM numbers at the top of all my letters. I think that’s the staging but not sure now. In a way it really is irrelevant but I wonder why Barts put it on their correspondence if other NHS trusts don’t. I just look at the M0 which I think is regarding spread and find that reassuring.
Hope you enjoy your digestive fuelled walk Michelle. Where is Pen y Fan? Sounds familiar. My Mums family are from South Wales originally.

Kip I darent look under my varnis but I think having a bit of a break from chemo is helping my nails, They do seem rather brittle. Hope you’re doing ok today.

My cousin has to have another re-excision unfortunately but fingers crossed for clear margins this time, I wonder how many re-excision people can have? This will be her 3rd op, the first being a lumpectomy I believe. My brother is off on a well deserved family holiday so hasn’t had his results yet. Just got to think positively,

I’m feeling SE free (apart from my blinking toes/feet). Waiting to hear if I’ll get the go ahead for chemo tomorrow.

Best wishes everyone xxx

Hello all!
Your consultation sounds very confusing CDC! What a totally pointless thing to say regarding treatment in another country and then contradicting his/her own opinion by suggesting bi lateral mastectomy is the way to go!! I’m not surprised you were confused when you left. I hope your appointment on thursday proves more useful.
What a shame they didn’t have your foob size Jean, hope they can get it soon. Did you get to try some and did you find them comfortable? Painting fences is very impressive. I always used to be the one who did it in our old house but we are in the country now so have hedges. Lucky for me my OH cuts those!
I’ve never been given a stage either Kip. I was told it didn’t mean much as everyone is different, I did work out according to the BCC info I was 2B. But I think the fact it is (was) grade 3 is a bigger problem!
When I took my nail varnish off my nails looked nicotine stained too but that fades fairly quickly. The ridges do take a while, mine have just about gone now and are actually in pretty good shape.
A friend of mine came over this afternoon with guess what? A packet of choc digestives! We had a couple and she left the packet which I’ve finished off tonight! I actually feel sick I’ve eat so many!
On a plus side I need the energy as I’m going to walk up Pen y Fan tomorrow which is the highest peak in South Wales! It’s training for my trek in Feb, I’ll let you know how I get on.
Have a lovely evening, enjoy the biscuits and mini stollen! X

Kip ... pleased you’ve had a good first post op night. Have you started some gentle exercises?Your OH is right ... I always say I didnt know my expiry date before bc, during, and after bc. But I know that its difficult to get such worries out of your head once it’s popped in. ... it pops into my head now and then and I wish it wouldn’t.

I’ve had my foob fitting but she didn’t have my size so will get it next week. I’ve been given a bra, and although I’ve been in anything from b to d cup this one is a c. I’ll probably buy some from Asda 😃 

Hope you enjoy your biscuits ... I’ve gone onto mini Stollen.... mmm

Hope everyone is ok this evening

xx

Kip Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Feenix you are good painting fences!  I hate that.  I slept ok, hate being back onto sleeping on my back though.

CDC i also have never been given a stage either, come to that i never get copies of anything either.  I did ask about my stage on Monday and bcn nurse said then dont really use  them here and just go by grade.  She said the Onc woukd know though if i was interested, j think id worry too .much.  i havent had any predicted survival rates either nor have i looked that terrifies me although OH says nobody knows their survial rate BC or not!  I spend long enough worrying ahout surviving at the moment, struggling to get it out of my head.  Perhaps a biscuit will help.  

Ive taken mh nAil varnish off now and my nails have so many ridges and are discoloured and look like i smoke 40 a day ... Yuck .Might paint them again.

Kip

Michelle .. quarter of a way through is great ... your game to relieve the boredom is good memory training 🤔 

Kip ... hope you have a good night... 

Clare ... keep eating the biscuits.. be prepared 😊  It’s not helpful when the Marsden surgeon was giving conflicting info but if he would want his female relative to have bilateral mx that’s very telling. Goodness knows which country he was thinking of but he should have been giving you advice based on treatment guidelines based in the uk, your circumstances now and your family history..surely?. Ultimately it’s your decision. You have time to deliberate on your surgical treatment and get some insight from your original surgeon. Your numb toes sound quite debilitating. How’s your cousin and brother ... have they had their results? It’s good that your sisters are going to be seen at the high risk clinics and be checked out. Hope your sisters mri will be ok. You’ve got such a lot going on, to think about. 

Hope you had a good dinner and a biscuit or 5.

After a marathon fence painting afternoon yesterday, and feeling extremely tired last night I felt really good this morning... thought I would be hobbling. I’ve got a foob fitting tomorrow. I was hoping to be like a spelk by now.. obviously not after the amount of biscuits I’ve had. I need salad. My bcn emailed me yesterday...she’s been off sick for 5weeks so that’s why I’ve not heard back from her. 

J xx

I’m so happy this thread is back!! So great to hear your news that all went smoothly with your Kip! Very impressed you were in the theatre at 9 and got back home by 2.30! Sending gentle hugs! Hope you have a good sleep tonight. Xxx

I’m doing ok today after my strange appointment at the Marsden yesterday left me feeling out of sorts, I’ll be seeing the surgeon who did my original TM at Barts next week to see what her take is- the consultant at at the Marsden kept repeating that in another country I wouldn’t be having a mastectomy as they’re not so worried about margins. My treatment would be considered ‘done’. However, when my OH asked him what he’d recommend if he was seeing a female relative in my position he replied ‘A bilateral mastectomy’. So confused! His manner was so unsympathetic. Not sure what to do now as I have such differing opinions. Oh well at least my surgeon at Barts had a wonderful manner. Also my former BCN was covering in clinic today and sent me a message saying how good the vascular surgeons are at the Royal London where I’d have my reconstruction if I stay with my current hospital. Oh well- I’ve got an oncology appointment on Thursday and the consultant at Marsden said there’s no hurry to do more surgery so maybe I should just focus on getting through chemo. Still have real problems with lack of feeling in my toes on the right. I can usually ignore it but from time to time today I found it very odd walking on feet that feel like they’re frozen!
1/4 of the way through with rads Michelle - it does sound monotonous butreat you’ve thought of a game to while away the time!,
Jean interesting to read you haven’t been given a stage. I have mine printed at the top of all the copies of my letters but not sure how relevant it is. No one has given me a predicted survival rate due to having two tumours but I also did the Nottingham test - not that great but Predict seems to show a much better prognosis thank goodness! I also need to think about diet but consultant yesterday didn't feel I’d be a suitable candidate for implants but I don’t have enough of a tummy if I want two reconstructed breasts! I think my belly is huge so not sure what size he’s expecting me to be afterwards!! Oh well did make me think I’d better eat some more biscuits then!!
I’m feeling much better in myself having a bit of a break from the chemo and my hair is definitely growing back but I do just want to get on with it now so I can get on with the next part of treatment - if I need any??? I’m also 8/8 so whatever happens will need hormone therapy. Interestingly my younger sister saw a Breast surgeon today to discuss her latest mammogram, It looks ok but she was told she needs an MRI scan due to dense tissue. He has also referred her urgently to the very high familial risk BC clinic near her im Surrey and told her our older sister needs to do the same in her area. Hearing this makes me think I want to go for more radical surgery. Oh well seems to be a different approach depending on who you see.

Well take care everyone. I’m going to put my poor feet up for the rest of the evening. Just got to persuade my OH to get me some dinner-or some biscuits!!
C xxx

Back home already Kip, that’s great! Pleased all went well. Hopefully you won’t have the drain in for too long.
Rads going ok Thanks Jean. I’m playing a little game with myself, counting the number of radiologists that see me topless, I’m up to 10 so far! It’s going to get harder each day as I try to remember if I’ve seen them before.
Yes I think that sums up how monotonous rads is, still almost 1/4 way through!
Hope everything is good with you x

Great news Kip. It makes such a difference being first on list. Hope you are comfy and drain not too much of a nuisance. Positive vibes coming your way xx

Michelle .. hope rads going ok.

Kip Community Champion
Community Champion

We are back....  Yippee.

Well I'm home and already had cake!  Op went well and was first on list...  In theatre at 9 and baxk jn recovery at 10.30. And home by 2.30 so very happy.  Surgeon was nice he did level 2 clearance and said it shouldnt make too much difference to next treatment as chemo should have done its stuff so will trh to think positively.

Thanks for all your kind wishes it makes all the difference.  

Kip

Xx

Hooray! We are back! I wrote such a long post yesterday and lost it!
Hope today goes well Kip, let us know x

Kip ... your OH is right, at least we have found our nastie and it’s being dealt with giving us many many years at the biscuit tin 😀 

Hope you haven’t long to wait before getting down to theatre. 

Clare ... how are you today?

Michelle... hope rads are going ok 

Sally ... hope you’re enjoying your break

Xx

Highlighted
Kip Community Champion
Community Champion

Feenix,  yes you are right I think ,sometimes too much information can blow your mind, I've not asked or been given any prediction as to outcome, not sure I can handle that either.   But actually you reminded me that at my last appointment with my surgeon when we discussed me not having rads to my armpit area (they are only doing breast wall and collar bone, she said that way I can keep Rads to the axillary area as a back up for the future if needed, so you are right, you have some weapons in your artillery should you ever need them, fingers crossed we never need them but they are there.  As my OH tried to tell me this monring, we should, in a way, be grateful that we are the ones being monitored for any other nasties, the rest of the people out there could be carrying something they haven't found yet... I guess he's right.. still scary though.

I am 8/8 oestrogen positive too, so should avoid that biscuit tin...but its soo hard isn't it.  Just found a bag of haribos....now eating those.. oh dear!  Oh well can't eat after midnight to night.. so better stock up now.

Kip

xx

Morning Kip

Been thinking how you were doing as op tomorrow. Just caught up with your chemo thread and you’ve had good info from your bcn which seems logical and very reassuring. Definitely miraculous that you got her straight away. Stress and the what ifs, wondering, definitely affect sleep. Just part of trying to cope with everything and a reminder of your first op and waiting for results.

I was never given a stage, only grade, and only looked in the bcc booklet to see what I would be but I’ve not looked into that since. I’ve never had percentages re survival either, and I’ve never asked although I did do the old predict in the beginning as wasn’t impressed with my Nottingham score on my first histology report.... that’s old hat these days so I discounted it. I think that in depth information isn’t helpful in some instances as it can have a negative affect. Statistics etc are more for the MDT who have to decide what is the best treatment/s to give. I sometimes wonder at ‘just’ having surgery. I did have a micromet of miniscule proportions but that’s classed as negative but it does creep into my mind that my axilla didn’t even warrant a quick zap. I comfort myself with the thought if anything crops up in that area I can have surgery and rads ... and that the other 3 nodes and intermammary gland were negative (2 extra looked at after mx). If anything has gone walkabout just hope letrozole does a good job. I have to laugh at what I find a comfort these days. As I’m 8/8 oestrogen positive I need to reduce my body fat ... the biscuits really should go but have had a couple already but should burn the calories off as I’m fence painting this morning. 

Ill be thinking of you ... hopefully they won’t have you hanging around too long pre op tomorrow.

Clare ... hope you’ve got your feet up. How’s the fatigue?

Michelle ... have you had a break from rads over the weekend? 

Xx

Kip Community Champion
Community Champion

Morning Feenix, Michelle and the gang...

Hope you all had a good weekend?   I have been getting very stressed about the surgery tomorrow but have just had a nice chat with the BCN who has answered some questions for me and put my mind at rest on some issues, so trying to calm myself down.   Didn't sleep well last night and guessing I'll have little tonight, have to be at hospital for 7.30 so a very early start too.  Just want to get it done and home again.  Unfortuantely she did say I'll have a drain again... thought I had seen the last of those blighters, but hey ho, it wasn't too bad I guess just a pain having to carry that lovely floral bag around with me.. so here we go again!

Might just have to have more biscuits to see me through!

Kip

xx